DH driving me crazy with pronunciation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-28-2008, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am from Europe. DH is from the US.
With DS's name we chose an English first name and a German middle name (after my grandpa). With DD (due in September) I wanted to reverse it and go with a German first name and an English middle name (after DH's grandma) so her name would be Annika Ruby.
This works great for my family of course who can pronounce this much easier than DS's name - Duncan.
But DH is starting to tick me off with his insistance on making it more difficult than it has to be!
Annika is pronounced AH-nee-kah. If you want to hear it, here's a link:
http://www.nordicnames.de/Aussprache.html
(He insisits that he hears the woman pronouncing it say Ae - like Anne and only I pronounce it AH.)
It's driving me crazy.
Is it REALLY that difficult?
#2 of 19 Old 06-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I hear it as "Ah" in that recording, but with a tiny bit of "Eh" as well (as in "enter"). I don't hear the short "a" as in Anne, though, at all.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#3 of 19 Old 06-28-2008, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a cousin who named her baby Annika, as her mother is Dutch, I believe, and they also pronounce it with a Ah-sound.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#4 of 19 Old 06-28-2008, 07:55 PM

not difficult...its ah...ilove the name btw
#5 of 19 Old 06-28-2008, 08:48 PM

I understand what you mean. We had to give up on the name Elijah b/c I pronounce it with a hard "j" and DH says it with a soft "j."

It bothered me so much we just eliminated it.

I know an Annika and love the name!
#6 of 19 Old 06-28-2008, 08:49 PM

Our son's name is Wolfgang (dh German, I am US) and we get all kinds of interesting pronunciations. Most people are satisfied with just calling him Wolf, which is fine with both of us, but some people use the full name and pronounce it "Wolf-GONG". I just find it amusing. Wolf couldn't care less.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#7 of 19 Old 06-28-2008, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materfamilias View Post
Our son's name is Wolfgang (dh German, I am US) and we get all kinds of interesting pronunciations. Most people are satisfied with just calling him Wolf, which is fine with both of us, but some people use the full name and pronounce it "Wolf-GONG". I just find it amusing. Wolf couldn't care less.
I am totally okay with strangers, co-workers and acquaintances pronouncing it differently!
In fact my own name is Scandinavian as well and I often introduce myself using the US/English version to people I meet. No biggie. It really only matters to me when someone really close to me doesn't put the effort into saying it right. Does that make sense?
#8 of 19 Old 06-28-2008, 09:46 PM

I would automatically pronounce it "Ah ni ka" but not "Ah nee ka" I like it either way, would never even think of pronouncing it as "Ann" But there are parts of the US where "Ah and Ae" are not well distinguished and "Mary, Marry, and Merry" are all the same word.

Quote:
I understand what you mean. We had to give up on the name Elijah b/c I pronounce it with a hard "j" and DH says it with a soft "j."
I'm just curious where you are from that you pronounce Elijah with a hard J, I've never heard it that way and didn't know some people did.
#9 of 19 Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
I'm just curious where you are from that you pronounce Elijah with a hard J, I've never heard it that way and didn't know some people did.
Just jumping in, My eldest is Elijah and everyone pronounces it with a soft J, except my Step Dad who says it with a hard J. Hes the only person Ive ever heard use the hard J, and honestly it just doesn't bother us. He also mispronounces DS2's middle name of Cian to sound like sea-ann, but I digress.

I love the name Annika, I would say Ah-ni-ka, beautiful!
#10 of 19 Old 06-29-2008, 02:18 AM

I've always heard it pronounced AH-nick-uh or AH-nick-ah. Never heard it with the "knee" second syllable.
#11 of 19 Old 06-29-2008, 08:14 AM

I think if it's driving you too nuts you might have to nix it. I personally would pronoune it Ann-icka unless I heard someone pronounce it differently. I like it better with the proper German pronunciation, though.

My dh pronounces Quentin's name as Quintin much of the time and it drives me nuts, too. I find myself correcting him sometimes.
#12 of 19 Old 06-29-2008, 09:04 AM

I know how you feel. We are also a European/American couple and it is sooooo hard to come up with names that are pronounced the same in both languages...but for us it is especially difficult with boys names! I'm due in a few weeks and we're looking at one syllable names now just to simplify! Good luck!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#13 of 19 Old 06-29-2008, 09:06 AM

I can only hear the ah pronounciation, get him a cd with the name said over and over and make him practice ! LOL
#14 of 19 Old 06-29-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca333 View Post
I can only hear the ah pronounciation, get him a cd with the name said over and over and make him practice ! LOL
Good idea. I found out there's a Star Trek character named Annika Hansen. He loves to watch Star Trek and stuff like that. Maybe I will have to look for an episode where she appears a whole lot and gift him that!

calynde,
it actually was easy on the boy's name! DS' middle name is Johann and DH says it perfectly! Maybe we should call DD Johanna ...
#15 of 19 Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 AM

I love the name Annika! It was one of the top on my current baby name list! But sadly my hubby just does not think that it is "the" name. Anyway we pronounced it just like you. But that may be because I also know a few Annika's from my European travels (and my husband is from England).

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#16 of 19 Old 06-29-2008, 11:21 AM

A former client had a daughter named Annika, pronounced Ah-nick-a, so that's how I would pronounce it unless told otherwise (but honestly, now days people make up their own pronunciations - and names - so I don't think there is really a WRONG way to say it....)

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#17 of 19 Old 06-29-2008, 12:44 PM

I'm married to a midwesterner and sometimes the way he perceives and pronounces things can drive me crazy! I know, though, that he can't help it. Yup, it really *is* that hard for your husband to hear the difference between the ah and ae sounds. Some of it is probably due to what he heard when he was an infant, and some of it is probably his own individual ability or lack thereof to hear things. As babies, we lose the ability to distinguish between sounds that don't matter in our own language/dialect. Some of us are more sensitive to hearing those differences later, but some people can never hear it, no matter how much we explain it to them!

Can you live with him saying ANN-i-kuh?

FWIW, I would pronounce it AH-nih-kuh, like so many of the other Americans on this thread. Most of the American children I've met with the name pronounced it that way. The "nee" pronunciation is more European. Very pretty name, I hope you guys can resolve this!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#18 of 19 Old 06-29-2008, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

It's really only the first syllable I am picky about! nik-kuh works for me.
I think you are right because he also says 'Italian' with an eye instead of an ee like eye-talian!

Oh well. While she's little we can call her Nikki. That will be easier for my 2-year old too. And then we have a few years to perfect the Ah on Annika! My name has an 'ah' in it as well and DH manages to say it right (with a very cute accent) so I am sure he can get there...
#19 of 19 Old 06-29-2008, 01:36 PM

Ahhh. Eye-talian sounds like maybe you're dealing with a Texas/southern accent...? As the US part of our couple I don't have that particular linguistic issue -- I come from Nor Calif, where people seem to have no accent at all!
My students do laugh at the way I say "both" for some reason, though...

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page