Anyone else contract a lot through pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-22-2008, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're having our 3rd baby and I have a LOT of ctx... but this is normal for me. I'm almost 27 wks and rested WAY more than normal today... tonight I had ctx 3 min apart for a while then 4 then 5 then 7 then finally 9 and after that they went away (2.5ish hrs total). My last pg I had ctx no more than every 5-10 min 24/7 from 32 wks. Had to go to L&D at 34 wks b/c of leg swelling (I've had lots of knee surgeries so clots are a real concern pg or not) and was having ctx every 6 min like clockwork and got early labor warning but didn't deliver until a day shy of 38 wks. Same w/DS1 (early labor warning around 32 wks but didn't deliver until after 41wks). I was in denial about my 2nd labor until I was in hard active labor b/c I was sooo used to having ctx at 3 min I thought nothing of it. Does anyone else just contract a lot? Any tips on easing it? I rest, drink lots of fluid, etc but nothing I do seems to change anything.
#2 of 6 Old 05-22-2008, 10:18 AM

I contracted a lot in my last pregnancy, a little nerve wracking to say the least since I had a cerclage in. I found that taking "slo-mag" which is a slow release magnesium tablet really helped and virtually stopped the contractions until after I got the cerclage out (when I stopped taking it) Not everyone has that degree of success with it but some find it very helpful.
#3 of 6 Old 05-22-2008, 10:21 AM

i had contractions from at least 16 weeks on. i went into OB triage twice before my actual labour. but i ended up delivering when i was 39 weeks. i think it's just normal for some women. at least that's what my OB said! lol
#4 of 6 Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 AM

I had the same thing with both pregnancies - my first being the "worst" for that, starting consistently at 32 weeks, every 5 minutes. I have been told that I have an "irritable uterus." I wound up having to go in for NST's every 3 days for the next 7 weeks, and was on bedrest.

With #2, I pretty much ignored the contractions until they became stronger a week before she was due. Then I was in progerssive labor, but it was slooooooow for 7 days.

Hoping this one goes more smoothly for you, and me too!
#5 of 6 Old 05-22-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I feel better knowing it's not just me... I have yet to have a MW that has told me it's normal for some people- but I really believe it is. I don't dialate real early... just ctx after ctx. Hoping all our babies bake nice and long and that we all have ease on the ctx!
#6 of 6 Old 05-22-2008, 02:51 PM

basically what i've been told is that if you're under 4cm dialated you "should" be okay (its less urgent because labor usually picks up and is pretty progressive, more quickly after 4). I was dialated to 3 1/2 for 7 weeks with DD1.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page