Equinox Mamas (Sept/Oct) -- October 5 thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm here! With a baby!!! Isabel was born Oct 8 (yesterday morning) and is 7lbs, 8oz. She is beautiful and healthy and I am in love. I can't believe she's finally here!
AFter being at 4cm for a week, I started having those irregular contractions on monday night. Tuesday they started getting to around 10min apart and were stronger, but very managable. That night I thought my water broke, and I went to check it out (my mw wanted me to b/c of GBS) but it wasn't amniotic fluid. I went home after passing up the option for them to break my water. On Wed morning I woke up at 6am and had more contractions like the day before, but they were stronger--still ok though. About 8-10 min apart. Then, I had a gush of fluid (I had been leaking the mystery fluid stiil) but this was soaking a pad and my underwear during every contraction. This was around 7:45am. Suddenly, my contractions were stronger and 5min apart. I started saying things like "i love my family" through contractions, "birthing center, please", and was kind of crying, even though it wasn't out of pain...defiitely going off into laborland! My husband took our son to the neighbor's, and we hurried off to the birthing center. There was only 1 midwife there, and two of us in labor, near pushing, and 1 mother on the way! Two back ups were called, thank goodness, and I got my favorite midwife. When I got there, D, the midwife, asked my favorite position. I told her that I couldn't remember. She smiled and said "that's a good sign!". I got my nightgown out, and she said "are you sure you want to get that dirty? and handed me a hospital type gown. I put it on, then threw it off, got on the bed naked, and layed on my side for a while, groaning through contractions. She checked me and I was already 10 cm! I was relieved, because at this point I was wondering what I had gotten myself into (I kept saying in the car, on the way there, "I bet I've regressed to 2 and my husband would smile and say "I seriously doubt that". I knew I hadn't, but I wanted to be prepared to be at only 6). Anyway, sometime after that, i found that i could only stand to be on all fours, and i refused to move. I roared, moaned, I think i even made deep cow noises (MOOO!!! :LOL) and that helped like nothing else. As I pushed, I reached up to the headboard of the bed and would intuitively stretch back and make loud, deep noises as I pushed. My body and my mind were totally separate at this point and it is still amazing to me how my body completely took over and knew just what to do. My husband was awesome, he seemed so confident in me, told me I was doing great and helped me a lot with my back. At one point, the mw told me things would go faster if I would get in a semi squat for 2 contractions. I decided to try it, got into the position, said "no thank you" and went right back to being on all fours. I continued to let my body push, making the deep sounds and blowing raspberries like Ina May suggested in her book (and I loved it). Sometime toward the end I felt the endorphins and I suddenly felt so calm and pain free as I pushed. It was amazing. I didn't have a clue that I was contracting, but my body had me push anyway. She had me reach down and touch the baby's head, even though I didn't want to at first (i was fine where i was, thankyouverymuch!) because she said it would help me to push and see what was happening. I kept my hand there, it did help. And after that, I felt slowly come out, and I remember feeling her wiggle, but I couldn't figure out how I could feel her moving--was it my legs that felt her? It turns out that I had my hands back there and that I had caught her myself, and brought her between my legs to my chest--again, my body knew what to do, my mind was not there--and I had my baby in my arms. She was out, it was a wonderful feeling. She has been alert since birth, very pink, and just beautiful. As I write this, I cannot believe this is my story. So different than my son's birth, where I didn't even try to go naturally.
She was worth the wait, and so was the experience.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and pregnancies with me, and for letting me share mine with you. This place has educated me so much and has really empowered me to trust my body. And congrats to all the new mamas--I need to go back and read and catch up!
#62 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 11:29 AM

Mamaley..Congrats!!!! Yeah..What a wonderful birth story..I am envious of your so in control manner, for lack of a better word, during your labor. Mine are so fast..the isn't anything I can do but hold on to something and push..I could never catch my baby which I would love to have done..maybe next time, if I get my homebirth..in like 4 years or more...hehe....

See you in life with babe!!!!

ps.. what is her name and stats????
#63 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 11:34 AM

Oh God, no, I did not feel like I was in control!!! But in a good way, if that makes sense. Her name is Isabel (still working on a middle name) and she's 7lbs, 8oz and 20.5 inches long.
#64 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 11:38 AM

:LOL

oh, i'm crying and laughing all at once. what a beautiful story. i am so proud of you! welcome little isabel! (ella was almost an isabel. it was my grandmother's name and i just LOVE it.). cow noises, eh? hee heee hee. what a wonderful story. congratulations to your whole family!
#65 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 11:43 AM

I'm crying too..such a beautiful, beautiful birth story. I've had natural births in the past, but this time I do not want to be afraid! I want to be joyous instead of cautious. Your birth is such great inspiration! Congrats to you and Welcome! to Isabel.
#66 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 12:49 PM

mamaley..I am sorry..you did type her name and stats..I just forgot by the time I got to the bottem..duh..this brain still has to many preg hormones..

