Mothering Forum banner

Lets talk about PIH

743 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  gwerydd 
#1 ·
With DS I had PIH and was induced at 37 weeks. Not fun.

I'm there again, even with my hardest efforts to fight it off. My BP runs high ALWAYS, so really it isn't that high for ME. I am around 140/90 now, which is actually the highest it has been all pregnancy. I'm 39 weeks today and baby is at 0 position. My MW and I have decided that we won't do anything until 150/100 since I usually run 135/85 not pregnant. Dipped for protein today, nothing. Never is. This really is PIH and not pre-e. No swelling, etc. Though I do get headaches related to when my BP is high.

What is a seizure level? When should I really get worried about stillbirth etc? The MW estimated my bean around 8.5 pounds today, so it is definitely growing!!! I don't think I am going to sit with a baby this low for this long, but I am hoping to hang out for another week or two.

Anyone BTDT?

#2 ·
I had PIH with my first pregnancy. My BP did shoot up to danger level and I had a c-section. Now don't lose hope!!! I also had PIH with my second. I tried to watch what I ate and I believe it helped. I ended up with a hospital vbac with no BP problems. This time, my BP is creeping up and I have not been very good with my diet
I'm getting on that very soon. As for what the danger level is? I'm not sure. I'm curious to see if anyone else has links because I haven't been able to find any either. With my DD my BP before labor peeked at 144/110 (they wouldn't let me leave the doctors office till it went down, I had to think about puppies and kittens alot). During labor it shot higher. With DS it peeked at 140/90, but never went higher, even in Labor. Every pregnancy and labor is different. This one I'm just doing my best and trying everything I can to keep it down.

There are a few things that can make your BP read high when it's not. Little things. BP cuff being to small, the automatic machines always read higher (refuse them in labor, make the nurse do it manually), sit in a chair keeping your feet flat on the floor and your arm supported on a table when having your bp checked (this one is serious. If you think about it most women sit on the exam table, arm flopped out, legs dangling. If you already fight bp problems, this position will guarantee it will be high.) I did hypnobirthing techniques to help me through it. I was obsessed with my blood pressure while preparing for my vbac.
I need to get back on the ball again. Lets keep this thread going!

#3 ·
Oh yes, I know all the tricks when taking BP. And am doing all the diet/supplements I know of. See 140/90 for me isn't that high not pregnant, so it doesn't bother me too much actually. I think the difference between pre-pregnancy and pregnancy is important.

I'm just wondering what is harmful to me, and what sets me up for a much higher risk for stillbirth. I don't want to get that high. It was 130/89 this morning, not to bad for me! And actually it was 128/87 last night. But yesterday during the day I got 150/101 so that is a little worrisome.

#4 ·
Well, I don't know what the danger threshold is. I'll be lurking on this thread to see others' responses.

I had a c-section first time for PIH. The second time I hovered on the edge of really high BP, but managed to keep it around 140/90, until I went into labour naturally 9 days late.

I just thought that I would share my MW 'recipe' for high BP. I think that it helped me:

- raw garlic, 2 times per day
- 500 vitamin c daily
- increase calcium: 2000 mg/day
- increase folic acid - 800 mg
- rest on left side 2 times per day - 1 hr each
- Hot foot baths, Epsom salt baths
- increase protein
- 10-12 glasses of water per day
- salt food to taste

For edema - dandilion capsules 1/day

Also - from other reading I've sone: scullcap tea; lavendar oil (especially if given during a relaxation massage); decrease carbs

#5 ·
Subbing-

I've had PIH/pre-e (I'm not certain which it's been since they never did the definitive tests) with all of mine. I'm 22 weeks right now and hoping to avoid it all together this time.

I actually didn't know about those tips regarding how BP is taken so thank you!

#6 ·
I've had PIH in both of my pregnancies, and it's a real pain to deal with. I also run a bit high normally when I'm not pg, too.

I don't know if there really is a standard threshold level that would be the danger zone. I had a day with readings averaging about 180/100, and, while that generated a fair amount of panic and warranted a hospital stay for observation, it didn't trigger any talk of immediate delivery or high danger. My doctor always talked with me about what would be reasonable levels *for me*, so I assumed that it was an individual thing. The only guideline I've ever heard (other than the 140/90 cutoff) is that, compared to your baseline, you don't want it to be more than 30 higher systolic and 15 diastolic.

In your case, I think I would be a bit worried if you're frequently hanging out around that 150/101. As a fluke or an occasional high reading it wouldn't (didn't) bother me.

#7 ·
I want to join! (Actually, I don't.... but unfortunately, I qualify).

This is my first pregnancy, and I have PIH. Pre-Preg my blood pressure was low, at 100/60. When my BP rose to 125/85 around 22 weeks my doc got nervous and I have been off work ever since.

I am now 34 weeks, and my systolics (first number) continue to be ok. My diastolics continue to jump around, and are anywhere between 82 and 98. I am currently on modified activities... not bedrest, thank goodness.... but basically "sit on the couch as much as possible" rest.

I am thrilled that I am being watched closely, but am starting to get really tired of having to see so many healthcare professionals. I see my OB weekly, have a biophysical profile / growth scan and consult with a peri weekly, and am on a homecare program with registered nurses. The nurses come out three times a week, once to do a non-stress test, and twice just to check on me and the baby. The days I don't have anything the nurses still call to check in. Oi.

For me, my "run to the hospital" numbers are anything over 160/100 (either number). Seizure levels have to be quite high... like 200/140 kind of high. They wouldn't let you ever get that high... I hope. They do tend to let people with chronic HBP to run a little higher before they panic, so it is best to check with you doctor about what numbers you need to really worry about.

#8 ·
i had severe PIH/Pre e with my dd. my bp skyrocketed to 212/121 the day she was born. i was having headaches and visual disturbances. i ended up having a c-section, induction was considered too risky. 140/90 doesn't sound too bad, especially if you're baseline while not pregnant is what it is. my drs didn't really start to worry until the diastolic got into the tripple digits, even then they didn't panic until it was over 110. it sounds like you're doing pretty well, keep monitoring it though as things can change very quickly. good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.