Gestational Diabetes Support Group - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2008, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
momtoxane - I'm sorry you're having trouble with the insulin. Even with my 16 units of insulin my chinese and cupcake put me over the top at 145 last night. Oh well - I guess it could have been much worse. Just imagine without the insulin!

I am also dreading Thanksgiving. My in-laws are coming to town to visit and I had told them that I wasn't cooking a dinner (I'm just not up for the physically right now) but that we would go out to a nice meal. Well, now my MIL has decided that she will be cooking a big meal in my kitchen... ugh! I should appreciate the sentiment, but I just really don't want to deal with it or the tempting leftovers hanging around for days. I'm really nervous. I'm definitely going to try to forgoe the potatoes and such for a slice of pumpkin pie. Besides, I don't think pumpkin is too bad. I looked it up and it averages about 30 - 35 carbs per slice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 04:12 PM

momtoxane - you had a vbac with gd, right? My endo and OB freaked me out when I was first diagnosed and was measuring large, so I agreed to the scheduled repeat c-section, but now I'm starting to reconsider. My midwife is still very supportive of a vbac. I had the u/s the endo recommended to check the baby's size (against my midwife's wishes), and it says the baby is in the 69th percentile. I know they aren't always accurate, but it did quell my fears of a monster-huge baby! My main concern with the vbac is that I do not want to be medically induced at all - no pitocin. I've just heard too many horror stories with it and know that it increases odds of rupture and other interventions. Any advice would be great!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:27 PM

oh you did NOT say pumpkin pie! it's the one thing i am not allowing myself to eat until this is all over. my numbers have been continuing to improve (38w on Sunday). my fasting this a.m. was 69. about 6 weeks ago baby was measured in the 76th %ile and this week she was 69th. so i'm guessing somewhere in there is right.

i'm getting to the point where i am getting really tired of being PG. i am so uncomfortable! and hungry. i'm so tired of being hungry, wolfing down 5 bites, and then being full. and then repeating an hour later. bah!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:49 PM

RE: VBAC and GD - Yep my "big" baby weighed in at a whopping 7lbs even. I would avoid a repeat c/s unless absolutely medically necessary. However I would consider an induction over a c/s even with my vbac risk. The number one thing you can do to help ensure a successful VBAC is to have a supportive care provider like a midwife. I also hired a doula and made sure my entire support team was on the same page regarding my wishes for a natural birth. The risk of rupture is like 0.25% and the risk with pitocin is like 0.5%. Even in the rare case of UR, most happen in the hospital and both mother and baby come through the delivery healthy.

This time my OB is saying that my chances of a vaginal delivery are the same as anyone elses since I had a successful VBAC last time. I don't think the GD will play a part unless we start getting past my EDD. Then you start to worry about the placenta failing since higher blood sugars stress this particular organ. The other thing to look for on u/s measurements is the size of the body/shoulders in relation to the head. Diabetics are advised to go c/s when the proportions are off and indicate a high risk of distocia.

Pumpkin pie - It was one of the first things my diabetic counselor said was ok on my carb count list! A whole slice! Other pies are only 1/2 a slice and ones like double-crusted fruit pies are to be completely avoided. I think I can manage that, especially with a big dollup of sugar-free whipped cream!
Old 11-21-2008, 05:16 PM

My birthday is Tuesday, and Thanksgiving is Thursday! I had an endo appointment today, and she said I could have cake and pumpkin pie if I just adjust my insulin up a bit and watch the other carbs. I'll be making both myself, so I think I might try using agave nectar instead of sugar. Or maybe I'll throw caution to the wind and just make it normally since I have been so strict since finding out about my GD that I'm scaring myself. (I am NOT a big rule and regulation person, so this has been torture for me).

Good luck next Thursday to all the Americans with GD - it's a hard day. Luckily we're having lamb, not turkey (UGH! turkey is grossing me out this pregnancy), so there is no stuffing to worry about.

