Gestational Diabetes Support Group - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1310 Old 12-04-2008, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on glyburide, not insulin. 2x/wk is Kaiser's protocol. I should also add that for my whole pregnancy I've paid $100 (advance) hospital admission, $20 copay once, and $30 for my pills. I think other places don't insist on the 2x a week maybe because of the cost?
#482 of 1310 Old 12-04-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm on insulin, so I think that's why they want to do all the extra testing. I just don't see why they have to start at 32wks. But I'm also at risk because my first was a 27wk preemie due to pre-eclampsia and I'm attempting a VBAC. It's just the 26mi drive to the clinic and having to drag my 2y & 5y boys because I don't have any friends or family to watch them. It's really stressful!! Money is really tight and sometimes I have to decide between puttin gas in the car or food on the table. Food usually wins...
#483 of 1310 Old 12-07-2008, 04:09 PM

I was diagnosed with GD the week before Thanksgiving. My midwife called to tell me that I failed the one hour glucose test bigtime (209 while fasting). She set up an appointment with a diabetic counselor/nutrionist and a peri. I have been on the new diet and monitoring my blood glucose levels for the past two weeks, and so far my numbers are good.

I have not actually seen her in person since being diagnosed, but have my next appointment tomorrow. She is part of a large practice of OB's. Very nice lady, she delivered my last, but I'm getting the feeling that she is not up to par for a high risk pregnancy. This is also a post LEEP pregnancy for me, so I have a couple of issues going on. Thankfully, the LEEP does not appear to have caused any cervical issues, as my cervix is still measuring long according to a series of ultrasounds done weeks 16-25. But I still have concerns about possible scar tissue and it hampering my labor. She says she'll address that if I'm not progressing with dilation as I should.

What questions should I ask at the appt. related to the GD? I want to stay with her, but my husband is very concerned that perhaps I should switch to one of the actual OBs in the practice. I am currently 28 weeks.
#484 of 1310 Old 12-07-2008, 04:42 PM

concad - you should be asking what kind of prenatal care they give, what kind of medication they'd prescribe if your numbers get worse (it is typical that they do), how they expect delivery to go, what kind of interventions they use, etc.

I'd want to know in advance how they would plan to manage your delivery with the leep & gd - not when it comes up (which would, um, be, like when you're in labor, right??? do they just plan to throw you into a c-section with no advance warning?). oh and post-natal care of your baby is a huge issue.

you can read the whole thread, but i'll tell you that all of us have had different experiences. some are diet controlled, some use insulin, glyburide, metformin. some have had inductions, some won't, etc. some have had big babies with good BS control, and some have had regular size kids with bad BS control. your experience will depend on your exact medical condition and your hcp's routine.

mine has been very flexible. i'm on glyburide, i have good control, but my baby is getting big (i'm at 40w and we expected her to be here already). i've agreed to induce on saturday (OB wanted to do it like today/tomorrow). i'm actually relieved to be doing it on saturday and almost wish it was scheduled earlier (i'm physically fine, but emotionally very ready to be done with PG). but would be thrilled for baby to come out on her own!

baby come ooooout!
#485 of 1310 Old 12-08-2008, 05:12 PM

Brandy - That's so exciting that you'll be having your baby soon!

Concad - I would ask about having an A1C done. It will show your average blood sugar for the last couple months.

My 30wk appointment - Everything went fine, I managed to put off scheduling my next and the first round of NSTs. Also I switched OBs again! I heard some awful things about my OB at a BF support group meeting this weekend. Then I did some Googling and became even more concerned. Today she told me that if anything came up, she would induce right away. Then c/s if things were looking bad. Um I'm not comfortable with inductions as a VBAC! So anyways I'm supposed to see the new OB in two weeks, she apprenticed under my old OB who was very natural birth friendly. So I hope it works out...

My blood sugars are looking great! I dropped my bottle of insulin and broke it this weekend. With just eating low-carb I was able to keep my levels down without it. But I'm anxious to get a new bottle and actually EAT again, lol. I don't have to follow up with the diabetic clinic for a whole MONTH! Yay...
#486 of 1310 Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 PM

Hello All,
I decided to join the thread. Here's my history...

