water slides? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do i really have to avoid these? Seriously? I was s o looking forward to spending the summer at Adventure Island and I want to go on water slides. How is theis dangerous?

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#2 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 PM

Water slides are bad?? But I don't go on the scary ones with lots of g-forces!

I wonder if the places that say "all water slides are BAD" are including things like the Log Ride as a "water slide"? Because while the water slides I've been on are fast, they don't have jolting.
#3 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 12:39 PM

Hmmm, probably depends on how far along you'll be.....
When you go, how far along will you be?
#4 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

well all summer, and i am two weeks right now.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#5 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 12:56 PM

I think it depends what kind they are. I wouldn't necessarily ride ones where you go down just on your butt. I went down a couple on a tube in March when I was about 5 months along. They were long winding ones without any real big drops and no danger of going on my belly or anything. I would say exercise caution. I know that a lot of places have liability clauses, though, that don't allow pregnant women to go on.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#6 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanoodle View Post
I know that a lot of places have liability clauses, though, that don't allow pregnant women to go on.
That is what I was going to say. However, if you aren't showing and you weigh your "risks" go on the ones you feel comfortable going on.

The one question I ask myself prior to making a decision to do something (biking, skiing, etc) is "can I forgive myself if something DID happen". And that usually helps me decide on whether or not to "risk" it.
#7 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 01:05 PM

We are going to Hurricane Harbor this weekend and I plan to ride the lazy river the whole time. mmmmmm, relaxing.
#8 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

my littlest does the lazy river.

#9 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 04:31 PM

The calmer slides are probably fine in early pregnancy. I'm not sure they would allow a big bellied mom down any? I'll be going this summer too, but not down any slides I'm guessing. I did some before I was showing during my first pregnancy and it was fun. The only thing I'm worried about is someone kicking me in the lazy river or wave pools since those places can get crowded and kids/teenagers aren't too careful about that.
#10 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 PM

I think the big reason they dont allow you on the slides is that you could flip over, or flip out of your tube on a turn and land on your belly... i've done that not pregnant and it doesn't feel good - i couldn't imagine landing on a pregger belly, or what that might do to baby.

Almost every waterpark i've been to has liability clauses too.
#11 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 04:45 PM

I did a small one when I was 6 months pregnant, and I did not do it again. I wouldn't do it... it scared me after I did it. I thought well its just water, and this was a pretty mellow slide, but the impact was pretty unnerving.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#12 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 04:49 PM

The lazy river sounds like a good idea. We are taking my DSD to a water park next weekend, and I figured I'd have to sit out doing anything... didn't think about the lazy river.... I just hope it's warm enough out.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#13 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

well thats that, i did not think about the implications of the slides. I am pretty bummed (living in Florida for as long as I have and this is my first time with a water park pass.), but honestly for my last birth i ended up having to refuse a free trip to Hawaii, and well this isn't as hard. LOL.

#14 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbloom View Post
I think the big reason they dont allow you on the slides is that you could flip over, or flip out of your tube on a turn and land on your belly... i've done that not pregnant and it doesn't feel good - i couldn't imagine landing on a pregger belly, or what that might do to baby.
That's what I was thinking...you could go around a curve and slam your belly into the wall. I think with a really tame, slow one you would be OK, but I know most amusement parks don't let pregnant women ride ANYTHING. I went to King's Dominion when pregnant with DS1 and I couldn't even ride the swings that go up in the air!
#15 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 PM

I like the water slides that have huge stable rafts where you're never in the slightest danger of getting thrown off or flipped over. The little inner tube ones freak me out, the lazy river is the fastest I'm willing to go in an inner tube. ( picturing myself using an inner tube now, maybe I'll just stick it around my belly and flop in? )

Oh, and those slides that are half tubes you slide down in a little tube? Horrible. Give me a nice full tunnel any day.
#16 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 PM

I think it's probably more for the company's protection than your own (in case you got hurt) but here's another point of view. There are so many women here (me included) that would give up ANYTHING for a baby worrying about giving up water slides for a summer seems very trivial.
#17 of 17 Old 05-28-2008, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I worked at waterslides for a few years and we would not let pregnant woman down... I also worked at a pool with a single slide and pregnant woman were welcome down.

As for my take? Do what feels comfortable. My boss at the pool hated that I went down but I'd been riding that slide for 8 years. My midwife (and the doctor from my previous pregnancy) was fine with it.

However it wasn't a speed slide (I could get some good speed on it tho ) and my body was used to it. I'd say go on the slow ones and AS YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE. That's the key.

Also if you start going down one and you aren't sure or it starts to scare you open your legs wide, sit up with your hands out to the sides IN FRONT of you. Don't let your hands get behind you. That's the slowest way to go down as a woman You should be able to stop or go as slow as you want in this position. Just in case you do get on a slide that you don't feel comfortable on

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page