Sharp pain in lower right abdomen: should I be concerned? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-28-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a very sharp stabbing pain in my lower right abdomen in the middle of the night last week, it woke me up from a deep sleep and was very painful for about 30 seconds - 1 minute. It subsided and I went back to sleep and didn't think too much of it. But it happened again today when I was napping, in the same place. I phoned my midwives' office and they said to go to my GP to be checked over just to be safe but I couldn't get an appointment at such late notice. Should I be concerned and try to get it checked tomorrow, even if I don't have any more of the pains, or just chalk it up to a harmless pregnancy ache or pain?

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#2 of 10 Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Let me tell you about my pain...see if this is the same feelings or not.

I have a very sharp pain, almost in waves for most of the day on my right side down in the corner pocket. It runs all the way down to my toe sometimes and around to my back...hurts down into my bone down where my Labia are...feels like I'm about to start my period.

I call my MW and she says that it's the baby laying/playing with my nerve. I'm going to a chiro tomorrow to see if they can somehow straighten it out.

Maybe your babe is playing with your nerves?
#3 of 10 Old 07-28-2008, 03:53 PM

It sounds like round ligament pain and it is not too much to worry about. I'm suprised your midwife did not bring it up. I had the same thing in my 2nd trimester. It did not last.
#4 of 10 Old 07-28-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferadurham View Post
Let me tell you about my pain...see if this is the same feelings or not.

I have a very sharp pain, almost in waves for most of the day on my right side down in the corner pocket. It runs all the way down to my toe sometimes and around to my back...hurts down into my bone down where my Labia are...feels like I'm about to start my period.

I call my MW and she says that it's the baby laying/playing with my nerve. I'm going to a chiro tomorrow to see if they can somehow straighten it out.

Maybe your babe is playing with your nerves?
See, it's not really like that. It doesn't radiate down to other areas like when baby hits a nerve like I've experienced before. It's very localized and very sharp but doesn't have that 'jolt' feeling of a trapped nerve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
It sounds like round ligament pain and it is not too much to worry about. I'm suprised your midwife did not bring it up. I had the same thing in my 2nd trimester. It did not last.
I thought RLP at first too but again, had not had it be so sudden and severe and on only one side before. That's probably the most likely explanation though.

Thank you both!

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#5 of 10 Old 07-28-2008, 08:09 PM

RL pains for me are always on one side, and they are so sharp and stabbing they can literally take my breath away. Like yours, they only last for 30 seconds, but it's a long 30 seconds.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 10 Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 PM

My RLP was similar to the prior posters' -- sudden, sharp, stabbing, breathtaking.

LOW right abdominal pain, that's what I would think it's likely to be. HIGH right abdominal pain would be an entirely different kettle of fish and would require a doctor visit! So at least it's not your liver hurting
#7 of 10 Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 PM

Could it be gas? I've found sometimes I get gas that is more painful than anything I've experienced! It feels like a sharp shooting pain in one location (lower abdomen). I've woken up several times a night if I'm not careful about what I eat

#8 of 10 Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Are you going in to see someone today? I had the shooting pain again last night and I've determined it's not gas. Best I can tell it happens when I flop onto my back at night. I feel so terrible that I've been cutting off blood to the baby! But I felt movement yesterday and I have an ultrasound tomorrow so I'm not going to worry too much. I think I need to buy a pregnancy pillow.

Let me know what you find out!

#9 of 10 Old 07-29-2008, 11:10 AM

Sometimes my RL pain is like that - this pregnancy, it's usually on the lower left side, but it's a similar sort of sharp, stabbing pain.
#10 of 10 Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 PM

I had a very similar pain on my right side and my midwife said it was probably my gall bladder being extra-sensitive because of pregnancy. She said to notice what I had eaten shortly before it happened and try cutting out foods dense in fats- even healthy fats. Sure enough every time I got it was after eating full-fat yogurt as a snack or avocado. So now I just eat less of that stuff all at once, and switched to low fat yogurt. I haven't had it in over a month. Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page