I know you didn't feel like you were in control..but still..hehe..you were able touch her head as she crowned and pull her out...i have never even been close to that in the three of my births.
#67 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 02:43 PM

Halah-
I got my first, 'anything happening' call the other day- and its especially annoying becasue I've been answering the "when is baby due?" question with "baby will probably come in early Novemeber" since the start. I am 38 weeks today! Just got to keep the days rolling...and screen all calls.

Congratulations to the new babies born! Snuggle and Enjoy!

As for those who are with me in the last 1- 2- 3 weeks (?) I'm determined to keep myself busy as much as I can so I have someting little to do each week. I can't rest with a toddler so this is the other option! I had family maternity photos taken today and now I can think about getting them back instead of just on having the baby. I have a prenatal tomorrow...at least it keeps me busy. I'm scheduling a massage for early next week...one of the on-call midwife asst. does massage so its a great excuse to work with her! And, I'm thinking of doing a belly masking as a fun activity and to celebrate this pregnancy...but don't have supplies yet. Anyone else doing a belly mask?
#68 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 05:06 PM

WOW Mamaley....what a fabulous story. That is like my dream birth. I hope I can move and deliver as instinctively as you. Many congrats

Today I took ds to a Leche meeting, hadn't been to one since he was like 15 mos. Thought I should meet the newer people and leaders since you never know if you'll need their help later. Then as a treat for being so good at the 2+ hr meeting I took him to the Pier, that haven of tacky souveniers and garbage food, for a treat. It wore me out but I keep thinking we won't have too many more "just us" afternoons and he's been soooo good to me lately. I tried to get him to lie down with me after we got home and he just gave me all his "special" toys and said, "have a nice nap...I'm gonna go do the dishes!" :LOL I really could have, too...
#69 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 07:27 PM

Oh Mamaley how wonderful! Welcome Isabel! Your birth story is great! How wonderful!
#70 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 07:34 PM

Congrats Mamaley and family!!!
Welcome little Isabel!!!!!
I'm so glad to hear everything went well and your precious daughter finally arrived!!!
#71 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 08:25 PM

Congrats Mamaley

38 weeks today here Still having bloody show on a regular basis, no more contractions. I am still thinking it will be in the next week or so (isn't that such a positive way to think, I might only have another 2-3 weeks of thinking in the next week or so) In any case since both Colin and Cass were born by 39 it feels like it should be soon to be, labor stuff started with both of them mid week. Just got to keep my positive attidtude even when next week I'm posting that I am as pregnant as I have ever been.
#72 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 08:43 PM

Equinox Mamas (Sept/Oct) -- October 5 thread (Updtaed 10-9)