I had gestational diabetes with my daughter and kept it under tight control with diet and exercise. This time I started exercising and eat a tighter diet in the second trimester along with going to the gym. I think it was around 24 weeks I started to see some fluctuations in my numbers and just knew I had diabetes. Because I had it before I decided to skip the 1 hour and take the three hour so I could get a better picture of my blood sugars. Well, I passed with flying colors. So I let up a bit on my diet and dropped one day of exercise and didn't test much over a two week period. Then about a week ago I started testing and seeing numbers in the 160's if I ate too many/unhealthy carbs. Not sure what's going on....maybe glucose intolerance or a later diagnosis of diabetes but I'm back on the diet. Don't want to mess around with my babies health or growing a gigantic baby. So I keep my blood sugar to 120 after an hour which is what I was told before. If I exercise I have to eat every hour and find that if I want I can have a couple of cookies and be pretty liberal but if I don't exercise for a few days I have to be careful of my numbers.

Anyways, sorry it's so long. Just wanted to join the group because I have 7 +/- weeks of this diet left.

So what do you all do for breakfast? I like sausage and eggs are ok. I don't like cottage cheese and like most of you find that breakfast is hardest to control. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading,
Renee
#487 of 1310 Old 12-08-2008, 05:38 PM

oh yeah, the a1c can be helpful. although if you failed the test big time it might show that you've really had GD for a few months... i didn't have many dr's appts mid-PG, gained a bunch of weight, my 12 week 1 hr screen was actually borderline. i'm guessing that if i had had an appt in between 12 & 24 weeks they would have caught my weight gain and flagged it as GD! i stopped gaining weight as soon as my BS got under control.

mtx - sounds like you made a good decision with swapping OBs. when we went in last week my OB specifically said that she can't make me do an induction if i don't agree to it. which is true of course, but i thought it was the right attitude.

renee - lucky that you can keep such good control over your numbers! i like eggs & bacon for breakfast these days because i'm at home and have the time to mess with it. and bacon REALLY hits the spot for me (i get thick cut without the nitrates). i will eat it with a piece of toast with some SF jam. when i was working i liked to just grab a ready to drink protein shake. also worked well for travel.

i have my next OB appt tomorrow. i think last time she mentioned misoprosotol, which is cytotec. my research says to go with cervidil. if anyone would like to chime in on inductions, please do. i think tomorrow is the day to nail down what i want done. of course, she won't be doing my induction because of kaiser. blah.

BTW, we have done EVERYTHING. (besides cohosh, castor oil). although because DH is back to work, pulling 12 hr days, the sex has gone by the wayside.
#488 of 1310 Old 12-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions on what to ask at my first midwife appointment following my GD diagnosis. I am feeling a bit more comfortable with things now. My midwife says she has 3-4 other patients with GD currently, and about half are on oral meds and the other half are on track with diet control.

I see the peri for the first time Weds. I will inquire with them if I should get the A1C. I asked this morning if any of my urine samples showed sugar and only my 13 week checkup was out of wack, so hopefully I did just develop this at the 24-25 week point. I had a 6 pound gain in one month during that time, so I imagine that's when it started. And that's also when I started having excessive thirst and more frequent trips to the bathroom to pee!

My midwife said she would give me orders for a two hour glucose tolerance test at my 6 week postpartum checkup, but that she didn't expect that I would need to continue with glucose monitoring following delivery.

This is my third birth, and my previous two babies were large without GD, so they are watching me close. I hope to avoid a C-sec if possible.

I did get a Rx to switch to the Freestyle Lite. I'm actually doing okay with the Ultratouch 2 now, but I think test strips may be cheaper with the Freestyle under our insurance.

I hope baby comes soon for you Brandy!
#489 of 1310 Old 12-08-2008, 07:48 PM

I want to give birth so I can eat christmas cookies. Come out little baby and I'll give you a cookie too!
#490 of 1310 Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 PM

I'm going to the hospital in a couple of hours. They're going to break my water. They are worried about Noelle's size. Wish me luck I'm s nervous!!
#491 of 1310 Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Can't wait to hear about your birth and your baby!!
#492 of 1310 Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Candy - what a surprise! good luck! can't wait to hear about your baby!
#493 of 1310 Old 12-09-2008, 01:23 AM

Brandy, I don't remember exactly why, but I have on my birth plan from last time "no cytotec." IIRC, it can have some serious negative side effects. I'd suggest reading around a little, I can't remember the exact issues with it, but a lot of hospitals don't use it anymore.

