Ouch! What am I doing wrong? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changing positions in bed at night is excruciating for me! Is this normal? The main pain is in my pubic bone- like if you were to trace a line from my belly button straight down- the first bone you hit before you get to all the good parts. It feels like someone hit me there with a hammer everytime I move, especiallly at night.

Once I do move around, I also get the ligament pain (I think) across my lower belly and on both lower-sides. Not the top or side-sides.

I'm up a TON to go to the bathroom, plus I like to change positions at least a couple of times during the night. But every time I move I am in SO MUCH PAIN and it feels like a superhuman effort!

1. This is normal, right? Or at least not a sign of pending doom? I am currently without a HCP (loooooong story), so I don't really have anyone to call to ask.

2. Is there a trick to getting out of bed or rolling over from side-to-side that I haven't heard yet? Legs bent... straight? Together or apart? Anything?

3. I suspect some of you may suggest a chiro..... I am pretty scared of them. If you think a chiro would help, could you be specific about EXACTLY what he would do for this during an appt? Please don't just tell me he would make an "adjustment".... what exactly would that look like? What position would I be in? How much violent cracking would there be, and how would he do it with a 9-mo preg belly?

Thanks, mamas.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#2 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 08:05 PM

I don't think what you're going through is normal. I didn't have it with my first pregnancy and don't have it now.

Yeah, I was going to suggest a chiro.

I was waking up with pains down the front of my right leg, starting above my hip. It turns out that my pubic bone was out of alignment. The right side of it was pulling outward. All we did was an adjustment.

I first lay on my stomach on a massage table with a sort of boppy shaped pillow with a hole for my belly - I'm only 19 wks, so my belly isn't huge yet. They do make special tables for that, though (I think). She pulled on each of my legs and had me move one arm at a time to the back and then to the front. That's when she realized the problem wasn't my lower back, so I flipped over. She used an activator (a small tool that exerts pressure) on my actual pubic bone to align it. It wasn't painful, but it might be if you are sore there. She then did normal chiro stuff, like aligning my neck and back.

This may help you, as well. For home, she recommended that I lay on my back with my right leg dangling off the bed. Then to massage the area going from my pubic bone down my leg a little.

Be sure to find a chiro that specializes in pregnancy to help you. My chiro is pregnant with her 2nd as well, so she's extra gentle and understanding.

Do you have a body pillow? That helps tremendously as well!

HTH

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#3 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 PM

PS. I love Chicago. Have you been to be by baby?

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#4 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 PM

Some women get pubic bone pain, the ligament between the bones relaxes more than it should and it hurts. I don't know much about it but have known a couple of people with it, and there is a woman on my DDC that has it quite badly...unusually so. Maybe change the title of your thread to pubic bone pain or something so that the women who do know more about it can chime in with answers about what works.

PS, its not a sign of pending doom, just pending discomfort.
#5 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 PM

Sounds totally normal to me. It's PSD and it's very, very common. And yes, a chiro can help but I can't really explain the technique they use. It's about balance and alignment overall.
#6 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 09:03 PM

Ah, it's the Evil Crotch Pain. I didn't have any crotch pain with my first but I did with ds and now with this pregnancy. It's fairly common. A chiro might help but as I haven't seen one for it I can't say personally.

I've found that if I sit for too long the ECP is awful when I get up. Moving around/staying active seems to help me the most.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#7 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
Some women get pubic bone pain, the ligament between the bones relaxes more than it should and it hurts. I don't know much about it but have known a couple of people with it, and there is a woman on my DDC that has it quite badly...unusually so. Maybe change the title of your thread to pubic bone pain or something so that the women who do know more about it can chime in with answers about what works.

PS, its not a sign of pending doom, just pending discomfort.
She's talking about me. I have this quite severely, and tho I'm in pain all the time, at night is definitely the worst pain. Your bones are probably seperating. Its not that uncommon and not that common. Light to moderate pubic pain is normal. Severe pubic pain is not. Its called Pubic Symphysis Disfunction.

Are you 9 months along? If so, then the pain you are feeling would be more normal than not. Your body releases a hormone called relaxin around 36 weeks. Relaxin's job is to soften the pelvic bones so that they can seperate and allow the baby to move down. My body releases relaxin between 16 and 20 weeks, which is much too early.

There is no way to ease the pain at night. You can *try* to roll instead of lifting your hips to turn over, but it will still hurt and you need a pretty big bed to do so.

This is my third time with this. I'm 22 weeks and have had this for the last month or so. Not bad, since last time it started at 16 weeks.
#8 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changed View Post
Sounds totally normal to me. It's PSD and it's very, very common. And yes, a chiro can help but I can't really explain the technique they use. It's about balance and alignment overall.
:

This is exactly what I have right now. I never had it with my previous two pregnancies. Ah, the joy of PSD.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#9 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 11:31 PM

I would suggest a good chiropractor. Talk to a few on the phone, get recommendations from friends, and seek on that is comfortable adjusting a pregnant woman.

