Mothering Forum banner

Gestational Diabetes Support Group

99K views 1K replies 168 participants last post by  janenedalrymple 
#1 ·

Well this is a thread/group for anyone dealing with GD on any level. Newly Dx'd, had it before, have it again or lookign at the possibility of dealign with it. Whoever you are - regardless of whether you HAVE GD or support someone (mother, sister, Daughter, Client) with it. This (I hope) can be a place for you to vent, bitch, whine, complain, share, support, give hope to, give suggestions to or whatever for whoever/whenever/whatever issue you might have that is related to GD and it's complications and concerns.

Be blessed.

This spawns from my recent Dx of early onset GD (I'm 11w2d) and was Dx'd two weeks ago when I failed my GTT with a number of 188.

See less See more
#602 ·
mythreesonz-I'm sorry to hear and wish I had some words of wisdom for you but I have as of yet to need meds.All I can do is offer you a big
.I am just speculating here but maybe the meds take a few days/week to really kick in? dk- does anyone else know if the meds take time?

I am finding the high and lows are so bad-emotionally that is.I've been struggling since finding out about my gd and what to do with all of my ?s.I really feel that my medical team has left me hanging and are wait and see kinda people- which is seroiusly bugging me.This is my health and that of my baby and the stress its causing is not good for either of us!

Right now I am so stressed with myself.I've been having a good last few weeks-test results staying below where they need to be and only 3-4 high ones total.Much better than before when I was having a least one a day everyday!

So I work only on the weekends-I am a server and am running around 5-6 hours on sat and suns.I try to keep to my diet and do pretty well but this we was horrible! After I was done w/work I'd eat lunch and then my results were way high for both lunch and dinner-I was actually eating a carb serving less at lunch than I am sopposed to because this has become a routine and am trying to find solutions.Sun I tried eating a carb an hour to keep my blood sugars up and it did help my results were only a little high (124-should be under 120) but lunch carb consisted of the bottom of a bun of a burger.Then after dinner 87 I only had a bowl of cheese broccoli soup and a steak.

I can do this when I am not working- keep w/in levels but at work I don't know what to do! And am so frustrated feeling like i've got no one to ask.I'm thinking maybe its time to stop working and concentrate on our health but that brings the added stress of loss of income!

I'm sorry this is sooo long and venting!

#603 ·
I have a ? for everyone.. Does anyone else run out of test strips? Does anyone know how to get "extras"?

I get 4 bottles of 25 test strips each month= 100 test strips.I have to test 4 times daily so doing the math 4 X 7= 28 test strips needed a week. 4 weeks in a month = not enough for each month. I can refill w/my insr. every 26 days so in theory I should be able to get thru but this month will run out 2 days before I can refill again.

I'd like to buy one extra box (will pay for it out of pocket) so I can can be ahead and have room to do retests or just to test if I feel off.Does anyone know anything about this? Does anyone else have this problem?

#604 ·
Fairymom - you should be able to just go to the pharmacy and ask for the strips if you are paying out of pocket. It is not a drug, you don't need a prescription to get them, you need the prescription to get them AND have any hope of insurance covering them. HTH.

#605 ·
Yay for a healthy delivery!

MTS - Call your doctor! You should not be going that low, you need to have your meds or diet adjusted.

Welcome new members!

Fairymom- My DC prescribed 150 strips a month. The endo who had me testing 8x a day prescribed 300 a month. Since strips cost about $1 EACH, I would talk to your doctor/insurance about changing the prescription to get as much coverage as possible.

I cancelled my NST this morning. I just can't deal with it today. Baby is moving fine and I'm not having any issues. Yesterday was not so great. I got orange chicken and even doubling my insulin got a 168. I can't wait for this baby to be born!

I went to a baby shower for a friend from church. Her EDD is just two days before mine, but she has a c/s scheduled for 38wks. So she will have her baby in just three weeks or less and I have five weeks or less. I wish I had a shower, it would make me feel a little more prepared. Since I lost my job in July and hubby's hours have been cut in half, I haven't been able to buy anything for the baby.

#606 ·
Hi everyone! I've been busy reading thru most of this thread before I posted. Im Tricia - newly diagnosed, 19 weeks, 2nd pregnancy, 2nd time with GD. I failed the 1 hr test with a reading of 172 and they told me i could skip the 3 hr if i wanted and just diagnose me now. Which i was ALL for. I had to do the 3 hr twice my last pregnancy b/c the first time i nearly passed out in the waiting room in between hours and they had to give me food to "revive" me. So needless to say, Im back on the GD train! I controlled it with diet and exercise last time - only went on glyberide for a little while and then went off it b/c it made me jittery and made my heart race like crazy! So i just had to work out more to get my numbers down and am hoping to do the same thing this time.

Here are my questions, if thats ok!

