How fast do second babies come?? - Mothering Forums
I'm Pregnant > How fast do second babies come??
Jen78fl's Avatar Jen78fl 02:14 PM 06-13-2008
Hi all. Well, I am at 38 weeks now. My son was born at about 39 weeks, so Im hoping this one will be coming soon. I have always heard that second babies come faster than the first ones so I am getting a little nervous. I am hoping that it will happen like last time where I had mild contractions for quite awhile before I even needed to go to the hospital. I also had the pink tinged mucus at the same time so I knew when it was starting. I know all pregnancies are different though and Im wondering how this one will go. Once it starts we have to call someone to come watch our son and then go to the hospital. I am just hoping that everything doesnt happen too fast. I am probably worrying about this for nothing, but I just wanted to see how fast your second babies came in comparison to your first.. Thanks everyone

Jen

donnamr3211's Avatar donnamr3211 05:19 PM 06-13-2008
I am pregnant with #4. With all mine my water started leaking between 3pm and 8pm and they were all born between 7:30am and 9:30am. With my last I had a home birth and it was my shortest & easist labor. It was only about 2 hours of hard labor and that was it.
Rockies5's Avatar Rockies5 05:39 PM 06-13-2008
Its pretty much an old wives tale. My babies came when they did. It makes more sense to take labor as it comes and not worry about it. There wasn't any pattern to my 6 labors, other then each one was individual

Sure the second was less, but that's mainly because once you've expereinced labor you tend to ignore it until you are in the more active part. So in a poll it will look like second labors are taking half as long, when in reality it's about the same; but we have learned to ignore the earlier parts.
elfinbaby's Avatar elfinbaby 05:55 PM 06-13-2008
My first was 2 hr. 45 min. and the second was 1 hr. 45 min. 3rd was 6 hrs. just for comparison.

I don't think there are any "for sure's" in pregnancy and birthing. Reading all the ? threads this time around I have seen responses all over the spectrum to particular questions that attempt to pin down something, anything childbearing related. I think we instinctively want that, lol, but it's not going to happen. There are too many variables.

All babies are different and need to gestate for different lengths. All babies have their own idea of what their birth will be like We can guess and wish but that's it really
Vancouver Mommy's Avatar Vancouver Mommy 06:15 PM 06-13-2008
I had a lovely, quick (but not disturbingly fast) labour and birth with my second. From the time we started timing the "real" contractions (ie. noticeably uncomfortable) to the time he was in my arms was about 4 hours. About 15 minutes of pushing.
Jen78fl's Avatar Jen78fl 06:36 PM 06-13-2008
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input!
Hokulele's Avatar Hokulele 07:20 PM 06-13-2008
My rational answer: there is no way to predict and there really isn't any point in being worried ahead of time.

My real answer: My labor with DD was 48 hours. I don't want to go THAT long again, but I worry more about it being a fast labor. Every mom I talk to who had a labor as long or longer than mine had a second labor that was MUCH shorter. One friend - 50+ hours with #1, 3 hours with #2.

I do worry about a fast labor because I'll need to hunt down DH in the field (he's out doing research in state parks every day, often out of cell phone service), then hunt down the people who will look after DD, and then get myself to the hospital (1/2 hour away).

BUT - I'll go back to my rational answer, my mantra right now: there is no way to predict and there really isn't any point in being worried ahead of time.
bvnms's Avatar bvnms 10:29 PM 06-13-2008
With Stephanie, it was 18 and 1/2 hours, with Michael, it was 15 and 1/2 hours. The rest of them it was between 7-9 hours, only with Melody I can't remember how long because they gave me that demerol and I don't remember much after they gave it to me.
coyotemist's Avatar coyotemist 11:53 AM 06-14-2008
Mama, it sounds like you have a good case of wishful end of pregnancy thinking on your hands! Hugs, I remember wanting those last few weeks to be over so I could just MEET the baby!

DD (1st) was a 38 weeker after 11 weeks of preterm labor and bedrest. Her labor was less than 12 hours from water breaking to delivery. DS (2nd) was born hours after his due date and was 14 hours or so from bloody show to delivery (only about 6hours active labor).

Using that reckoning, this baby should be late, but he/she had better NOT be! As another poster said, they are all unique, and each labor is individual. It'll happen when its time, and there should be plenty of time to get things together.
Thursday Girl's Avatar Thursday Girl 12:49 PM 06-14-2008
my first labor was 26 hours, my 2nd was 43 hours.

