34 Weeks In Labor!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am officially in PTL, I was seen yesterday at L&D and monitored for HOURS, and every hour my cervix dialted more. I am now 2 cm. They gave me a shot of terbutaline in my arm and it HAS NOT helped. I am still contracting, and mad as hell because the nurse was extra rough while checking my cervix, I actually feel as if I'm in MORE pain. I was against the shot to begin with, next time I will trust my instincts. I just want to deal with it here at home, if labor gets real strong, I will not let them stop it. He is already close to six pounds, so you know what? I'm not going to fight. I tried and the meds didn't work, and I will not continue to just be pumped full of drugs that may or may not be doing my baby harm.

Anybody ever experience getting the shot or meds to stop labor, and they DIDN'T work??? What would you do?
#2 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 01:49 PM

I would NOT allow anymore vaginal checks. Every time they do that they stir things up down there. I am getting ready to have dinner, but I'll come back after to post my experience with PTL at 27-29 weeks.

Did they offer a cortisone shot? If not ask and take it. It hastens the lung development and forces the lungs to produce surfactant. It HURTS, but it's worth it. I am not sure it 34 weeks is beyond the point where you'd need it though.
#3 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 01:49 PM

Hi, I haven't had that same situation, but I did have a 34 week baby so I'm sending big your way.

Curiously, I just read this blog post yesterday about terbutaline. I would be extremely hesitant to allow it to be used any further if it were me.

Good luck to you. I'm sending vibes for the best possibly outcome for you.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#4 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilech View Post
Did they offer a cortisone shot? If not ask and take it. It hastens the lung development and forces the lungs to produce surfactant. It HURTS, but it's worth it. I am not sure it 34 weeks is beyond the point where you'd need it though.
Yes, please do get the steroid shot to help develop baby's lungs
#5 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilech View Post
My 34 week babe suffered lung collapse twice in the first 24 hours because her lungs just weren't mature yet. The shot would be worthwhile to ask for in all probability.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

#6 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 07:21 PM

You know your body. If the baby wants/needs to come out, guess what dr's and nurses.....IT'S GOING TO!

I refuse for the Dr's to tell me what to do with my body. I'm getting sick and tired of even going to Dr's appts. Every time they do an u/s, they do it vaginally...I feel violated.

I want to apoligize...my pg brain read 38 weeks instead of 34. I agree with these ladies.

Stupid brain!!!
#7 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 PM

I was given the shot & it did not work I ended up in hosp & they gave me magnesium sulfate drip to stop the labor
#8 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 PM

Why did they send you home if you are in ptl?

You do not want a 34 week baby to be delivered at home.

I would do the drugs to keep baby inside so that baby wouldn't spend weeks in the NICU. If you think you don't like how things are right now, I can't wait to hear what you think of the NICU

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#9 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 08:11 PM

They sent you home? What all *exactly* did they give you?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#10 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 08:40 PM

i cant believe they sent you home. i'd definitely call and ask about the cortisone. i hope your contractions stop soon!!!

if its any consolation i went into PTL with my first at 32 weeks and after bedrest (no meds) i was able to carry to 39 weeks.

I hope the same happens for you. *HUGS*!
#11 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 PM

Did they give you a steroid shot? Did they tell you to go on bedrest? I can't believe they just sent you home contracting with a 34 week baby...his weight isn't the issue, usually lungs aren't developed enough. Try and do what you need to to keep him in a few more weeks. and hang in there.
#12 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 PM

I agree that doing vaginal checks is a bad idea. They really don't tell them all that much.

Perhaps there is a reason you are in labor. There might be some reason he needs to come out and this close to full term I'd be inclined to let things happen.

Of course, rest, drink and eat as you should. I'd also look into homeopathic and natural methods to stop labor.

I hope that whatever you decide that you and your little one have a peaceful birth.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#13 of 28 Old 05-21-2008, 10:48 PM

I have two friends who had babies at 35 weeks, which is close to where you are now. Both babies were born healthy and have no problems now.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#14 of 28 Old 05-22-2008, 11:37 AM

It's so weird that they sent you home...I'd go back and get the cortisone at least and ask if they are recommending bedrest or what they're planning...

...hope everything works out well for you!
#15 of 28 Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
I would do the drugs to keep baby inside so that baby wouldn't spend weeks in the NICU. If you think you don't like how things are right now, I can't wait to hear what you think of the NICU
Wow, helpful response there. Did you even read the link about the dangers and ineffectiveness of terbutaline?
#16 of 28 Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 PM

I wish the OP would post and let us know if she and babe are ok.
#17 of 28 Old 05-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Babies in these last weeks are really sensitive- while his weight might be good, it doesn't mean his lungs are fully developed. I would caution you against just letting it happen at 34 weeks. I had an urgent cesarean at 35 weeks 6 days and Eidie was what is considered 'late-term-preterm', and they admitted that there is a lot of transitional things that happen with babies in those last weeks. It's just not worth the risk, IMO. I'm not saying terb is or isn't the answer (frankly I'd do anything to keep my baby inside of me knowing what I know now), but the risks to your baby being born early trump everything else.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#18 of 28 Old 05-22-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Wow, helpful response there. Did you even read the link about the dangers and ineffectiveness of terbutaline?
The OP was given one shot of terbutaline, and it was ineffective. There are other tocolytic medications that are now given instead of terbutaline that have been shown to be safer and can work when terbutaline doesn't - Procardia and Mag Sulfate are two. Once they saw that the terbutaline wasn't working, she should have been given something else. Simply doing nothing more than one ineffective shot of terbutaline is not worth the risks that a preemie born at this stage would face.
#19 of 28 Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 PM

10 years ago I did terbutaline and mag both. The contractions never actually stopped, but I stopped dialating after the mag. I made it to 38 weeks, started at 27 weeks. It was worth it.

