Is a little leak considered water breaking? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I woke to wet underwear. Had a little more water leak when I stood up. No bloody show, clear. Is that considered ruptured membranes? Nothing other than bh contractions.
#2 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 06:40 AM

It can be...
mind you other things can cause the same thing...urinary issues, watery vag discharge, etc..
call your healthcare pro this morning if you don't start contractions

8 might be enough
#3 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 06:45 AM

it could be ruptured membranes, but it could be just a little hindleak. sometimes little leaks seal up and your body replaces the water, so don't worry about. likely you'll be in labour soon, but it's also possible you've got another week or 2 to go.
how far along are you?

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#4 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

I'm 39 wks, planning a homebirth. I'm wearing a pad and having little leaks when I move, lie down. Took some Vit. C. I really do not want PROM...concerned re GBS transmission. trying not to feel anxious here...still no ctx. Any ideas to jump-start the ctx? I don't have a nursing babe...not sure how to nipple stim....maybe use my little electic breast pump? I'm going to call my mw here soon...just don't want to wake her earlier than I have to.
#5 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 07:25 AM

okay, well, honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about GBS. you have no way of knowing if you have an active infection, unless you were tested positive, like, yesterday. and that's no surety that your baby would be infected, and even then, not guaranteed it would be a problem.

you can take quite a large dose of vitC. how much did you take? do you know what your tolerance dose is? you should be able to take at least 3,000mg in a day before reaching tolerance (diarrhoea). and in any case, getting a little case of the runs might not be such a bad thing - it's known to trigger labour

if you're still having little leaks when moving, it sounds like you do indeed have a leak.

still, I wouldn't worry toooo much about getting labour jumpstarted at this point. I've seen many women with a small leak (even one with a huge gush) then go on to start labour several days or even a week later without problems. if it's ready to start, it will.

nipple stim is easy. just twiddle and rub your nipples firmly for at least 20 mins. if you have a partner or someone else close, you can let them suck. your electric breast pump would also work very nicely.

anyways, i'm online now, so let me know how it's going

#6 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 09:02 AM

My waters alway started leaking between 3pm-8pm and I don't start active labors with my three boys till after 2am and have had all three kids between 7:18am and 9:25am. My last son my water started leaking around 5pm and active labor didn't start till at least 5am. Hard labor hit around 6-6:30am and I had him by 8:25am.
#7 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 09:39 AM

That's exactly what happend to me at 40+6 with my DD. Had little leaks for a few hours in the afternoon and went into the hospital to see if it was my water. They monitored me for an hour and tested the fluid and said it was my water but it had stopped leaking so it had obviously sealed itself back again. I started having very mild contractions and they sent me home. My water didn't break until a few hours later when I was about 4-5cm and back in the hospital. It definitely didn't leak that time, it exploded all over the floor so I iknew it was for real that time!

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#8 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am sure now my water has broken; it's been leaking into a pad all day. Thankfully I have had some contractions, but I am stressed that labor isn't picking up. I really want this babe out in less than 18 hrs. frm time of rupture.

Anyone have any hints on how to get things going? I also don't want to be up all night after having so little sleep last night. This is not how I wanted things to go. It's very similar to my first birth so far, and that was 36 hrs w/ over 5 hrs of pushing. The 2d was 5 hrs, w/ about 20 min of pushing.

I'm drinking RRL tea. What else can I be doing other than nipple stim to get things moving?
#9 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 01:45 PM

Can I ask why you feel so pressured to start labor? I know dr's will give you a deadline to get labor started, is that why?

I had PROM with my second that lasted almost 72 hours. We did homeopathic blue and black cohosh, lots of walking, nipple stim., and finally castor oil. I don't know what finally worked because my labor kept starting and then stopping. When my labor did finally get going, I was *way* dilated already and it was a great birth!

DO NOT LET ANYONE NEAR YOUR VULVA.

Internal exams are what causes infection, and sets the clock for induction. Just relax emotionally,, walk alot, don't use all your PP pads like I did, get some Depends. Walking around all day long with a leak is not fun, but don't worry about it. Many women have gone through this. Take care and good luck!

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#10 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 01:58 PM

You're not in the UK by any chance are you? 18 hours is the length of time after which your waters break that most NHS midwives will be looking to use prostaglandins or syntocin to get labour going. Some will let it go to 24 but unless they are independent they'd probably be pushing for an induction at that point.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#11 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitymama View Post
You're not in the UK by any chance are you? 18 hours is the length of time after which your waters break that most NHS midwives will be looking to use prostaglandins or syntocin to get labour going. Some will let it go to 24 but unless they are independent they'd probably be pushing for an induction at that point.
18 hours? Wow. I had a leak like the OP's for over 48 hours when I finally went into the hospital, and they weren't stressed even in a hospital in the US about it. They just didn't give me any internal exams so they wouldn't cause any infections or anything.

