What prenatal vitamins do you use, if any? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I am not pregnant yet, but am looking to start prenatal vitamins per the recommendation of my doctor. What prenatal viatamins do you use? Or do you use some other combination of vitamins not specificially labeled "prenatal"?

Thanks!

Proud wife to my man and mommy to my pumpkin . We are dedicated to loving life and getting out of debt in 2010. - ask about our journey
#2 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 08:26 PM

prenatal vitamins made me sick so instead I took two childrens vitamins that equaled the amount of folic acid needed.
#3 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New Chapter Organic Prenatal - best absorption IMO - no bright yellow pee because you are using everything in them...

Calcium/Mag/Vit D Supplement that I take away from my prenatals in order to avoid having it counteract the iron in my prenatal...

Fiber - Psyllium Husk - it has saved my life and helped me avoid some of the wicked constipation I experienced early in my pregnancy

Thyroid food - not a synthetic, but a thyroid supplement from Standard Process - I have a touch of low thyroid, not enough to constitute a need for synthetic thyroid hormone...

Probiotic - acidophilus/biphidus

That's it for me!

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#4 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
prenatal vitamins made me sick so instead I took two childrens vitamins that equaled the amount of folic acid needed.
Same here. I usually don't take anything after 20 wks b/c I eat pretty well balanced but I got really anemic a few wks ago (I know b/c of how awful I felt) so I added back in Flintstones w/iron.
#5 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Rainbow Light Prenatal- once a day
Calc/mag
CLO
flax oil

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#6 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 PM

I take the perscription Materna because most others were making me sick in my first pregnancy, and i've just stuck with it ever since. I have a "thing" for the odd vanilly scent of them. They do make my pee bright green.

I also take fish oil because I need it for mood, and I'm trying to figure out if I should keep taking my calcium magnesium supplement or not? Anyone know? I keep forgetting to ask the MW so I haven't bought more yet.
#7 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 PM

I take Solgar Prenatal Nutrients. They don't make me sick at all, but I split them up - 2 with breakfast and 2 with dinner.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#8 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 PM

Rainbow Light 6x a day (i take 3 in the am and 3 in hte pm)
probiotics
DHA
#9 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 PM

I'm 23 weeks and just started prenatals about 2 weeks ago...I'm taking NF Prenatal Forte...and ca/mag supplement.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#10 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 PM

I LOVE VitaNatal, given to me by my MW. I used to be a generic kind of girl, but I really like what's in the VN vitamins. However, I probably wouldn't start them until I was pg. and just take something cheaper until then, as to not drain the pocketbook.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#11 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 PM

I am taking Source of Life Prenatal vitamin liquid. I LOVE the taste.

Quote:
no bright yellow pee because you are using everything in them...
Okay I have been having that pee lately and never connected it to the prenatal. Why does it do that??

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#12 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
I am taking Source of Life Prenatal vitamin liquid. I LOVE the taste.

Okay I have been having that pee lately and never connected it to the prenatal. Why does it do that??
For water soluble vitamins any extra not absorbed by your body is discarded through your urine. That's why if you look at the label on your prenatal there are some ingredients where there is 1000% daily value. Usually vitamin C and B vitamins.

I take Trader Joe's prenatal vitamin, I'm cool with it

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#13 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 PM

For those of you taking a omega supp or fish oil supp, what kind/brand do you recommend?

I am taking Rainbow Light One a day.
#14 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=andbabymakes4;11293069]For those of you taking a omega supp or fish oil supp, what kind/brand do you recommend? QUOTE]

I recommend Carlson or Nordic Naturals for fish oil. It's really important when taking fish oil that it's from a good company. The label should state it's contaminant free (free of detectable levels of mercury, cadmium, lead, PCB's and 28 other contaminants).

I take New Chapter Prenatal.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#15 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
From what I understand, the unused vitamins are excreted through your urine - B Vitamins in particular. If your pee is yellow either the doses are too large to be absorbed or the vitamin is in a form that is not bio-available.

Mother to L.O. born at home 10.17.08 EDD for #2 4.21.2011
#16 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 10:30 PM

Rainbow Lite 1-a-day horse pills and also uva ursi when I feel a UTI coming on.

