Irritable uterus & bedrest- give it to me straight! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2008, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long story short food poisioning=severe dehydration= trip to L&D (ER wouldn't take me). I'm 33 wks 2 days and dialated to 2 cm 50% effaced- checked b/c having regular ctx 2-3 min apart. Went back today no change in cervix and ctx still 2-3 min apart. This is *normal* for me. I got a preterm labor warning w/both my boys b/c of all the early and regular ctx that I had (with them 4-6 min apart when I was monitored). Well the MW said modified bedrest for next 2.5 wks. I have a 20 mo old and 3.5 y/o so difficult to say the least...... my honest feeling is that it's overly precautious b/c I know my body just likes to contract! The boys were born at 41 and 37.5 wks. Am I going to be a big dork for not laying down all day? I've had regular ctx this pregnancy from 28 wks (3 times so bad I wasn't sure whether I was actually in early labor or just my 'routine' ctx). Does bedrest really do anything? I contract no matter what I do- it just hurts more when I lay down and do nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 AM

One of the most important things is drink drink drink water. Once your uterus gets irritable...its not likely to get unirritable.

As to whether or not you should rest...coming from a future respiratory therapist, do whatever you can to rest for the next couple weeks. Beg family members to come over and help, friends, neighbors, whoever.

You *might* be fine if you don't. But the babe might come and need to be in the NICU for several weeks (which will be harder than bedrest because of your other little ones!).

It's only 2.5 weeks out of the rest of your life. With my DD I did 11 weeks. It was awful, but soooo worth it!

Hugs and prayers!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 AM

I too was put on bed rest with my second son. It sucked!! I think that 33 weeks is to early to have a baby and you need to call in some help. It's better to be safe then sorry. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:12 AM

I too had lots of ctx with my last pg and they assumed it was preterm labor and admitted me and gave me meds etc. Long story short one of the MWs finally agreed with me that some women are contracters and some are laborers and all my ctx weren't doing anything. This time around I decided not to worry about all the ctx and my MW agreed. Stay hydrated and rest as you are able. I think you will know when trouble looms and perhaps should follow up more closely for checks.

Nurse and mother to two beautiful boys, William 06/07/06, George 08/27/08, and our newest addition John Bear, born 9/20/10! Married to my lovely dh for 10 years on 06/04/10!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochanyk View Post
...modified bedrest for next 2.5 wks. I have a 20 mo old and 3.5 y/o so difficult to say the least...... my honest feeling is that it's overly precautious b/c I know my body just likes to contract!

.....Does bedrest really do anything? I contract no matter what I do- it just hurts more when I lay down and do nothing.
I am in a similar boat! I would lay down more if I could, but my 2y/o won't let me for very long. This is my second pregnancy that is trending towards a very early delivery, but at least this time I *know* I have a contracty body and an angry uterus in advance

For our modified bedrest, the big change we've had to make is to drop my habit of taking him out to do things and instead remaining homebound. We used to go to the park, the playground, the mall (walk + playground), the pool, out to lunch, visit friends, etc.

Instead we stay home most of the day, play with the toys we've got and watch some tv or a movie. We'll go to the occasional drive-thru for a treat, and the grocery store for a short outing but that's about it. Night and day difference in the amount of physical effort I'm putting forth, and without having to stay in bed all day. The results have been good for me, my cervix was unchanged for 6wks.

DH takes the toddler out in the evenings and weekends to give me a break and let him get physical and run around. I shudder to think what life would be like if he couldn't be a kid and run off some steam for at least part of the day. I wish I could do more, but at least staying at home compared to going out and about has really helped me in my case. I hope you make it just as long with this one as you did your others!! :
Old 07-08-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much ladies! I called today and cancelled our playdates for the next 3 wks. My mom flew down here today to help me with the kiddos so I can sit down (um 2 hrs today but tomorrow will be more! big change from usual 20 min!). I really want to make it to 37 wks at least so baby's lungs will be mature and we can do a birthcenter vs hospital birth. I lost more plug today though not sure what to think of that. I was good on hydration yesterday and have been drinking again like crazy. I'm also spilling protein which is a first for me (BP is normal but no infection although I've had pyleo in the past so I'm concerned). Just another 3-4 wks is all I need!!!

MissBliss best of luck to you! I'm not glad you're in the same position, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one

User Tag List