I've had some bad chiros (mostly didn't listen to me and did their "routine" instead of addressing the areas I asked for help with) and now based off a recommendation from dh's coworker we have an excellent chiro. He spends time finding the problem and does very gentle adjustments. There is very little cracking.

I know other people that go to him too and he is respectful if they don't want their necks adjusted, for example.

I think you should be brave and try it. Let them know of your anxieties.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#10 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 PM

I get it really badly and have with both pregnancies. It hurts like a @*($% doesn't, it? http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/pubicpain.htm

I've found that keeping my knees together when I turn and get out of bed sometimes will help.
#11 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 11:56 PM

My pubic bone pain has gotten about 95% better since I've seen my chiropractor about once a month. Often the adjustment involves lying on my side, with my leg hanging over, and my shoulders down, and then he adjusts. It would be different for every case, I imagine, depending on what is out of whack. Sometimes it seems to stem from my ankles, knees, or hips.

In the meantime, moving as much as possible with legs together seems to help.

Good luck!!
#12 of 22 Old 08-01-2008, 10:08 AM

Just another tidbit to add about chiros--I don't have much experience with them, but have been seeing one for pelvic and lower back pain this pg. My chiro specializes in women's health, and does a lot of adjustments on pregnant women. She told me that once it gets later in the pregnancy, adjustments get very easy and she barely has to apply any pressure to do them, as pregnant women's joints get much more mobile--and I don't think it was just after 36 weeks.

It's been very helpful for me, and I feel much taller after my appts!
#13 of 22 Old 08-01-2008, 02:42 PM

I have the same thing!!

Ok so I am currently going to a chiro, who has me lie down on my sides, and she hooks my foot behind my other knee. She then presses down quickly and attempts to crack my lower back. She also has me cross my arms over my chest and she presses down hard with one of her hands pulling up my shoulder, and cracks my midback.

But. I have not found any relief. I have been going for 5 weeks, 2x a week. I finally (after reading your post) went to find out if I can find a Chiropractor that specializes in the Webster Technique (www.icpa4kids.com). I just got off the phone and she explained what she would do in a way that made me feel like it was just for women with PSD pain like me. She was honest and said that the 1st adjustment would require her to press on my pelvic area (bone?) and it can be uncomfortable-painful. But she said after that I would probably hardly need to see her again.

My baby is breech as well, and getting my pelvis aligned will help the baby turn. I don't know if this helped, but I have had the same pain since I was 22 weeks and I broke down into tears yesterday not knowing what it was, until this morning I read your post, and saw PSD and looked it up and sure enough the description fit! Finally I might get some relief!
"Any activity that involves lifting one leg at a time or parting the legs tends to be particularly painful. Lifting the leg to put on clothes, getting out of a car, bending over, sitting down or getting up, walking up stairs, standing on one leg, lifting heavy objects, and walking in general tend to be difficult at times. Many women report that moving or turning over in bed is especially excruciating."

I will write again after my Monday morning appointment and let you know how it felt, and what she did. Hope this helps.
#14 of 22 Old 08-01-2008, 02:55 PM

I have this pain and I've been doing this exercise to help relive it, with dh's help. I lay on my back with my knees bent and apart, heels together (butterfly position?) I let my legs spread as far as it's comfortable and then dh gets on his knees if front of my feet and puts his hands on the top of my knees and applies a smooth downward and forward push (toward my pubic area). He does that a couple times and it seems to line things up a bit. It's really helped but I went ahead and made my first chiro appointment for next week anyway because it doesn't seem to be working as well as it did. I've never really crunched/cracked at my chiro and I hear a lot of people feel like they were ran over by a truck for a couple days afterwords but this has never been my experience. I agree with pp, definitely ask if they are used to working on pregnant women and pelvis's.

I also sleep with a pillow between my knees and never, ever put my knees together. This seems to help me. I hope you get to feeling better soon

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#15 of 22 Old 08-01-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookieMom View Post
I have this pain and I've been doing this exercise to help relive it, with dh's help. I lay on my back with my knees bent and apart, heels together (butterfly position?) I let my legs spread as far as it's comfortable and then dh gets on his knees if front of my feet and puts his hands on the top of my knees and applies a smooth downward and forward push (toward my pubic area). He does that a couple times and it seems to line things up a bit. It's really helped but I went ahead and made my first chiro appointment for next week anyway because it doesn't seem to be working as well as it did. I've never really crunched/cracked at my chiro and I hear a lot of people feel like they were ran over by a truck for a couple days afterwords but this has never been my experience. I agree with pp, definitely ask if they are used to working on pregnant women and pelvis's.

I also sleep with a pillow between my knees and never, ever put my knees together. This seems to help me. I hope you get to feeling better soon
I have a book called Relieving Pelvic Pain During and After Pregnancy that has exercises for dealing with various types of pelvic pain (SI joint pain, SPD, etc.) and this sounds like one of the main exercises in it. I don't have that particular type of pelvic pain, so it didn't really help me, but I've heard a lot of women get relief from these types of exercises.