Our local farmer's market has had beautiful red cabbage (I live in FL), and I've been sauteing the cabbage in butter and white balsamic vinegar and cooking on low heat for about 1 hour to make it tender (stirring every 5-7 minutes). I haven't been having artificial sweeteners, so the cabbage is very sweet to me, although not my DH. I'll probably make that again on Thursday as a side dish.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 PM

ruth - I'm sorry to bring up the pumpkin pie, but I'm gladd you'll be able to work some in! I nkow what you mean about not being a rule follower. It's like it haunts me 100 times more if it's considered "off limits!"

momtoxane - thanks for the positive info regarding the vbac. But actually you brought up another concern for me... At my u/s on Tuesday (where she was measuring 69%), the tech had to leave the room to get the doctor because the head was only in the 6%tile while the rest of the body was in the 60ish%tile. When he came in they remeasured and remeasured until they got it to come up to the 19%tile, then he said that everything looked fine. I've still been worried sick about it ever since - I'm not trusting that such a big difference is "fine." But my midwife insists that it was probably just the position of the baby's head in my pelvis making it difficult to measure and that if the doctor was at all concerned he would have recommended follow-up testing. My aunt who is an u/s tech wants me to push for a level 2 u/s. Maybe the level 2 (to hopefully rule this disproportion out) would help with my vbac decision... hmmm...
Old 11-21-2008, 07:39 PM

I think this is the pumpkin pie recipe I used for Thanksgiving 2 years ago. I replaced the "liquid sweetener" with the equivalent in baking Splenda last time. This time, I'm going to use agave nectar. Remove the 2tbsp. ice cream from the equation and replace it with sugar-free whipped cream, and you should be good to go.

I'm the only one in the family who likes pumpkin pie, so I'm just making this for myself. Everyone else likes pecan pie, and since there's no way to make that low-carb I'm just going to bring my own dessert.

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
Old 11-21-2008, 10:29 PM

Since being diagnosed with GD two days ago, my midwife's office finally called back today and scheduled me with a diabetic counseling center affiliated with the hospital. I go on Tuesday.

They called in a Rx to my pharmacy for a glucose monitor and test strips. I thought I would pick out the one I wanted? What do you all use and is there a preferred brand? I hate to spend a ton on this stuff when I'm going to only use it for 3 months! I thought I saw some coupons in magazines recently for rebates or something on glucose monitors, but of course at the time I didn't know I would be needing one and didn't save the info!

I called our insurance to see if they would cover the diabetic counseling, and they will only cover if it is for cardiac conditions. What bunk! How expensive do you think it will be for a two hour session? I'm meeting with a registered dietician/nutritionist and then someone to show me how to use the glucose monitor.

I'm supposed to track my blood sugar levels for a week, and then I go see a peri.

Also, someone I know who previously had GD said it interfered with her ability to breastfeed after the birth. That really scares me. I have successfully breastfed two babies, and never used formula. I hope I don't have issues in that area.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:41 PM

How did it interfere? I had GD with my last and had no trouble breastfeeding but it did take a bit longer for my milk to come in than for some moms. If you've successfully breast fed before I don't think it will be a problem. I'm wondering if that momma had trouble though because they insisted on giving the baby formula for the baby to avoid low blood sugar after birth. if the baby will nurse right after birth low blood sugar is NOT usually a problem and the baby doesn't need formula or sugar water. If for some reason the baby won't latch right away you might need to supplement with something at first...make them give it in a dropper or even an SNS and not a bottle.

I don't know what monitor is best, I like the freestyle one I have.

I had to start some glyburide in addition to the met, but we are still holding off on insulin. So far the glyburide is working, in fact it might be working too well, I don't want low blood sugar to be a problem. I'm on the smallest dose possible without cutting up the pill.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:04 PM

Avie: My friend has three children, and had GD with her first, but not the last two. She said the strict GD diet impaired her colostrum coming in after the birth, and she was never able to breastfeed that first child. She went on to breastfeed her other two.

I am 6 1/2 months pregnant, and have colostrum now! Hopefully the new GD diet doesn't dry things up. Perhaps since my friend had never nursed before, it was all too much. I will adamently try until it works! I believe too strongly in it.

