Gestational Diabetes Support Group - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1310 Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the chocolate tip, brandyk! I love dark chocolate, and found a bar with 76% cocoa - so I ate a square, and it tasted sooooo good! I figured out it only has 2.5 g of carbs per square, so I can eat one square at lunch everyday - it sure is helping the sweet tooth!
#362 of 1310 Old 11-06-2008, 03:37 PM

Started my insulin injections today. They hurt less than the finger pricks. I'm hoping that I'll be able to eat more that 1-2 carbs at meals now. Anyone else really struggling with depression issues? Maybe it has to do the the GD itself, but I find that I don't feel like eating, can't sleep, don't want to do anything, and generally just not feeling well...
#363 of 1310 Old 11-06-2008, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
momtoxane - I went through a period with my gd that was terrible. Everything just seemed so bleak & hopeless - but after we got the glucose levels under control it improved a lot.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#364 of 1310 Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 PM

I hear you ,momtoxane. The first week or two of my diagnosis, I was totally miserable trying to figure out the diet and pricking my finger and all that. I'm stuck on only eating a very limited diet (more limited than most GD people) because I have a very sensitive body, so I still feel some depression about that. Just remember that this is a time-limited condition (hopefully), and you'll have a beautiful baby at the end!
#365 of 1310 Old 11-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Muj

Maybe it's just my lazy self, but I'm feeling down too, even though my numbers are "great" with the insulin. Today I just didn't feel like getting out of bed. I dread breakfast, it's an awful chore now with having to check BS before and taking insulin and checking after. I just feel so bleugh. I'm used to it, but the idea of it, thinking of it just tires me.
#366 of 1310 Old 11-07-2008, 10:44 AM

one thing I find which is kind of awful is that I'm more alert and perky if my blood sugars are higher in the am. It doesn't make a lot of sense as 80 even should be high enough not to make a person feel draggy but it doesn't seem to work that way for me. So maybe the same for folks here that getting the lower fasting sugars may make you feel worse at least in the am even if its healthier?

Speaking of which, I'm sick today with a nasty cold and my blood sugar was 107 this morning! What do you all do on sick days? Especially if you aren't taking insulin so its not like you can just bump it up?
#367 of 1310 Old 11-07-2008, 11:12 AM

That's why I love this forum! I feel better knowing I'm not the only one going through these issues.

Lifeguard - hows that new baby of yours?

Ruth - the restricted diet is really awful. hopefully things will even out and you can eat more. That's what I love about being on insulin, eating real food!

Muj - I hear you! Checking ketones, testing BS, measuring serving sizes and carb counts. It is quite exhausting!

Erica - I haven't really noticed a difference in energy with fasting levels of 100 or 70. I just know that the more I eat the better I feel, until I see how high my BS is lol. Since you're sick, your BS will be higher. Just drink lots of water and call your doctor to see if there is anything else you should do. Hope you're feeling better soon!
#368 of 1310 Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 PM

I'm on the first day of my 3-day carb load before my 3-hour test. I just ate breakfast an hour ago, and I ate exactly what was on the suggested menu, and I'm a little dizzy and my heart is pounding. I'm worried that's a bad sign.

The baby is kicking like crazy. Carbed up.
#369 of 1310 Old 11-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Renee, I felt depressed in my 3rd trimester, too, both last time and this time. Last time, I tried to research and see if there was such a thing as prenatal depression and didn't find any information on it, so I assumed I was imagining things. I ended up suffering through 6 months of undiagnosed PPD after DS was born, until DH finally dragged me to the doctor because he knew something wasn't right.

All of this is a long way of saying, when I started feeling depressed this time, I told my OB and went back on Zoloft right away. I just don't want to risk going through the whole PPD thing again. So between that, the metformin, the thyroid pills, and my vitamins and supplements, I feel like a walking pharmacy!

Good luck on your test, mamazee!