Each baby is different. My mom's LONGEST was 8 hours, her twins were less then that.
boscopup's Avatar boscopup 01:53 PM 06-14-2008
My second was twice as long as my first... 2.5 hours, then 5 hours. The 5 hours was much easier and had a good early labor (AF-like cramps that took me an hour to realize they happened to be coming every 5 minutes ). The first one kind of started up out of nowhere, but I was also PPROM and had been on labor-stopping meds for 4 days, so that may have affected it.

My mom's labors were 5 hours, 2.5 hours, 1.5 hours (I was almost born in the parking lot). My sister's labors were 5 hours, 4 hours. Sis was still at work when her 4 hour labor started, and she still had plenty of time to get to the birth center (she was actually e-mailing me saying there was a vague possibility that she was in labor, and sure enough...).
1babysmom's Avatar 1babysmom 03:16 PM 06-14-2008
My first took 12 hours- 9 on my own at home, then we went to the hospital, I got an epi, and blah. DD2 was just born at home unassisted...almost 5.5 hours from beginning to end...but the FAST part was pushing. She SHOT out less than 3 minutes after my water broke (which I was NOT pushing before that happened!). DD1 took over an hour to push out.
lookingforaname's Avatar lookingforaname 11:48 PM 06-14-2008
My first was 32 hours. . .

My second was an hour and a half. . . . (accidental and wonderful home birth!)

I thoroughly enjoyed both!!
berkeleyp's Avatar berkeleyp 01:28 AM 06-15-2008
No rules but here is more anecdotal evidence that second labors are often shorter than first.

My first was over 24 hours with nearly 3 hours of pushing. Of course, maybe I would ignore about 8 of those hours now but still not a short labor.

My second was 3 hours start to finish and I didn't think I was in labor for the first hour and a half! Definitely a lot shorter - ignoring ctx or no.
mbhf's Avatar mbhf 10:48 AM 06-15-2008
my first was 36 hours, with 4 hours of pushing at 37 weeks.

my second was under two hours, with just a few minutes of pushing at 37 weeks 3 days.

so for me, my second was much much faster.
mzminty's Avatar mzminty 12:32 PM 06-15-2008
This is an interesting thread. I'm pregnant with #2 and planning a waterbirth at a hospital about 40 minutes away. I'm due in January, and around here, we get pretty bad winter storms where the driving is pretty bad, even with four-wheel drive.

With my first birth, I went grocery shopping the night before, and I remember stopping and holding on to the grocery cart every once in a while while I had a contraction. I realize now that it was labor starting, but at the time, I guess I though they were Braxton-Hicks, because I went home, unloaded my groceries and went to bed.

The next morning I woke up around 7 and started eating some cold cereal. It was then that I started having contractions again, and was surprised that they were already pretty close together. I think I was just in denial, because my ex was "mad" that I was in labor (long story) and I was trying to pretend everything was fine. He left, so I called my mom to take me to the hospital and by the time we got there, it was 9 o' clock. A dimwit nurse put me in a screening room for ten or fifteen minutes and when she finally came to check me, started screaming for a doctor, because I was completely dilated and my bag of waters was bulging out of me. They moved me to another room , I pushed a couple of times and dd was born at 9:30. So I don't know how to time that labor. Was I laboring all night and didn't know it, or was I in labor for 2 1/2 hours?

At any rate, I'm afraid that if this baby is born any faster, I'm not going to make it to the hospital on time, or dh is going to miss the birth, etc. I also feel like my first birth was chaotic, for as much as it was incredible. I may wish I had never said this, but I kind of want this one to last just a little bit longer so I can experience it better. Am I crazy?
Jen78fl's Avatar Jen78fl 02:41 PM 06-15-2008
Thanks everyone. I am just getting kind of nervous. We found out a few days ago that my husband wont be able to take any time off work before the baby is born, so basically he cant leave work until I am starting to have contractions. This wouldnt be such a big deal but it takes him almost an hour to get home from work, and if there is an accident or bad traffic it could be more. Also the person I am going to call to watch my son is also about that far away. We are in a smaller town outside of a big one (luckily we are going to the small hospital not too far from here). Not to mention we may have to go pick up our son at summer school if it happens while hes there! So I am REALLY hoping that she does not come too quickly. I have heard of some of you having unexpected homebirths but it really scares me, especially if I was by myself! I dont think Id know what to do. lol BTW, are there ways to slow down labor? I believe I have heard laying on your side is one way.. Not sure though.. Anyway, thanks again all for sharing your stories!