I tend to be pretty low with my fasting numbers and get to the point where i feel really faint while im waiting for my breakfast to hurry up and get done! So my question is - is my evening snack just not doing it for me? I had one before bed last night and then when my 2 yr old woke me up in the middle of the night, i could feel that i was "low" and came down to the kitchen to eat. Would you suggest some sort of "good" carb or should it be a protein that would help the most? I dont want to have my bs dip down when im sleeping and be even worse by the time i get up. And how does it work - does anyone know? Like, should the number be high-ish (like for example 140) and then just slowly trickle down all thru the night, or is it supposed to be one stable number - like for instance, 110? Just curious if anyone knows. I hope that made sense.

I feel hungry a lot during the day, but feel like i should just shun carbs completely. i do make sure that i have them at scheduled snack times, but feel hungry in between. Do you all just do protein if you are hungry in between meals and snacks?

I'm using old test strips (from my last pregnancy). Do you think that that matters? Im just using them until i can get in with the dietician (not until a week from today).

I think thats it for now. My son is wanting me to come play! so i better go!

Thanks ladies! I was so happy to have found this support group cuz there are days when i am feeling waaaay low about having GD and it will be nice to jump on here when im having one of those days!

#607 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrishTheDish View Post
I tend to be pretty low with my fasting numbers and get to the point where i feel really faint while im waiting for my breakfast to hurry up and get done! So my question is - is my evening snack just not doing it for me? I had one before bed last night and then when my 2 yr old woke me up in the middle of the night, i could feel that i was "low" and came down to the kitchen to eat. Would you suggest some sort of "good" carb or should it be a protein that would help the most? I dont want to have my bs dip down when im sleeping and be even worse by the time i get up. And how does it work - does anyone know? Like, should the number be high-ish (like for example 140) and then just slowly trickle down all thru the night, or is it supposed to be one stable number - like for instance, 110? Just curious if anyone knows. I hope that made sense.
Hi Trish -- I was having some issues with my fasting numbers being too low (around 65-67) and I found having "good" carbs, like a bowl of Shreddies or fibre-grain shredded wheat with milk, helped get them up a bit, to around 75-77 range, which the nurse educator was happy with. When I did too much protein my fasting numbers would be too low and mornings were miserable. Hope that helps a bit.

#608 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tak View Post
Hi Trish -- I was having some issues with my fasting numbers being too low (around 65-67) and I found having "good" carbs, like a bowl of Shreddies or fibre-grain shredded wheat with milk, helped get them up a bit, to around 75-77 range, which the nurse educator was happy with. When I did too much protein my fasting numbers would be too low and mornings were miserable. Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks! That does help! I will give that a try. I had been doing cereal with soy milk b/c i thot that maybe the cereal would be too much carbs and by having the soy milk, that that would be protein and less carbs. But maybe i'll try regular milk tonight and see how that goes. Do you usually measure out your cereal for your before bed snack or just do whatever. I felt like the one cup serving might have been too small too. This is all trial and error, i realize, which is what is so dang frustrating about it!

#613 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrishTheDish View Post
Thanks! That does help! I will give that a try. I had been doing cereal with soy milk b/c i thot that maybe the cereal would be too much carbs and by having the soy milk, that that would be protein and less carbs. But maybe i'll try regular milk tonight and see how that goes. Do you usually measure out your cereal for your before bed snack or just do whatever. I felt like the one cup serving might have been too small too. This is all trial and error, i realize, which is what is so dang frustrating about it!
I don't measure. I probably take more than a cup and I use skim milk just because that's all I ever have on hand.

I went for an ultrasound and NST today and the baby is small! I'm 36w 1d and they said the babe is about 5lb 10oz, so in the 10-15th percentile. My fluid levels were actually a bit low and the doctor suspects it may be because my sugars have started to drop lately. I'm not on insulin so lord only knows why they're dropping, but they are. Today I ate just fine and I had a full-on hypoglycemic episode -- my blood glucose dipped to 49. The baby, however, still kicks and tumbles like an acrobat football star and passed the NST just fine!

I go back on Monday for another US to check fluid levels and a NST. I have a feeling my body is preparing to wind this pregnancy down early. Gack!

#614 ·
I posted this in a new thread and then saw this thread -- maybe someone subscribing can help me out:

For the past 3-4 weeks my bloodsugar levels have been higher than normal. I keep track of them myself. In early 2nd tri I was always in the 70s-80s no matter when I tested. I started testing because I felt hypoglycemic back then and wound up gaining like 30 lbs in 6 weeks time due to needing sugar every two hours.

Anyway, my fasting BS level has been 95-101 lately. Well it was 101 this morning and I decided to cut out 90% of my carbs. I ate breakfast of fried eggs and avocado... one hour later my BS was 106... does that sound right?? Then for lunch I had a very small serving of cheese tortellini and larger servings of sausage and boiled shrimp. Two hours later my BS was 96.