Renee, I eat oatmeal for breakfast. I always have for the past 10 years, and nothing's going to make me give it up! I just measure it so it fits into my 30-carb breakfast limit. I also eat an egg so I can get more protein.

Discussing diet with DH last night, I told him if I had to choose between an Atkins diet or going vegetarian, I'd go vegetarian in a heartbeat. When I've tried to do low-carb diets just to lose weight in the past, I've been cranky and miserable. He, on the other hand, can't imagine giving up meat. Me, I could take it or leave it, especially when I'm pregnant.

Just needed to rant a bit about how I don't particularly like meat right now and can't eat soy, and dairy has too many carbs, and I'm freaking starving half the time and craving stupid stuff like shredded wheat. This baby can't come soon enough!

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
#494 of 1310 Old 12-09-2008, 05:45 PM

i posted part of this in Dec DDC chat but this is the extended version.

i am so mad! i went to my OB's appt today and i am still only 1cm dilated. i had more ctrx last week than this week and it shows! baby's fine, fluid's fine, NST is fine, but OB would like to induce today or tomorrow. we're sticking with saturday but i'm really upset about no progress. she's very afraid that i have a giant giant baby. i asked about the cytotec.

kaiser. doesn't. use. cervidil. this makes me furious! i'm hoping we can use the foley catheter. as far as i know the only reason to use cytotec is price, and it can be very dangerous. it's ridiculous.

i still feel the right thing to do is to do the induction, but with the utmost reluctance. i think between the size of the baby, that my body isn't really showing any signs that it's particularly ready for labor, that i'll end up with a c-section. i am not even prepared for that. i'm not even prepared for the induction. BLAH. very angry.
#495 of 1310 Old 12-09-2008, 06:10 PM

Hey Brandy, hang in there. You are in countdown mode now. Just try to maintain positive thoughts. I hope your delivery goes smoothly!

I am very frustrated with my numbers this week. I started the carb counting diet two weeks ago today and things were going great until yesterday. I haven't changed my diet, but my numbers are creeping up. I know a lot of you are on oral meds, and I'm afraid I may be headed that direction. It's not the end of the world, but obviously I was hoping to avoid it.

My fasting number yesterday and today was 95. Nothing alarming, but still just a tad over the 90 they recommended. I have been having a 16 oz. glass of milk before bed nightly for two weeks now, and only recently has this affected my morning reading. I did my milk at morning snack today, and will just do cheese and crackers tonight to see if that makes a difference.

What really has me mad is that I got my highest reading ever today after lunch. It was 146. I had a small Totino's pizza. I thought I was overdoing it, but I was seriously hungry (maybe b/c the milk for a morning snack wasn't enough!). Plus I am stressed because I have my first appointment with the peri tomorrow morning. I know stress can also raise numbers. Maybe that's what the past couple of days have been about.

Any insight as to what expect at the first peri appt? I'm taking my glucose meter and my food log. I have to go through hospital admitting and then to the appt. I also have to be there super early (8:15 a.m.). It's a half hour drive, I'll be driving in rush hour traffic, and we had snow today. Ugh!

How soon did they put some of you on oral meds? Also wondering if I might get a Level 2 sono...Just generally nervous about the whole "unknown".