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
#370 of 1310 Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 PM

Susanna - Thanks for that. I had severe PPD after my first baby and mild PPD after my last GD pregnancy. I'll bring it up with my OB at my next appointment! I've been on just about every antidepressent in the past and nothing seems to work. I'm interested to see what she has to say about it.
#371 of 1310 Old 11-07-2008, 08:05 PM

frustrated. I can't even write more than that right now. Just mad.
#372 of 1310 Old 11-08-2008, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
hugs, avi.

I'm fortunate to be doing pretty well, but tonight has been super bad about sweet cravings and I'm sad to say I've given in a bit. I had a little fudge after dinner (but at least with protein!) and some sugar free ice cream after that. I figure I'll own up if my numbers are high in the morning. I'm not overly worried because I've stuck to my diet very well so far and I'm doing well, but I do feel kinda guilty for the recent pig out.
#373 of 1310 Old 11-08-2008, 08:22 AM

Erica --

I've also had a cold, and I've also noticed (since a couple of days before symptoms started) that my glucose numbers were up. Fortunately they've been in the normal range still, so I've just let it go so far. I guess if they got outside normal I'd just drink extra water and eat a little less carb and more protein for now. I'm not on any meds to control it.

Hope we both get better soon! This is no fun.

Nealy
mama to T, 5; L, 2; and EDD 12/20/08
#374 of 1310 Old 11-08-2008, 09:45 AM

How long does it take insulin to kick in? I took my first dose last night (10 units of Lantus), and my morning numbers were the same! Also, I forgot to mention to the doc that I take Natural Calm at bedtime to control heartburn (contains magnesium and calcium - I skipped my calcium pill last night becuase I wasn't sure...) Would that effect the insulin?
#375 of 1310 Old 11-08-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthmg View Post
How long does it take insulin to kick in? I took my first dose last night (10 units of Lantus), and my morning numbers were the same! Also, I forgot to mention to the doc that I take Natural Calm at bedtime to control heartburn (contains magnesium and calcium - I skipped my calcium pill last night becuase I wasn't sure...) Would that effect the insulin?
I don't know if it affects insulin, but it has never impacted my blood sugars in the morning.
#376 of 1310 Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 PM

ruth I think that if anything it would lower your numbers not raise them, so its probably ok.

My sugars are back to normalish today even though the cold is still there, so I guess yesterday was an aberration.
#377 of 1310 Old 11-08-2008, 05:52 PM

The endo started me on the lowest dose, but honestly, I don't think it worked! Although I was EXTREMELY hormonal and crying all day and night yesterday, and the insulin hasn't worked immediately - my fasting #s were the same - high! I know I sound like a broken record, but is it supposed to be immediate, or does it take a couple of days to get your body used to insulin?

Should I call the doc on call or just wait until monday?
#378 of 1310 Old 11-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Ruth - the insulin worked instantly for me - WHEN we got the dose right. Until we got the dose right I saw NO improvement at all. I don't know if that is normal but that was my experience & yes, it was extremely frustrating & upsetting.

#379 of 1310 Old 11-08-2008, 07:39 PM

Thanks, lifeguard - I guess I need to call them Monday morning to up my dose.

Hope you can eat normally again!
#380 of 1310 Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 PM

I've been on my insulin for a few days now and my numbers are getting worse, not better. I think I got a fresh batch of pregnancy hormones or something! I go in on Monday and they'll probably adjust my dose. I'm so frustrated eating BELOW the recommended carbs and still getting HIGH numbers! I just want to go to bed and wake up when the baby is born...
#381 of 1310 Old 11-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Muj

Interesting... just wanted to mention that when I started insulin the endocrinologist told me to up my dose when my numbers were high. So three days after starting I increased each dose by one unit and my numbers have been good (except for a random one or two). Not much of an increase but still I did it myself and just mentioned it a week and a half later when I met with the doc again. Last time I went in, the endo actually told me if I foresaw eating something that would up my numbers to actually take a larger dose of insulin. No way am I going to do that, thankyouverymuch, but this seems way different from what I am reading here.
#382 of 1310 Old 11-09-2008, 12:38 AM

Muj - I think it depends on what the endo is comfortable with. Mine seemed to prefer to monitor it closely & have every increase done with consultation with him. But he also was comfortable doing this via e-mail most of the time so making the changes were not overly complicated (as in I didn't need to go in to see him each time).