1. Aquarianangela #1 edd Sep 5 born at hospital July 13 at 32 weeks abigail elizabeth 3lb 15oz
2. Anmarie -#2 4-Sep Home/h2o Alannah was born at 7:02 (9/3) at home in the pool-8lbs 13oz just over 20inches!!!
3. Sagira #1 21-Sep Birth Center - Brandon William Zachary born 9/2/03; 7:18 pm, @ 38 wks. 6lbs 15oz, 20 1/2 inches (17 hours total)
4. petitemama (laurie) #5 3-Sep homebirth w/ midwife -- Angelina Palmeida born 9/5/03, 7:55 am, 7lbs 15 oz, 21 1/2 inches... 2 hrs 45 mins total start to finish!
5. mama2girls - 7-sept, Sage Elizabeth born 9/5/03, 6 lbs 3 oz at 39w 5ds, 8 hours of labor total.
6. Emma - Sept-5 Aislinn Laura Friday night at 9:00 pm
7. akirasmama (laurie) #2 8-Sep baby boy!!!!
http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sh...&threadid=85790
8. Carolyn #3 10-Sep Home - - Baby Boy born 9/8; 4:08pm; 8lbs 7oz; 21 inches; 11 hrs from start to finish... 2 1/2 hrs since water broke.
9. Mommy Stormraven -- Morrigan Brigid 9/9/03!!
10. Lactationmom 3-Sep home w/midwife - 9/10/03; 12:37am; Elijah Malcolm Davis (Eli) - Weight-10 pounds, 2 ounces! Length-21 1/2; at home, in tub... with no tear!! (aprox 5 hrs 40 mins total).
http://www.babyknowsbreast.com/babyeli.html
11. cobluegirl (rachael) #3 9-Sep hospital Baby Girl! 9/12, 1:40am , 9.5 lbs 21in, Josephine Elisabeth (Josie)... no tears ( http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sh...&threadid=86767 )
12. beaner'smom #3- Sept 13, 7:47am homebirth, Tiegan Elsie
13. CTMOMOF2 (Tracey) #2 Sept 15 - Chloe Izabella Cleri 12:32 p.m 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 19 inches with a full head of dark hair (and Tracey did it naturally!!!!)
http://mothering.com/discussions/sh...&threadid=87381
http://www.stamhealth.org/Nursery/B...sp?babyid=40887
14. Eman'smom #2 Sept 15th Riley Parker Oesch 8:03 pm - hospital, in the tub, sunny side up. Her daddy caught her with the midwife and doula watching, she was 7 lbs 15 oz and 20 inches long.
15. Lisa_Lynn (Lisa) #1 Orion is here!! He was born on the 16th (hospital) @ 10:50 am!_ 7 lbs, 2 ounces!
http://www.mattandlisahart.com/baby.asp
http://www.mattandlisahart.com/birthstorymdc.asp
16. apple (Jamie) #1 14-Sep Hospital w/ CNM twenty-three hours of labor - Scout James 1:10 am sept 18 morning
17. dallaschildren Hayden Sept. 18th. 9 pounds 12 ounces and was 21 3/4 " long
http://mothering.com/discussions/sh...&threadid=89565
18. ladylee (lee) September 19 cesarean delivery-girl!
http://min.midco.net/scout_james/scout_james.html
19. cllovato Marisol was born at 4:19 a.m. She weighed 6lbs 13oz and was 21 1/4 inches long
20. Rikki - Patricia Jean 9/24 at 3:23am. She was 4#8oz and 16.5 inches long
http://www.akropolys.com/~troy/pics...rthday%20Photos
21. rootsaloo (Ruth) Ry Loren arrived on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 at 2:09 in the afternoon. He weighed 8 lbs 1 oz.
22. Jennifer (Sabrin) - Katie was born at 5:50am yesterday (September 26). She weighed 5#5oz and was 19.5"
23. mahdokht - 10:30 sept 27th, girl (homebirth!)
24. mamarsupial (autumn) - fiona eileen - 8 lbs, 14.5 oz; 20 1/4 inches. natural @ birth center w/ midwife, doula, and dh.
http://mothering.com/discussions/sh...&threadid=89732
http://community.webshots.com/album/90681782HgVdyS
25. KatSG girl, Clara 9.29 10:11 AM
26. Shane - Harrison 9.29 10:26am homebirth
27. Nik's Mommy - Maksym Walter 9.30 at 5:18am 3450g (~7 lbs 9 oz), 52 cm (~20.5 inches), head - 35cm
28. Hypatia - baby boy Miguel born 10/1/03 at 10:56 am.
29. Seven_lux, Girl, Oct 1
30. Ravin (Jodi) She had a little girl Luthien Mya by C/S at 3:06 AM on 10/04/03.
31. Amywillo (Amy) girl-homebirth at 12:55pm PDT 10/5/03 11lbs 60zs, 24.5" long, 15" head
http://members.aol.com/duein2003/JJW10-6-03.jpg
32. Angela&Avery- girl, Autumn Mae, Oct 8, 12:51AM, 8lbs. 9oz., 21 3/4"
33. Mamaley- girl, Isabel, Oct 8, 7lbs. 8oz., 20.5"
34. Earthmamafor3, Deb, Oct. 9, home water birth after 2 c/sec, girl, Allurah Katherine, Eleanor Tracy Thornton, 10lb. 12.5oz., 22", 14.5" head!!!!
35. Britt- Oct-10, boy, 10lbs. 13oz. Face Presentation!

CONGRATS MOMMA'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status Unknown:
MammaKathryns 19-Sep girl (last post on 9/22-overdue and hurting)
1stTimeMummytoLore (Kate) #1 22-Sep Birth Center w/CNM- about 15 hours of 40 second ctx, 3-5 min apart and now nothing but a lower back ache-- 2 cm & 50%, contrax (last post 9/16--waiting for hurricane)

Matrons in waiting (fewer and fewer of us now!)...

