Is it ok to use calamine lotion? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to decide what to do with this rash that I have on my back. I first thought it was just a few bug bites but now it is spreading. I think it might be posion ivy. Is it ok to use calamine lotion or should I just wait it out?

Chelsey Married to my Wonderful Husband Devin: Mama to James 9.7.08wild.gif , Joy 5.19.10 energy.gifTitus 3.37.12 biggrinbounce.gif10/07angel.gif  Macy dog2.gif : Expecting #4 belly.gif in August
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 12:53 AM

My first instinct is that it's fine. But I bet you could google it in a jiffy. Also, check the bottle for any warnings.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:01 AM

if it is indeed poison oak/ivy there is a product called tecnu that works very well. You'll have to check to see if that is okay during pregnancy b/c I'm not sre if it is but I would think it is.

I googled calamine lotion and they said it wasn't known whether or not it was excreted in breastmilk from topical use and of course there was the caution to talk to your care provider about the risks versus benefits.

Can you put some calendula cream on until you know what is safe?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 AM

Here are the ingredients:

Active Ingredient: Calamine, Zinc Oxide. Inactive ingredients: Bentonite, Magma, Calcium Hydroxide, Glycerin and Purified Water.

The only ingredient I'm unsure about is the calcium hydroxide. Calamine is a mixture of zinc oxide and iron oxide. It's considered safe by most OBs but hasn't been thoroughly tested which is why it's classified as unknown, I believe.

But some sites classify it as an antihistamine, which I don't get. But I also know that Benadryl cream is also viewed by most OBs as safe during pregnancy. But calcium hydroxide is pickling lime. It doesn't sound terribly healthy, but is also used in Native American cooking, so I don't know honestly. Other mamas might be able to give you more info there.

If you're uncomfortable using either, then I'd try to find something more natural and mint-based (though watch out for products like Sarna lotion, which contain essential oils but also have nasty chems). Or a colloidal oatmeal product.

I've used Benadryl cream during pregnancy. I've never used Calamine lotion during pregnancy because I've never needed to. It's a personal choice though, and when in doubt, call your OB/midwife and ask.

You could also try one of these home remedies:

To reduce itching, mix 1 tsp. of water with 3 tsp. of one of these dry ingredients; cornstarch, baking soda, or oatmeal. Make a paste and apply over the affected skin.

For cooling relief, apply over the itching area aloe vera juice, tofu or watermelon rind; they soothe and dry poison ivy immediately.

Calendula lotion is very good in reducing itching, limiting the spread of the rash and helping the body to heal faster. California Baby and Weleda both make great calendula creams.

-----

You can also check out your local HFS for some homeopathic remedies.

Good luck, mama!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)

User Tag List