Unconventional births on.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
 
Jojo F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: cocka-poo-poo-pee-pee-shire
Posts: 3,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Discovery Health right now.

: "unconventional" : Women have been giving birth at home and in water for how long now? C'mon, the US really needs to catch up with the rest of the world!!!

But my emotions are totally getting a hold of me, I can't watch this for 5 minutes without getting teary eyed!! Even watching the trailer for The Business of Being Born makes me cry!!

OK, it's back!!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Jojo F. is offline  
#2 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 10:44 AM
 
DentedHalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hah, I was peeking at it too. My cable's 'interactive guide' description for the program is "Women choose unusual birth methods."

Unusual...
DentedHalo is offline  
#3 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 10:46 AM
 
BookishVonLiberal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, these days using your vagina is unusual. Just about all of my IRL friends have cesareans. I've stopped asking people about VBACs now that I know the VBAC rate is less than 10%.
BookishVonLiberal is offline  
#4 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 11:01 AM
 
chicasmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On the mountain top
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishVonLiberal View Post
Hey, these days using your vagina is unusual.
~ SO true!!!
chicasmama is offline  
#5 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 11:06 AM
 
pixiepunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hampshire County, WV
Posts: 4,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
laughup: OK, that literally made me LOL
pixiepunk is offline  
#6 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
 
DentedHalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishVonLiberal View Post
Hey, these days using your vagina is unusual.
OMG! Does that mean that I shouldn't have used a tampon this morning, but should have gone to a doc to have it inserted instead? :

I'm sorry for the kookiness above. I just got off the phone with a caring friend of mine, who called me to tell me all about the immense dangers of HB, how no woman is able to deal with the pain without drugs, and how much safer a C\S is. She also, knowing that she's talking to a medical abuse victim, kept explaining to me how caring and well informed doctors are, and how I should just stop being arrogant.

Please shoot me... :
DentedHalo is offline  
#7 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
 
Jojo F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: cocka-poo-poo-pee-pee-shire
Posts: 3,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishVonLiberal View Post
Hey, these days using your vagina is unusual.


DentedHalo- Goodness, you'd think your friend would be a little more, well, thoughtful, caring, understanding?!

"how no woman is able to deal with the pain without drugs" Is she serious?!!! There must not have been any babies born before there were drugs. Our human population MUST be very small, right?!

I plan on getting The Business of Being Born and making my whole family watch it. I don't care if they don't want to watch it, I will duct tape them to the couch if I have to.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Jojo F. is offline  
#8 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
 
BookishVonLiberal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentedHalo View Post
OMG! Does that mean that I shouldn't have used a tampon this morning, but should have gone to a doc to have it inserted instead? :
Oh no, clearly you should be on some kind of contraception that causes the cessation of menstrual periods.
BookishVonLiberal is offline  
#9 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 12:00 PM
 
DentedHalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishVonLiberal View Post
Oh no, clearly you should be on some kind of contraception that causes the cessation of menstrual periods.
I have snorted Diet Coke all over my laptop before, but your comment pretty much caused a flooding. Ow, my nose...
DentedHalo is offline  
#10 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
 
barefootpoetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishVonLiberal View Post
Oh no, clearly you should be on some kind of contraception that causes the cessation of menstrual periods.
And some people are. Which is kind of scary. I kind of LIKE the monthly reminder that my body is working in its proper feminine fashion, don't you?
barefootpoetry is offline  
#11 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 01:48 PM
 
DentedHalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post
I kind of LIKE the monthly reminder that my body is working in its proper feminine fashion, don't you?
Thank you so much for posting that. Now at least I know I'm not the only one who thinks that.
DentedHalo is offline  
#12 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 01:51 PM
 
SuperSarah11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have that show saved on my DVR and I watch it a lot! I love it! As far as the title goes what more can you expect from the network that brought you such gems as Birth Day and Deliver Me... Blech.
SuperSarah11 is offline  
#13 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 01:54 PM
 
barefootpoetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentedHalo View Post
Thank you so much for posting that. Now at least I know I'm not the only one who thinks that.
Well we are the only ones crazy enough to love our multi-functional vaginas I think....everyone else would rather they were only used for sex and NEVER for bleeding out of and CERTAINLY never for pushing babies out of. Horrors!
barefootpoetry is offline  
#14 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 02:17 PM
 
njbeachgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: by the beach!
Posts: 1,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG. Babies can come out of vaginas? Weird.

njbeachgirl is offline  
#15 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 02:18 PM
 
njbeachgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: by the beach!
Posts: 1,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post
Well we are the only ones crazy enough to love our multi-functional vaginas I think....everyone else would rather they were only used for sex and NEVER for bleeding out of and CERTAINLY never for pushing babies out of. Horrors!
Right.... just like boobs are only for wet t-shirt contests! Certainly not feeding babies!!! Horrors!!!
njbeachgirl is offline  
#16 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 02:25 PM
 