#383 of 1310 Old 11-09-2008, 05:27 PM

Hi everyone! Back home, exhausted! The past several days were extremely tiring. Lots of walking back and forth, lots of stress. My BS has been pretty low and all I've been doing is eating. After I got off the plane last night and walked through the terminal I got totally hypo. Clammy, sweat pouring off of me. I shoved a protein bar in my face faster than I ever thought I could eat it, followed by handfuls of nuts. DH showed up shortly thereafter with milkshakes and a double-double protein style. Just what I needed! (I didn't have any sugar on me.)

He's busy making me lunch now! I'm spending the day relaxing on my butt because I made it and I'm tired and I deserve it
#384 of 1310 Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 PM

HI ladies I am newly diagnosed and have a question.
The dietician gave me a chart and it seems weird to me what do you guys think.
For breakfast I can have 2 servings of a starch of 15g each of carb. So thats 30g
and 15 g of carb from dairy and 15g of carb from protein
That means for breakfast I can have 55g of carbs just for breakfast? That is way way More then I ever eat.
Dinner is even crazier 3 servings of 15g each of Starch one of fruit, and 3 of protein and 2 of veggies

I am wondering if I am reading it wrong and it means 2 servings of starch (no more then 15g carb each) 1 serving of diary no more then 15 g and then one serving of protein for breakfast?
and then dinner would be 3 (15g servings) of starch, one serving fruit and 3 servings of protien
even if that is the case is that not a lot of carbs for each meal?
Terrie
#385 of 1310 Old 11-10-2008, 08:39 PM

my3 - i don't think you're reading your chart right. breakfast is 30g carb, 1 serving of dairy (you might need to skip dairy if you're sensitive - many are), and 15g of protein. don't know where you'd get your carbs from protein, since most have zero! although that's not enough protein for the a.m. really. i'd have 30g protein, and a serving of fat too, to go along with my 30g carbs. You may need less. when you get these charts they are a starting point and you've gotta figure it out.

3 servings of carbs at dinner is nothing. you may not be able to do the fruit at dinner. and don't forget your fat!!! i can't tell you how invaluable fat is to helping digest the carbs properly.

1 cup of raisin bran + 1 cup of skim milk is over 55g carbs. You'd be very surprised on how much carbs you probably eat. 3 servings of carbs is 1 serving pasta + 1/2-1 serving sauce (depending on nutritionals). i ate at least twice as much on WW before pregnancy (and i was reliably losing!). veggies aren't reliable blood sugar aides for me - only salad is. so even the advice to eat more veggies to feel full and help with carb digestion hasn't worked for me.

right now (36weeks) i am lucky and can eat again as long as i keep some balance! it's very exciting especially since i am totally freaking starving.

i found out today that baby is oblique (sigh). I KNEW IT.
#386 of 1310 Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 PM

Thank you! I really thought I was reading it wrong. I didn't get much advice from the dietician. She gave us a chart that said how many servings of each item for each meal and then said each serving should have 15g carbs in it. But never said just for starch and milk and fruit. So I was not sure how I was going to get 15-45g carb out of protein because like you said most have very little. lol.
It was a 2 hour class and I didn't even get a sample menu out of it so I am really lost.
#387 of 1310 Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 PM

Here's an example of my menu:

Breakfast: 1/2 C oatmeal, 1 slice Ezekial bread, 2 eggs, 6 oz kefir, butter.
Lunch: 2 slices bread, 3 oz fish (salmon or sardines), avocado, lettuce, onion, apple.
Dinner: 3 oz meat, 1/2 cup sweet potato, 1 small white potato, 1 cup cooke spinach, salad, dressing, butter, 12 cherries.

