THE "Most random, 'huh?', strange craving you've ever had" THREAD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the strangest, most random craving you've ever had and maybe a funny/interesting scenario that the craving occurred?

My husband and I were driving along (I was about 3 months along) and I suddenly, without warning or any kind of buildup to it said outloud, "BANANA CHIPS!"

(husband)

"Seriously, we must get banana chips. Pull into that Fred Meyer and let me go get some!"

So we did...and they were good.

What about you?

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#2 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 08:00 PM

Stove top stuffing. I haven't had the stuff since I was a kid but I had to have it. My husband and daughter watched me eat it in digust.
#3 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRosie View Post
Stove top stuffing. I haven't had the stuff since I was a kid but I had to have it. My husband and daughter watched me eat it in digust.
:

That's awesome.

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#4 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 PM

Wendy's fries with Burger King barbeque sauce. I think the last time I had Burger King bbq sauce I was 17 years old! But it was such a specific craving! :

It was the most satisfying meal I have ever eaten.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 08:34 PM

Tom's of Maine Fennel toothpaste.

Couldn't get enough my last pg and I'm the same again this pg. If could I'd be brushing my teeth with it 12 times a day. DH laughs every night when I brush my teeth for 10 minutes saying "mmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMmmmmm."
#6 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 08:38 PM

Hm, not sure if it would qualify as weird or not but cold saurkraut....for breakfast
#7 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 PM

The Gorganzola salad from Rotelli's, a chain Italian restraunt that I used to go to in Florida. We don't have it where I am. I'm flying to Florida this summer and its the first thing I'm doing when I get off the plane.
#8 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 PM

My last pregnancy I craved McDonalds Fish Sandwiches. OMG GROSS! I only gave in a few times.
#9 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 10:19 PM

I just had a specific craving for those cupcakes they sell for graduation/birthdays/etc... the little ones with two inches of icing on the top and sprinkles? Yeah. I just drove 20 minutes to get these damn things.

But OMG are they good. Numm.
#10 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 PM

Pool water. I don't want to drink it, I just want to smell it. And smell it. And smell it. Same with towels. Weird, I know.
#11 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 10:27 PM

Store-bought cinnamon rolls.
Velveeta mac n' cheese.
Jalapeno poppers -- you know, the ones that are filled with cheese, breaded, and deep fried?
Jalapenos on my pizza.
Pepperoncini peppers. On a sandwich.

OH man, I'm hungry.
#12 of 66 Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 PM

Pickled jalapenos. I eat a can with lunch and dinner all the time.
Hot chocolate pudding. I eat it right when it is done simmering, and have a burned tounge.
#13 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 08:38 AM

I've been craving those giant-sized Smarties that come in the giant Smartie roll. DH thinks it's misplaced pica and I just want the chalkie texture, but I think it's the straight up citric acid, because i'm also quite into limes right now.
#14 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 AM

Oh yes, in addition to my toothpaste thing, I am ALL about smells. Particularly essential oils like tea tree and lavendar. Oooh wow. I have a diffuser in our laundry room with TTO in it and I love just walking into the room and inhaling. No, "love" isn't strong enough, I CRAVE smelling it.
#15 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Oh yes, in addition to my toothpaste thing, I am ALL about smells. Particularly essential oils like tea tree and lavendar. Oooh wow. I have a diffuser in our laundry room with TTO in it and I love just walking into the room and inhaling. No, "love" isn't strong enough, I CRAVE smelling it.
Oh yay. Another smell weirdo.
#16 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 AM

I think it's weird that all these foods that I normally won't eat, I love when I'm pg. Anything spicy, I'm all about. Poppers, salsa, spicy V-8, oh yeah! Plus things like cole slaw and raw onions--usually, I think those are nasty, but now, I'm loving.
#17 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 12:02 PM

salt-and-vinegar potato chips :

(i only want them when i'm pregnant)
#18 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 PM

Weirdest craving so far: a cheese milkshake. I didn't give in, because where would I get one?

Yesterday I had Chinese fried rice and chocolate mini-donuts for lunch - two random things I'd normally never eat, especially together. It was so good!

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
#19 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnMama View Post
Hm, not sure if it would qualify as weird or not but cold saurkraut....for breakfast
My craving is saurkraut too and I didn't even used to like saurkraut. Now, I don't want it for breakfast yet

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#20 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 01:40 PM

Poutine - French-Canadian dish consisting of french fries, beef gravy, and cheese.