My daughter didn't have any hypoglycemia, and her heart rates were normal during the times I was monitered. The hypoglycemia probably didn't happen because I stopped the terb at 36 weeks, but spend the next 2 weeks on bed rest anyway.

Mysticlotus, let us know you are ok!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#20 of 28 Old 05-22-2008, 07:06 PM

Here is a site with more information

http://www.twinslist.org/terbquestions.html

Not all those who wander are lost 
#21 of 28 Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am still at home contracting but mildly. Went to office yesterday and was monitored, and checked for rash. I had a bad reaction to the brethine. Thrush in my mouth, rash, and a large bruise at injection site. I also inquired about the steriods, they say I am measuiring fetal age more, 35.2 so they do not feel he would need it. It is MY personal preference to be at home, it's not that they SENT me home. I prefer to be in as much peace in my own surroundings. I do not intend on having a homebirth, I just prefer to do most of my laboring at home. I feel that childbirth is an intimate beautiful experience, and as long as the doctors say that he looks healthy, I want to maintain as much of that feeling as possible.

Naturally if he was in danger, my common sense would prevail. I will have the amnio at 36 weeks to check for surfactant production, I am scared. I 've three other kids and never had an amnio, but I am not new to pre-term babies! My oldest is 18 and he was born at 35-36 weeks at 5'9 0z and 19 in he is now 6'4 285 lbs wearing a 15 shoe! A bit of jaundice at birth, but nothing else. Besides, ourfaith is such that we are sure that things will be fine.

Thank you all for sharing your stories, I found much strength in much of what was said. I'd like to address the poster that wondered how much I'd like a NICU stay, opposed to the harmful drugs that have not been approved by the FDA as a med to stop contractions. Meds that have, however rare or infrequent, had adverse effects. Meds that do not work the same for every woman. Actually, I'd like it just fine as long as he would receive the proper care and love from the staff. Anyhow, I'm too much of a positive thinker to think about NICU, although it is always a possibility as it could be with a full term baby, it's just not in the cards for us! But I do appreciate your concern.

I will keep you all posted, thank you so much for your well wishes.

Love and Light
#22 of 28 Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 AM

Wishing you and the little one all the best. It sounds like you are peaceful and calm and doing well!

#23 of 28 Old 05-23-2008, 12:13 PM

I am so glad you are still cookin' that little one, mama!

I do have a question for you if you don't mind. If the doctors think that his lungs are developed enough that he doesn't need the steroid shot now, then why are they doing an amnio to check on his lung development at 36 weeks?
#24 of 28 Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 PM

I think the doctors are playing the odds re: the lungs - they don't like doing an amnio before 36 weeks because it can send you into labor AFAIK, also bleeding, PROM and infection are risks. Right now, if they wait, they can assume the baby's lungs are developing on schedule and figure that at 35 weeks that the lungs are close to being done maturing, enough that the shots may not make that much of a difference. Myself, I'd rather be safe than sorry - my OB didn't offer the steroids at 33 weeks, and fortunately, mine is still cooking at well, but I would have liked to have that option just in case.

Mysticlotus - good to hear your bun in still in the oven! Also, home is probably the best place for you to be to help your baby grow more - the more relaxed you are, the more energy your body can route to the baby. *hugs* hope everything keeps going well and keep us updated!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#25 of 28 Old 05-23-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Amy!
That seemed a bit of a contradiction to me as well! That's what I'm always saying about the medical world, everything is always a "guess". That's why I became proactive and start asserting how my treatment will be carried out from now on. Since they say I'm measuring bigger, then if I can sit on my big booty for at least another week. I'll be good. None of my others made it past 36. I think my body just does that naturally, if it makes sense. Some women's bodies kind of do thier own thing, so this may be the "norm" for me.

I'm learning to keep in mind, that the doctor works for ME, and without me, he/she would'nt have a job. So must I follow EVERYTHING they say, or do I consider it with what my own heart, mind, body AND husband feel? That's my position. Now that I think about it, hell, I might not even get the amnio. I never had one so I never knew the risks that they pose, I'm putting my own self on bedrest!! And hopefully that little bugger finishes cooking.
#26 of 28 Old 05-23-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mothers Love View Post
I was given the shot & it did not work I ended up in hosp & they gave me magnesium sulfate drip to stop the labor
This bothers me. I was induced due to eclampsia with DS, and I was given this drip to help with seizures. If it's used to delay labor, and it really does delay labor, I'm about to get a little irate with that hospital. I ended up in induced labor for 3 days before they finally figured out I WOULD NOT dialate, and landed in the OR for an emergency c-section!
#27 of 28 Old 05-23-2008, 03:18 PM

It's great that you're still cooking and feeling a bit better! The thought of amnio just scares me to death! But hugs and stay in there. You've got such a wonderful mindset through this time when things could be very hairy!
#28 of 28 Old 05-23-2008, 07:39 PM

Oh phew, I thought the way you wrote the initial post that they just dimissed you and sent you home. I'm glad the situation is a bit more under control than that. I'm not sure I wouldn't have asked for the steroid shot but it doesn't sound like it was a definite "yes" Good luck, I hope he stays in the longest of your babes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page