The Jordan & Nike thread that'll be gone soon - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else read the title and expect a discussion about using/avoiding names that are also brand names?
#2 of 18 Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 PM

Yeah, totally!! But while we're at it... I saw a book called something like "What NOT to name your baby" and I think it had a brand names section...

Like, in that South Park episode with the Rainsins girls (aka, 4th grade Hooters)... all their names were car names! Lexus, Mercedes, Porche, etc...

Also there's... people naming their kids... after STD's...

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?sid=142203&nid=25

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#3 of 18 Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 PM

Usually the STD thing is urban legend.

Jordan and Nike though were both respectable names before Nike became a brand name. Actually so is Mercedes,and Portia is pronounced the same as Porsche so I think sometimes people just get confused with the spelling. Similarly with Lexus and Alexis.
#4 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 10:08 AM

I think namking my kid Alexis is the closest I'll ever get to owning a Lexus. Maybe THAT'S why people do it?

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#5 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 AM

Way back on another forum I was on a woman had twins and named them Kendall and Jackson. Maybe she really didn't know about the wine, or maybe she really liked it.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#6 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 10:21 AM

agreed - but in this day and age a lot of people are more into shock than anything else, unfortunately. We knew a family with the last name Pig, and they named their daughters Ima and Ura.
#7 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 10:33 AM

There is a wine called kendall and jackson?
#8 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 AM

It's a vineyard, they do a lot of wines, best known for their chardonnay... Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#9 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 12:22 PM

And you know Nike was also a name a long, long time before it was a brand name. It is the name of a Greek goddess. I know a woman whose father taught classical Greek and she is named Nike. It's pronounced Nee-kee, or anyway that's how they pronounced it. Her sisters were named Cassandra, Zoe, Theodora, and Penelope. She is old enough that the brand Nike hadn't really hit the scene when she was a kid.
#10 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempd View Post
And you know Nike was also a name a long, long time before it was a brand name. It is the name of a Greek goddess. I know a woman whose father taught classical Greek and she is named Nike. It's pronounced Nee-kee, or anyway that's how they pronounced it. Her sisters were named Cassandra, Zoe, Theodora, and Penelope. She is old enough that the brand Nike hadn't really hit the scene when she was a kid.
That's actually really pretty - If I were going to have a whole pantheon of kids, I'd totally do this...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#11 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
Usually the STD thing is urban legend.
Unfortunately, sometimes it's not! My friend who is a L&D nurse recently had a mom name her little girl some variant of Chlamydia!

I have heard of an Ima & Ura Pig from my grandmother allegedly about a North Texas family since I was a small child. Those with the surname Pig must have a great sense of humor.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#12 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnassistedMomma View Post
Unfortunately, sometimes it's not! My friend who is a L&D nurse recently had a mom name her little girl some variant of Chlamydia!

I have heard of an Ima & Ura Pig from my grandmother allegedly about a North Texas family since I was a small child. Those with the surname Pig must have a great sense of humor.
Kind of -- Ima was the daughter of Governor James Hogg.

http://www.famoustexans.com/imahogg.htm

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#13 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM

dp

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#14 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 PM

We did not know about the car or TV channel when we named our son Ion There was a videogame machine at the laundromat but we thought that was pretty harmless.
#15 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 02:48 PM

My DH actually suggested Jordan, but I nixed it. All I can think of when I hear Jordan is England's version of Pam Anderson, Katie Price, who goes by the name Jordan, although I think she may have dropped it.
#16 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbloom View Post
agreed - but in this day and age a lot of people are more into shock than anything else, unfortunately. We knew a family with the last name Pig, and they named their daughters Ima and Ura.
I've heard this story too from my mom except the last name was Hogg. I wonder if this is another urban legend? What part of the country are you from? I'm in the South East.

ETA:

When I worked at a hospital doing birth certificates, we had a woman name her twin boys Lemonjello and Orangejello (pronounced lay-mon-jell-o and o-ronj-jell-o) because that was the food she craved most during pregnancy. Disney movie names were a big hit with the young single mamas too. There were alot of baby girls named Jasmine and Ariel which I think is pretty but the one that surprised me most was after the Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie came out, a mama named her son Quasi Modo.
#17 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving_grace View Post
the one that surprised me most was after the Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie came out, a mama named her son Quasi Modo.

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#18 of 18 Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 PM

I went to school with an Italian girl called Candida. Mmmm, yeasty!

Jordan was a super trendy name for boys here in the UK about 10 years ago.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page