Seriously, it was the only thing that settled my stomach for the first three months...Thank goodness the restaurant down the street from work makes excellent poutine.

ETA: And homemade bread and butter pickles that my co-worker canned last season. I begged her for her other three quart jars and inhaled the pickles within a week.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#21 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 02:06 PM

Sandwiches. Of all kinds. Subway, ham sandwiches (with pickles and tomatoes), tuna sandwiches, pb&j, ect. And my fridge has filled up with every kind of pickle. Bread and butter. Dill. Sweet. Relish. Of course I've always been a pickle junkie but lately I *have* to have them.

And as far as smells I'm totally going nuts over here! I run a daycare and have a little 17 week old in my care. I keep wanting to sniff his head remembering how wonderful my son's head smelled as a baby. And the little one's head smells like *nothing* to me. So so weird. Especially with my increased sensitivity.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#22 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 02:19 PM

Lucysmama - I am totally a smell weirdo. I don't have the same pool craving you do, but I can fully imagine it. What IS that? I enjoy some smells so much I don't want the enjoyment of them to diminish after pg! Like tea tree oil, I've never really liked it and sometimes thought it was a bad smell, but right now I just can not get enough of it.

Last pg all I wanted to eat was baloney sandwiches. (I never eat baloney in real life!) So at least this smell thing seems a little healthier!
#23 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 02:47 PM

I totally hear the poutine craving, not something I would normally eat but I love it right now!!!
As for other cravings, I have been in love with grilled cheese, watermelon (we have eaten 5 so far this season), pickled fiddlehead ferns, banquet breast meat chicken nuggets (not something we eat regularly) for lunch, Unsweetened iced tea (normally I'm a diet coke girl)
I think that is about it.
Oh and I love the smell of this one shopping plaza near me. There is a longhorns steakhouse there and the smell of steak and french fries coming out of that place is just heaven. And I don't eat steak.
Shawna
#24 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 02:54 PM

strawberries and brocolli

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
#25 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocraft View Post
I totally hear the poutine craving, not something I would normally eat but I love it right now!!!
As for other cravings, I have been in love with grilled cheese, watermelon (we have eaten 5 so far this season), pickled fiddlehead ferns, banquet breast meat chicken nuggets (not something we eat regularly) for lunch, Unsweetened iced tea (normally I'm a diet coke girl)
I think that is about it.
Oh and I love the smell of this one shopping plaza near me. There is a longhorns steakhouse there and the smell of steak and french fries coming out of that place is just heaven. And I don't eat steak.
Shawna
Ditto for the fiddleheads!!! You were with me when I bought my 3rd pound of fiddleheads at the farmer's market - and I am desperately craving more of them, esp. now that the season's almost over. I normally love eating season to season, but this sucks!!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#26 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 03:29 PM

Warheads. You know, the super sour hard candy? I haven't had them since I was about 11 but all of a sudden I needed them. I picked up a couple at a candy store and they were so puckery and delicious. A few days later I found a whole bag at a drug store. I ate it in two days. By the end I could barely even taste the sour any more, I had become so desensitised to it.
#27 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 03:43 PM

For a week it was Wasabi
#28 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantufla View Post
Store-bought cinnamon rolls.
Velveeta mac n' cheese.
Jalapeno poppers -- you know, the ones that are filled with cheese, breaded, and deep fried?
Jalapenos on my pizza.
Pepperoncini peppers. On a sandwich.

OH man, I'm hungry.
Pepperochini peppers here too...

More specifically, I tell Subway to PILE THEM ON.

-Caitrin

#29 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin'smom View Post
strawberries and brocolli
OMG! Never heard that one before

I must tell my husband that one. That's great!

-Caitrin

#30 of 66 Old 05-30-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarMama View Post
Sandwiches. Of all kinds. Subway, ham sandwiches (with pickles and tomatoes), tuna sandwiches, pb&j, ect. And my fridge has filled up with every kind of pickle. Bread and butter. Dill. Sweet. Relish. Of course I've always been a pickle junkie but lately I *have* to have them.

And as far as smells I'm totally going nuts over here! I run a daycare and have a little 17 week old in my care. I keep wanting to sniff his head remembering how wonderful my son's head smelled as a baby. And the little one's head smells like *nothing* to me. So so weird. Especially with my increased sensitivity.
I know what you mean about smelling babies' heads! Especially when they're freshly bathed- it smells so sweet.

I can't wait to smell my new baby's hair

-Caitrin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page