Gestational Diabetes Support Group - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 1310 Old 12-19-2008, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
muj-why don't you think it's a good think you're not on insulin anymore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 1310 Old 12-19-2008, 09:17 AM

It looks like I will probably be joining you ladies here. My Dr called last night and I failed my second 1 hour(I requested that I take the 1 hr twice). So, I'll be taking the 3 hour test today. I checked my sugar after 2.5 hours last night, after eating broccoli,baked salmon and a small portion of mashed potatoes, and water, my numbers came back at 118 this was at 9:30p.m. I didn't have anything to eat afterwards. This morning it was 94.
I'll definitely be coming back here to check out some of your recipes, or what you eat. The last time I had GD I was totally starving, but managed to keep my levels under control.
I'm so happy that I listened to my body and I wasn't satisfied with the results of my first 1 hr.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#543 of 1310 Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 AM

Brandy/Candy - glad you have your sweet babies! I'm starting to get SOOO nervous!!!

I'm on Novolog now and I haven't had any lows like I did on the NPH/regular. I'm so happy!!
#544 of 1310 Old 12-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Muj

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplez View Post
muj-why don't you think it's a good think you're not on insulin anymore?
I thought that it would indicate my placenta is ageing and so is not working at its best, even though its best was making me insulin dependent. Does that make any sense?
#545 of 1310 Old 12-19-2008, 04:02 PM

Muj-
I heard of the placenta aging from diabetes but never heard that your sugars get easier to control. My last pregnancy, my numbers got harder to control and I was 6 days late. It never got easier for me but my numbers were good the whole pregnancy. Maybe the insulin helped get your numbers under control and now they been controlled you can do it without. I've found that if my numbers get out of control it takes a few days to get them back to normal range. Once they are normal again I do fine as long as I'm eating well.

Hopefully, it's a good thing that you can do it without insulin. Although, I would like the freedom (a little more) that insulin provides I'm glad I don't have to be on it.

Jannah6 - sorry to hear you failed your test. I know I was starving last time too. This time my OB told me not to be too strict on myself (I'm not seeing a nutritionist this time) he said those nutritionist are very strict and have never been on this stinking diet themselves so they don't know how hard it is. I love my OB he is so relaxed about things.
#546 of 1310 Old 12-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoXane View Post
I'm on Novolog now and I haven't had any lows like I did on the NPH/regular. I'm so happy!!
Glad you finally got that changed! I hope you are feeling much better now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muj View Post
I thought that it would indicate my placenta is ageing and so is not working at its best, even though its best was making me insulin dependent. Does that make any sense?
While it sort of makes sense, it also makes sense that your numbers become more stable towards the end of your pregnancy as your hormone levels (your prolactin/progesterone levels) change and stops interfering with your insulin production.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#547 of 1310 Old 12-19-2008, 04:35 PM

Muj - My last pregnancy I only went on insulin for a couple weeks. From about 36wks on my numbers were all normal without it. I delivered at 40wks and there were some signs of aging, but nothing to be concerned about. HTH!
#548 of 1310 Old 12-19-2008, 04:43 PM

Hi ladies - i wanted to post a quick update. my baby's breastfeeding issues aren't c-section related after all. she's tongue-tied, just like me (and we have finally discovered why my mom was unsuccessful BFing me).

just wanted to make sure that people reading this thread knew that it had nothing to do with GD!
#549 of 1310 Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 PM

brandyk- glad to hear your bfing issues weren't gd related!
#550 of 1310 Old 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Muj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoXane View Post
Muj - My last pregnancy I only went on insulin for a couple weeks. From about 36wks on my numbers were all normal without it. I delivered at 40wks and there were some signs of aging, but nothing to be concerned about. HTH!
I was a worried about my numbers dropping and am more stressed out because my doctor wants me to get an induction as well. I have a endo appointment today though, so instead of going there crying I think I'll go with a little hope that he won't push me into the hospital and order me to deliver right away. Thanks guys.

