New to the boards and befuddled! (long) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I found this board while searching Google for information on large fundal height readings. After lurking a bit and reading all the education and supportive responses I decided it was high time to ask a person (at a computer) and not a computer what all this can mean. I am currently 20w6d. My last appointment was just 2 days ago, and my fundal height has soared. A student came in and asked if she could talk to me and examine me before my doctor came and I agreed. She was really nice and had a lot of questions for me, and then she went to take my fundal and listen for the heartbeat. My fundal was showing 28cm!
(I go to the OB every 2 weeks b.c of chronic HBP and seizures which were both brought on by my first pregnancy. They're keeping an eye on things and doing an ultrasound once a month because they were afraid my baby girl would be growing at a slower rate due to the prior medical conditions.)
She was looking for my uterus, and for the last month or more, it's been above my belly button, which is pretty high. Well it went actually they couldn't get baby's heartbeat on anything but U/S until close to 16 weeks, and she hadn't 'popped' up out of my pelvic bone. And when she did, that's also when my uterus seemed to 'pop' up over my belly button. She was a little baffled by that, but went on to find the heartbeat, which was also found about even if not a little above my button!
Then she left to get my doctor so she could measure me again and make sure it wasn't just a mistake from in-experience, and sure enough, my Dr. got the same measurement.. 28 centimeters! At my 18 week visit it was 22 centimeters, but at that time I was told that they don't really like to count on the measurements until 20 weeks, but she wanted something to refer back to.
So that means I went from 4cm early to 8cm early over the course of two weeks. So far all my U/S have been normal and they only moved my due date by a few days, not weeks.
Normally I'd have an U/S scheduled for this week, but they're sending me to a larger hospital in Dallas for a higher level U/S that was supposed to be to just check on how the organs were developing and count fingers and toes, but now I guess it's coming at the right time to check on all this mess too!
I've read that a large fundal height can mean a large healthy baby, a large baby due to gd (which I have no signs of), too much amniotic fluid, multiples (no signs of on any previous u/s), ect ect ect.
I'm leaning towards large baby. She's moving around constantly, and I feel her from my ribs to my lower abdomen. Hubby can feel her too, and anyone can see the movement from the outside. I really need to get some video of that one.. it's just crazy! I felt DS around 20 weeks, but no one else could feel or see his movements until 25-26 weeks.
Any input or ideas? LoL! Thanx for reading this far.. I know I go on and on, but we all worry tons about these precious gifts!
#2 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 03:38 PM

I have been measuring ahead most of this pregnancy and I have excess amniotic fluid. I am a LOT more uncomfortable this pregnancy than with my first.

It could just be a big baby but that does sound like a lot of movement.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 04:05 PM

My entire pregnancy I have measured about a month larger than gestation. Through ultrasound there is only 1 baby, and the baby is the right size for gestation.
Measuring fundal hights isn't an exact science, and many things can cause it to change from appointment to appointment. For example, if your bladder is fuller one time than another you can get a different measuremnt because the bladder is causing the uterus to raise. Also the way you are laying one time vs another, also the pasition the baby is in can minutly affect it from being streatched up vs. being streatched side to side. Hope that makes sense.

If they are looking at ultrasound frequently then I assume that they know if the baby is large, or small. and would mention size of baby in corolation to size of uterus.

Also for me personaly, I have been feeling baby in my ribs since about 20wks. And could see him moving my tummy. I know it is hard not to over analize everything. try to sit back and enjoy your pregnancy!

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#4 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

LoL thanx guys! I was really starting to wonder if I was going to end up with a 20lb baby! LoL! I'm still somewhat afraid of placenta previa. I knew nothing about it until a month ago, but for some reason it's stuck to me and it's 'like I know' I have it. But they already said I didn't have the option.. I was having a c-section, so I guess it wouldn't really be a bad thing if I did have it.
#5 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
But they already said I didn't have the option.. I was having a c-section, so I guess it wouldn't really be a bad thing if I did have it.
what do you mean? why don't you have an option?!
#6 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
what do you mean? why don't you have an option?!
:

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#7 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Evidently I didn't dialate before because for some reason my body won't.. so they told me no natural birth, and that it could end up killing me and the baby if I refused the surgery and tried on my own b.c of the blood pressure and seizures.
#8 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 PM

"For some reason" isn't a reason. If you've got some specific issue with your cervix (like not having one or something) that means you are physically unable to dilate, they need to explain that to you properly. Otherwise, how on earth would they have any idea how your body would act this time?

Now, if you do actually know the reason and prefer to keep it private, that's totally understandable and perfectly fine.

Have to wonder though, by "not dilate" did they happen to think this because you got to some arbitrary number like 42 weeks gestation and then an induction failed?
#9 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 11:08 PM

I also measured 27 weeks when i was 20 weeks...we thought it might be twins...u/s shows one baby....possibly a 9-11 lb one....so we will see. I do hope that you research more about having that c/s...we are here to help you figure that out. You will find so much valuable information here...glad you found mothering.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#10 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 11:33 PM

I have to agree with SC - and I know its off topic & totally you're business... if you're happy with a cecarean then by all means

BUT - if you're wanting a vag birth, try asking more questions about why they think you wont dialate? Did you go into labor naturally last time? How long did you labor? Did you dialate at all, or just a little before the C? How do they suspect the BP & Seizures might be impacted by labor?

FWIW - a lot (LOOOOOOT) of women with high bp go on to have happy / healthy labors and keep their BP down to safe levels in labor with positioning, water, a calm environment, and other factors that I'd be happy to share if you're interested.
#11 of 11 Old 05-23-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbloom View Post
I have to agree with SC - and I know its off topic & totally you're business... if you're happy with a cecarean then by all means
: Not trying to dictate your choice, just letting you know you might have a choice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page