How Unsafe Are Paint Fumes?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-30-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm feeling kind of stuck. We're trying to get the house finished before the baby comes, and I'm the only one who can do it. Most of the work is painting, and the paint we have (we bought it before the pg) is pretty smelly. I painted 1 room during my 1st tri and did a ceiling yesterday. I'm normally really careful with these types of things, pg or not, but its got to get done. Its so dang hot and humid I can't even open the windows. Anyone know of the actual dangers of the fumes?

OT: Since I painted in my first tri I now get m/s symptoms all over again since I associate the smell with the nausea I felt when I did the painting. Eww.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#2 of 11 Old 07-30-2008, 06:23 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you. However, I am in the same predicament and am very curious to see other's input on this topic!
#3 of 11 Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 PM

Hi Holly--We're in the same boat with trying to finish painting our house before the baby comes. I got a respirator to wear when I'm painting, and that has made me feel a lot better. It is a plastic mask with cartridges on both sides, and it protects from lead paint, paint fumes, any kind of organic vapors. It definitely makes me feel better to be wearing it!
#4 of 11 Old 07-31-2008, 12:08 AM

i had the same question and looked this up last week. dr sears says that regular latex paint is no danger to mother or baby. i trust him completely so i felt okay painting the spare room (hopefully will be nursery) last week. good luck to you.

Mama to 3 boys 

#5 of 11 Old 07-31-2008, 12:13 AM

Secondhand advice....but a friend who is a painter said it's safe and that his wife painted the nursery during her pregnancy.

Apparently it is the oil-based paint that can be harmful.

I had the same question because we are finishing the nursery and I wanted to paint all the furniture. Fortunately my brother volunteered though!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#6 of 11 Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 AM

Get a respirator. A GOOD one. rated N95 or N99.

There are inherent toxic effects from paint fumes - although, I guess it depends on how sensitive you are. I personally have developed an extreme allergy to paint and can only paint with zero-VOC paint now. I'm painting my entire 2400 sf house while pregnant because we're going to sell in early spring (due in December, I need to be finished mid-november).

good luck

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#7 of 11 Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 AM

We painted our kids rooms when I was pregnant, but we did use the zero-voc latex paints. If you have a choice, these are so much better. They hardly smell at all. I get a terrible headache from painting with normal latex paint, but with the zero-voc paint I'm fine. And the rooms smell fresh and non-painty as soon as the paint is dry.
#8 of 11 Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 AM

I bought the Shewin Williams Harmony zero-voc paint off the recommendations of some posters here from a similar thread I posted earlier in the week. I have painted a room yesterday, and had my book club over here last night--they didn't believe me when I said I had been painting that same day because they couldn't smell ANYTHING!

That being said, if you already bought all the paint and just don't want to make the investment, I would agree to use a respirator, or just lots of common sense measures like you are already.
#9 of 11 Old 07-31-2008, 02:37 PM

I haven't read the other responses....

Lowe's and Home Depot have a paint that is chemical free. I haven't smelled it yet, but I'm assuming that it can't be THAT bad if there are no chemicals. It's a bit pricey $35 a can, but worth it if it won't make you sick.
#10 of 11 Old 07-31-2008, 03:14 PM

I wore a mask while painting the nursery (well, okay, while standing around watching DH paint the nursery).
#11 of 11 Old 08-11-2008, 08:24 PM

I recommend www.mythicpaint.com. It is zero VOC, very low odor, and practically no toxins at all. We did our house in it and it is great. Pricey, but it has really good coverage and wear as well. HTH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page