Recommend your Nipple Cream for breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2008, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I am new and expecting my first in a couple of weeks. I would like to be prepared with nipple cream as I intend to breastfeed. Should I use plain coconut oil? Or is there something better?

Any advice about nipple cream and baby's bottom ointment would be appreciated!

I don't like to use any chemicals so organic and natural products are the only option.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 02:38 AM

Lanolin is what I use.

Do you consider that a chemical?
Old 07-03-2008, 04:15 AM

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=351606

Her nipple and diaper balms are amazing.... and organic.

11/06 and 1/09 :
Old 07-03-2008, 06:42 PM

with my first i used shea butter, but with this one i plan to use my organic coconut oil and coconut butter that i have for cooking. i've been using the oil as a moisturizer for my belly, and LOVE it!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Honestly, I found that rubbing a bit of expresed milk on my nipples and letting them air-dry worked better than anything else, including lanolin.

SAHM to DD (8/2006) and DS (7/2008)
Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 PM

I never used any kind of cream, oil or anything like that. Breastmilk is great for cracked or sore nipples and letting them air dry. I think many products can do more harm than good.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 PM

Expressed breastmilk is the best thing for your nipples. You don't need to do anything now to prepare them. If your nipples are cracked once baby starts nursing, a good thing to use is a saline soak: put some table salt in the bottom of a small glass, add very warm water and put the glasse up to your nipples. Hold there until the water cools. Do this 4-5 times per day for 48 hours.

As for diaper balm, I swear by Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm. It's vegan and organic and wonderful. You can get it at the Earth Mama Angel Baby site, but I find it cheaper at mothernature.com
Old 07-04-2008, 01:12 AM

Salt water on sore nipples ouch.....i've never heard of that. Best true fire way to help heal those nipples if they happen to crack..in which they shouldnt is expressed colustrum/breast milk. Also squirt some breastmilk on babies bottom and it will heal right up. DS is 3 and we still use breastmilk on his ouchies and actually anyone else in the house who has a ouch. Even DH...lol

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Old 07-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Earth Mama*Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter. http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/or...le_butter.html I loved this stuff after DS was born. I had cracked nipples and it really helped out a lot.

I second the Earth Mama*Angel Baby bottom balm. DS had thrush on his bottom when he was two weeks old. We tried everything to get it to clear up and the bottom balm was the only thing that worked for us!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:32 AM

I second rubbing breast milk on sore nipples. If that doesn't work, coconut oil is pretty good in my experience.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:45 AM

Shea Butter!

It works wonderfully on the nipples and is the only think that will clear my son's diaper rashes. I also always used breast milk on my nipples. It is the best too becuase it is always there. Just express a bit and rub on!

Wife to my wonderful husband, Mommy to Aiden and Charlie, Audrey and baby Kate.
::

Old 07-06-2008, 03:47 PM

Another vote for Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter (and the bottom balm of course!!).

I'm sorry, but I can't just walk around w/my jugs hanging out all day so I don't always get a chance to air dry or express bm on them! Esp w/other kiddos underfoot. I would honestly recommend against lanolin or lansinoh. I had serious issues with it and ended up getting thrush. That's just a personal experience though. I found it did NOTHING for the soreness.

I cannot say enough good things about EMAB though!! I love their products!! :GL!!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:20 PM

"I would honestly recommend against lanolin or lansinoh. I had serious issues with it and ended up getting thrush. " (huskermommy)

I used Lansinoh and had quite a battle with thrush with my son. I never thought that there might be a connection there. I am wondering what the connection might be?????? Seeing as how baby number 2 is due in 4 days! Now I think I might try something else.

Wife to my wonderful husband, Mommy to Aiden and Charlie, Audrey and baby Kate.
::

Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 PM

I'm not sure! But since then I just never used it! A gf of mine had the same thing happen and someone (can't remember if it was a LC or what) told her something like it "seals" the yeast in or something? I can't remember for sure... I'll have to ask her about it though!

I never had any problems w/the nipple butter, I really really really suggest you try it!

Tabitha, married to my best friend Steven - Mama to 6 little ones and another on the way!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 PM

I bought this one. I haven't used it yet, but I really like a lot of their other products.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 AM

Plain lanolin is what I used then I used it for my wool diaper covers ( hate to waste anything LOL)

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 PM

Another vote for EarthMamaAngelBaby Nipple butter. It helped heal my nipples after thrush (and I used lanolin, hmmmm.....). Really GOOD stuff!
Old 07-08-2008, 04:58 AM

I used expressed breastmilk when I had the luxury of air-drying. But most of the time I just used lanolin. The silly thing is, when I first started having cracked nipples, I didn't use enough lanolin -- so it just sort of served to stick my nipples to my breastpads. Ouch. So do remember to apply very generous amounts of lanolin!
Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM

I may have to give the EMAB a try! I'm not due until September, but I've been using the Lansinoh to "prepare" or BFing.

Thanks for this thread!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 PM

I've been using my Burt's Bees Mama Bee belly butter on my breasts and nipples, as well as my belly.

I remember Lansinoh hurt to try to spread around when my nips were sore, and it did contribute to thrush I'm sure.

I just found L'Occitane stuff @ sephora, and they have a mama and baby balm, which I tested (on my hand!) in the store. Can I just say, I've found my new nipple cream!!!! It has no smell, or taste!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt

Tags
Earth Mama Angel Baby Organics , Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter 2 Fl Oz 60 Ml , Earth Mama Body Butter 4oz
User Tag List