This is the first time I've cut out the carbs so much, but normally my 1 hr is much much higher than the fasting(120-130s) and the two hour test(110s+).

Any insight? Ive been doing a lot of reading, but what does it mean when your numbers drop so much lower after having been high for weeks? TIA

Also, I have been feeling much much better physically today than I have in weeks.

#615 ·
There is a certian point in pg when levels rise (so said around 30 wks) and stay high for a cpl of weeks then fall again towards the end of pg.

how far along are you?this could be the case.

I can't wait to get past this point trying for now not to need drugs and do it w/diet.If i can get past it w/o I'll feel like I'm home free.

Congrats tak on the small babe-my ds4 was born at 34 weeks and weighed 5lbs 12oz (had gd w/him too)!If he'd been born on time and had gained the usual 1/2 lb a week would've weighed close to 9 lbs.

#616 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
There is a certian point in pg when levels rise (so said around 30 wks) and stay high for a cpl of weeks then fall again towards the end of pg.

how far along are you?this could be the case.

I can't wait to get past this point trying for now not to need drugs and do it w/diet.If i can get past it w/o I'll feel like I'm home free.

I'm 31 weeks now... my fasting bs was 87 this morning... maybe I don't have gd after all... it was higher than normal for me from 27 to 31 weeks.

#617 ·
I'm going in for my 36wk check this afternoon. I'm so nervous! lol. I'll get an NST (feeling a little guilty about skipping one earlier this week), my GBS test, and my first internal exam. I'm hoping they can schedule me for a BPP next week instead of 2x NST since I'm due for a growth u/s anyway. My last scan was at 32wks, I'm anxious to see how he's growing and check fluids levels and such. Just last week I was measuring just 33cm, so I'm wondering if he's dropped or what. Sigh...

My numbers have been looking really good overall. They've dropped across the board to below 120's. However my few out of range numbers have been really high, like 180's with no real explaination! I'm seeing the light though, not much longer...

#619 ·
Momtoxane-
Congrats on getting so close. You have been at this for sooo long. With my first I had GD and this time I have glucose intolerance. I still test my blood sugars and keep it 120 after 2 hours but it has been easier this time. Still looking forward to eating a big bowl of pasta with french bread and not worrying about growing a big baby. Oh, and of course a Brownie or chocolate! Yummy.

I only have 9 days left until my due date. Yeah!!

Hello to all the new ladies. Sorry you have to be here but hopefully you'll get some good info and help from ladies that have been through it before.

elephantine-
I posted on the other thread but it doesn't sound like you have GD to me unless you did a big carbo load and got high numbers but 130 is not high. Your fasting numbers are a little high but you might be able to take care of that by upping your protein and eating only healthy carbs.

#620 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tak View Post
I don't measure. I probably take more than a cup and I use skim milk just because that's all I ever have on hand.

I went for an ultrasound and NST today and the baby is small! I'm 36w 1d and they said the babe is about 5lb 10oz, so in the 10-15th percentile. My fluid levels were actually a bit low and the doctor suspects it may be because my sugars have started to drop lately. I'm not on insulin so lord only knows why they're dropping, but they are. Today I ate just fine and I had a full-on hypoglycemic episode -- my blood glucose dipped to 49. The baby, however, still kicks and tumbles like an acrobat football star and passed the NST just fine!

I go back on Monday for another US to check fluid levels and a NST. I have a feeling my body is preparing to wind this pregnancy down early. Gack!

The same thing happened to me with my 1st pregnancy - during the last month - my sugars dropped off and went back to normal. So consider yourself lucky, is what they told me!

#621 ·
Ok I am having a really bad time of it lately- am depressed and angry and just done!All of which is wrapped up in my GD.

I'm so tired of the roller coaster and want off.I've been struggling w/this since day one and a some hope for about 2 weeks that i could it- was having good results that whole time.Now I'm going down hill again. This past week has been so bad. And there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel- still have 3 weeks till 30 weeks and will be at the high point before the down hill again before birth. I've even started counting the weeks till lo can be born safely- 10 weeks!

I'm at the point of saying sc**w this and just living normally. All the info I have is so alarmist as to the affects of not following the diet and has me scared and stressed but the stress I feel at "failing" and not doing it right even on the diet is just as stressful maybe more!

I don't know what to do- and don't really have any medical help to ask other than my mw (which I see wed and will be taking to about this- and the stress it's causing me).

Can anyone really tell me the neg of not following the diet (but still eating right- maybe just not testing and letting myself drink milk eat yogurt)?

Help please I'm feeling so lost and alone right now (not that dh isn't supportive but he can't really inderstand and is lost too-he wants whats best for me and babe but hates to see me suffering like this). I just want to cry!
:

#622 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
Ok I am having a really bad time of it lately- am depressed and angry and just done!All of which is wrapped up in my GD.

