Mothering Forum banner

THE "Most random, 'huh?', strange craving you've ever had" THREAD

2K views 65 replies 44 participants last post by  scarlett8808 
#1 ·
What is the strangest, most random craving you've ever had and maybe a funny/interesting scenario that the craving occurred?

My husband and I were driving along (I was about 3 months along) and I suddenly, without warning or any kind of buildup to it said outloud, "BANANA CHIPS!"

(husband)

"Seriously, we must get banana chips. Pull into that Fred Meyer and let me go get some!"

So we did...and they were good.

What about you?

-Caitrin

See less See more
#28 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pantufla View Post
Store-bought cinnamon rolls.
Velveeta mac n' cheese.
Jalapeno poppers -- you know, the ones that are filled with cheese, breaded, and deep fried?
Jalapenos on my pizza.
Pepperoncini peppers. On a sandwich.

OH man, I'm hungry.
Pepperochini peppers here too...

More specifically, I tell Subway to PILE THEM ON.

-Caitrin

#29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin'smom View Post
strawberries and brocolli
OMG! Never heard that one before

I must tell my husband that one. That's great!

-Caitrin

#30 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarMama View Post
Sandwiches. Of all kinds. Subway, ham sandwiches (with pickles and tomatoes), tuna sandwiches, pb&j, ect. And my fridge has filled up with every kind of pickle. Bread and butter. Dill. Sweet. Relish.
Of course I've always been a pickle junkie but lately I *have* to have them.

And as far as smells I'm totally going nuts over here! I run a daycare and have a little 17 week old in my care. I keep wanting to sniff his head remembering how wonderful my son's head smelled as a baby. And the little one's head smells like *nothing* to me. So so weird. Especially with my increased sensitivity.
I know what you mean about smelling babies' heads! Especially when they're freshly bathed- it smells so sweet.

I can't wait to smell my new baby's hair

-Caitrin

#31 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by triana1326 View Post
Poutine - French-Canadian dish consisting of french fries, beef gravy, and cheese.
oh! oh my, I haven't bashed a bunch of poutine and vinegar in... ages. I'm not PG but hot d@mn thats just one of those things that you have to eat like an animal at least 2x a year. Holy crap, I'm suposta be on a diet and all I can think about now is sweet sweet poutine. To top it off I'm in Ohio and there is literally NOWHERE that I can get some thats any good. You gotta have the super thick fresh cut fries. Oh, I'm dying here! And dill pickle doritos. they don't make them anymore, but Japan has Wasabi Doritos.

I leaving you preggos to your cravings and going back to my SUSHI and CAFFEINE!! wuahaha

#32 ·
with dd it was McDonald's french fries and Lucky Charms (two things i never eat)

with this one it's been Tim Tams, Tofu Teriyaki and Cucumber and Avocado Urumaki.
:

#33 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by superflippy View Post
Weirdest craving so far: a cheese milkshake. I didn't give in, because where would I get one?
When I was little, we didn't have a Steak and Shake in our town, so whenever we were on a road trip and passed one, I imagined that they had big blenders into which they put steak, mashed potatoes, and butter to make a shake. So perhaps they could make your cheeseshake, too.

I'm big into smells, especially this awesome company called Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com) that makes amazing and unique vegan perfume oil blends. They had this cool sale a few years ago called Chaos Theory where you paid your $20 and they sent you a random, numbered vial of something they had formulated but not marketed. Mine arrived, and it smelled like hot lemons and sugar, and I was so disappointed. But now that i'm pregnant, all I want to smell is hot lemons and sugar, and i'm practically bathing in the stuff. Ah, serendipity.

#34 ·
I wanted a gravy sundae... Mmm Vanilla icecream dripping in gravy
:

I didn't indulge because I was full but when asked at our favorite restaurant if there was anything I wanted this popped out of my mouth and sounded SOOOOOOO good. And I don't even really like their gravy. Our waitress would have gotten it for me in a heart beat too but I really was full.