ETA: even though the legs apart position is not generally what is recommended for women with this problem--it does seem to help.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#16 of 22 Old 08-01-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, mamas!!!!!! Just the fact that so many of you have taken the time to write makes me

My DH has a chiro who he loves, so I may ask him if he has experience with pg women. Maybe- I'm still scared. I also had an appt with a new MW this morning, and she said that baby is 1. HUGE, 2. with a BIG head, and 3. Really really low in my pelvis. I wonder if that's contributing to my pain as well.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#17 of 22 Old 08-01-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDoula View Post
I finally (after reading your post) went to find out if I can find a Chiropractor that specializes in the Webster Technique (www.icpa4kids.com).
To the OP, check that website, it has a listing of its members. This chiro you know of may be an IPCA member and if he isn't, I sure hope he'll refer you to a chiro who is.

As for my visits to the chiro while pregnant, to start, my chiro had me lie on my belly on top of these large cushions with a circle cut out in the middle for the belly. She stacks the cushions as your belly gets bigger. Then she uses this electric massager thingie over my lower back. Such relief.

As for adjustments, she had me lie on my side with my knees slightly bent and my top arm on the table in front of my chest. She'd use a combo of her body weight and the table (parts of the table give in when she pushes pedals) to adjust my back. It doesn't really crack. And certainly doesn't hurt, even after.

She'd use this little hammer tool that applies a specific amount of pressure (imagine your pinky pressing the tip of nose, we're talking about that range of pressure) to adjust my neck. That tool allow her to put very little pressure, that's what she uses on newborn babies.

Finally, she's get me to lie on my back quickly and push on this muscle where your leg meets your body. That part hurts a bit and often causes a dull pain for a few hours afterwards.

Also, often chiros will want to see you after the birth and they'll want to see the baby as well. I think it's important not to skip the postpartum visits because giving birth can be quite traumatic on your body and being born can be quite traumatic on the baby's body too! Babies often sleep through the whole adjustment.

My chiro was truely a lifesaver during my last pregnancy, I would have been crippled otherwise, I can't recommend it highly enough.
#18 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Holy Mackerel! Ok I just got back from that Chiro appt. I mentioned above, and let me just tell you when I got off the table I hugged my Dr.

I feel so good. She had me lay on my belly, as described by Malvo, and my husband was there and he could see how out of alignment my body was. She did some pressing on my lower sacrum (didn't hurt) and the table moved as they do. Then she showed my husband and my alignment was better, then she did it 2 more times and my alignment was finally equal on both legs. Then I flipped over and she had to push on my pubic bone down, which she did while I was talking so I didn't even have time to tense up. She said she knew for me that was the right way to do it, and she was right. It hurt but it was really quick, and so worth it. It didn't hurt afterwards, and when I got off the table my vagina didn't hurt!!! It was amazing, I have been so used to getting up carefully and walking funny after sitting down, that I couldn't believe it didn't hurt. I kept walking in circles in her office, waiting for the pain, but it never came.

Ok so I am at home now, and I don't feel any pain/swelling or pressure. But just to play it safe I am going to take a tylenol, put on a icepack and take a nap. I hope if you have the same kind of pain I had, that you can find someone to work on you like this Chiro did on me. I have been going to a regular chiro for 6 weeks!!! with no results, and after one session with this woman I feel amazing.

I just keep saying, I feel so good. Oh my gosh, I don't hurt. This is awesome!
#19 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 06:21 PM

I've totally had this with both of my pregnancies.
#20 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 PM

Wow, I just called my doctor today about this! They said they can send me to PT, and give me vicodin, but otherwise there isn't anything they can do. Thanks for that great link, I'm going to read the whole thing!

Mine hurts both in the front and the back (sacrum). Getting out of bed is getting to be a real challenge.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#21 of 22 Old 08-04-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post
Changing positions in bed at night is excruciating for me! Is this normal?

Is there a trick to getting out of bed or rolling over from side-to-side that I haven't heard yet?
When I was very pregnant, I couldn't roll from one side to the other without it either hurting or just feeling very, very wrong. My solution was just to sit up from the side I was on, then shift my weight and lie down on the other side.

Also, I did some exercises that were recommended in our Bradley classes. And also as recommended, I sat either on the floor or on hard, dining room table type chairs as much as possible. AVOID recliners at all costs!!! That is what contributed to my OP baby.... not fun I can assure you!
#22 of 22 Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookieMom View Post

Those two, the "butterfly position" and sleeping with a pillow between the knees, are what they told us in prenatal class, and it really helps (for me anyway).

Apparently the butterfly position thing really helps align the bones in your pelvis better.

I sleep with one of those snake/sausage-like big pillows now, so I never have my legs together while sleeping. I fell asleep on the couch without my trusty pillow a few days ago, so knees together, and oh... my... gosh the AGONY when I woke up!

Good luck, I hope you find something that works!

Mommy to DD bouncy.gif born August 2008 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page