I'm so tired of the roller coaster and want off.I've been struggling w/this since day one and a some hope for about 2 weeks that i could it- was having good results that whole time.Now I'm going down hill again. This past week has been so bad. And there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel- still have 3 weeks till 30 weeks and will be at the high point before the down hill again before birth. I've even started counting the weeks till lo can be born safely- 10 weeks!

I'm at the point of saying sc**w this and just living normally. All the info I have is so alarmist as to the affects of not following the diet and has me scared and stressed but the stress I feel at "failing" and not doing it right even on the diet is just as stressful maybe more!

I don't know what to do- and don't really have any medical help to ask other than my mw (which I see wed and will be taking to about this- and the stress it's causing me).

Can anyone really tell me the neg of not following the diet (but still eating right- maybe just not testing and letting myself drink milk eat yogurt)?

Help please I'm feeling so lost and alone right now (not that dh isn't supportive but he can't really inderstand and is lost too-he wants whats best for me and babe but hates to see me suffering like this). I just want to cry!
:
I know how you feel.... although it is important to stick to a strict diet, and watch everything you eat, although I know it sucks. Just remember it is for the health of your baby. I too am angry and upset about the GD, but I can not control it.... it is something that just happens. Hugs... it will get better.

#623 ·
just sending you some *hugs* and advice.

I tried the diet only at first dx but after a week of numbers not coming down enough, my OB put me on insulin. at first i was really pissed and upset about it, and felt like a failure.

but actually, insulin is a really great idea. GD is so specific to each person (some can eat this, some can't, there is no one size fits all diet) and by the time you can really figure out the diet, your pregnancy is over. it's honestly not worth the stress. so i am not sure if you are on insulin or not, but if not, and diet isn't working and it's too stressful, maybe considering going that route.

I don't really FEEL any different since starting the diet/insulin (over a month) but I think that's b/c I ate really well anyways, just not the right quantities/food pairing etc (ie i don't eat processed stuff, or eat out, etc)

So anyways, here is my short advice, and if you want to PM or email me, I'm so more than happy to help anyway I can.

First of all, always pair carbs and protein. Never, EVER eat carbs alone. It'll spike your blood sugar, Eating protein with it will help slow the absorption of carbs into blood sugar. I try to always eat at least half as much protein as carbs, if not more (Ie 30g of carbs with 15+g of protein)

I would be happy to give you a list of things I eat-I eat a lot of Kashi products, as they are VERY high in protein/lower carbs, and very filling. The only thing I don't like is their frozen meals, LOL. I drink their meal shakes, "granola" bars, pizza, crackers, etc. I find it easier to stick to a diet when I have prepackaged stuff with easily labeled carb/protein amounts.

Also the insulin is nice in another way, b/c I am not locked down and stressed out by ONLY my food choices controlling my insulin. I've had a few splurges (PIZZA, real, evil pizza, LMAO) and my blood sugar has stayed in range and under control. So it's nice to feel like I have a little freedom and leeway and I CAN have a little treat here and there.

HTH, and again, don't hesistate to email or pm me!

#624 ·
Bad days are inevitable! You're only human. I've done both, sticking to the diet and skipping a test or two. Or giving into my cravings and making sure to document them. Also just talking about how stressful it all is helps. I was diagnosed at 10wks, put on insulin at 22wks, and I'm almost full term now! I know it isn't easy, you know the goal is to have a healthy baby. Of course nothing worth having is ever easy! Hang in there...

#625 ·
fairymom-
I'm so sorry you are going through this but know that you are not alone. I had weekly cry sessions when pregnant with my daughter because I was starving and tired of eating the same thing all the time.

Maybe tell us some of things you are doing/eating so we can try to help pin point some things. When you say you have a bad day or hard time what does that mean. Are you getting numbers in the 180's - 200's or are you only 10 points over. Are you being to hard on yourself or is it really out of control?

The things I recommend that worked for me was a lot of exercising and eating very regularly. Like if my blood sugar was 120 after an hour and I was hungry I would eat again and after an hour it would still be under 120. I found if I got to hungry I had to be very careful because it would shoot my numbers up very easily even if I ate according to the diet. For me milk was evil I had to try and squeeze little bits of it in everyday.

You can do this and it's very important to baby that you try your hardest. My friend had GD that went undiagnosed and her baby was a fat 10 lbs and had a hard time breathing after birth. He was very blue and mucousy like he had a cold.

If you need some of us to list what we are eating to help provide something new than we can give some ideas.

Hang in there.

#626 ·
i have to eat and drink nothing after 830pm tonite to do the 3 hr blood glucose test tommroow. i am gonna be a pin cushion. please pray everything comes back normal. o and can i drink water after 830pm tonite. they said no drinking. does that include water? o and i am 34 wks 4days tommorow. my 1 hr level was 146

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.