Edit- Apparently endocrinologists only monitor your sugars, they can't tell you why you don't need insulin anymore or well, anything else.
#551 of 1310 Old 12-20-2008, 04:04 AM

Thanks Nixnux. I told my OB that I'm not doing the 3hr, I'll be changing my diet and checking my sugars at home.

#552 of 1310 Old 12-20-2008, 01:26 PM

OK, I am joining you all and I have a question.

HOW DO I GET MY KEYTONES DOWN? I am eating all the time and am able to keep my #'s down all day with diet. However, my fasting numbers and my keytones are too high.

They are better if I eat at night, but the nutritionist didn't like that idea.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#553 of 1310 Old 12-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Muj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahlgrd View Post
That's so odd- the differences in opinion. My dietitian specifically told me if I see anything but a negative for ketones in the morning to eat something later or extra before going to bed. My meal plan has a snack of two carbs and a protein after dinner and I haven't had ketones except for once when I missed the snack. But then again my problem was my after breakfast and lunch numbers, while I've heard some people just have trouble with their fasting numbers.

Oh and welcome Jannah6 and cdahlgrd.
#554 of 1310 Old 12-20-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahlgrd View Post
OK, I am joining you all and I have a question.

HOW DO I GET MY KEYTONES DOWN? I am eating all the time and am able to keep my #'s down all day with diet. However, my fasting numbers and my keytones are too high.

I don't understand why your nutritionist wouldn't want yo to eat at night if it brings your numbers down. Sometimes I think that they are too strict. Every woman is different and responds differently to different techniques and diets. I'd like to see one of them be pregnant, try to do this diet, and spend half their days starving by trying to follow the diets they set up.

Don't get me wrong I know that the diet is healthy and necessary but come on!

The only thing I could suggest that might help is exercising at night. I could not live without exercise while having diabetes. It does wonders for keeping my numbers under 120 after a meal, plus I can eat more frequently
#555 of 1310 Old 12-21-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixnux View Post
I don't understand why your nutritionist wouldn't want yo to eat at night if it brings your numbers down. Sometimes I think that they are too strict. Every woman is different and responds differently to different techniques and diets. I'd like to see one of them be pregnant, try to do this diet, and spend half their days starving by trying to follow the diets they set up.
: Sometimes your nutritionist doesn't know better at all. YOU do. It's your body, you know how you feel and what you respond to way better than them since you deal with it every day, not every week/month/whatever. Can you see someone else? Can you just not tell them what you are doing and just show your numbers and have them be happy with your good results?

And my question... WTF!!! Twice this week I've gone out and eating the wrong things and way too much and tested with numbers of 95 and 97. I was expecting something more in the range of >150 but was totally surprised with 95 and 97! Weird. But a half-bowl of pasta (45g or so) gives me 115-135 or so. aaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhh!!!

#556 of 1310 Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 PM

Kristen - I'm with you, WTF!! lol The last couple of days I've kept my carb count under 45g and had readings in the 150's, I even took my insulin! The other day I had pizza and garlic bread (bad I know), got a 155. Last night I had the same left over pizza with garlic breadsticks and I got a 114!! Then the other day we went to a friends house to eat. Hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans. I figured it was all pretty carb intensive so I skipped dessert and kept my portions small because I didn't have my insulin with me. Guess what I got? A low 122... I just don't get it!

We passed our first BPP!! Baby is doing great, 4lbs 2oz in 43rd % at 32wks. I'm up 4lbs in the last two weeks, yikes! Saw the perinatologist, he had no concerns and had me schedule my next visit in 6wks. Had my first appointment with the new OB and had a really good first impression, so glad I switched. Start my NSTs next week.
#557 of 1310 Old 12-24-2008, 04:07 AM

My total cholesterol was 118, HDL 48, LDL 54, and VLDL 16. I was very satisfied with the cholesterol numbers as I have lowered them. I'm assuming a low platelet level is a good thing but not entirely sure. The limits indicated that above 415 was high and that below 140 would be considered low. My aim is most favorable cardiovascular health. How can I lower with regard to cholesterol and platelets?
#558 of 1310 Old 12-26-2008, 05:50 AM

WOW well it's taken me quite a while to read this entire thread but it was well worth it and very helpful.