They said my first was not getting enough nourishment from me immediately and had trouble latching on, so they supplemented with formula in a dropper.

Hopefully no issues this time.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:47 PM

My 3.5 y/o is still nursing through this pregnancy and GD, and I can hear him suck and swallow, so I know there is colostrum there. I talked to my pediatrician, and she said that it would be fine for me to pump and have some colostrum ready for immediately after birth if this one has trouble latching on (DS had problems for the first 6 weeks, but clearly he's figured it out). If anyone has colostrum and can pump some out, my ped said that is better than sugar water or formula. I plan on pumping closer to my due date and freezing it until it's time to give birth.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:22 AM

erica - you should ask your people about cutting up the glyburide. when i started, it was on 1/2 pill, not a whole one. it can work very very well!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concadmom View Post
They called in a Rx to my pharmacy for a glucose monitor and test strips. I thought I would pick out the one I wanted? What do you all use and is there a preferred brand? I hate to spend a ton on this stuff when I'm going to only use it for 3 months! I thought I saw some coupons in magazines recently for rebates or something on glucose monitors, but of course at the time I didn't know I would be needing one and didn't save the info!
MOST companies that make glucose monitors offer free glucose meters with the purchase of the strips. Whatever you end up with, check the website for the meter and see if they have a coupon where you can mail in the receipt for the meter and strips and get a rebate.

I have the Accucheck Advantage. It's old, it was my dad's and I used it through my last pregnancy two years ago. Apparently newer ones require less blood (therefore smaller pricks and less pain) and are faster but I don't have an issue with it for a few months. I don't think there are really any "bad" ones out there... no one would use them, there is such a wide variety of brands.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 11-22-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Avie: My friend has three children, and had GD with her first, but not the last two. She said the strict GD diet impaired her colostrum coming in after the birth, and she was never able to breastfeed that first child. She went on to breastfeed her other two.
I wonder because I did have trouble with the colostrum not coming in either and had I gotten different advice I might have ended up not breastfeeding either. My colostrum did eventually start but it did take more than 24 hours and then milk came in the same day about 12 hours later. I luckily had patient doctors who just kept telling me to nurse and it would come and it did but a friend of mine had the same problem and did end up giving up. If you have colostrum now though I highly doubt that the GD would cause it to dry up. I don't with this pregnancy either, at least none that is expressible.

I may have to ask about the half pill, we'll see how the numbers go after the weekend. Thanks for letting me know, because she did say that it was a very small dose but I guess it can be smaller!

Did they tell you you'd have to go off it two weeks before giving birth? It says so in the literature that accompanied the perscription but no one has mentioned that to me.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have definitely not had any problems with nursing as far as supply goes even though I had GD.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 11-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Monitors - Definitely check with your insurance! I got my monitor for free from the diabetic counselor only to find out that the test strips weren't covered and it was over $200 for a month's supply! It was the One Touch Ultra, which is supposed to be one of the highest rated by consumer reports. I'm on my fourth meter and it's the best of all I've used so far. It's the FreeStyle Lite. I have almost no errors and it's very easy to use.

Ok so now I'm thoroughly frustrated with my insulin. The regular insulin that I take with dinner doesn't work fast enough to cover my meal and then drops me low in the middle of the night sending my fasting levels way up! I'm definitely going to ask them to change this. I'm trying to be patient, but it's getting more difficult. I'm not sure if it's just the pregnancy hormones or the huge swings in BS from highs to lows that is making me so moody, lol...
Old 11-22-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post

I may have to ask about the half pill, we'll see how the numbers go after the weekend. Thanks for letting me know, because she did say that it was a very small dose but I guess it can be smaller!

