Mowing Lawn While Pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. It's another 2 weeks before I see my midwife again, and DH and I aren't sure, but our lawn needs mowed and DH works until it's too dark. Would it be a bad idea to mow the lawn? I'm 16 weeks pregnant.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#2 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 12:58 PM

My guess is as long as you don't overdo it and don't overheat... do a little at a time if that's what it takes. That's what my dr said about all other forms of exercise.

If you have to do a lot of pushing to get the mower around, maybe not a good idea. Is there a neighbor's kid you can hire?
#3 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 01:26 PM

I think it's probably okay--take breaks often and drink plenty of water....and don't bag the clippings.
#4 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 01:50 PM

bmcneal, I took note of your location - I live in West TN, too- our weather is going to be relatively mild (which means still hot as heck) but also overcast for the next few days. It might rain.

I guess you should be okay AS LONG AS YOU DRINK LOTS OF WATER and DON'T GET OVERHEATED. Try doing it early in the morning or later in the evening. PPs' advice is good advice.

I agree that it may be a good idea to hire a neighbor's kid, just to be safe. I don't even think about mowing the lawn, to be honest. It's been a bit high a few times during my pregnancy so far, but not too bad.
#5 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 02:35 PM

I mowed the lawn (riding lawn mower) and even went up on the roof and cleaned the gutters when I was 23 weeks pregnant with #1. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but do whatever you're comfortable with. I would suggest wearing one of those Camelbacks so you don't get dehydrated, and take as many breaks as you need.
#6 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 02:41 PM

At nearly 19 weeks I still mow the lawn. Very carefully, not getting too tired or overheated, and not bagging the clippings.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#7 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 02:58 PM

I don't have a lawn to mow but I've done comparable stuff. In my first pregnancy I remember being afraid to do anything; lift anything heavier than a jug of milk, move the loveseat to vacuum, heft laundry around the house, etc. This time, with a 3 year old, I'm doing all that and more.
#8 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 05:22 PM

I'm not one who thinks pregnant women are particularly fragile. In fact, I get offended when people treat me like I'm handicapped just because I'm gestating. I think you should listen to your body.
#9 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 06:15 PM

I agree, as long as you listen to your body, take breaks and drink enough, you should be fine.

I've been mowing our lawn with a push mower since shortly after I found out I was pg (I'm 17 wks tomorrow), and I'm still doing it, just needing to take more breaks
#10 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 06:25 PM

I was 17 weeks yesterday, the only reprieve I've gotten from mowing the yard was during the bout of pneumonia 2 weeks ago. And then my husband only mowed the front yard, leaving the back a jungle to contend with when I recovered.
#11 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can guarantee if we were living back home right now I would be mowing the lawn-it would probably just take me longer -lol.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#12 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
I was 17 weeks yesterday, the only reprieve I've gotten from mowing the yard was during the bout of pneumonia 2 weeks ago. And then my husband only mowed the front yard, leaving the back a jungle to contend with when I recovered.
:My dh would SOOO do that!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#13 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 08:30 PM

Whenever I tell my DH the lawn needs mowed and that I'm going to do it, he gets really mad and says, "You are NOT mowing the lawn." Needless to say, I love being pregnant right now!

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#14 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 08:37 PM

I mowed the lawn at 24 weeks prego's...people would drive by and jsut look at me like i was so crazy. I did it close to dawn...so i'm mowing and one of my best friends happens to drive by while i'm out there with my big belly pushing the lawn mower and stops her car give me the hardest time....girl..what are you doing out here as hot as it is. Needless to say i did need to take breaks and drink water often. Not sure if i could still mow...i'm 29 weeks...i think i'm pushing it really close if i tried now.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#15 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
Whenever I tell my DH the lawn needs mowed and that I'm going to do it, he gets really mad and says, "You are NOT mowing the lawn."
My husband would say "there's nothing wrong with you, you're just pregnant." (He only says it because he knows I agree with the sentiment.)
#16 of 26 Old 07-03-2008, 09:53 PM

I mow the lawn until I'm in labor. My DH will usually come out and empty the bag for me b/c it's not good to leave the clippings on the lawn all the time.

IMO, it's really not the work that would be any cause for concern, it's the decibel level of the lawn mower. I'd say mow for 20 min. take a break and finish the rest off.
#17 of 26 Old 07-04-2008, 01:17 AM

definitely mowed the lawn well into 3rd trimester and probably within days of giving birth.
#18 of 26 Old 07-04-2008, 01:43 AM

Someone mentioned a riding mower? I've wondered about it. I actually love to mow the lawn but I wonder if the riding mower is too loud or causes too many vibrations?
#19 of 26 Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 AM

I did it a few times while pg, mainly to make a point to DH that he should do it, but then it turned out that it made me feel strong and I got major bragging rights to those women who wimp out of everything w/ the pg excuse. We are stronger than we think!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#20 of 26 Old 07-04-2008, 03:00 PM
luv

I mowed our lawn right into the 9th month. I had a break in the 8th month though as my brother stayed with us a couple weeks and his 'rent' was yard work

Just listen to your body. I would end up mowing in four segments, coming in and drinking a bottle of water and resting between each one.

ETA - if you're neg for .. toxo-something.. (what was it?) where you're not supposed to deal with dirt ect (like me) I would just wear gloves and wash your hands well after.
#21 of 26 Old 07-04-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
Someone mentioned a riding mower? I've wondered about it. I actually love to mow the lawn but I wonder if the riding mower is too loud or causes too many vibrations?
I have mowed with the rider through all of my pregnancies. I think I mowed within a couple days of delivering my last one. No problems at all. I actually find it relaxing. I have my cup holder with a cold bottle of water and I am good to go.
#22 of 26 Old 07-04-2008, 05:35 PM

I mowed our lawn until 35 weeks prego. It drove my husband nuts but I enjoyed it.
#23 of 26 Old 07-04-2008, 10:56 PM

Besides it being a good exercise, I think I read somewhere that if you are close/past term than doing strenuous yard work can send you into labor! Something about mowing, weeding, and digging seems like it might be a good labor induction...someone try it and tell us if it works!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#24 of 26 Old 07-05-2008, 01:46 AM

I am still mowing 33 weeks and going. My husband tried to stop my the last three weeks in a row, but it is a mental battle for me. I am also still running and working out every day. DH tries to finish mowing when he is finished weed eating but I tell him, "You are not going to be able to help me push this baby out and you are not helping me finish this lawn." I feel like it is making me mentaly stronger in my will power. First baby and doing birthing center so I need stamina.

Good luck and keep up the good work
#25 of 26 Old 07-05-2008, 03:23 AM

I'm 39 weeks and have been mowing the lawn my whole pregnancy and actually just did yesterday. My DH works out of town so if I don't do it then it doesn't get done

S Momma to:8:5:4:1.5 and: May 29 2010 loving wife to C:
:::: ::: formally mom_2_3_girls
#26 of 26 Old 07-05-2008, 11:07 AM

I'm 37 weeks and still mow both front and back lawns, do the hedge trimming when needed, tend to my flowers and other gardening. No reason not to.

I make sure to stay hydrated, but you should do that pregnant or not, so other than the fact that my stomach gets in the way of the big weed whacker I still do all the same stuff. Some days it just takes me longer.

~heather

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page