Screen Name - Real Name - Birth No. - EDD - where - what’s going on?
anabean (Ana) 25-Sep hospital w/ cnm 2 doulas being induced 10/9
pmcleod (Pam) 28-30-Sep #1
mamapenelope #4 October Home early/prodromal labor
Aspen 8-Oct
hikaru #2 14-Oct birthing clinic (doc/midwives)
jazzpurr88 #1 14-Oct
weesej (jen) #3 Oct-23 homebirth w/ midwife; losing plug - bloody show, bouts of early/prodromal labor, 3+cms
Mary-Beth #2 24-Oct homebirth
BellaMay 25-Oct
halah (jennifer) #2 25-Oct homebirth
ZMoon #1 25-Oct
Czen #3 26-Oct home w/ midwife & doula
grandmasgirl 27-Oct birth center boy early, prodromal labor
kerikadi (keri) 28-Oct homebirth
Louise #4 late Oct uc
Beth-TX#2 due October 31st
#73 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 09:04 PM

Hey, everybody, we're finally home! I'm not sure what my friend posted about us, but here's the ultrabrief version, full birth story to follow later (when I'm not so exhausted):

Went in last Friday (the 3rd) for NST, sent to hospital for BPP. My amniotic fluid levels were even higher and the baby wasn't responding the way they wanted on the NSTs, so my OB strongly encouraged me to induce that day instead of waiting until Tuesday in hopes that I'd go on my own over the weekend.

Well, I labored with pitocin and no pain meds from 1:30 in the afternoon to 1:30 AM, at which point they did an epidural as her heart rate wasn't looking good (was dipping after contrax), both as a last ditch effort to get things calmed down enough that she'd perk up and because if she didn't the doc wanted to do a C-section.

Wound up with C-section, as you all know from the update at the top, and Luthien Mya was born at 0306 on Saturday morning. She's got my dimples and ears, her daddy's chin and nose, brown hair, and I'm totally in love.

She spent Monday night in the intermediate care nursery of the NICU under bili lites for jaundice, then Tuesday night in my room with just the bili blanket because she was doing better. But on Wednesday morning her bilirubin levels had shot back up, so she had to spend Wednesday night back in NICU. I'd gone to my full allowed stay and had to be discharged on Wednesday. There were no available nesting rooms in the NICU, so I had to go home Wednesday night without my baby.

Turned around and went back this morning at 6:30 after getting home about 11 PM, spent a good chunk of the middle of the night FINALLY having a bowel movement, showering, and pumping.

Brought Luthien home this afternoon. We're having problems with nursing. Two days of supplemental bottles of EBM following restricted nursing sessions, a night of bottle feedings, and grogginess from the jaundice and probably the pain meds I'm on have got her totally unwilling to put forth the effort nursing requires, and all she's had to eat since her 0930 feeding (which followed an unsuccessful nursing session) is about 30 cc's of EBM I gave her this afternoon when she hadn't eaten for six hours. I want her to get hungry and motivated to nurse, but I also don't want her to get dehydrated.

So she's sleeping in the sling with my breast next to her face, and hopefully when she wakes up she'll root and want to go for it...

In the mean time, I'm only staying awake by sheer force of will, and as soon as I make a quick post to a couple of email lists I'm on I'm going to go get some sleep, too!

Congradulations to the other mamas who have had their babes in the past week, and to those who haven't yet, hang in there, it's almost over. If there's one thing I've learned this week, it's that while planning is important and useful, the important thing is that even if things don't go according to plan, what's really important is the outcome: a healthy, darling baby addition to your family!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#74 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by mamaley
At one point, the mw told me things would go faster if I would get in a semi squat for 2 contractions. I decided to try it, got into the position, said "no thank you" and went right back to being on all fours.
Oh, I hear you on that one! Congratulations on your wonderful birth and your new daughter!!!
#75 of 101 Old 10-09-2003, 11:45 PM

Here is Seven_Lux's post in Life with a Babe.

Quote:
i had my baby on the 1st October. the birth was fantastic and i have no regrets, i felt so great we all went home after 8 hours and i tidied the house a bit...i could not sit still!

i went back into hopital day 2 though, because breastfeeding was so excruciatingly painful for me, and the homecare midwife who came to see us was concerned about it. she could see nothing wrong with her latch at all, so we're still not sure why...she's 8 days old now and it's getting better, but i can REALLY relate to that "first 30 seconds" thing...though i can at least contain my cursing and muscle convulsions mostly now so it is getting better!! ...and at first thats just how the whole experience was for me at first.
i pumped for a day or two and fed her with a dropper before trying feeding again, it was much better than before. it took 5 days for my milk to come in. i wish i was leaking everywhere, i'd love to pump a bit extra, but i'm not yet. maybe i won't?

we just had our first breastfeed at the keyboard during this post
#76 of 101 Old 10-10-2003, 10:49 AM

Congratulations Raven and Mamaley!!!

Mamaley, as we were very similar towards the end, im not surprised that our baby girls have the same birhday!!!!

Autumn Mae was born on October 8th at 12:51 am...... we got home last night.....

She was 8lb, 9oz 21 3/4 in long.......