Did they tell you you'd have to go off it two weeks before giving birth? It says so in the literature that accompanied the perscription but no one has mentioned that to me.
they could also split it half in the morning (to help with morning/lunch #s) and half at night (for fasting). it is relatively fast acting (although not like fast acting insulin).

i asked about going off it and they said no. so i'm continuing to take it. i think probably next week they'll slice off half a pill depending on my numbers. and if i'm still pregnant! i have the reached the "i'm done" point and want to see my baby!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:18 PM

So my regular insulin was upped and if my fasting numbers don't go down they're adding another dose of NPH at bedtime. I'm so excited for my u/s tomorrow afternoon!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:35 PM

I'm glad to hear that others have been successful with nursing after GD. It is a huge priority of mine, after failing with my son (who was given nipples and pacifiers in the NICU). I have colostrum, but my midwife does not want me to pump, as the nipple stimulation might induce labor. I thought that would be a good thing, since they don't to go beyond 40 weeks, but she said that she'd rather induce through means that can be closely controlled and monitored if need be.

I made my decision today to go back to my original plan of the VBAC. I feel great about it! My midwife was right - I was basing the c-section decision on fears (mostly set in place by the doctors) not on facts. So I hope to go into labor naturally before my due date, but will be *carefully* induced on December 18th if not. I figure that we will just monitor the baby closely, and if there is any distress, we can decide on the c-section then. And at least then the baby and I will have benefitted from the "labor hormones."
Old 11-25-2008, 03:44 AM

Can I cry?? So I've had my numbers under control since the begining but at my NST today ( which my my mw makes me do) They couldn't get my contol and so her guess is that at some points Noelle's hb was dropping. So she wants me to go in for yet another us and says I need to rest more. Because it "could be the placenta" This is the week last year Bryce died the last thing I want to do is lie around so I have lots of time to think.

Plus i know I was dehydrated but the way things are going if I have just an afl level and it comes make bad then she'll just send me for an us.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I want to cry what should I do??
Old 11-25-2008, 11:19 AM

canndyapplez - I'm so sorry to hear that you're having difficulties. Go ahead and cry if you need to. Then try to find a good book to distract you while you are resting.

I have to begin the NST soon - my midwife is supposed to get back to me sometime today. She admitted yesterday that she probably should have been doing them already, as I started the insulin almost 2 weeks ago. I don't mind going to do them if it reassures me the baby is well.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:06 PM

candyapplez - the same thing happened to me last monday.... she was moving so much they just did a quick US. guess what they saw - she was rolling around like a crazy little baby! but you NEED to drink your water. i had low fluid in late september and it was freaky. baby didn't move for a whole day. get religious on that water!

the NST is a pain in the ass but since my numbers are getting better i'm worried that means my placenta is giving out. i'm more than happy to go do them. baby, on the other hand, absolutely hates them. she gives the monitors a sharp kick every time. direct hits i think the benefits outweigh the risks though.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:39 PM

candyapplez, 2 weeks ago I had a NST where they just couldn't get a good reading on his heartbeat. My doctor made me go to the hospital across the street so they could test me on the big machine instead of just the little one in the office. We passed that one. Then, last week, it was really hard to hear his heartbeat and he wasn't moving as much as usual, though they didn't make me go to the hospital.

My little guy just doesn't like the test, and he runs away from the monitor if he can. The ultrasound tech said some babies are like that. Today, I had a protein bar and plenty of water right before the test, and he was bouncing around, kicking me, and letting us hear his heartbeat. Everything looks OK.

Take care of yourself, and hopefully at your next NST everything will be fine.

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
Old 11-25-2008, 07:55 PM

speaking of crappy NSTs... they made me wait for 45 minutes, then i was TOTALLY ticked off (especially since i ate right before hand). then baby was sleeping by the time they hooked me up since it'd been so long since i ate. we were at the dr's office for over an hour and a half. blah! it's supposed to be a NON stress test but i get really irked at having to wait!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:04 AM

Brandy that sucks. As far as the numbers being better though, I think you are due the same time as me more or less so you are around 36 or 37 weeks? Right around that time the hormones that keep your insulin resistance up do usually tend to start tapering off and blood sugar will return generally to more normal sometime before birth. So far its not happening for me but it might be what's up for you, I don't think that is linked to placenta deterioration, but it is linked to the babies birth!