I occasionally pee hilighter yellow.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#17 of 49 Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 PM

I take a chewable prenatal, I think it's called Nutrinate.
Floradix cal/mag
Probiotic
Omega 3

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#18 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 12:20 AM

I have a bottle from my pharmacy that was prescribed - no brand name - just says "Prenatal Vitamins"
#19 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 01:39 AM

I know its bad, but I just stopped taking them after the three month mark. They just made me feel so horrid and I eat a really well balanced diet...I used Trader Joe's brand for the first few months though.
#20 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 07:04 AM

Rainbow Light one-a-day

''''

#21 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 AM

I also have always taken Rainbow Light vit.s when I'm pregnant and/or nursing.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#22 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 10:34 AM

I take SuperNutrition Prenatal blend, 6 tablets a day. They are up on the newest scientific studies, and base thier formulas, including this one on that. These are the highest potency broadest spectrum prenatal you can find. According to the testemonials on the website, the babies born to moms who take their prenatals, are strong and healthy babies!

http://supernutritionusa.com/product...tal_blend.html

http://supernutritionusa.com/spn_babies.php

YOu can get this cheapest at Luckyvitamin.com

I also take NOW brand Ultra OMega 3
3 capsules daily, no burps and they smell good, I like to smell the bottle

I take Natural Calm Magnesium powder- about 400+ mg a day, it lowers my blood pressure, relaxes my uterus, and helps me to sleep.

For probiotic, I frequently drink kefir I ferment at home sometimes in a smoothie

I take Amazing Grass wheat grass powder. Right now I am taking 3/8 tsp daily, but I am upping it each week until I get to 1 Tablespoon, the serving size. This helps your vitamin K, supposed to help with energy and create a healthy placenta.
#23 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! Can anyone give me an idea of what your prenatals cost per month? Especially the Trader Joe's or Rainbow Lights (which seem to be most frequently recommended)

Thanks!

Proud wife to my man and mommy to my pumpkin . We are dedicated to loving life and getting out of debt in 2010. - ask about our journey
#24 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 12:41 PM

My rainbow light once a day ones cost about $26 for 90 pills. I was just at the vitamin shoppe today looking at the prenatal system for the same company, and those ones are 6 pills a day and cost about $25 a month! I am sticking with the once a day, I just cannot afford $25 a month!
#25 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
For water soluble vitamins any extra not absorbed by your body is discarded through your urine. That's why if you look at the label on your prenatal there are some ingredients where there is 1000% daily value. Usually vitamin C and B vitamins.
It's a whole food supplement so it's green, and it's got spinach and about 15 other fruits and veggies mixed in.

Here's the vitamin/mineral amounts: (just wondering if it's too much)

Vit A- 2500 IU
Vit C- 150 mg
Vit D- 100 IU
Vit E- 100 IU
B-1- 10 mg
B-2- 10 mg
Niacin- 40 mg
Vit B-6- 5 mg
Folate 800 mcg
Vit B-12- 40 mcg
Biotin- 800 mcg
Panothenic Acid- 25 mcg
Calcium- 50 mg
Iron 4 mg
Phosphorus- 10 mg
Iodine- 150 mcg (I don't eat iodized salt or shrimp etc so I probably need this)
Magnesium- 200 mg
Zinc- 15 mg
Manganese- 6 mg
Potassium- 10 mg
Inositol- 5 mg
Choline- 2.1 mg

I was thinking of taking Mama Calm magnesium supplement along with this (for heart palps) which has a bit of folate in it as well. I also wanted to take about 500mg more of Vit. C

PP- mine costs $16.99 for a months worth. I have to admit though...this is by far the BEST feeling pregnancy I had. I swear it's the vitamins. I am not tired any more, I feel pretty much normal except for the cramping. My other pregnancies were not like this. I started taking these vitamins at 7dpo because I just "knew" I was pregnant. I am shocked at the amount of energy I have.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#26 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 01:48 PM

Another in the Rainbow Light one a day camp! I like that they're food-based and do not have any ferrous sulfate.

Mine were $19 for 90 pills. I got them from amazon, spent another $6 on a book and got free shipping too. They paid me to take the book basically, cause shipping would have been $8 otherwise.
#27 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
I take the perscription Materna because most others were making me sick in my first pregnancy, and i've just stuck with it ever since. I have a "thing" for the odd vanilly scent of them. They do make my pee bright green.

I also take fish oil because I need it for mood, and I'm trying to figure out if I should keep taking my calcium magnesium supplement or not? Anyone know? I keep forgetting to ask the MW so I haven't bought more yet.

I have some called Ethex by prescription that also smell like vanilla! I've always hated vitamins that didn't taste good and were not chew-able, but these vanilla ones are great. They smell great and don't leave that horrible herbal after taste!
#28 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 02:12 PM

Mine are around 25.00 + per month, and that is cheap for 6 tablets a day prenatals. I hope it will be worth it, I am looking forward to see if I have swelling or not, with all the wheat grass and vitamins I am taking.
#29 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 02:22 PM

I'm taking the rainbow light 6/day and nordic naturals ultimate omega fish oil capsules.

I think the rainbow lights are about $60 for 3 months worth and I'm drawing a blank on the fish oil - I bought a bunch at once and can't remember what I paid.

HTH

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#30 of 49 Old 05-23-2008, 02:23 PM

I think my Trader Joe's ones are around $12.99 for 60 tablets.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page