Mmm poutine... We used to get the stuff at Costco or KFC but we just moved and the closest place to here is A&W for poutine... It's not bad but it's chicken gravy not beef... But it has the cheese curd... whereas anywhere else in this town it's just cheese and gravy
:

#35 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by brymommy View Post
I wanted a gravy sundae... Mmm Vanilla icecream dripping in gravy
:

You mean as in "turkey and gravy", "biscuits and gravy"...That kind of gravy???

lol. Now THAT is a unique craving right there

-Caitrin

#37 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yogamonkeyjo View Post
MINT SUN TEA. by the gallons.
Oh that reminds me...

My drink craving is also tea, but specifically, strong sweet Lipton ice tea...

Yum...

Making some now...

-Catrin

#41 ·
For a while I couldn't get enough of pickles and cranberry juice (together) sometimes I would squeeze fresh lemon juice into my cranberry juice. Now I really can't live without olives (green ones) I'll eat a whole jar if I don't watch it.

#42 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan's mommy View Post
For a while I couldn't get enough of pickles and cranberry juice (together) sometimes I would squeeze fresh lemon juice into my cranberry juice. Now I really can't live without olives (green ones) I'll eat a whole jar if I don't watch it.
You can have my green olive jar.

My mom sent us a huge one (I don't know why!) Green olives are my "yuck food" this pregnancy

-Caitrin

#43 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BirthMatters View Post
Another smell wierdo here! I am madly in love with the smell of chlorine--as in pool water. I looooove it!!! YMCA here I come!
Wow, someone else with the same smell craving!
I just went to the pool. It was soooooooo yummy smelling, LOL. Hey, at least this is getting my butt to the gym 4x a week still - no easy feat in your 3rd trimester with twins, LOL!

#47 ·
ok i am decidedly NOT pregnant, but when i WAS pregnant, i CRAVED the smell of chlorinated water, like from the pool, or the local fountains for the kids to play in. OMG the thought of that smell would make me salivate.
also. Charlies laundry powder, the smell of it straight from the bucket, into water, it would make me salivate so badly. i did NOT want to eat it. but i did want to stand there and huff huff huff all i could.

i am a big sniffer anyways, but when pregnant i CRAVE certain smells.

#48 ·
I don't think I'd classify this as a weird craving, but I'm constantly craving club soda and mineral water. At first I put tons of lemons and limes in it, but now I just drink it straight.

Talking about smells, mostly I just can't stand the smells of a lot of things. But DH's Uncle was totally making fun of my BIL (the oldest in DH's family) at a family party telling him how my MIL liked to sniff gasoline when she was pg with him.

DH's Uncle said that my MIL would make my FIL go get the gas cap off the car and wrap it in cloth for her to inhale happily. We all ribbed my BIL about it, but DH's Uncle likes to spin yarns so we thought he was just making things up to be funny.

Well when DH and I were over at his parent's this weekend, both FIL and MIL confirmed that it was true!!
MIL said she just couldn't get enough of the scent.

DH who is the baby in his family looked kinda worried and said, "Uh Mom, did you have any sniff cravings while you were pregnant with me?"

#49 ·
haha- this thread is hilarious! and stiring up my appetite =) if only i could find pepper jack cheese in NZ...

unfortunately, we live 1 hour out of town, so often when i have a spontaneous craving, it is unattainable for the immediate moment- though it usually sticks if it's a strong enough one!

i'm about 10 weeks along & often super queasy, but for the past week i've been eating peanut butter & jam sandwiches with corn chips (between the bread, that is). not TOO weird cause i ate similar variants as a kid, but my dp thinks it's pretty weird.

i'll have a couple days of only eating crackers & bread & boring things, then suddenly i wasnt spicey pad thai! makes NO sense to me...

#50 ·
sushi and potato salad. I never got it though because I am very particular about my potato salad and I wanted the kind that is yellow- more mustard based- and everywhere we went that night only had the creamy white kind. Plus I couldn't find anywhere that had sushi along with it
: DH thought I was totally disgusting for even wanting it

#51 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by love14 View Post
sushi and potato salad. I never got it though because I am very particular about my potato salad and I wanted the kind that is yellow- more mustard based- and everywhere we went that night only had the creamy white kind. Plus I couldn't find anywhere that had sushi along with it
: DH thought I was totally disgusting for even wanting it

If you lived in Japan, you would have been fine. I've seen both packaged together before, though most often you would have had to buy them seperately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.