3rd baby positive stories - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting down reading about 3rd pregnancies and babies being really different from the first two (ie more difficult).

I'd like to read some positive stories. Something to encourage me!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#2 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 08:45 AM

That just plain old blows, doesn't it!?!? Why oh why do we have to hear that stuff!?!?

Here's a thread I started over in Birth & Beyond where many mentioned positive 3rd baby stories:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=896371

My 3rd birth was wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. It was intense, but what natural labor isn't? Here's my birth story:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...sephine+Cicely

The thing is, Megan, I don't know if you'll have a short labor or a long labor or a back labor or any kind of specifics at all. But, you've birthed two other children & you made it through AND they were worth every moment you spent in labor. This babe will be just the same -- worth it!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#3 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 AM

My third pregnancy and birth were, by far, the easiest. I can't write more now since I'm tending to the LO, but there are positive stories out there.
#4 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks both of you!

It feels somewhat like what you get from most mainstream parents trying to outdo each other with labor stories. It isn't positive and does not instill confidence. It seems awful to frighten a pregnant woman unnecessarily.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#5 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 01:05 PM

I've been wondering too! Hopefully I get to experience labor with my third. He has until Wednesday to come on his own or I'm having another c-section. Thankfully I did get to labor with my first, he was a vaginal birth, and I'm hoping that this one is too.

Nice to know there are positive stories out there, I've heard a lot of the negative ones too.

it is pretty daunting at times isn't it?

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#6 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 01:36 PM

My third baby was (and still is) my easiest baby. He's now 9 but the pregnancy and birth were fairly easy (afterall it was pregnancy and birth), he nursed like a champ, slept like a champ, loved to watch the world and still has a love of the world and is soooo his own person to this day. I can't imagine my world without him.
#7 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 01:57 PM

my third pregnancy was by far the easiest, as was the birth - the quickest of the three, no pain at all birthing the placenta, and i felt fantastic pretty much immediately afterwards.

and this baby is my dream baby. seriously. she is so mellow, sleeps so well i (almost) feel guilty about how much sleep i'm getting. when awake she's quiet and alert and happy to be put down, nurses like a champ. and did i mention how she sleeps?

this has by far been my easiest transition into motherhood. i was really worried my whole pregnancy about how i would possibly manage, and so far it's been really no big deal at all. yay!
#8 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 02:00 PM

I would be thrilled if my fourth baby is as wonderful as my third is. My pregnancy with my third was my easiest, SPD was better due to a chiropractor who helped me. Hyeremesis was a little easier. Delivery was wonderful, a relatively quick waterbirth, even with my third nuchal hand baby. I really hope my fourth is as great as my third!

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#9 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 02:08 PM

:
#10 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 02:14 PM

Third pregnancy was pretty uneventful. We thought I was going to have twins but it ended up that I was having a big girl (9lbs 14oz). I had a lot of prodromal labor with her but I think that was just because she was big. Actual labor was a piece of cake. I think my entire labor was an hour and 15 minutes long. All of my pregnancies have been slightly different because of different cravings, different energy levels, etc. To say that the third is going to be more difficult is nuts because there are so many other factors involved. Some parts were harder but most parts were easier because I had already been there done that.
#11 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 02:20 PM

I'm also crossing my fingers that my third will be as easy (as far as children go, I'm not even thinking l&d) as my other 2.

I can say, though, that my SIL has 3 children. The girls were born 10/01 and 9/05 and my nephew is turning 1 on June 7. As far as temperments, the girls are HORRIBLE. They are little demons. They were always incredibly difficult children. But my nephew is completely different. He's really good natured. He sleeps really well, doesn't freak out at other people, and isn't a hugely picky eater. Whereas they had problems with both of the others' speech, his is advanced. He's just night and day from the girls.