Quick intro-I'm Jen, from NY, mama to Mairi who just turned 4 last week, and Catriana, who was stillborn last year @ 41w. Expecting Eli in February-technically due @ the end of March, but will be induced a bit after 36w depending on amnio results etc.

I did not have GD with either of the girls, and they were both big. Both born (naturally, no induction) at 41w on the dot. I grow 'em big and grow 'em long, apparently Mairi weighed 9lbs 7oz and was 21 inches. Catti was 12lbs 8oz and 25 inches. I had both of them vaginally.

I am very proud of having Catti vaginally, even though she was huge and dead, so it was a hard labor, it was very empowering. They told me the morning of the day I had her( already in labor, found out she had died) that she was "Definitely 10lbs or less" and "you definitely are NOT physically capable of birthing a baby over 10lbs"

Guess they were wrong huh?

So on top of all THAT drama, I have heart condition that is caused by pregnancy-basically when I get pregnant, in the 3rd trimester, my heart starts to fail. (Peripartum Cardiomyopathy) It was really bad after I had Mairi b/c no one believed me that something was wrong. I got the patronizing "oh honey you are 24 and have never had a baby before, you just don't KNOW" and i am all "uh, i think i know i'm supposed to be able to BREATH..." but anyway, i relapsed slightly after i had catti, but nothing bad at all. both times my heart recovered after birth.

So here I am, expecting another little one, scared b/c of my 4848 different issues-heart failure, stillbirth, and now I get to add GD to my list! Awesome!! Don't y'all think I deserved a free pass this time around? Apparently not.

Soooo my OB rocks, and I love and adore him (was my OB last pregnancy, not first) and trust him fully. That's a rare thing I think with a high risk ob esp, but I am very grateful for his support.

B/c he's been totally anal to cover ALL bases b/c of stillbirth, I've been testing my sugars since July, when I found out I was pregnant @ 4w+. 4 times a day, and they have been totally normal and perfect until a few weeks ago.

I was on no diet, but we eat 90% organic and all raw/whole foods, no refined white crap. Too bad when I was pregnant the first time, I ate SO horribly, I won't even tell you...ok fine I will. Fast food, aspartame crap, processed stuff, eating out all the time, etc. Evil. And no GD. But this time, i am so healthy and alas, it matters not.

B/c I have a history of big babies without GD, my ob is being quite proactive. Failed the one hour (took it a bit early-i'm just 28w today) and failed the 3hr after that, 2 weeks ago. Did 1 week on a diet, numbers weren't changing, so he started me on insulin this week. Numbers till not doing much, but, well, it is xmas, so who knows. I don't think this week reflects an accurate picture of my overall daily life, heh.

I am being induced so early b/c of my many risk factors-really having big babies, heart failure (that's the main one, my cardiologist would have a heart attack himself if i went past 37w LOL), my own emotional sanity, b/c the closer I come again to 41w, the less sanity i have ), and now the whole GD thing.

So there's me in a big nutshell.

JEN, Hoopdancin' mama to Mairi Elizabeth 12/04, Catriana Quinn stillborn 41w 1/07 and our rainbow Elijah Asher 3/09, wife to Keith for 9 years.
#559 of 1310 Old 12-26-2008, 10:30 AM

Hi Jen, wow you have so much on your plate. I thought my pregnancy was a roller coaster ride. I'm hoping for a safe delivery for you and your DS.

#560 of 1310 Old 12-26-2008, 11:18 PM

hi ladies - my #s were easier to control in the last 5 weeks of my pregnancy. it does happen!

anyways, wanted to update ppl on something to look out for. i got this weird thing on my belly a week before i delivered. i went in about it this past week - i got a skin infection (cellulitis). my skin looked like chicken skin where the infection was. so be aware that gestational diabetes can make you more susceptible to weird infections like this.

besides that, my recovery is great. baby still refuses to breastfeed so we are formula feeding and supplementing with expressed breastmilk. i'm very disappointed about that but i'll be ok with it (again, not a GD thing, a tongue tie thing).
#561 of 1310 Old 12-28-2008, 06:57 PM

Hi Ladies, I'm almost 30 weeks and was just diagnosed with GD last Monday. I'm very doubtful, but am really having trouble getting answers to my questions so far -- questioning the results seems to trigger guilt trip responses like I don't care about my baby. At most I think I am borderline, if that.

