Vegetarian and placenta eating - Mothering Forums
I'm Pregnant > Vegetarian and placenta eating
Amber Lion's Avatar Amber Lion 05:05 PM 06-25-2008
So this has kind of been a running joke/discussion in my house. If you're vegetarian, does eating your placenta count as eating meat? Or, since you're kind of eating yourself, does it not? Does encapsulating it change the situation?

The thought in general of consuming one's placenta does not squick me out... but then I think of myself eating my own and I get a little pale. I've never eaten meat in my entire life. But then again, it's kind of like eating myself... not another animal. Except that isn't it made of my baby's cells, so it's kind of like eating part of my baby?

:

I keep going round and round. Any veggie Mommas want to chime in? Have you eaten yours?

TIA!

lifeguard's Avatar lifeguard 05:12 PM 06-25-2008
I'm not a vegetarian but I would think that if you have chosen vegetarianism for environmental or cruelty to animal reasons that this would not fall into it at all. It's there, it's going to be disposed of otherwise & no animal was harmed in the making of it (that sounds like a warning label).
Shiloh's Avatar Shiloh 05:38 PM 06-25-2008
Meat is flesh no? I don't think a placenta is 'flesh' but it is a blood product of sorts...its not flesh but a discarded body product more like milk or chewing your finger nails or....(I don't mean to take this somewhere censorable but wouldn't there then be sexual practices .....)
delicious's Avatar delicious 05:48 PM 06-25-2008
i don't think placenta counts as meat.
baby_baby_mommy's Avatar baby_baby_mommy 05:51 PM 06-25-2008
From a vegetarian friend who did (along with her husband) eat (or attempt to) the placenta (cooked), they said it tasted VERY meaty and so was rather gross to them in a strictly taste way.

I am vegan and had mine encapsulated. Like biting your nails...only better for you
FondestBianca's Avatar FondestBianca 05:55 PM 06-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I'm not a vegetarian but I would think that if you have chosen vegetarianism for environmental or cruelty to animal reasons that this would not fall into it at all. It's there, it's going to be disposed of otherwise & no animal was harmed in the making of it (that sounds like a warning label).
agreed BUT, if part of your reasoning not to eat meat is simply because you don't agree with eating the flesh, meat, or product of an animal (in this case human) then sorry, placenta counts. But, in the same token (this is only if you intent for your baby to be vegitarian also) milk is a product of your body and although you are giving it willingly that would seem to fall almost into the same category as eating your placenta.

So if you want to look at it like this (if you plan to breastfeed), if you wouldn't deny your child your milk you should not deny yourself consuming the placenta. I'm sure your baby doesn't mind you having it. I'm personally not going to be eating my innards (because I'd probably gag at the site of it) but, the topic is still interesting to me.
hyz's Avatar hyz 07:35 PM 06-25-2008
I'm vegan and I'm considering having mine encapsulated. I don't have any ethical problem with it, but it does seem really meaty and therefore gross to me, just to eat it. I just think it depends on why you're vegetarian. For me, it's because I think it's fundamentally wrong to kill an animal for my pleasure (I don't need meat to survive/be healthy--if I did, I would eat it), and I also think the commercial dairy and egg industries are inhumane, so I'm not willing to take part in those, either. The placenta has nothing to do with any of that. As lifeguard said, no animals (or people) were harmed in the making of this placenta. lol. So if you want to do it, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't.
seashelle100's Avatar seashelle100 09:59 PM 06-25-2008
This is actually the first time I've heard of anyone eating placenta. Can someone tell me what the purpose is?
desertpenguin's Avatar desertpenguin 10:41 PM 06-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelle100 View Post
This is actually the first time I've heard of anyone eating placenta. Can someone tell me what the purpose is?
to prevent/control pp hemorrhage and PPD.
ainh's Avatar ainh 12:23 AM 06-26-2008
hmm.. what make something meat vs. animal product. i guess it depends on your reasons too. are vegan children (or adults, for that matter) not permitted to eat their boogers or scabs ? a joke. but kind of similar, don't you think?
anne1140's Avatar anne1140 12:57 AM 06-26-2008
I'm a vegetarian, and when the time comes, I plan on eating mine. The placenta has nothing to do with my reasons for being vegetarian. (I loathe factory farming/it's not necessary to kill animals for their meat/environmental reasons)
Amber Lion's Avatar Amber Lion 01:12 AM 06-26-2008
Ainh - I was actually thinking of boogers too!