SuperSarah11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbeachgirl View Post
Right.... just like boobs are only for wet t-shirt contests! Certainly not feeding babies!!! Horrors!!!
Mine aren't just for wet t shirt contests they are also there for my husbands sexual pleasure, duh!
But of course, not for babies, that is just gross.
SuperSarah11 is offline  
#17 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
 
Jojo F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: cocka-poo-poo-pee-pee-shire
Posts: 3,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbeachgirl View Post
Right.... just like boobs are only for wet t-shirt contests! Certainly not feeding babies!!! Horrors!!!

Duh, that's what formula is for!!! How dare we actually put that white stuff coming out in our babies body!!

Ug, using our bodies for what they were made for is soooooo unusual. And the sad fact is, it is in this country. I'm not saying feminism was all bad but, I do think it took a tole on the role women play as mothers and how we view our body. Why can we never have a good balance of things? From one extreme to another.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Jojo F. is offline  
#18 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 02:35 PM
 
kalamos23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is just now on on the west coast and I'm watching and loving it - it is so refreshing to see natural birth (truly natural and not just vaginal birth) on tv - especially since I end up yelling at the tv when Deliver Me and Birth Day come on. Honestly, the Deliver Me OBs drive me nuts!

I'm saving this show on our DVR for sure.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
kalamos23 is offline  
#19 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 02:49 PM
 
thefragile7393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gahh that ceasing of periods thing scares me....now granted I know there are some medical conditions where this could merit a look, but for your average healthy woman..yikes! This is how our body CLEANS itself out.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled topic.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

thefragile7393 is offline  
#20 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 02:51 PM
 
DentedHalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I watched one of those medical delivery shows once and near damn had a panic attack. My hubby was positively shocked. He's a good 'ole Texan boy who's all about 'let nature run its course', and he couldn't quite reconcile what he was seeing. Two of his priceless comments on the show:

"It's been a while since I've had a class in physics, but do gravity laws get suspended in labor and is she really supposed to give birth to that baby upside down?"

"You know, I watched a cow give birth when I was a kid. I'm pretty damn sure that if I yelled at her like that, she'd turn and kick me straight into next week."

God, how I love him.
DentedHalo is offline  
#21 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 03:11 PM
 
SuperSarah11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am guilty of still watching all of those terrible shows. Part of me is praying for someone to make it through with a natural birth. Although it seems that even when someone does make it they all act like she's crazy, a saint, or SUPER lucky that she is alive. Also part of me has to yell at the women and Drs on TV so that I lay off all the women I know/work with who keep getting induced and *shock* ending up with c sections that they probably would have scheduled anyhow if the Drs had let them. Grr.
SuperSarah11 is offline  
#22 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 03:11 PM
 
bri276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was watching that today too but it was actually irritating me how the midwives were all about the STRICT schedule of doppler checks and constantly telling the mom what to do, where to move, how to push, etc.

I too like getting my normal natural period each month. I was on the Depo shot as a teen and I think it really screwed up my body.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
bri276 is offline  
#23 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 03:13 PM
 
ainh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there really such a thing as "unusual birth"? It is what it is! A century ago "unconventional birth" would be a c-section! The term seems like an oxy-moron to me.
ainh is offline  
#24 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 03:15 PM
 
SuperSarah11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think "unconventional" is actually a pretty accurate description of what natural/home/birth center births are these days. Sad but accurate. It would be strange if they called it "Weird Births" or something but modern convention is hospital/medicated birth.
SuperSarah11 is offline  
#25 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 03:22 PM
 
tjjazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentedHalo View Post
I'm sorry for the kookiness above. I just got off the phone with a caring friend of mine, who called me to tell me all about the immense dangers of HB, how no woman is able to deal with the pain without drugs, and how much safer a C\S is.
haha tell her not to move anywhere near where i live. there's a city near here that has ONE anesthesiologist between TWO hospitals. if you don't have a scheduled c-section (he's probably on call for emergencies too), you DO NOT get epidurals. it's just not part of the deal.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

tjjazzy is offline  
#26 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 03:32 PM
 
lwuertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentedHalo View Post
I watched one of those medical delivery shows once and near damn had a panic attack. My hubby was positively shocked. He's a good 'ole Texan boy who's all about 'let nature run its course', and he couldn't quite reconcile what he was seeing. Two of his priceless comments on the show:

"It's been a while since I've had a class in physics, but do gravity laws get suspended in labor and is she really supposed to give birth to that baby upside down?"

"You know, I watched a cow give birth when I was a kid. I'm pretty damn sure that if I yelled at her like that, she'd turn and kick me straight into next week."

