Anyone ELSE missing alcohol? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I can't be the only one here...

I mostly miss my favorite wine of all time- Merlot (and it really doesn't help that we have 3 shelves of wine in our living room! Thankfully, my husband is abstaining from the wine too to give me an easier time)-

Never was I a "big drinker"- I actually grew up in a family who hates the stuff, but after marrying into a big Irish family- let's just say I have definitely had some drinks with family at dinners and parties (not pregnant of course) and really enjoy a good casual drink with my husband.

But today, I am missing alcohol probably more than any other day so far in the pregnancy because tonight, we are celebrating my husband's birthday at a really nice 21 and over theater with some friends of ours where they serve you drinks and dinner during the movie!

Can we say, sad?

Oh well, at least I plan on having a glass of wine when I'm in labor...

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#2 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 08:02 PM

I see nothing wrong with having a glass of wine on occassion while pregnant. I have never drank during my 1st trimester but once or twice a month I will have a glass of wine or a beer. Especially in my 3rd trimester it helped me relax and sleep.

So no Im not missing my wine I had a glass last week

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#3 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 08:23 PM

Yes, I miss it desperately.

But I would never drink during pregnancy. I beat myself up for still drinking iced tea (caffeine). Although, I know that a few drinks are unlikely to hurt the baby, I would never forgive myself if something were to be wrong with this little one and I hadn't done all I could to insure it's health. DH would also be super upset if I drank. He worries so much about us (baby and I) as it is. I think of it as my first sacrafice of motherhood. I'll live and Limoncello will be served immediately following my homebirth.

''''

#4 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 PM

I'm not a drinker either but today I saw an ad for Fat Tire beer. It's my favorite of all beers...there aren't many I like.

It sounded so good. I'll just get my hubby to crack one open and take a few sips.

I never buy a bottle of wine though cause I'm the only one who would drink it and more than half the bottle would get thrown away.
#5 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 08:33 PM

I have seriously been craving cocktails. *sigh* - only 7 more months... until i breastfeed. *sigh*
#6 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbloom View Post
I have seriously been craving cocktails. *sigh* - only 7 more months... until i breastfeed. *sigh*
Lol. I had to do a double take when I read that. I still drink while breastfeeding...

I just do it in moderation. But I noticed that last time around, if I drank wine with dinner...the baby sure slept a lot that night, lol. Another reason to drink in moderation and not overdue it!

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#7 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I'm not a drinker either but today I saw an ad for Fat Tire beer. It's my favorite of all beers...there aren't many I like.

It sounded so good. I'll just get my hubby to crack one open and take a few sips.

I never buy a bottle of wine though cause I'm the only one who would drink it and more than half the bottle would get thrown away.
Fat Tire is really good...But the beer I miss most is a tall cold dark glass of Guinness...

Mmm...

Stop, thinking, about, it

-Caitrin

#8 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbloom View Post
Ohh. Speaking of that...My husband just invented the coolest drink the other night that he let me sip ever so slightly...

It's a complete cherry drink made with a ton of merchino cherries, vodka and cherry liquore...After the sip I wanted to throw it at him because I was so mad that he made such a good drink that I couldn't have.

-Caitrin

#9 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 09:04 PM

YES! :
I am missing red wine and champagne dearly. I used to drink a glass or three of red wine nearly every night with dinner and it was so nice! I'm seriously mourning the loss of wine from my life. It doesn't help that I just finished my first year of law school, my friend just graduated law school, and DH and I just celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary, but I couldn't toast any of those occasions! Such a bummer.

Also, we're going to a wedding in Jamaica this weekend - with that crowd, everyone will be drinking all day and night and I'm going to feel like such a bore - especially since I'm not ready to tell any of them about being pregnant. I'll be drinking a whole lot of seltzer with lime, so it looks like gin/vodka tonic. *sigh* It sucks to be sober around drunk people!

BTW, I've put fancy chocolate bars by the wine glasses and baby books on top of the wine cellar so I can be distracted and happy when I see those daily reminders of the wine I can't drink.

As an aside, does anyone have any research on the safety of moderate wine/alcohol consumption during pregnancy (or research on the lack of positive proof of danger in low doses)? DH is very against me drinking at all, even though his mother did with him, but I find it rather implausible that a single glass of wine with food every few days or week in the third trimester will do anything at all to the baby. That's just my feeling, though, so it would be helpful to shore it up with research, especially to convince DH that I'm not committing child abuse for having the occasional drink near the end.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#10 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 09:09 PM

Me! I'm fine with having the occasional glass of wine or beer in the second or third trimesters but what I really want is a nice, cold margarita or bourbon slush. Neither will be happening for me for months.