To the OP - what finally got my water to go from a leak to a gush was walking around. I bet I walked around for a couple of hours though. But then, the waters stopped trickling and started gushing, and I got into serious labor. Best of luck to you!
#12 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 03:00 PM

Your forewaters can break with your hindwaters still intact ... from what I've ready anyway ... so try not to put that time clock on yourself...

and think of it this way ... your waters are leaking OUT flushing your vagina each time ... so as long as you aren't sticking anything inside or forcing 'germs' up inside that womb ... there is no worry about that 18 hr. time you set for yourself.

((( hugs and prayers )))
#13 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much, and thank you especially for the prayers. I'm concerned about the timing b/c I am GBS + and know PROM increases the risk of GBS transmission to the babe. I do not not not not not want to end up transferring the the hospital after my birth for a gravely ill little babe. I was having a hard time being patient before, but now it's almost intolerable. Plus I feel like I really let myself and my baby down w/ ruptured membranes starting my labor. As I understand it, this is caused by vit. C deficiency or an interuterine infection.
#14 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 05:38 PM

I'm not so sure... I didn't have either of those things and my waters broke before I started contractions. My MIL had this for my husband as well with no infections or anything wrong. From what I understand, somewhere around 10% of women just start this way and go into labor shortly afterward.

If you an manage it, please do no blame yourself or make this an unhappy start. They all go differently, and you are about to embark on one of the most miraculus events of your life. Enjoy it as much as possible and look for the good . Make the best decisions you can in the moment and let the rest go.

Best wishes!
#15 of 24 Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlec View Post
Thank you all so much, and thank you especially for the prayers. I'm concerned about the timing b/c I am GBS + and know PROM increases the risk of GBS transmission to the babe. I do not not not not not want to end up transferring the the hospital after my birth for a gravely ill little babe. I was having a hard time being patient before, but now it's almost intolerable. Plus I feel like I really let myself and my baby down w/ ruptured membranes starting my labor. As I understand it, this is caused by vit. C deficiency or an interuterine infection.

first and most of all, it is *not* your fault that your membranes ruptured before onset of labour. PROM is not usually caused by vitC deficience or uterine infection. It can be, but generally, it's just a normal, healthy way for labour to begin.

if you've been having some contractions, that's great. all these things are your body working to get your baby in the best possible position before labour. labour often just goes easier with a lot of preparation done
my advice would be to not worry about the clock *at all*.
take a bunch of vitC, and go lie down and get some rest!
starting labour after being up for ages stressing and focussing on every pre-labour contraction.

If you really want to get the contractions a little kick start, nipple stim is easily the safest way to go. use your breast pump if that's more comfortable. you could try some blue and black cohosh tincture, but I don't really recommend it if you don't have someone experienced around to support you. Castor oil works well too.

just make sure you don't let anyone anywhere near your vagina - that's what starts infections. and just because you tested +GBS, it doesn't mean you have an active infection now, or that your baby will catch it.

#16 of 24 Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

:ty ty :

nak my little babe...came yesterday evening only 12 hrs frm mem rupture

ty, milkf....my mw agreed water breaking 1st is not nec. infection or deficiency. more later!
#17 of 24 Old 08-04-2008, 01:02 PM

Mazal Tov!

Boy or girl?

Wife to 1, Mom to 4
#18 of 24 Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 PM

Oh yay, I was just thinking about you...I'm SO HAPPY everything worked out!

Congratulations!:

I want to hear your LO's story! I mean, I know you have been busy... but don't make us wait too long!

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
#19 of 24 Old 08-04-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

girl!
#20 of 24 Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! : :
Happy birthday!!!

#21 of 24 Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 PM

Welcome to your new little girl! Enjoy your babymoon!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#22 of 24 Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Only have a sec to post. I really appreciate all the kind thoughts and words. Labor didn't kick in till about 2:30 when I took my dd1 on a walk to the playground. When I got back, I was in transition, then feeling pushy. MW ass't got here, then mw...I was 10 cm/fully effaced/no lip ready to go! But tired. And the pushing was harder than last time...turns out, this little babe was an entire pound more than either of her sisters, so I guess that could have something to do w/ it. After ~1 1/2 I had my little babe in my arms. Great stats for her, only a tiny tear for me...It really went well! And no sign of GBS infection ::

need to nurse her!
#23 of 24 Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM

fantastic news

#24 of 24 Old 08-05-2008, 08:11 PM

Sounds like a wonderful birth. Congratulations!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page