Candy just hugs, I do know how hard those anniversaries are. Hang in there. Sending a little prayer for Bryce and you and your little girl on the way.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:23 AM

oh no. i am 38w2d!!! and READY FOR BABY! baby, come out! my next OB appt is on monday (39w1d) and they will talk about induction starting then. i want baby to get moving and am optimistic about this weekend. very good to know the late-pregnancy improvement on the BS numbers doesn't have anything to do with placenta deterioration.

i still have to watch what i eat, just not as closely (except it does have to be more frequent and i added a snack 1-2 hours after bed). tonight we had thanksgiving eve eve (my new made up holiday that is the tiniest of thanksgivings). made a roast chicken & gravy and sweet potato & cranberry quiche (it has a CRUST!). tasteeee. i am still, of course, holding out on that pumpkin pie. it's like my mega-reward (besides my baby) for keeping on with the program.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:51 PM

Ok, as some of you know, I was diagnosed with GD last week. I went for my diabetic counseling yesterday and met with the nutritionist and learned how to use the glucose meter that my midwife's office prescribed.

I am not happy with the One Touch Ultra 2! I cannot get a large enough blood sample out of my fingers, and I have the lancet set to 9! I am having to prick several fingers at each reading just to get a decent blood sample. I'm wasting a lot of test strips and my fingers hurt.

After doing some research the One Touch requires a 1.0 sample. I guess I am just not a "bleeder." I am now checking into the Freestyle meter because it only requires a 0.3 sample. I can get it free with rebate, and I called their toll free number and signed up for the Freestyle Promise program, which is free. Do any of you participate with this? It sounds like you get a discount on test strips with it. Their number is toll free 1-866-246-2683.

I am also starving. I am used to snacking throughout the day, and this carb counting business really stinks! I'm also worried I'm not going to get enough calories. I feel like I'm on a diet, and that goes against everything that seems right when you are pregnant. I may get some urine strips to check ketones to make sure I'm okay in that area. Are these all about the same? I understand they are OTC. LMK if there is a certain brand that is better or easier to use.

All of this is new to me, and I really appreciate the advice given in this support thread. I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving!

concadmom
due 2-20-09
Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 PM

My dietician gave me some tips to get blood - wash your hands in very hot water -this will bring the blood to the surface. Also, I put my arm below my waist, and basically push the blood down my arm into my hand. Maybe these will help?

Did you get a meal plan that included snacks? Mine included 3 snacks a day, about 2 hours after every meal. If she didn't a good balance is one carb and one protein.

On a side note, my insulin is up to crazy levels becuase I'm still not getting good fasting numbers in the mornings - ugh! And my best number was last night after dinner, after I had a cupcake for my birthday last night!!!! My blood sugar was 92!!! Go figure!!!!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:47 AM

So I thought I was "off the hook" because my midwife never called me back yesterday. The us office said there was no way I was getting in today and that my mw would need to call.

But she insisted today that I go back to the office for a nst, said if I had had the results at a doctors office they wouldn't have let me leave w/o checking my afl.

She told me that the baby can still be moving a lot if you have low fluid. I told her I needed her to trust me.

So the test was better than Monday not grat I guess her hb droped once but for less than 10 seconds. She measured me and said I was 35 ( but I was 37 on Monday ) she then said she was going to call to schedule me an us.

Then she examined me which made my lo move so she remeasured me at which I was back to 38.

She said she's just worried that Noelle isn't growing and she still wants my fluids checked.

So I have a mw apt Monday and us Tues, massage wed, acupuncture and chiro on Thursday.

I'm really praying for many personal reasons that I have her on Monday.

I
Old 11-27-2008, 05:25 PM

Concadmom - I always prick my finger, make sure I have enough blood and THEN put the strips in. After you've done it a few times it'll be easier to see when you have a big enough droplet and I find it less stressful to do this way since my meter has a 10 second window in which to put the droplet on and sometimes it takes more than one prick or I'm clumsy or whatever.

I second the wash hands in hot water advice, and rather than squeezing the blood towards my arm I just shake or swing them below my waist to get the blood to my fingertips.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010

User Tag List