The hardest part will be my girl's weekend this summer. I'm renting a house in the mountains with 30 friends and I'm the only pregnant lady who will be there. I'll have to watch them drink and not be able to have any myself. Torture.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#11 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 09:17 PM

I think the problem is its almost impossible to do a controlled study on it so it remains that "no known amount of alcohol is considered safe" But I don't think there is much evidence to say that very light drinking is harmful, just none to say its safe either and larger amounts do cause problems.

I won't drink during pregnancy because my body does not handle alcohol particularly well, but since I didnt' know I was pregnant til I was 6 weeks along and passover came in that time....well nothing to do about that.

I haven't been missing the little bit of drinking I did prepregnancy but last pregnancy the smell of sake was just so delicious and I wanted to go live in a sake bottle, and this time around I was reading a cocktail menu and I started just craving the smell and taste of scotch or bourbon. Weird huh?
#12 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 09:17 PM

I'm craving a margarita. I haven't had one since before my DS was conceived (summer '05), but all of a sudden, I just need a margarita. DH bought some mix and made me a virgin one, but it's not the same.

I did have two sips of champagne at SIL's wedding this weekend

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#13 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I am missing red wine and champagne dearly. I used to drink a glass or three of red wine nearly every night with dinner and it was so nice! I'm seriously mourning the loss of wine from my life.
:
I am definitely missing wine/champagne the most. But as summer is coming, I'm missing beer, too. I bought some non-alcoholic beer and it's just not the same.
I've been having a sip of DH's beer here and there and I've had a glass of wine here and there, too. But sigh. I can't wait to be able to have a couple of drinks after this kid is born.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#14 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebugsmom View Post
Me! I'm fine with having the occasional glass of wine or beer in the second or third trimesters but what I really want is a nice, cold margarita or bourbon slush. Neither will be happening for me for months.

The hardest part will be my girl's weekend this summer. I'm renting a house in the mountains with 30 friends and I'm the only pregnant lady who will be there. I'll have to watch them drink and not be able to have any myself. Torture.
Ugh! I feel your pain..

-Caitrin

#15 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 PM

After reading the FAS page on wikipedia, it actually assured me that I could drink (in small amounts) during the pregnancy safely. I even found a (small) study that said taht women who drink wine during pregnancy have smarter babies (as measured by some test at 6 months, I think). There was a big population study of 400,000 women in the UK and found no harm if the mom drank less than 8.5 drinks a week. My OB friend (the one who loves forceps, doesn't trust MWs, is pro every intervention) says that among her colleagues they agree that one drink a week is safe, but never tell their patients that.

So for me, I have no more than one drink at a sitting and no more than 2-3 x per week. Alcohol is a social habit for me that is hard to break, and a glass of wine with DH by the fireplace does wonders for my mood.
#16 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 PM

Um, yes. ME!!!!!

I wanted a mimosa so badly the other morning!

What I don't get is why I'd be craving alchohol, when I can't even choke down the coffe I love!?

Oh, and there's a bottle of cask and cream caramel under my sink. . . That may be a problem. . . .

I can wait till the baby's here, I had a drink occasionally while nursing DS, and it had no appreciable effect on him whatsoever.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#17 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 PM

It is hilarious that you should mention that....with dd2 I craved and I mean craved a pina colada in the worst way. I felt so guilty (why I dont know) but ended up getting a pina colada mix and mixing it with vanilla ice cream and was happy. Also had an orange dream with tang and vanilla ice cream: My husbands friends thought it was hilarious because I am muslim ( am a convert so used to have a drink every so often) and they dont drink alcohol at all.
#18 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 PM

I only crave alcohol and soda when I'm pregnant

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#19 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 PM

Now that the weather here is consistently warm I am longing for a fresh made margarita. I do have sips of wine and beer when DH has one but those haven't been hard to give up. But man, when its hot out and I'm enjoying a beautiful mexican meal with my family and everyone except me has a beautiful fresh margarita, its HARD! I may steal a sip but that doesn't satisfy the craving. I swear I am going to want a margarita right after I give birth, lol.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#20 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 11:21 PM

I went through a "I really miss red wine" phase during the end of my first trimester and the start of my second trimester. I noticed during the same time I was always craving red grapes. I ate so many bunches of red grapes I finally realized that my body was probably trying to make up for the loss of wine with an abundance of grapes. So, if you're really missing wine, try adding red grapes to your diet!