I went into labor on Tuesday, cramping and some contractions throughout the day... at around 4pm i felt sick.... i had a fever of 100.3 by around 6 or 7 and called my midwife who told me to take some tylenol drink lots and get some rest.....

By 7:30 my contractions were around 3-5 minutes apart but only 30 seconds long....... and very bearable...

At 9:30 i hopped into the shower to bide some time as they were still close together and getting longer.... got out after a while and called my midwife and headed to the hospital at 10pm....

AT this point i was only 3-4 when i got there and a little disappointed...... at 11:30 i was 6-7 cent......

My water broke on the toilet just after 12pm and i had her at 12:51!!!

It was hard and insane and i was a crazy woman, it was so fast and intense and scary ... and then it was over......

thank goodness!!!!! It hurt so much more to push her out than my ds because it was so fast and i didnt have a chance to get numb down there.... but i feel so good now compared.. its strange.....
#77 of 101 Old 10-10-2003, 03:50 PM

So many of us all at once!

I delivered our little guy almost twelve hours ago, and we're home from the birth center and ready to snuggle down!

He was 10 lbs. 13 oz. (and that's *after* he shed a lot of meconium!) and was born face first.

The face first thing was a shocker right at the end, and explained the really strange labor I had, really slow and protracted but intense. I moaned and groaned and made it through, but with his chin caught on the rim of my cervix, and then some mild shoulder dystochia (sp?), I am feeling pretty exhausted. Still, not a stitch and a beautiful baby who loves, loves, loves to nurse, and only three and a half hours from entry at the birth center to the actual birth -- a record for me!

Off to sleep!
#78 of 101 Old 10-10-2003, 04:17 PM

when oh when will my baby want to come out!?!??!?!

i've been doing accupuncture and drinking the most disgusting chinese herbs that make me want to :Puke

had some mild contractions last night, but today things have calmed down again. i'm feeling so frustrated and kinda defeated. going is for another NST in about an hour and i KNOW they'll start the induction talk. what else can i do?? i'm going nuts.

apologies for the vent.
and now to more pleasant things:

CONGRATS NEW MAMAS!!!!

i'm very very happy for you!
#79 of 101 Old 10-10-2003, 05:55 PM

Ana I know mama...I would be going insane too. Thinking of you...

Angela, that's awesome that our daughters share the same bday!!! Doesn't suprise me either, and it sounds like our labors were very similar. I felt like a mad woman at the end too, it was really fast. Congrats to you!

And thanks for all the congrats! Isabel is doing well, I love her so much. We're having trouble latching on though, and she has lots of dirty diapers, so she's getting fed, but it's still really frustrating.

We STILL haven't picked a middle name officially, but I think we've decided on one and I want you all to tell me what you honestly think of it--Isabel Athena. Please be honest!
#80 of 101 Old 10-10-2003, 06:14 PM

Mamley- I like Athena for the middle name

Ana- keep staying patient, the baby will come out. Today is the full moon, hoping for you

Congrats Britt- very cool with the face presentation, those are uncommon. Glad you are home so soon..rest rest rest!

My DH so very nicely shared a cold/flu bug with me. I have been feeling worse and worse all afternoon. Feverish, nauseated, coughing Of course he has been on the couch for the past 3 days and now he has to go to work,....so do you think I get to lie on the couch. I am also contracting frequently but mildly, every 3-5 minutes back hurts with them. I really want to have a baby but I REALLY do NOT want to have a baby and the flu at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#81 of 101 Old 10-10-2003, 10:55 PM

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to check in with you all and see how you're all doing (Autumn, you and I labored together!) and let you all know that Clara was born Monday, Sept. 29th at 10:11 AM. She is beautiful and perfect and a fabulous nursling (I'm working on being the good nursee). I know I was the late-comer to the Equinox Mamas thread but I want to thank you all for the laughs (and the crank sessions) the last few weeks of my pregnancy. This board filled lots of my time as I waited at home by myself for my first baby. I now see that time as the perfect balance between solitude and community.

I've included my birth story if you're interested. We'd changed our plans in the 8th month of my pregnancy to a waterbirth at a birthcenter, but had to go to the hospital anyway because of meconium in my water. It was still a fabulous experience and I wouldn't have changed anything, except that my babe needed a lot of suction in the beginning, which was hard. The hospital staff was amazing and I would go there again in a heartbeat. So, here's the story (it's very, very long!):

My water broke Sunday (9/28) night at 10:30 PM and was heavily stained with meconium. On the advice of the midwife I had just started seeing the previous month, we went to the hospital because she felt we needed continuous monitoring. That, and the birth center was full! I was a little disappointed but only for a minute. I wasn't scared at all, but the midwife and her three partners seemed pretty overwhelmed already, so I knew that the hospital would be a better place for us.

