Non-med solution for prenatal depression? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. My friend is having severe prenatal depression due to her and her partner breaking up. She can't sleep, can't eat, and is crying all the time. She wants to drink beer. Her support system isn't too great, and neither her doctor or doula is being supportive. She lives in another state so there is not much I can do to help her besides do research and talk to her on the phone.
She won't take meds, can't afford counseling.
There is not nearly as much information on prenatal depression as there is postnatal depression in my books or on the net.
Here's what I have so far:
Cod Liver Oil (She's vegetarian, so I have suggested she be taking Udo's or at least flax oil)
Sam-e (Had never heard of it before, but my midwife says she thinks its safe during pregnancy) Anyone ever use this?
Chamomile and Valerian, to calm her down when she's feeling hysterical.
What I really need is to lift her spirits. I am assuming Lemon Balm is safe during pregnancy. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Anybody been there, done that, treated it with herbs, flower essences, or homeopathy? What worked for you? Any good books?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Honestly the best things would probably be lots of sunshine and getting some exercise. They both do wonders for the disposition.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:15 PM

It's the last thing in the world she will probably want to do, but I highly recommend some sort of exercise every day. My pregnancy is night and day different than the last one where I didn't exercise. It is so worth it!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Sunshine and excercise! Of course! Thank you. Another friend mentioned getting enough sleep. I know she's not gettting enough of any of these things. I will remind her.
Meanwhile, any other suggestions?
Old 05-20-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleearthmama View Post
Sunshine and excercise! Of course! Thank you. Another friend mentioned getting enough sleep. I know she's not gettting enough of any of these things. I will remind her.
Meanwhile, any other suggestions?
A good diet helps. Low blood sugar can make anyone feel like crap.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:04 PM

I just wanted to chime in on the exercise/depressiong thing... I have a friend who's daughter was killed in a car accident a few years ago. She didn't want to go on anti-depressants because of the side effects. Her doctor told her that 30 minutes of exercise a day causes your brain to release the same chemicals that a low dose of Prozac does. So she's been making sure to work out daily ever since.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irony_optional View Post
A good diet helps. Low blood sugar can make anyone feel like crap.
Yeah she said she's been drinking pop, which is so unlike her, she's usually pretty healthy.
And being veggie she has to work harder to get her protein needs met.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
I just wanted to chime in on the exercise/depressiong thing... I have a friend who's daughter was killed in a car accident a few years ago. She didn't want to go on anti-depressants because of the side effects. Her doctor told her that 30 minutes of exercise a day causes your brain to release the same chemicals that a low dose of Prozac does. So she's been making sure to work out daily ever since.
Wow, I will have to tell her about the Prozac/excercise connection.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:45 PM

Gosh I'm so sorry that this is happening to your friend...sometimes life hands us such heartbreak at such confusing and awful times...I know that everything will work out great for her in the end...but I know that doesn't help at all with the "now".

I have to second what others have said about exercise...getting out for a walk in the sun will help her to sort her thoughts and reconnect with herself...eating healthy foods will also do her a world of good.

Also....having friends like you to care about her and keep in touch will be such an awesome medicine for her...bless you for being a caring friend even though you are far away and at a loss for how to help her. Your energy going into this will help in the end. Big hugs to both of you and I am sending healing and peaceful vibes out to you both.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

Old 05-20-2008, 07:02 PM

I have been told that lemon balm is safe.

Coconut oil, good for overall health.

Rescue Remedy spray for the worst moments.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to add another suggestion from my midwife in case anyone else is looking for alternatives.
She had a client who got a B-12 shot every two weeks and that really helped her.

User Tag List