My body acts pregnant...the tests say otherwise! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-28-2008, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure WHERE to post this...but I was hoping that some of the other mamas on here can help me.

A little less than 2 weeks ago, I started having reaaaaally sore breasts. It started with one and then the other one started. This lasted at least 5 or 6 days. We joked around about me being pregnant because the only time my breasts have ever hurt is when I'm pregnant.

Well then, a few days later, I started producing colostrum from both breasts. A day after that, I started throwing up. (I've since vomited three times after eating-- again, something that happens to me while pregnant.) I keep getting that odd tingly breast feeling. Veins have appeared across my chest. Have had come and go constipation.

Last weekend, I had a period...but it wasn't normal. It was only two full days of very low volume and then a few days of odd spotting. During this time, I continued to produce colostrum.

I've peed on about 500 sticks. I even asked my doctor, while they were doing other tests to determine the reason for the colostrum, to do an HCG test-- I was still having the off and on unusual bleeding. They said today that my HCG was less than 1.

I just don't know what to do. What is causing this? I definitely was NOT trying to conceive...but man, I just feel pregnant. I'm telling myself that the tests say no...but my body keeps saying otherwise.

Any ideas? Any help? What could make this happen?

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 06-28-2008, 04:41 AM

did they check your prolactin levels?

are you having headaches or changes in your vision?
#3 of 15 Old 06-28-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

They checked them but the tests are slow and haven't come back yet. I've always had headaches my entire life but no changes in vision!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#4 of 15 Old 06-28-2008, 12:56 PM

Unfortunately, I think there are other causes of sore and leaking breasts besides pregnancy. I don't think you'd be leaking this early on in a pregnancy anyway.

Sounds like a hormone change from the quick Google I did. Maybe tied to changes in your thyroid. Especially since the pain is at the same time as your period and your period's lighter.
#5 of 15 Old 06-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Let me tell you about this pregnancy...I peed on a zillion sticks, all negative. Then I went to the midwife for a bloodtest and an u/s to confirm. Both came back negative. My period was late and I was having weird off and on bleeding and just this overall feeling that I was pregnant. I ended up having to go to the ER for something else (a burst ovarian cyst) but they gave me another bloodtest and another ultrasound and told me I wasn't pregnant. This is all over the span of weeks. Anyway, weeks later, I got a very faint positive test and went in to the midwife for an ultrasound because we had no idea what was going on since I was already looking big and had barely gotten a pos. As it turns out, I was pregnant the entire time (over 13 weeks by this time) and some women just don't produce a very readable type of hormone! So I say, trust your instincts and you'll just know!

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#6 of 15 Old 06-28-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
They checked them but the tests are slow and haven't come back yet. I've always had headaches my entire life but no changes in vision!
in my own personal situation, I am paranoid about a type of brain tumor called a prolactinoma, so that's the first thing that came to mind. they happen on the pituitary gland and can sometimes cause pregnancy like symptoms because they disrupt your normal hormonal production. They cause your body to produce milk when you wouldn't ordinarily be lactating.
#7 of 15 Old 06-28-2008, 03:19 PM

Is pseudocyesis worth considering?
#8 of 15 Old 06-28-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommal View Post
Is pseudocyesis worth considering?
Shouldn't think so, since the patterns on pseudocyesis follow a normal pregnancy pattern and it's not normal to produce colostrum so early on.

: that the tests come back soon and that it's something harmless and/or easy and fast to fix.
#9 of 15 Old 06-28-2008, 10:41 PM

I think I would neither assume its impossible to be pregnant or assume that you were. There are people who get pregnant and never produce a positive pregnancy test, and since this all started only a couple of weeks ago, its still possible. However, I also wouldn't assume you are, there are lots of hormonal things that can happen that can mimic pregnancy. I hope you get some answers soon, it must be a bit nervewracking!
#10 of 15 Old 06-30-2008, 03:15 AM

I am now 8 weeks preg. and at 4 weeks I was positive I was preg. because I had colostrum already.
#11 of 15 Old 07-01-2008, 04:41 PM

Ligeia, it is like you are telling parts of my pregnancy stories, lol. With DD#1 and present pregnancy, I couldn't get a pee stick to confirm. With present pregnancy, my blood tests even came back negative initially....I just had this feeling that I was pregnant. I kept pushing and low and behold, I was pregnant the whole time (a period of about 8 weeks!) lol :

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#12 of 15 Old 12-22-2008, 12:58 AM

yep, I've had colostrum leakage- just tiny drops- in VERY early pregnancy.

I do know a woman who went through 9 months of pregnancy with all the symptoms but false negative tests...finally her belly grew so much she got an ultrasound and lo and behold, there was a baby who was a beautiful healthy girl born shortly thereafter.

I don't know how you feel about ultrasounds, but personally if I were you and these symptoms continued I would get one in a few weeks if you don't have a real period.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#13 of 15 Old 12-22-2008, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My breasts would eek out a drop of liquid before my period when I was having hormone problems.

Have the DRs done a blood test?

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#14 of 15 Old 12-23-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
in my own personal situation, I am paranoid about a type of brain tumor called a prolactinoma, so that's the first thing that came to mind. they happen on the pituitary gland and can sometimes cause pregnancy like symptoms because they disrupt your normal hormonal production. They cause your body to produce milk when you wouldn't ordinarily be lactating.
I have this particular pituitary tumor and it caused me to lactate way before I was pregnant. My prolactin levels went way up and my period stopped for a year. Aside from some weight gain, I didn't have any other pregnancy symptoms. I know that sometimes larger tumors can cause headaches and vision problems. Either way, it's treatable.

I agree with everyone else that says not to make any assumptions at this point. That aside, if you are pregnant, you'll find out eventually, right? I'll send some good blessings your way.
#15 of 15 Old 01-01-2009, 05:37 PM

I just found out I have a pit tumor, LMK what happens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page