urine smells like ammonia...UTI..?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed Tuesday when I woke up and went to the bathroom that my urine smelled like ammonia. At least I think it is my urine. I noticed the smell and I always wear a panty liner so I smelled that and it had a strong odor of ammonia. Some things I read say it's an infection and others say it's normal.

I'm seeing my midwife tomorrow so I will talk with her about it. Since noticing it I have been guzzling water and cranberry juice. I will admit that over the Memorial day weekend I didn't drink as much water as I usually do because I usually have clear urine and all weekend it was pretty yellow in color. I haven't noticed any other symptoms and the smell is getting better.

Can anyone suggest some more natural cures for a UTI that is safe for pregnant women? I will not take antibiotics!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 04:51 PM

I think that's normal. In fact, experts often say that if you think your water has broken, but it smells like ammonia, it's actually urine.

Kristina
Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 PM

I was looking into the ammonia smelling pee problem linked to over consumption of protein link last year. found this to be interesting:

"Most ammonia in the body forms when protein is broken down by bacteria in the intestines. The liver normally converts ammonia into urea, which is then eliminated in urine. ammonia levels will build up in the blood stream if too much protein is consumed."

I didn't see if you're vegetarian or not, but it could be that your body has had received to much protein? :

Another cause could be something you've eaten, like asparagus?

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 PM

there is ammonia in all urine... if it smells really really strong of ammonia, it might not hurt to have your urine tested for extra protein. Extra protein could mean a couple of different things that your midwife would want to be in on, so its good you're talking to her tomorrow, but i wouldn't worry too much.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! The smell is MUCH better today. I don't really smell it now. I think I might have eaten a little more protein than usual over the holiday weekend but maybe the fact that I wasn't diluting it with fluids caused it to be stronger??? She always checks my urine at every visit so she will know what the deal is.

User Tag List