I'm a veg b/c I was raised that way, but stay mostly for moral reasons. And the thought of consuming meat is just SO foreign to me. So I think if I do eat it it'd have to be encapsulated.

I like all of your reasonings though! It was just one of those "huh" subjects that I wondered if anyone else had contemplated.
barefootpoetry's Avatar barefootpoetry 03:38 AM 06-26-2008
Well, if you're vegetarian because you want to avoid exploiting animals for food, then I don't think your own placenta counts. Just like your own breastmilk doesn't count as "dairy" if you want to raise your baby vegan. Nothing is getting exploited, it's going where it's SUPPOSED to go (practically all mammals eat their placentas).
SAHDS's Avatar SAHDS 03:50 AM 06-26-2008
Well, the placenta is an organ, yes? So, it would be along the same lines of eating liver or intestines (chitterlings/chitlins)... right?
KellyKA23's Avatar KellyKA23 07:29 AM 06-26-2008
sorry this is slightly off topic, but for those planning on encapsulating your placenta, how do you plan to do it? Will you do it personally or have at done and if so by who? If there were a company that did it for me I would 100% be down for it, but my fear would be getting back someone elses... as werid as that sound swallowing someone elses placenta seems really gross... lol I am not a vegitarian and I bite my finger nails and nails skin all the time... I dont think I would have a problem eating part of myself... ( why not recycle?) but eating someone else? eww thast just gross.... lol
triana1326's Avatar triana1326 11:12 AM 06-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelle100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKA23 View Post
sorry this is slightly off topic, but for those planning on encapsulating your placenta, how do you plan to do it? Will you do it personally or have at done and if so by who? If there were a company that did it for me I would 100% be down for it, but my fear would be getting back someone elses... as werid as that sound swallowing someone elses placenta seems really gross... lol I am not a vegitarian and I bite my finger nails and nails skin all the time... I dont think I would have a problem eating part of myself... ( why not recycle?) but eating someone else? eww thast just gross.... lol
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=361394

Everything you ever wanted to know about eating placenta - and how to do it...
143Midwest's Avatar 143Midwest 02:13 PM 06-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
agreed BUT, if part of your reasoning not to eat meat is simply because you don't agree with eating the flesh, meat, or product of an animal (in this case human) then sorry, placenta counts.
Well, it's not really THAT simple. Usually you don't agree with eating flesh for some reason, such as cruelty, killing, the lack of rights given to the animal. So, even though it is technically a meat since it is coming from yourself none of the actual reasoning for giving up flesh is contradicted.
Baby_Cakes's Avatar Baby_Cakes 02:34 PM 06-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Well, the placenta is an organ, yes? So, it would be along the same lines of eating liver or intestines (chitterlings/chitlins)... right?
Right, it's an organ, but it's not the result of a slaughter. It's not an organ from an unwilling animal. It's your own organ, yours and your baby's. Ethically speaking, there is nothing cruel about consuming your own placenta.
barefootpoetry's Avatar barefootpoetry 05:21 PM 06-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Right, it's an organ, but it's not the result of a slaughter. It's not an organ from an unwilling animal. It's your own organ, yours and your baby's. Ethically speaking, there is nothing cruel about consuming your own placenta.
: That's what I was trying to say.
ann_of_loxley's Avatar ann_of_loxley 05:33 PM 06-26-2008
Well I am veggie and I plan to eat my placenta -raw!

Placenta is actually considered vegan as it is freely given.
guestmama9904's Avatar guestmama9904 09:11 PM 06-26-2008
i dont think of the placenta as meat. cows are vegetarians, herbavores at that and they eat their placentas. i think of the placenta more like an excrement but healthy for you to consume, unlike feces. and yes, many people do consume semen which has some trace minerals and hormones that can be beneficial in starting labor. and to me, breastmilk is also a human excrment, though a sacred and amazing one! i suppose there probably are some vegans who choose soy formula because it is "vegetarian" but i think this is pretty sad. we are human ANIMALS and are meant to thrive on breastmilk. and if eating your placenta will help you thrive as a human animal having a baby then thats great, its free medicine.:
Up