I have placenta previa. What do I do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 20 weeks. The tech just wrote previa so the doc isn't sure if its full, partial or marginal. She assumed full. I have a u/s AGAIN in 4 weeks. I'm so upset. I had a c section last time so I guess that increases the risk. I JUST want a normal, vaginal, unmedicated birth. I want a healthy baby. This isn't fair. Is there ANYTHING at all I can do? Herbs, excercises? I was so trying to do everything right this pregnancy (diet, herbal support, exercise, prenatal, etc) and it feels like its all for nothing. I feel so defeated. I know I have a chance that it'll improve and migrate north, but if it doesn't..... Help.
#2 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 06:31 PM

There isn't anything you can do, but chances are, if it's not a full previa (and who knows from what the tech wrote), it will move. Mine did last time, as did every other person's I've known.

Yes, it increases your risks of bleeding and separation of the placenta (abruption), but they aren't' that likely. Just don't over-do exercise (like get obsessive about it) or activity--give yourself lots of chance to rest and relax. And mostly focus on everything that's going well in this pregnancy and let the rest go.

I don't want another c-section either, so I feel you there, but there is a reason for everything (even a full previa). If it doesn't move, it doesn't move, and you'll deal with it then. It would be a planned c-section, and you'd get to make some choices, be awake for surgery, see and hold baby right away, and participate a lot more than you probably did the first time. You can do this!!! I have to tell myself the same things every day--I desperately do not want another c-section, but sometimes there really are a few things that we can't help. Keep doing what you are doing to take care of you and baby--that's all that you can do, and it is helping you and baby even if your placenta is in the wrong place.

Hugs and hths

mrsfru
#3 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 07:42 PM

i have read that there is a homeopathic remedy you can take that will help encourage the placenta to move. i don't recall what it is, but i would consult with a homeopath and find out.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#4 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 10:00 PM

My midwife just told me at my last appointment (28 weeks) that I had a "low-lying" placenta at the time of my last ultrasound (at 18 weeks). I guess she hadn't told me that at the time to keep me from worrying. I don't know if low-lying and previa (from all my research they seem to be, and I think she used the term "low-lying" because previa sounds scary) are the same, but she didn't seem to think it was a big deal and said that generally it gets pulled up as the uterus grows. I am having another ultrasound because of it next week, but she kind of gave me a choice and said some practitioners assume it moves up on it's own. So...perhaps there really is nothing to worry about?

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#5 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 AM

I was told I have marginal previa at 17 weeks - the doc wants another u/s at 24 weeks: he wants me to wait as long as possible so I can get more information at the u/s on the baby-organs, since I didn't want another u/s AT ALL, he wants to make it really "count" for the most it can. he said he's 99% positive it will migrate and not be a problem in the end. hb midwife is not concerned at all. but it does make me nervous, and I'm a little upset that I "know" it now. All the stuff I've read makes it sound like marginal previa is extremely common. If you get an early u/s, you are more likely to see it and then worry while it resolves itself - but women who don't get that early u/s never have the anxiety, but the results are the same. Sorry if I'm not making sense. I'm tired, and I need to pee again

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#6 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 01:56 AM

There is a 95% chance your placenta will move up. If you have had no bleeding prior to this, things are going great. If you experience bleeding, however, you should go to the ER immediately.

Having said that, I will also say that 4 weeks for the follow-up ultrasound may not be enough time. I had "low-lying placenta" (same as placenta previa, just not as scary-sounding) with DS#2, and the u/s tech tried to scare me and say that I would have to be on bed rest and pelvic rest, that I needed to talk to my doctor ASAP, etc. My midwife was totally cool as a cucumber and didn't want a follow-up u/s until 34 weeks. Sure enough, the placenta was well away from the cervical os by then.

Don't stress. Really. 95% chance it will move up.
#7 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 AM

It's crappy of them to "diagnose" previa at 20 w, frankly. Why do they insist on stressing women unnecessarily over something that is so common and will most likely resolve? Aaaarg!
#8 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 12:37 PM

oh honey...i feel your stress...im 24 weeks and have beendiagnosed with a complete previa since 19 weeks. mine hasnt budged an inch yet in the last 5 weeks. on my u/s you can clearly see my giant U shaped placenta with my cervix at the very bottom center of it. doesnt look like im gonna be one of the lucky 95% and will have to resort to a repeat section...(btw im a cayden's mom too =) )
i was just coming here to post for some good placenta moving vibes but it sounds like we could all use some.

my biggest concerns are the bleeding possibilities that increase heading into the third trimester, possible abruption and the risk of the placenta accreta (where it grows into the uterine wall at the previous section site). worst case scenario (most likely not to happen) is the chance of hysterectomy at birth due to an accreta that wont let the placenta turn loose and they have to take everything. i agree...its aweful to stress a pregnant mama with all this info but im greatful to be able to prepare myself this time around for what to expect whereas last time, i wasnt prepared for anything csection-wise because i just KNEW i was gonna have a natural birth.