I failed the 1 hour test at 144 -- wasn't told to fast but to have a non-sweet breakfast an hour before. Not realizing the importance of carbs at the time, I, of course, had white toast with my breakfast. My 3 hour test numbers were 95 fasting (they had me load up on carbs for 3 days before the test), 157 at 1 hour, 157 at 2 hour and 118 at three hour. Does this make sense?? My 1 hour and 3 hour numbers are really good, but the 2 hour is exactly the same as the 1 hour? I haven't gotten a chance to talk to a doctor yet, but the nurses so far just give me "because your insulin isn't working right" response without any real explanation. To make matters worse, my OB, who I loved, moved to Florida 3 days before I got my results, so the doctor I will see tomorrow I have never seen before.

I've been testing my blood sugar four times a day since Tuesday and all have been really good except for one breakfast where I remembered milk as being lower in carbs that it actually is and accidentally went over the allowed 30g. My fasting numbers have ranged from 77 at the lowest to 88 at the highest.

Anyway, it's not the testing or the diet that really concerns me. I really am upset about being labeled "high-risk" now and them right away wanting to schedule an ultrasound to determine weight. I've already decided to decline that unless my numbers or weight become uncontrolled. I've read that they really aren't very accurate. I started out about 135 (5'7") and have gained about 20 lbs. I figure at the rate I'm gaining now, I'll end up gaining a total of about 26ish lbs. I had a little weight spike one month but every other visit has been perfect according to the OB. I'm just really concerned that they are going to pressure me to induce or even send me to a different practice/hospital to give birth because my OB had told me earlier when we were discussing the c-section rate of the hospital here that they send high risk patients to a different hospital a half hour away from me.

Anyway, sorry to go on and on. This is just really stressing me out!
#562 of 1310 Old 12-29-2008, 12:39 AM

Deco, can you do the test again? The two hour test results don't look right, and (in Canada at least) you only "fail" the test if you "fail" two or more numbers... you only failed one right? (unless the fasting number counts as a fail too, but really the fasting numbers may be high according to them, but 95 is pretty normal and really good IMO).

#563 of 1310 Old 12-29-2008, 12:12 PM

Deco, those numbers wouldn't qualify you for gd as far as my list goes. you sound fine.

i am back. i had given up listening to the dietician about no snacks at night and was just going to lie. However, then suddenly my keytones backed way off to just a trace and a negative with just snack at bedtime, but nothing at night. . . . Then I got a stomache bug!!!!!

now I am starving, my fasting numbers are high again because I can't excersise, AND my keytones are high no matter how much I eat (which isn't too much because I am still a little queezie (sp?)). AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

However, I am having some contractions and baby has definitly dropped, so I expect to have a baby in the next week or 2, so hopefully all this fuss will be for moot!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#564 of 1310 Old 12-29-2008, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the comforting words. I saw my new OB today, and feel much better now. He doesn't consider me high risk -- he just wants to watch my numbers to be on the safe side and feels there is no reason to schedule another ultrasound unless something changes. All I really wanted was for someone to actually listen to my concerns and answer my questions!

I'd rather not go through the test again. I'm not sure how good an idea it is for baby to keep drinking that stuff over and over. Now just to get through the Diabetic clinic appointments cause those people stress me out, but the OB says we can probably cut back on those too if everything "stays boring".
#565 of 1310 Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 PM

OMG what a day... I had my first non-stress test scheduled for 9am. They get me all hooked up and tell me it should only take 10-15mins. Then "trouble" began...