Snacks: balance 1 carb serving with 1 protein serving.

This is what works for me. Did they give you a book as to what serving size equals 15 g carbs? Rice is 1/3c, but acorn squash is 1 C! If you can find a diabetic exchange book, it makes it a lot easier.

I have to be honest - it took about a week before I was really comfortable figuring out the diet, and I have a written plan!

Good luck!
#388 of 1310 Old 11-10-2008, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Ugh. I really don't like the new glucomater I have. I was using the ultratouch 2. Now I'm on Accu Check Active or some such, and it's very picky. If I don't give it just the right amount of blood in just the right spot it won't read at all, and it gives me wildly different numbers. I can take a testing, get a high number, wash my hands as instructed if it seems off, and then take the test and be even higher but if I wait a minute and take it again (because I was like, woah, how can I be this high when I only ate protein at my last meal??) it drops like forty points. Ummm. There's no other glucomater I can have on my insurance, and they only allow me so many strips a month so this rechecking kinda sucks. I'll see if they think this machine is malfunctioning at my next appointment with the dietician, but I think she mostly wants to know about my diet and such. I'm not going to a endio. My obgyn thought my numbers were great last week, though, even the ones I thought were a little high for what I usually run. I'm not showing any signs of complications either, so I think I'll take my readings with a grain of salt (within reason, of course) and stick to my diet.
#389 of 1310 Old 11-10-2008, 10:53 PM

happyhats - most meters have some degree of trouble with accuracy. When I was in th hospital getting my insulin dose right I checked with my meter every time the nurses came in to check with the hospital meter & was able to see mine was high by almost 10% most of the time. So try to take it with a grain of salt.

mythreesonz - I'm sorry you had such a poor experience with your dietician. Normally protein & fats do not count into your carb choices & usually more of these help you to process the carbs better. I was also told dairy counts as 12 not 15 grams. I know it's not much difference but as I found I was super carb sensitive in the mornings & a dairy serving worked better for me.

#390 of 1310 Old 11-11-2008, 11:37 AM

Happyhats - I had a one touch and it was frustrating trying to get the right sample size and then not having enough strips to retest when I got errors. Thankfully I switched to the Freestyle and it's much better, no errors, consistant readings, much easier to deal with. I would petition your insurance to cover it!

Terrie - I was totally confused too after seeing the dietician in my first trimester. She gave me a food pyramid with a few remarks on it about GD specific diets. She also told me to eat every two hours, but no mention of what to eat or how much! I saw the diabetic counselor last month and she was MUCH more help. Here's the diet she gave me: 2 carbs at breakfast (30g), 3 carbs and lunch/dinner (45g) 1.5 carbs before bed (20g) and 1 carb for snacks (15g). Read your labels!! Not all servings of "carb" food have the same cab counts. My bread is only 12g while Grape Nuts is close to 40g! Also veggies are 5g per 1/2 cooked serving.

26 week appointment...

So I saw the diabetic couselor who chewed out the pharmacy for screwing up all my prescriptions. She demanded that I increase my calories by eating more food more often, I didn't gain any weight. My insulin was upped to 8 units. I don't have to go back next week, just call in with my numbers.

My OB ordered more tests. I had blood drawn for CBC to check my anemia status. I'm scheduled for another u/s in two weeks. She didn't seem happy about my restricted diet nor the fact that I'm on long-acting insulin. It sounds like she wants to put me on regular insulin, which would mean taking shots before every meal.

My tummy measured 27cm and the baby's heartbeat was 150's BPM. He kept kicking the doppler, lol. I'm at 1lb total gain from pre-pg and my BP was 122/66. I have to fax in my blood sugar log next week and have an appointment the following week. I think that's how we will continue until I start NST's, around 32wks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page