I'm now 28 weeks.
#496 of 1310 Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 PM

i gotta make lunch and get my head back on straight, do some HB affirmations or something.

what really improved my numbers was eating so late that the minimum time needed for a fasting number was the time until i got up in the morning. i was sleeping too much. so now i get up an hour and a half after going to bed, eat a bowl of cereal, and my fasting is great. i was just going too long without food. milk during the day screws me up though and you might find another calcium rich alternative if you're doing it for the calcium.

i went on glyburide after a week or so of trying on the diet. i have had a couple level 2 USs in addition to the normal sex ID one earlier. once when i had low fluid, another for sizing, etc.

i never saw an OB perinatologist - just an NP in the perinatology department. she just went over the risks of GD etc. it was a positive experience for me, but since i'm on weeklies now with the OB i haven't seen her in a few weeks. the nurse service calls me every tues night and gets my #s.

i wouldn't get freaked about a high number occasionally if you know it's because of what you ate. just mark it with a C or something that you'll recognize that means "this number is because i ate too many carbs"

btw, i can successfully eat half of a papa murphy's thin crust pizza at dinner. so don't waste your carbs on totinos stuff and get some real pizza! (unless totinos is like the end all be all for you!)
#497 of 1310 Old 12-09-2008, 08:21 PM

Wow you girls are lucky if you can eat pizza. Pizza is bad bad bad for me. I actually seem to do better with sugary treats than greasy carbs. Eating out is a double no no for me. I don't know exactly what they do to the food in restaurants but the shoot my numbers up pretty high even if I have a lot of protein.

I wouldn't worry about a number of 146 in my experience that isn't all that high. Today, I was doing some reading on what a normal person blood sugar is and it said that normal blood sugar rarely goes above 140. That's at one hour and two hour readings. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just keep working at it.

Brandy, I hope all goes well with your labor and delivery. Sorry, I don't know your history but did you have an ultrasound indicating a large baby. I remember reading a lot of stories about scares of big babies and then they come out normal sized. Maybe this will be the case for you. Regardless, you are in the home stretches and will have your baby soon.
#498 of 1310 Old 12-09-2008, 09:32 PM

Brandy~Thanks for that! I can't imagine getting up 1 1/2 hours after going to bed and eating again though. I manage to stumble to the bathroom a few times overnight, but I think eating would give me horrible insomnia, not to mention heartburn! I may have to limit my milk intake and look for that alternate source of calcium. Sending you positive vibes that something happens tomorrow on the labor front.

Nixnux~I'm thinking you might be right about doing without the pizza from now on. I would much rather have some chocolate rather than pizza anyway. I can't believe I blew my numbers on a bargain pizza that wasn't even that good! No more Totinos for me. I have eaten out a couple of times, but I've only ordered salad and not eaten the bread or croutons that came with it. Take out is so salty, it makes my thirst even worse.
#499 of 1310 Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 PM

the food in restaurants has all those weird starches in it to make it hold together. i do better with getting a fast food hamburger than eating in a restaurant (unless, of course, it's a salad!). i try to avoid both!

pizza i can only do if it's thin crust. the papa murphy's is super thin and they don't skimp on the toppings, so it's manageable.

as for the chocolate, if you get it dark enough you can have more than enough to satisfy any junky food cravings. yum yum.

at this stage of pregnancy i found that i wake up every 1-2 hours during the night. i was just starving all night, waking up with elevated fastings. which led to more meds, which led to more lows (hypo), which led to eating more, etc etc.

i ate lunch and organized all my makeup. i feel better now. i finished organizing baby stuff a long time ago!! i guess that sounds a little OCD i bought a chest to organize said makeup, of which there is too much! at least it's all mineral makeup! merry xmas to me! half of it was in a cardboard box since we moved in may. like i'll wear any of it anytime soon, but it made me feel better

i've had a couple USs indicating big baby from different techs. they have been at 76%, so not huge, but baby isn't getting any smaller cooking in there. the upside is that the extra time has given her more lung development (a poss. problem with GD).

i just want to be left to my own devices in labor. with the induction they give you an IV right away (i seriously don't even want a hep lock). once they start in on all of it, you're flat on your butt trying to push out a 10 lb baby through your tailbone (for obvious reasons, impossible!). i'm hoping that i can get labor going before then. back to work on that now!
#500 of 1310 Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixnux View Post
I wouldn't worry about a number of 146 in my experience that isn't all that high. Today, I was doing some reading on what a normal person blood sugar is and it said that normal blood sugar rarely goes above 140. That's at one hour and two hour readings. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just keep working at it.
I agree, I think the blood sugar levels that they impose on pregnant women are far more strict than non-pregnant people with diabetes. I suppose there is another life to consider then, but still.