I'm hoping I don't end up with night and day from my other 2.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#12 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzy_mom View Post
My third pregnancy and birth were, by far, the easiest.
Yes, and I'll add to that- my third was the very easiest transition into our family. The easiest baby ever born and everything was just too perfect.
#13 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 02:42 PM

my third was awesome.. it prolly had a lot to do with the fact that it was my first unassisted pregnancy/birth though

I did gain weight faster (but I had such a cute bump!) and I think my heartburn started sooner.. oh, and I had ridiculous prodominal labor. my water even leaked twice with my third

but it all worked out.

I LOVED my third, all in all. I had the confidence of a been-there-done-that mama and I had the balls to assert myself as needed (I used to be a lot more, errr, shy).

If I could do it over again, however, I would really treasure being pregnant, I would do more birth art and I would keep a journal.

my third was/is great though.. she is 3 months old, sleeps well, laughs often, is very 'agreeable', loves attention and is, basically, a beautiful babe (all babies are beautiful but some are a lot more work, like my second)..

mischievous.gif
#14 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 02:43 PM

oh, good thread. i am going to be watching this one.
#15 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 03:24 PM

My 3rd was by far my easiest baby--perfect sleeper, never cried, was adored by his big sisters. I wish I'd had two of him!

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#16 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 03:54 PM

That's bunk. Every pregnancy, every birth, every child is different. We can all compare notes and even find similarities but there are not any givens when it comes to these things.

Having said that, I have 3 kids - all vastly different. You have no idea how different My third is my only "typical" child and it is so nice. She's the kind of kid you can read about in books - you know, parenting books that tell you how to deal with care, discipline, etc. I thought those books were useless and then I finally had the type of kid they were writing about! She has her issues of course but, mainly, she's a happy go lucky, totally manageable kid. I'm so glad we have her! I would have never understood what most kids are like if it wasn't for her, lol.

As for birthing and pregnancy - the best ever. GREAT pregnancy and AWESOME birth. The most peaceful, calm birth I've ever had - hoping to repeat it in a few weeks. But I'm in the camp it's how well you take car of yourself and prepare, yk? That makes the biggest difference imo.
#17 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 04:03 PM

My third pregnancy went basically just like the first two...they were all easy.
My third labor was slightly longer and a little more challenging for me to cope with the contractions compared to my second. It was way easier than the first labor. I still had a natural birth and everything with baby and me went well and was healthy. My third weighed a lot more than my first two kids and yet I didn't even tear while pushing him out.

The recovery/postpartum period has been wonderful. I feel great...better than I did after giving birth with my first two.

Now my 3rd baby is just 1.5 weeks old but so far he has been the best sleeper, easy going, eating very well- latching perfectly like we've been nursing forever. The older kids have been wonderful as well...adoring the baby and helping out in many ways. My other kids needed a lot more even at this young age. There all just different.

It's not been my experience at all that the 3rd pregnancy/labor/child is more challenging.
#18 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 PM

I just wanted to say it is SO GOOD to read these stories!! i'm pregnant with my 3rd and have been so worried
#19 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 07:31 PM

I'm at 21 weeks now in my third pregnancy and it is BY.A.MILE. my easiest pregnancy so far. With my other two I was constantly nauseous/being sick for the first trimester, had gestational carpal tunnel syndrome, sciatica starting early in the second trimester last time etc. This time NOTHING other than a couple mild bouts of self inflicted heartburn (damn that Indian food!!!).
#20 of 28 Old 05-26-2008, 07:35 PM

Interesting, I've only heard that about 4th labor/births (which makes ME a little nervous ).

DS2 was just as quick and (relatively) easy a labor and birth as DS1 was. about 3 hours of labor with only 10 minutes of pushing (DS1 had been 20).
#21 of 28 Old 05-27-2008, 03:53 AM

No advice/stories from me as I only have one
But I just wanted to say I looked in your siggy Megan and you make beautiful babies!

Good Luck
#22 of 28 Old 05-27-2008, 04:03 AM

All 3 of my pregnancies were difficult; number 3 was only harder because I was older! 3rd birth was far and away the best, a beautiful water birth in my backyard.

