how bad is eating runny eggs? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by preemiemamarach View Post
slightly OT, but I have one small word of caution about eggs. I am an eggaholic, and ate them daily while pg with my son, as well as almost daily while nursing him. He has never eaten an egg, but has an anaphylactic egg allergy now. So, if you have allergies yourself (food or otherwise), or your partner or other children do, try not to eat highly allergenic foods every. single. day. My son's allergist says that moderation is fine, so I'm going to try to limit myself to eggs 2-3 times a week.

Now I have to find another breakfast item to obsess over!
Just in response to this: I have eaten eggs every day during all of my pregnancies and none of my children have an egg allergy. But I have been told that eating something frequently can make them more prone to allergy. Just sharing my experience

And I eat runny eggs during pregnancy

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabelle1317 View Post
Yes... the other previous posters are correct. Bad eggs float. Good eggs sink. So I'd double check what you have learned so you can ensure you aren't eating bad eggs and throwing out perfectly good eggs! :
Thanks I don't have to do it b/c our eggs don't last that long in our house with 3 kids that love their eggs. We also get out from a friend that has hand raised the chickens. not that they prevents spoiled eggs.

Kari Mom to 4 boys Justin, Nathan, Tyler & Brian
#33 of 37 Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 AM

I just read the other day that your chances of running into an egg with salmonella are 1 in every 30,000 eggs. And that's normal mass produced eggs.
#34 of 37 Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 AM

On food allergies: With our first, I ate eggs and dairy like every single day, in large quantities. She was born with fatal allergy to eggs and dairy. With the other three kids, I was no longer eating those things, as we no longer have eggs and dairy in the house, and the other kids are completely allergy-free. And yes, excessively eating allergenic foods can contribute to allergies in children who are prone to them. But then, I don't think we're talking about excessive quantities here.

On runny eggs: :Puke But I think eating the stuff you're craving will not do you any harm. I would not worry about it.
#35 of 37 Old 08-04-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 View Post
Salmonella actually comes from the outside of the egg shell, the inside of the shell is well protected from contaminents. You should be ok I've done it I like mine over easy :-)
I actually just saw this on the Food Network the other day! Other than that, I craved eggs too while I was pregnant. I think you should be fine; I wouldn't see a difference if you ate them now while being pregnant or not. I, too, would just make sure you get them locally. Enjoy!

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#36 of 37 Old 08-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
But I have been told that eating something frequently can make them more prone to allergy.
I've heard this too, but am I the only one that thinks this makes absolutely no sense?
Evolutionarily speaking... WHY would a child be more prone to develop allergies from what his/her mother eats the most? Wouldn't that set the babe up to *die* from the normal diet of the mother? I mean, for thousands of years, humans had a fairly limited diet. It just doesn't make sense. It would make more sense that the child would develop more of a tolerance to what the mom eats during pregnancy-- just like some babes like spicy food because they tasted it in-utero. Hmmmm.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#37 of 37 Old 08-04-2008, 05:20 PM

It makes sense because the fetus, if it is already prone to allergies, is having the immune system aggravated every single day by the offending foods. It's like if you have hay fever and go mow the grass every day. And as far as evolution goes, humans did not always have the onslaught of pollution, chemicals, hormone-laced foods, immunizations, and other nasties to weaken the immune system. There were other nasties (black plague, smallpox, etc.), but I think the bad things now are really, really weakening immune systems. And also, in world history, the super allergenic foods were never eaten in the quantities in which they are eaten now in the west. They were too expensive and not as available. There is certainly more availability of these foods now. But anyway, it is not my intention to start a debate. But three very prominent allergists I have seen for my daughter also support avoiding allergenic foods during pregnancy if a sibling has allergies. Or even if a sibling does not. Just everything in moderation. And the eggs and dairy I had in my first pregnancy, that was not moderation.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page