When we first started discussing options my contractions were 10 minutes apart and totally manageable. After asking the MW what interventions they would start discussing she assured me that unless there were signs of fetal distress I could expect a vaginal birth. That made me feel a lot more relaxed and we decided to go into the hospital. By then the contractions were 4 minutes apart and I needed to stop and breath through them. The MW was eager to hustle us out the door, which just shows that she knew more about what was going on than I did. I thought we had all the time in the world. By the time I got into the car the baby's head was so low I couldn't sit and endured a short but pretty painful trip to the hospital. I was definitely in my own little world by the time we arrived. My mom was waiting for us at the Emergency Room door. By now it was almost 1 AM. I can remember leaning over a railing and breathing through a contraction as I waited for my entourage (MW and dh) to get everything from the cars. A teenage girl passed by me and squealed, "She's gonna have a baby!" Of course, I knew this, but this is when I removed myself from my little mental cocoon for a brief moment and realized that I was finally going to meet my baby. I was going to be someone's mom!

The MW had to leave us early on, though, and get back to the birth center where they had two, maybe three, other births in progress. I understood at the time, although I had some hurt feelings afterward. We've since worked things through. It was just one of those things that no one could have foreseen.

I had one nurse, Nicole, through all of my active labor, and she was fabulous. She read my birth plan, and, bless her heart, giggled at all the places where I said pretty frankly that I just didn't want to be bugged. She was wonderful at honoring this request and probably wasn't in the room more than twice unless we asked for her. The did make me get the set-up for an IV in my hand, which I tried to decline, but they wouldn't let me. Turns out it didn't hurt at all and didn't bother me during labor, and I needed Pitocin after delivery to stop rapid blood loss. So, it was fine.

When we got settled in the L&D room, at about 1:30 AM, Nicole checked me and I was at 3 cm, -3 station (I think) and 70% effaced (I think, not sure about this now). This was the first check I'd had the whole pregnancy so I was pretty happy to hear I was at a nice, respectable place considering I'd only been in labor a few hours. From then on I labored very peacefully, all the while laying on my left side, a small irony considering how much I hated having to lay on my left side while I was pregnant (I'm a back sleeper). At some point I lost my dinner and then I had the massive bowel evacuation (all in the privacy of the bathroom, thank goodness). It was funny--I thought these were pretty exciting signs that things were really moving along!

My dh struggled to stay awake through labor, and I couldn't blame him, as did my mom. But he was right there with me when I needed to squeeze his hands and he helped my breath slowly through each contraction and calmed me when they got really intense. My mom, who also had back labor like I was having, kept a hot pad on my lower back the whole time and applied very gentle pressure during heavy contractions (counter pressure didn't work for me at all and made the pain much worse). She is also the one who told me my entire life that labor really isn't that painful as long as you let your body do what it needs to do and I'm so grateful that she gave me that confidence. Between her mantra ("Just let your uterus do its job") and Ina May's advice ("It's an interesting sensation that you must pay attention to") I was able to stay focused during contractions and completely rest in between. When things got intense I would talk to my uterus and thank it for working so hard to get my baby out and promised it I would completely relax and let it do it's job. This, for me, was the key to laboring naturally.

At 6 AM Nicole checked me at I was at 6 cm. I was happy as this was progress. I think she must have come in because, as my dh told me later, he had noticed by looking at the monitor that my contractions had slowed a little. I had noticed this, too, even though I wasn't paying any attention to the monitor, and I remember saying to myself, "This is the calm before the storm." I remembered how in birthing class we'd learned that there is often a resting time before transition. I also remembered that transition usually only lasts about an hour and I decided I would have this baby sometime between 8 AM and 10 AM.

After this last check things kicked into high gear. The contractions were very strong; really it was a continuous contraction with very high peaks. My back really ached. I couldn't resist the urges to push, and didn't try very hard, even though I knew that I shouldn't push too early to avoid cervix swelling. I decided that this was crap and pushed anyway. After about 45 minutes of this I told my dh to call Nicole because I really couldn't resist anymore. She smiled and said this was a good thing for her to know. She asked to check me again and I resisted. I really didn't want to hear I was only at 7 or, worse, still at 6. "It's not likely that I've gone very far in 45 minutes is it? You just checked me." She smiled again and said it was very likely. I let her check me and she told me, with a little glee in her voice, "You're complete!" I could have kissed her. It was like running a marathon and knowing you were on your victory lap!