God, how I love him.
OK grew up on 3 acres... and watched many animals give birth. These comments are priceless and totally how I feel. Love it!
lwuertz is offline  
#27 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 03:50 PM
 
barefootpoetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSarah11 View Post
Mine aren't just for wet t shirt contests they are also there for my husbands sexual pleasure, duh!
But of course, not for babies, that is just gross.
What do babies use them for? Pillows, maybe? I bet they would be nice and soft to lay your head on. Although not right after the birth, because they get so huge and hard for some odd reason...thank goodness THAT goes away quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
Ug, using our bodies for what they were made for is soooooo unusual. And the sad fact is, it is in this country. I'm not saying feminism was all bad but, I do think it took a tole on the role women play as mothers and how we view our body. Why can we never have a good balance of things? From one extreme to another.
I agree, and this is a huge beef of mine. Today's idea of "feminism" really has NOTHING to do with giving power to women. We are giving power to OTHER people who take over our births, our babies, our bodies, and pretty much everything else in our lives, all under the guise of "choice." If you ask me, TRUE feminism is doing all the things that make us women WITHOUT the help of any corporation that thinks they know what we should do better than we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentedHalo View Post

"You know, I watched a cow give birth when I was a kid. I'm pretty damn sure that if I yelled at her like that, she'd turn and kick me straight into next week."

God, how I love him.
:roflmao: Your husband is a trip! He's got a point though: most anybody who knows about animals knows that they need peace and solitude to give birth successfully. I've heard of situations where a birthing animal was treated like a birthing human: bright lights, lots of hustle and bustle, noise, interference...and the mothers usually either ignore their babies afterwards or kill them. WE ARE ANIMALS TOO!!! Why do we think it's perfectly normal to give birth in the polar opposite environment of what every other animal needs?
barefootpoetry is offline  
#28 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 04:30 PM
 
lwuertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post
most anybody who knows about animals knows that they need peace and solitude to give birth successfully. I've heard of situations where a birthing animal was treated like a birthing human: bright lights, lots of hustle and bustle, noise, interference...and the mothers usually either ignore their babies afterwards or kill them. WE ARE ANIMALS TOO!!! Why do we think it's perfectly normal to give birth in the polar opposite environment of what every other animal needs?
Oh yeah... most of our animals needed a dark quiet place with not a lot of people around. Our parents would let us watch for a little bit, but we had to be still and quiet. And especially in the case of our cats and dogs, if we hovered too much they'd get nervous and pick up the whole litter to move somewhere else even if they weren't finished birthing yet. They didn't really like having an audience. One time we did have a cow that gave birth during the day way out in the open and was very vocal. Turned out the calf was stillborn and it got stuck. It was like she knew she was going to need help and wanted to get out attention. Other than that all our other animals would head into the barn at night and hunker down in the corner of a stall or some place similar where you really couldn't fit a lot of people. They demanded their quiet and privacy. I don't see why a laboring woman would be any different. Why is it OK to have beeping machines, loud nurses and doctors coming in and out, intercoms and all these other interferences during our births?
lwuertz is offline  
#29 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 04:36 PM
 
SuperSarah11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
Oh yeah... most of our animals needed a dark quiet place with not a lot of people around. Our parents would let us watch for a little bit, but we had to be still and quiet. And especially in the case of our cats and dogs, if we hovered too much they'd get nervous and pick up the whole litter to move somewhere else even if they weren't finished birthing yet. They didn't really like having an audience. One time we did have a cow that gave birth during the day way out in the open and was very vocal. Turned out the calf was stillborn and it got stuck. It was like she knew she was going to need help and wanted to get out attention. Other than that all our other animals would head into the barn at night and hunker down in the corner of a stall or some place similar where you really couldn't fit a lot of people. They demanded their quiet and privacy. I don't see why a laboring woman would be any different. Why is it OK to have beeping machines, loud nurses and doctors coming in and out, intercoms and all these other interferences during our births?
Because there is nothing sacred about birth anymore in our culture. The act of childbirth has become a means to an end rather than a rite of passage or even a natural occurence. When you think of birth as a major inconvenience to be scheduled and medicated so you can just get through it and have your baby already it is easy to turn to modern technology and Drs to help you rather than to our roots as women.
SuperSarah11 is offline  
#30 of 46 Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
 
barefootpoetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSarah11 View Post
Because there is nothing sacred about birth anymore in our culture. The act of childbirth has become a means to an end rather than a rite of passage or even a natural occurence. When you think of birth as a major inconvenience to be scheduled and medicated so you can just get through it and have your baby already it is easy to turn to modern technology and Drs to help you rather than to our roots as women.
Truer words were never spoken. *sigh*
barefootpoetry is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off