*sigh*
#9 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I was so trying to do everything right this pregnancy (diet, herbal support, exercise, prenatal, etc) and it feels like its all for nothing. I feel so defeated.
It's nothing you did. It just has to do with where the egg happened to implant, and where the baby happened to start growing.

I know it sucks, though. I had an early ultrasound for dating and was diagnosed with partial previa, so I'm on pelvic rest for a while. I'm also hoping it will move as my uterus grows, because I don't want a c-section, either.

DH tells me that the placenta is low-lying because the sperm caught the egg on the way out the door.

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
#10 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 01:29 PM

sorry mama, it stinks to get that news. but there is truth to what everyone else has said... the odds are in your favor! there is a really, really good chance your placenta will move up... so don't throw in the towel for your birth plan yet.

i have placenta previa (complete) as well. had it last pregnancy too. i know how you feel.
#11 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairinargentina View Post
sorry mama, it stinks to get that news. but there is truth to what everyone else has said... the odds are in your favor! there is a really, really good chance your placenta will move up... so don't throw in the towel for your birth plan yet.

i have placenta previa (complete) as well. had it last pregnancy too. i know how you feel.

did your previa move out of the way for birth or did you end up with a section? are you planning another section or just taking the wait and see where it goes approach?

im also on pelvic lockdown, no exercise, no vacuuming, no going for long walks, basically anything that irritates me and causes BH or any pain of any kind is off limits. my BH are thinning my cervix and with the complete previa the doc is quite concerned. i think they are trying to get me to behave myself and not overdo it with my 3 year old so they wont have to put me on bedrest.

just wanted to add that the reason im going ahead with a repeat section (even if placenta does move) is that my baby is being watched for a congenital heart block (weekly u/s to check heart valves). IF anything questionable does happen to appear (which as of now it hasnt), the baby doesnt need the stress of labor and vaginal delivery. trust me...after all the crap im dealing with this pregnancy, im getting myself fixed. lol
#12 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlintxmomma View Post
did your previa move out of the way for birth or did you end up with a section? are you planning another section or just taking the wait and see where it goes approach?

im also on pelvic lockdown, no exercise, no vacuuming, no going for long walks, basically anything that irritates me and causes BH or any pain of any kind is off limits. my BH are thinning my cervix and with the complete previa the doc is quite concerned. i think they are trying to get me to behave myself and not overdo it with my 3 year old so they wont have to put me on bedrest.

just wanted to add that the reason im going ahead with a repeat section (even if placenta does move) is that my baby is being watched for a congenital heart block (weekly u/s to check heart valves). IF anything questionable does happen to appear (which as of now it hasnt), the baby doesnt need the stress of labor and vaginal delivery. trust me...after all the crap im dealing with this pregnancy, im getting myself fixed. lol
#13 of 18 Old 07-19-2008, 06:56 PM
poe

A "low-lying" placenta is not the same as a previa of any sort. A low-lying placenta is one that is located within approximately 2 cm of the cervical opening.

A marginal previa is one that is less than 2 cm from the cervical opening (usually just adjacent to) but not covering the cervix. A partial previa may cover just a portion of the cervix. A complete previa is one that entirely covers the cervical opening and if it persists, would necessitate a cesaerian delivery. Many previas diagnosed in the first or second trimesters migrate up and out of the way before delivery, but it's probably a good idea to have a follow-up u/s in the third trimester just to be sure.

Since you're only 20 weeks now, there's a good chance it will move up and be just fine. Best of luck for a happy, unmedicated vaginal delivery!
#14 of 18 Old 07-19-2008, 11:50 PM

You have lots of time for it to move up-think positive!
I had the same diagnosis at 20 weeks, and when I went for my 30 week u/s, it was fine...I'll be hoping the same for you!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#15 of 18 Old 08-03-2008, 11:25 PM

Please take it very easy. Yes there is plenty of time for it to move up,I wish you the very best of luck! Be sure to go straight to the ER without hesitation at the first signs of any bleeding. I had PP w/ my 4th baby,and although mine wasn't complete,(was 1.8 cm from the cervix) I still had a placental abruption.
#16 of 18 Old 08-04-2008, 12:48 AM

I also have a low-lying" placenta, I found out at the 15 week u/s b/c I was having some spotting after having sex with DH and we wanted to check things out. I have a repeat u/s at 20 or so weeks they are also doing the big u/s to check on the baby's growth and other measurements. I am freaked out b/c I have never had a c/s I had all 3 of my other kids vaginally.

Kari Mom to 4 boys Justin, Nathan, Tyler & Brian
#17 of 18 Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 AM

i was diagnosed with partial at 24 wks. i'm hoping he'll wait to recheck location at 34-36 wks.

if it's not complete, chances are it will move. i'm remain hopeful for us
#18 of 18 Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 PM

Of my moms total 5 pregnancies, 3 of them were complete previas that moved by the 30th week. I wouldn't worry.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page