I asked this question in the birth professionals forum with no luck. Are there any Canadians here that can tell me what the pass/fail number is for the GTT? I know we have different standards than the US. Thanks

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#501 of 1310 Old 12-10-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
I agree, I think the blood sugar levels that they impose on pregnant women are far more strict than non-pregnant people with diabetes. I suppose there is another life to consider then, but still.
Yes, this is very true. A "regular", non-pregnant diabetic is supposed to have a fasting level of <115mg/dL (<6.3mmol/L), and a 2 hour post-prandial of <140mg/dL (<7.7mmol/L). Since I'm a T1, I was told that I need to have fastings of less than 95mg/dL (5.2mmol/L), and a 2 hour post-prandial of less than 120mg/dL (6.6mmol/L).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
I asked this question in the birth professionals forum with no luck. Are there any Canadians here that can tell me what the pass/fail number is for the GTT? I know we have different standards than the US. Thanks
I'm not Canadian, but I have your answer for you. I found a Canadian article that speaks of this subject, it only speaks of the 2 hour OGTT, with 75g of "glucola". What it says is this:

If fasting plasma glucose is ≥7.0 mmol/l (>125 mg/dl) and/or 2-hour plasma glucose is ≥7.8 mmol/l (≥140 mg/dl), this should be managed as diabetes.

The article I found was in Diabetes Voice, which is an international publication and it happened to have an article from 2006 on the Canadian guidelines for diabetes care/treatment during pregnancy.

Someone previously mentioned eating pizza... For some people the fat content of foods slows down the body's absorption of carbs. What this means (especially for me) is that I have to bolus for pizza and Chinese food over the course of 4 hours. Obviously this isn't something that people on oral meds can do, but if you're on insulin, you can count the carbs and then inject about 30% of your dose up front, then split the remaining 70% as a few injections over 3-4 hours. Yes, it's a pain to do, but it will cover you better than giving yourself an enormous dose of fast-acting that wears out before your stomach has emptied all of the food into your intestines.
#502 of 1310 Old 12-10-2008, 03:03 PM

Hi everyone,
I have been MIA, because Priscilla Rae arrived one week ago today, December 3rd at 11:07pm! It's been a busy, rocky week (we were sent home on Friday afternoon and then she was readmitted on Saturday for 24 hours under the lights to treat her jaundice) - but we've made it through and are doing well!

I can only give the short version of the birth story for now:
I had my successful VBAC!!! I was getting quite anxious about being induced with pitocin, so I tried everything in my powers to induce naturally (sex, EPO, RRL tea). My midwife swept my membranes on Tuesday, then on Wednesday I got really desperate and took some castor oil at 11am. I was in labor by 2pm and admitted to the hospital at 5 cm, 70% effaced, and -1 by 4pm. I was having quite a bit of trouble dealing with back labor this time, so I started asking about my pain management options at around 7pm. My midwife tried to encourage me that I was doing great, but I went ahead with the epidural. I never thought I would ever want one, but it turned out to be the best decision for me! It allowed me to relax and rest to prepare for the pushing. I think if I hadn't had it, I woudl have been exhausted and stressed and begging for a c-section by the end of it all. Just before the anesthesiologist came in to do the epi, my midwife checked me and I was 8cm! I began pushing at 10:30pm. I still had it in my head that I might push for a long time and still end up having a c-section, especially since the epi limited me to being on my back in bed. It wasn't until around 11pm, my midwife asked me to reach down and feel the head. I was so excited to then know that I would be having this baby vaginally!!! So I gave it all I got on the next push adn she was born. We got to cuddle her on my belly until the cord quit pulsing and she was so beautiful and alert. I have never felt so powerful as a woman or mother in my life! It was wonderful! Neither of us had any complications from the GD, except maybe her bought with jaundice (which could have also been from our rough start at BF. But we are going great now - she's nursing like crazy!