First 15min - Non reactive heartrate

Second 15min - Got buzzed, he kicked, non reactive HR

Third 15min - Got another buzz, drank some juice, no change

Fourth 15min - Ate some crackers, still no change

So the nurse comes in and tells me that I failed the NST and they're sending me over to the hospital for further monitoring. I go to Urgent Care on the L&D floor and get checked in. After all the paperwork I'm again hooked up to the monitors.

First 15min - Slightly reactive heartrate

Second 15min - Non reactive heartrate

So the OB comes in and tells me I failed the NST and so they're going to do a BPP. Apparently my fetal heart monitor strip looked ok, just not reassuring since it wasn't reactive.

BPP results were Breathing - Good!, Fluid - Good!, Movement - Good!, Reflexes - Good!, Heartrate - Stable. So he passed! They told me to come back if there are any changes in fetal movement or if I sense something is not right. Otherwise he's good for the next week.

I finally walk in the door, home just EIGHT hours after I left! My "quick" NST took all freaking day...
#566 of 1310 Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 PM

Wanted to jump in and say hi!I'm on baby 6 and the second pg w/gd.I am so glad to find this thread.I've been struggling a lot w/the gd this time around and was looking for somewhere to get advice/support.

I am going to try and read thru the posts here before I start asking ?s maybe some have already been answered!

Just a few basics on me: Had gd w/ds4 but wasn't treated long before I had him early @ 34 wks-that was unrelated to the gd. I was tested early this time (20 wks) and failed worse than last time. I'm @ about 25 wks now.Have been having one high result each day and am struggling w/being hungry all the time.

I am just sooooo glad to have found this! :
#567 of 1310 Old 12-30-2008, 07:47 PM

Hi ladies,
I was wondering when you dietician has you testing. Do you test 1 hour or 2 hours after eating. Last time I tested 1 hour after the first bite of eating and it needed to be below 120. I remember reading some ladies would test after 2 hours. What are you doing and do you think it makes a difference?

Sorry, I'm asking because I'm on my own this time. I'm not seeing a nutritionist this time because I passed my three hour test with flying colors but still have sugar intolerances. My doctor agreed to just let me test on my own.

Welcome to the new ladies. Sorry you have to be here but hopefully you find some support.

Renee
#568 of 1310 Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 PM

I am testing 4 times daily- fasting am, and 2 hrs after each meal.I eat 6 times daily bkfst 2 carbs (really only 1),am snack (2 carbs),lunch (3 carbs),pm snack same as am, dinner (3 carbs),bed time snack same as others.When I say carbs I mean carb servings (15g of carbs per serving).

The results should be under: 95 for fasting,and 120 after meals,if I have to test an hour early under 140.
#569 of 1310 Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
Wanted to jump in and say hi!I'm on baby 6 and the second pg w/gd.I am so glad to find this thread.I've been struggling a lot w/the gd this time around and was looking for somewhere to get advice/support.

I am going to try and read thru the posts here before I start asking ?s maybe some have already been answered!

Just a few basics on me: Had gd w/ds4 but wasn't treated long before I had him early @ 34 wks-that was unrelated to the gd. I was tested early this time (20 wks) and failed worse than last time. I'm @ about 25 wks now.Have been having one high result each day and am struggling w/being hungry all the time.

I am just sooooo glad to have found this! :
You sound like me s

#570 of 1310 Old 12-31-2008, 02:19 PM

Me again. I was put on Glupride a few weeks ago for my fasting number. Yesterday I saw a different Dr who put me on it 2x a day because he did not like my breakfast and lunch numbers(2 weeks of numbers had one 150 and 4 138) So today I take my am one. Had a waffle got 122 had my morning snack of cheese and crakers an hour later I felt dizzy and clamy and like passing out. Checked my blood sugar and it was at 68. So I drank about 2 oz of regular soda and am now eating my lunch. I feel better but I am concerned that I may drop a lot as aside from those 5 numbers the rest have been low.(110-120 1 hr post meal.)
Ok I just had lunch A frozen pizza and the rest of the can of coke. After one hour my number was 94

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page