I'm now at the point where I feel comfortable having an ounce of red wine with dinner once or twice a week. We found a dessert liquor glass that looks like a mini wine glass but it only holds an ounce, so I feel like I'm having a "glass" and I know it's not possible to "accidentally" put in too much wine like if I was using a regular sized glass.

I'll probably be a small glass with dinner type person after the baby is here and I'm BFing.
#21 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 11:48 PM

I told the man that there better be a large margarita (with salt on the rim) ready for me after I deliver.
#22 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't miss it because I don't skip it. I'm not a huge drinker in general, but I've had a few glasses of wine throughout the pregnancy. The other night I was dying for a mudslide so I asked the bartender to 1/2 the amount of alcohol, drank 1/3 of the drink and gave the rest to my husband.

God it was good.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#23 of 75 Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 AM

Next time I get pregnant it will be in the winter! Summer to me means margaritas and wine coolers at barbecues. Not this year I was feeling so guilty that I wanted tequila until I read this thread.

obstruct livery vehicles

#24 of 75 Old 05-22-2008, 01:52 AM

I don't see anything wrong with having a glass of wine or a beer here and there when pregnant.
I certainly did, and my DS is fine!

In fact I also allowed myself a single cup of coffee every day at work (5 days a week)

Everything in moderation, I say.
#25 of 75 Old 05-22-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
I only crave alcohol and soda when I'm pregnant
ME TOO!!!

When not pregnant I go through months of having 4 drinks a week, and months of no alcohol at all. I like it and can kind of get into the whole wine tasting thing sometimes, but it's just generally not especially on my radar. I NEVER drink soda. Never. Zero per decade.

When pregnant I crave wine all the time! Look longingly at other diners' glasses when out to eat, glare at my husband if he has a beer at dinner when I can't, it's ridiculous. And I consider myself virtuous for being able to keep the coke consumption to 2-3/week.
#26 of 75 Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 AM

Add me to the list. DH brews his own beer and I make my own cordials and liquors. On my to-do list for the birth and labor is a note to make a new batch of my strawberry cordial to sip while I'm in labor and for after the birth to relax me a bit.
DH and I were at the bottle redemption the other day and they had those little Kahula mixers in a cold case. I wanted one SOOOOOOOOOOO badly!!

I'm sure in my 3rd trimester, during the long hot summer, I'm going to crave my Dirty Limonade drink really bad. That's when I'll pull out this thread and show it to DH and say "See, I can too have a drink once in a while!!"

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#27 of 75 Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
I told the man that there better be a large margarita (with salt on the rim) ready for me after I deliver.
Yep, gotta have salt on the rim

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#28 of 75 Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 AM

I crave alcohol and soda (well we mostly call it pop here) when pregnant too. I don't drink pop normally. I'd be surprised if I have 5 cans a year. And I NEVER drink beer and its so appealing to me when I'm pregnant. I wonder why that is? I'm pretty lucky because my favourite drink makes into a virgin version really well and it does the trick for a craving. I wouldn't hesitate to have a little bit of champagne at a wedding or a few sips of my husbands beer if I really wanted it (or even a whole beer very occasionally but I never seem to want that much, just a taste). And, I give in to my soda cravings which are much less strong since about 5 months. I'd have one a day if I really felt the urge. And I still have my morning cup of coffee since my aversions went away around 4 months. I usually only pour about a half cup, add milk and then if an opportunity for coffee comes up later, like if I'm out socializing, I don't feel guilty having another 1/2 cup. I think sometimes we worry too much but better safe than sorry I guess.
#29 of 75 Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 AM

I agree totally on the "worry too much"

Maisea that study sounds cool, it must have been done since last time I did a search on it, where did you see it referenced?

This time around I'm just so not into following all the hoops they ask pregnant women to jump through. Drinking isn't one I'll do personally only because I know I just don't handle it well even not pregnant but its just really hard for me to believe that a drink or two a week of wine or beer or even a small amount of hard alcohol could hurt the baby.
#30 of 75 Old 05-22-2008, 10:09 AM

YES! I didn't even like drinking before I got pregnant, but now I am finding myself craving a beer (which I hated before!) or sniffing at my husband's mixed drink if we're at a restaurant. I have taken a few sips of his beers here and there and ohh. man. I don't know why I ever hated beer. lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page