The pushing part was probably the hardest for me. I really tried to wait for the peak of the contraction and the urge, but I didn't get the urge with every contraction. So I just rested and breathed through some of them. I was hanging over the back of the bad, clenching the headboard. After about an hour of this, the OB finally came in and wanted me to get into a better position to open my pelvis more. I resisted and whined because nothing felt right and I didn't know what I needed. She wanted me on my back and I really didn't want to do that because I was afraid it would slow things down. She was very clever, though and told me, "We can see the head and it could just be two pushes." That was pretty motivating so I got on my back thinking I was about to have my baby!

Two hours later....

Well, it was two more hours but it didn't seem like it. I rested between contractions and paced myself like I did when I was training for a run, only worrying about the next few yards to run, only worrying about this next contraction and not the ones afterward. At one point, after they'd been telling me that I was so close I yelled out, "What's taking so long?!!" I know everyone was worried I was losing steam. I actually had plenty of energy, I just wanted to see my baby and I was impatient! I then got very, very motivated and pushed as hard and as long as I could, like sprinting. Crowning was the most intense sensation--I though I was going to rip in half--but I knew this was it and I pushed with everything I had to get past that point. And I screamed. A lot. It felt good. (The next day I took a walk though the L&D ward and heard another woman gently moaning. I realized then that the whole entire floor had heard me!)

I didn't watch the crowning, but I saw little Clara's head in the mirror just after it was born. My first thought was, "That isn't what I expected her to look like!" After this, I don't really remember much, but I saw it all on the video. They suctioned her, then unwrapped the chord which was twice around her neck. Then her shoulders were born and I screamed again. I actually have no memory of that pain. They placed her on my tummy, but only briefly, and I barely remember this. I remember they said it was a girl (yay!) and asked dh to cut the chord, quickly. Then she was in the warmer getting her lungs suctioned for almost ten minutes. Dh was with her the whole time, and I know this was really hard for him. He let her hold his finger. She screamed with her gurgly voice and I knew she was in good hands, so I wasn't worried. In the meantime, I bled heavily, delivered a gigantic placenta (the nurse and the OB were like "Whoa!") and got one tiny stitch and a dose of Pitocin. I was pale, but I felt great. I kept saying, "I can't believe I did that!"

As soon as Clara's lungs were good they gave her to me to nurse. I was absolutely in awe. She still didn't look anything like I'd expected, which I guess was a little carbon copy of my husband. She had lots of blond and reddish hair, a cleft chin and a little round face. She was in the quiet alert state and looking all around. She nursed like a champ right away, thanks to the help of Karen, the baby nurse, who also is the one who fixed up her lungs. I was definitely in love, but the fact that this little person was my child, my daughter, didn't seem possible. She is just so perfect. It's still all sinking in. I stare at her sleeping and can't believe she's ours.

Again, thanks to all of you and your great support. Congrats to all the new mamas and babies, and all of those in waiting, sending you good labor vibes!!

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#82 of 101 Old 10-10-2003, 11:13 PM

Great story, KatSG! Congratulations on your daughter!
(wow...seems to be a lot of girls being born lately)

Ravin, thanks for checking in and posting your birth experience too..sorry about the jaundice and that you had to leave her in NICU temporarily...but I'm so glad you're enjoying your baby and healing from the unexpected cesearean. Luthien is a cool name!

Well, I've decided I want to go the other direction and hope to stay pregnant past my due date...it seems imminent that my son will come out with chicken pox. He's already got the runny nose, fever and it's been exactly 14 days since exposure...I guess I will know for sure by Sunday.

As for me, my blood titer test for varicella was equivocal, which means, "you MAY be immune to chicken pox"...not the reassuring response I was looking for! My midwife did say that it was only .02 points away from immunity, and that the blood test couldn't gauge my immunity gained from the one varicella vaccine I had (you're supposed to have 2, but I did not know that.) Oh well...I am probably immune, but taking some supplements and praying anyway.

I just think, if I could keep this baby in 3 more weeks (be a week overdue), it might miss all the infectious disease drama. I bet I'll be the only one here keeping my legs crossed at the end of the month! (ha ha...as if I could physically cross my legs)
#83 of 101 Old 10-10-2003, 11:53 PM

