Very Uncomfortable Feeling Under Right Rib Cage - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 27 weeks pg. Since yesterday, I have had a very uncomfortable/slightly painful pressure under my right rib cage, like my kid has possibly wedged a foot or an arm under there.

It is very uncomfortabe to sit in a chair or in my car due to this. The only time when it feels better is when I stand up. Can my baby really be shoving something under there? This sounds really silly, but I'm worried the little hand or foot may be hurting or even become deformed unless she moves it.

I've tried to gently rub the spot to get her to move, but to no avail. Am I freaking out for no reason, or should I call my doctor?

Thanks.
#2 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 11:15 AM

I had the same thing constantly when pg with dd. It is sooo uncomfortable. I couldn't always feel what it was that was causing it but I know it was either a baby part or it could also be the pressure from your abdominal organs against your ribs. It's definitely normal, definitely painful!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#3 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 11:16 AM

I'm 30 weeks and started having this feeling too. For me, I think its my baby's butt since she has recently turned head down. Your baby is well cushioned by amniotic fluid so I wouldn't worry about him/her getting a limb stuck or deformed.
#4 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM

Yep, my baby likes to stick her foot under there all the time! lol. Sometimes if I poke her foot she will move it.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#5 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 11:18 AM

That's where I think your liver is located, there could be pressure on your liver, nothing to worry about, try sleeping on the left side.
#6 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 AM

Oh yeah I get that all the time.
I think it feels like a foot!
#7 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I forgot there are other organs in there that need extra room! That's probably what it is. Her movement and kicking are normally lower than where this discomfort is located.

Thanks!!!
#8 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
Oh I forgot there are other organs in there that need extra room! That's probably what it is. Her movement and kicking are normally lower than where this discomfort is located.

Thanks!!!
Hee! Isn't it crazy to imagine all of those different internal parts being quished around and making room for the baby?!

But yes, had to chime in. Sitting, unless I am leaning back and able to stretch my ribcage and stomach out completely sucks. If I sit normally or slouch forward at all (like now, typing this from the couch on my laptop, heh) it is pretty uncomfortable. Right now is actually ok, last night? Ugh, it was not only painful, but it also nearly made me sick to sit like that, cause I think my stomach was also getting too much pressure. I had to sleep on the couch in a more sitting position cause I was afraid of puking! (I actually had the night before, woke up due to the kicking and pressure against my stomach and ribs and threw up all over my sheet. UGH.)
#9 of 16 Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 PM

I thought for sure I was having rib pain, which can also be called costocondritis, but it turned out I have a big gallstone. The gall bladder is located in the area you describe. Especially when pain is unilateral, it's worth getting checked out. Apparently, gallstones are very common in pregnancy, because of the slower digestion.

Good luck - I hope the pain goes away.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#10 of 16 Old 05-24-2008, 02:29 AM

I'm glad someone else mentioned this because I am going through something very similar. For most of my pregnancy so far (21 weeks 3 days) I have had that pain in the ribs. I had thought I had dislocated a rib or something. The first thing my OB did was do a pressure point test to see if it was my gallbladder. He told me to take tylenol for the pain and come back for more testing if it continued and/or got worse.

For the past week, though, I haven't had it as much in the ribs as right below the sternum. It's more of a burning sensation now, too, unless I try to shift positions or get up too fast when it feels like something similar to a gas bubble pops. I also just found out that my son has flipped so that he is head down now. I think he's trying to stretch out but is discovering too quickly that his daddy picked a short mommy.

Married to DH since February 2005, mother of selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifDS (8/18/2008) and DD in (4/2/2011)!  lactivist.gif familybed2.gif  Expecting stork-suprise.gif February 2013!

#11 of 16 Old 05-24-2008, 02:58 AM

I had something like that during my last pregnancy and it turned out to be gall stones.
#12 of 16 Old 05-24-2008, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
How is your blood pressure? Is it high? Are you having any swelling or headaches?
#13 of 16 Old 05-24-2008, 09:31 PM

It might be the baby's position, but the gallbladder is in the upper right quadrant... if it's still bothersome for you, do bring it up the next time you see your practitioner!

I see a nurse weekly, and pain in that area is something she asks about on her checklist. Who knows what they can actually do about it, but fingers x'd you get more comfortable soon!
#14 of 16 Old 05-24-2008, 10:15 PM

I had that pain with DD. It was pretty constant but sometimes it would be so sharp and sudden I'd cry out in pain and tears would come to my eyes. We think it was just a foot that liked that spot. But my midwife checked me for gall bladder issues just to be safe. Gall bladder issues are common during pg, and sometime gall bladders are even removed during pg. If you're curious, do a search about which foods affect gall bladders, (I'd tell you but I forget which ones) if you are experiencing the pain in relation to when you eat those foods, then it might be an indication.

The other thing it might be is heartburn. This pg I am having a strong buring sensation in my lower rib cage, but none of the sharp jabbing pains I had last pg. My doc says it is heartburn.

Regardless, with DD I never did determine the definite source of the pain. But for a good solid year after her birth (or more) I could still feel numbness in that area.
#15 of 16 Old 05-25-2008, 12:27 AM

Not trying to be the paranoid one here, but are you sure it's baby?

I had this same sensation and it turned out to be walking pnemonia. Fluids had filled up by entire right lung which is why the bottom of my rib was so uncomfortable...

Just a thought. But if you're sure it's baby (feeling movement in that spot, etc.) then I wouldn't worry I highly doubt it would "deform" the hand or foot. Relax!

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#16 of 16 Old 05-25-2008, 12:30 AM

I had that exact same thing with my second pregnancy, it was horrible. The only relief I could get was to bend backwards.

My OB thought it was my gallbladder/gallstones as well. I had an u/s done after the baby was born and there were no stones. Never did find out what it was but thankfully it dissapeared after I had the baby. It hasn't come back this time either.

hope it gets better for you..I remember how much it can hurt.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page