Jen
berkeleyp's Avatar berkeleyp 10:20 PM 06-15-2008
My daughter was born at a donut shop because I didn't think my labor would progress so quickly. I woke up around 8:30 am aware that I'd been having more Braxton Hicks which I'd been having for like a week so I thought nothing of it (I was only 38 weeks). By 10am, I called the midwife because I was pretty sure I might be in labor. ON her advice, I took a shower, then a bath and then we left. We were planning to deliver at the midwife's house about 45 mins away. We didn't make it. I was pushing in the car but thought I just had to go to the bathroom and insisted dh stop the car at the nearest place. She was born after a few pushes in a public bathroom. I wish I had left as soon as I knew labor was upon me or had just stayed home. Even though the midwives wouldn't have made it on time, at least I wouldn't have had to deal with going to the ER. I don't mean to scare anyone but my advice is to be careful how long you wait to leave if you are going anywhere.
berkeleyp's Avatar berkeleyp 10:21 PM 06-15-2008
My daughter was born at a donut shop because I didn't think my labor would progress so quickly. I woke up around 8:30 am aware that I'd been having more Braxton Hicks which I'd been having for like a week so I thought nothing of it (I was only 38 weeks). By 10am, I called the midwife because I was pretty sure I might be in labor. ON her advice, I took a shower, then a bath and then we left. We were planning to deliver at the midwife's house about 45 mins away. We didn't make it. I was pushing in the car but thought I just had to go to the bathroom and insisted dh stop the car at the nearest place. She was born after a few pushes in a public bathroom around 11:30am. I wish I had left as soon as I knew labor was upon me or had just stayed home. Even though the midwives wouldn't have made it on time, at least I wouldn't have had to deal with going to the ER. I don't mean to scare anyone but my advice is to be careful how long you wait to leave if you are going anywhere.
merry-mary's Avatar merry-mary 11:00 PM 06-15-2008
Well ... my labor was about the same length with both kids. DS (age 2) labor lasted about 18 hours total from the first contraction to his birth. DD (age 1 month) labor was about the same.

However, my labor with DD was far more challenging for me. DS's labor was fast moving: I dilated quickly, but pushing took quite awhile. With DD, it took me a very long time to dilate. Contractions were long and intense, but spaced far apart. However, once things got moving along and it was time to push, pushing lasted 15 minutes!

My advice to you: do NOT go into your second birth with ANY expectations whatsoever. I went into DD's birth assuming it would be "faster" and "easier" than DS's birth. Not so. And my expectation really hindered things I think, as I would get frustrated that labor wasn't progressing as quickly as I thought it should be. Once I just let go of my expectations and just birthed and let things come, labor was a lot better.
Jen78fl's Avatar Jen78fl 11:32 PM 06-15-2008
Thanks berkeley and mary
lookingforaname's Avatar lookingforaname 09:27 PM 06-18-2008
Labor #1 = 32 hours
Labor #2 = 1.5 hours

Now I'm personally curious . . . what were the times for people past 3 children???
Jen78fl's Avatar Jen78fl 12:15 AM 06-19-2008
That is a huge difference lookingforaname!
lookingforaname's Avatar lookingforaname 12:40 AM 06-19-2008
It is a pretty big difference, eh? No wonder #2 was accidentally born at home unattended . . . . I was totally psyching myself out for a really long labor again.

If you average the two numbers, it's pretty average labor time though!
Jen78fl's Avatar Jen78fl 02:37 PM 06-19-2008
I am starting to hear about a lot of second babies coming really quickly. I hope my husband is able to get home and get us to the hospital in time..

By the way, how did things go with the unattended birth? Was it you and your husband? The scariest thing would be if it were just me on my own when it happened..

Jen
leafwood's Avatar leafwood 02:42 PM 06-19-2008
Dd was born 2 days early. Contractions started around 7pm and she was born at 9am (epi & pit).

Ds was born 2 days late. Contractions started around 10pm and he was born at 4pm. Unmedicated birth, labored in tub.
Jen78fl's Avatar Jen78fl 02:44 PM 06-19-2008
Thanks leafwood
Up