Hey all!! We were all working hard together!! Isn't that amazing! Here is the quick birth story version.
I was in very early labor on the 8th, by 5pm it kicked in about 6 minutes apart. Slowed down some to about 10 minutes apart late that night and I tried to sleep and let dh sleep, but I only got about an hour. DH got about 3 is all before I felt like I need some help. Very slow and steady, midwife came and checked me about 5:30 am. I was only at 4 cm and about 90% effaced. I had just gotten in the pool cuz it was starting to hurt and she made me get out and labor on land for awhile so it would move along. Midwife left and told us to call her back whenever we felt like we needed to. We were bummed, but esp. DH, but I was oK being alone a little longer. Then things really kicked in when I got outo of the water. When it started to get hard, I started to freak out some and got really scared and felt like I couldn't do it. From then on, I really had to fight within myself and my fears. I stayed on land as long as I could stand it, really labored on the toilet and in the bathroom with dh pressing my lower back which was KILLING me!! It wasn't really back labor, as if the baby was posterior, she wasn't, but enough to freak me out. I feel like I would have handled contractions better without the back part, but for some reason that pain was unreal. AT this point dh couldn't leave me for anything and was exhausted so I had him call the doula and midwives back. The doula arrived as I got back in the tub and was sobbing and scaring dh. She was fabulous and we are both so thankful for her. She talked me down, gave dh a small break so he could eat and just breathe, did my back pressure thing and just helped so much!! It was so hard, I couldn't have guessed how hard it would be for me. I had no sense of time, still not sure of all the events that followed. I know I was happy that someone had called the midwives to come back and when they got there it really helped me to make it further. I was totally scared and having a lot of trouble letting go and dealing with contractions. I so wanted to be done or get out of it somehow. And I was disappointed in myself. I wanted to handle things better. Meanwhile, I WAS doing it!!! I just was....looking back that was so great, but in the moment it was awful!! Pushing was terrifying for me, I absolutely hated it and could not get my body to relax and let go. Dh and the midwives and doula all worked hard to help me get through pushing, I fought tooth and nail within myself. It was totally cosmic too b/c as I was struggling to let go and push, a huge, I mean HUGE freak, thunder and lightening rainstorm came up and just pounded and raged!! I heard it and was really struck by how powerful it was and really important. I couldn't get comfy in the tub or braced to push and it hurt too bad to get out, so I just pushed in all kinds of wierd positions until I got the head out. We had a moment of shoulder dystocia, her head was out about 3 minutes and then they made me get out of the tub and on all fours. Midwife unhooked her shoulder from my bladder and out she came, no problem. She just couldn't get at her while I was in the tub. AS she was born the storm passed and the sun came out. It was incredible, amazing and the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life. AND he turned out to be a SHE!! I checked four times, the midwives were laughing so hard at me, I could NOT believe it. I was sooooooo sure he was a boy.
Allurah Katherine Eleanor Tracy Thornton was born at 1:15 pm on the 9th. She weighs 10 lbs 12.5 oz, 22 inches long, 14.5 head circ. Whew! Her middle names are all the midwives who delivered her.
I had my VBAC after two c/sections at home in the water!! I did it!
Congratulations to us all!! Ana.....be patient, it happen...I felt soooooooo much like you sound like your feeling.....I was so afraid I wouldn't go into labor!!
#84 of 101 Old 10-10-2003, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Sending you some Anabean vibes, Halah! Hope your little one stays put.

Ana, sending you mega labor vibes!

Congratulations everyone--Angela, Britt and Kat!
#85 of 101 Old 10-11-2003, 12:01 AM

thanks everyone. well, the NST today was fine, but--- the baby's baseline heart rate has decreased from 140's to 120's. it's still within normal, but they want to keep a CLOSE eye on us now.

i'm going back in tomorrow, and i'm afraid they're going to want to keep me and induce. i know they can't do anything if i don't consent, but i don't want to do anything to jeopardize my baby's well-being. i'm feeling so overwhelmed.

i'm getting accupuncture every day (thanks to my mom, the STAR, who's paying for it ), i think it's helping cause i've been getting contractions pretty often-- 10 to 15 mins for an hour, then they taper off, and then back on again.

they checked my cervix today. it's lower but still totally closed.

what the heck???? why isn't my body cooperating???
#86 of 101 Old 10-11-2003, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, earthmama!!!
#87 of 101 Old 10-11-2003, 12:51 AM

Congratulations KatSG & Earthmama...YEAH for babies...hehe

I am shocked out how many 10+ pounders that are being born...too cool...there have also been lots more girls then boys...hehe
#88 of 101 Old 10-11-2003, 01:32 AM

Hello I have been out of the loop but wanted to join in. Our EDD is Oct 25.
Congratulations to everyone...
Our time will come!
#89 of 101 Old 10-11-2003, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, nothing happened last night? Poor Ana, I keep hoping I will hear that she had her baby.
#90 of 101 Old 10-11-2003, 08:00 PM

hey mamas! ana - am thinking of you...and all the other mamas in waiting. i know its hard to wait, but your babes will be in arms SO soon you won't know what hit you!

angela&avery wrote:
Quote:
Autumn Mae was born on October 8th at 12:51 am...... we got home last night..
i'm lovin' the name! i'm a bit biased, of course!

KatSG wrote:
Quote:
Autumn, you and I labored together!
and shane too! cool to think that we three were all laboring that evening and delivered within hours of each other!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page