He was an extremely difficult baby, but of course that's not because he was the third. My dad did say, though, that he was destined to be a LAST baby, whether he was 1st or 16th!

computergeek2.gif

#23 of 28 Old 05-27-2008, 08:19 AM

My only problems with my third had nothing to do with the pregnancy or labor. We went over 42 weeks so there was a lot of stress and pressure from outside forces.

The pregnancy was just fine though, and labor was a cool 4 hours. The first one that really and truly *hurt* but it was over quick and we were both fine.
#24 of 28 Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Rie

So nice to read the positives. I've begun having a bit of anxiety about adding the 3rd. Excited, but scared. Reading these posts is comforting and encouraging!
#25 of 28 Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 PM

I was also pleasantly surprised - short labor (totally wierd for me), and the easiest baby by a LONG shot. Hoping for a repeat!
#26 of 28 Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm only on my first baby but am the third out of three siblings. My mom had pretty easy pregnancies with all three of us. I'm pretty sure the labor with me was her shortest at 5 or 6 hours. She ended up delivering me in the hallway because the nurse didn't believe her that the baby was coming!

As far as temperament, I was middle of the road baby. My oldest brother was the fussy one. The middle brother was the easiest-going baby - although later became the toughest to parent.

So I have a pretty good opinion of third children.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#27 of 28 Old 05-27-2008, 07:46 PM

well my third pregnancy was as close to perfect as you can get. Some financial stress was the worst of it. But life was good and I was super, super healthy. Perfect prenatal every time. Felt GREAT. Went into labor right on my due date.

I had a lovely labor and a magical water birth. I learned a lot about myself as a woman and it was such a pleasant experience. I hope this fourth baby will be as nice.

You can read my birth story for my third

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#28 of 28 Old 05-29-2008, 02:03 PM

My 3rd pg was a surprise. Toward the 2nd tri My dh and I began to accept it and even get excited. We had no health insurance and no money and no credit card room. I found a wonderful homebirth midwife who charged us less and said we could pay it off as slowly as we needed to. I dug out my old imagery birthing and hypnobabies cds and listened nightly. My water broke first again, the day before my due date. I went out to lunch alone with my dh with a depends on! My 3 older ones were at the beach with a good friend. I was leaning toward a uc but when my midwife called in the early evening because she just had a feeling she should call me I thought "hey, I'll tell her what is going on so far" The kids returned and my 15 yrold dsd took care of them. My dh filled the pool and I labored alone and with him. Labor didn't even hurt but a lot of clearing the bowels on the toilet. I got in and out of the birth tub and the midwife and her asst. came in. I told dh "tell them to wait in the living room until I want them" I wasn't even vocalizing yet so I think they thought it was a false alarm. My kids woke up and I told my dsd to put a dvd on. She put on the uc birth of twins and I called her in and said "put in a kid show because they are going to see a real birth in a few minutes!" I was so calm nobody knew what was coming. My dh overheard the midwives in the other room saying that they got there way too early. He came back and I started yelling and moaning and groaning because I was pushing and I am so scared of pushing and the ring of fire! I just freak out. The midwives rushed in and I said" I hate this part" and the next push her head was out, the next one her whole body slid out. It was about 15 -20 minutes after they showed up and 10 min after kids woke up. There was a lot of blood in the tub afterward. I got out with the baby and delivered the placenta on the bed. I am glad the midwife was there for after because I prolly would have thought "thats way too much blood!" Anyway this 3rd birth was very similar to my 2nd birth except easier and less painful and the baby was 2oz more. I was 35 and worried about being old but It was easier than when I was 29 (how old I was w/my 1st) I heard that the 3rd birth was the wild card too and 5mos before my friend had her 3rd baby(uc) and had a long, painful labor and birth after a long, painful pg but my pg was uneventful and actually empowering. I even want more kids now! Don't tell my dh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page