I'm getting conflicting opinions about whether I should be checking my blood sugar at all now that I'm not pregnant. If so, do you know what the numbers should be? Most everyone says not to worry at all about it until my 6 week checkup, but the endo said it wouldn't be a bad idea. And my MIL is driving me nuts, telling me I shouldn't be eating this or that and that I should be checking it... I don't want to - I'm enjoying my peaceful oblivion!
#503 of 1310 Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Priscilla was 7lb. 4.5oz. and 19.5" long. (Not the giant baby they had me worried about!)
#504 of 1310 Old 12-10-2008, 03:56 PM

Wow! Congrats!!! I may get desperate with the castor oil too. about tomorrow i think. Your birth sounds like it went just perfectly!!!

do you also have thyroid issues if i am remembering right? maybe you should give yourself a few pokes to make sure everything's ok. i can feel when my BS is high so... it's supposed to go away, unless you've developed type II diabetes. it would be easy enough to see - eat a bunch of carbs and test. but as far as i know, you should be able to eat whatever you want. it'll be pumpkin pie for me!

oh yeah, they want me to do the 3hr GTT at 6weeks. sorry, but F that. i'll stick my fingers. can you imagine going in and doing that with your 6 week old? sitting in the disgusting hospital waiting room with your newborn? GROSS.

i'm so glad that you went into labor early. i still have my fingers crossed for non-giant baby, but here i am at 40w3d!
#505 of 1310 Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 PM

binspired: congrats! That is awesome that things went so well for you guys.

I had my first appt. with the peri this morning. He is concerned that my fasting numbers are creeping up, despite my diet modifications. He wants to see me again in one week. If my numbers go above 100, they will put me on glyburide. Right now they are around 95 fasting.

He said it is pretty much inevitable that I'll have to go on it before the end of my pregnancy, but he hopes to keep me off until after the holidays.
#506 of 1310 Old 12-10-2008, 05:22 PM

Congrats binspired! Glad you had your vaginal delivery and a regular sized baby too.

concadmom - have you tried exercising at all. When I was pregnant with my daughter I was for 15 - 20 after each meal and that helped keep my levels lower. Maybe if you can get a little exercise in the evenings and a protein snack it will help improve your numbers. I know someone recommended this already but a middle of the night glass of milk might help. At the end, when I was really hungry in the middle of the night I would have milk and my fasting numbers would be about 76 when they were usually in the 80s. I don't like that your doctor told you it was probable that you would have meds by the end of your pregnancy. I didn't have to have any, I mean don't get me wrong, if you need them you need them. They are a blessing if you can't keep your numbers down. I took my a couple of weeks to figure out how my food was affecting my blood.

Brandy - I hope today is your lucky day.
#507 of 1310 Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 PM

Congratulations binspired! Glad to hear you and your little girl are doing well.

concadmom, I had the same problem as you this time around with my fasting numbers gradually getting higher. After a few weeks, I had to go on medication (metformin). Before it kicked in, I was getting fasting #'s near 100. Now, my fasting is reliably in the mid-80's. I was resistant to having to take medication at first, but I'm actually glad to have it now because I don't feel like I have to be so strict about counting carbs, it gives me a little leeway. (But, as I discovered yesterday, I still can't eat corn chips.)

Also, something that's good for calcium is kefir. It's a kind of yogurt drink that has lots of protein in it. It comes in different flavors, but those have a lot of sugar in them so I mix the flavored kefir with plain kefir half-and-half for a nighttime snack.

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
#508 of 1310 Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM

binspired, if you come back, please make a note of how much castor oil you took!

i took the dvds back and bought the castor oil. baby, we are getting SERIOUS about this coming out. still need to confer with DH but it was cheap and i wanted to have it on hand!

today was not my lucky day, but the sun is going down and everything seems to work better at night.
#509 of 1310 Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 PM

I seem to remember when I did castor oil last time it was 2 tbsp but we mixed it in with apricot juice, almond butter with 1ml of lemon virbena oil (supplied by my midwife). it wasn't SO gross that way and she swears by the lemon virbena oil for inductions, not sure why though. BUT, I had been in labour for a good 60hours by then and we were hoping that it would speed things along... I'm not really an advocate of castor oil without some good signs of labour already. Good luck if you try it!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#510 of 1310 Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 PM

yeah, i was thinking i might try like a teaspoon. i'm not really into the violence of several ounces. but i'll try it before going into the hospital on sat. if i'm ready, even a little bit might help. it seems really gross, but is it more or less horrible than inducing with cytotec & pitocin...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page