Gestational Diabetes Support Group - Page 29 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#841 of 1310 Old 03-25-2009, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BHappy, it seems weird to me that they are testing so early. My understanding is that early in pregnancy what they would find is pre-existing (non-pregnancy related) insulin resistance or type II diabetes, b/c before the placenta matures its not affecting your body enough to throw off your blood sugar metabolism. Do they plan to test again later in pregnancy if you are normal? What happens if you refuse? You should ask if you self-monitor whether they will automatically classify you as GD (thats what they would have done with the medical practice I am seeing for co-care).

And, as I am sure you already know, the 1-hour test has a high rate of false positives.

dissertating mom to three

#842 of 1310 Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 AM

So last night i had my highest result ever! my 2 hr after dinner was 153 (supposed to be under 120) when i 1st tested so I tested again right away (couldn't believe the #, didn't feel it was high like i can most of the time) and got a 173! I thought maybe the meter was off- has happened before and tested the meter ans that came back high so got a differnt bottle of test strips and retested machine- came back good so tested my blood again- 168! Hello WTH. Dinner was 1 cup of Broccoli cheese soup w/ham- supposed to be 24 gm of crabs, 1 slice of french bread about 1 inch thick, a salad w/ceasar dressing. so when i totaled it out it was like 3 carb servings maybe actually a little less. I don't know what was going on, hoping fasting will be fine this am. But the + side I'm 37 wks today! Babe can come anytime! :

Ok fasting this am 91. that's fine just needs to be under 95. I'll have a light breakfast and watchwhat I eat today.
#843 of 1310 Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
So last night i had my highest result ever! my 2 hr after dinner was 153 (supposed to be under 120) when i 1st tested so I tested again right away (couldn't believe the #, didn't feel it was high like i can most of the time) and got a 173! I thought maybe the meter was off- has happened before and tested the meter ans that came back high so got a differnt bottle of test strips and retested machine- came back good so tested my blood again- 168! Hello WTH. Dinner was 1 cup of Broccoli cheese soup w/ham- supposed to be 24 gm of crabs, 1 slice of french bread about 1 inch thick, a salad w/ceasar dressing. so when i totaled it out it was like 3 carb servings maybe actually a little less. I don't know what was going on, hoping fasting will be fine this am. But the + side I'm 37 wks today! Babe can come anytime! :

Ok fasting this am 91. that's fine just needs to be under 95. I'll have a light breakfast and watchwhat I eat today.
Yay for 37 weeks! I can't wait to get there. My fasting was 99 today so better than yesterday. I can get a range of up to 10 points depending on which finger I use, if the strip touches my hand a little,etc. these meters are definitely not totally accurate. I have to be really careful to get the perfect little bubble of blood and not touch the strip to my hand or I get a higher number. I'm off to my ultrasound in a bit, then midwife appointment. I'll update when I get back.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#844 of 1310 Old 03-25-2009, 12:48 PM

I'm back. Ultrasound showed a 4lb 8oz baby, measuring a week ahead, but we all know how accurate ultrasounds can be. They are not freaking out so that is good. He decided to sleep through his NST so I have to go back next week for another one. They are fine with my sugar levels as long as the diabetes people are. I'm definitely getting more braxton hicks though and that did show up on the NST. I'm floating in water and resting a lot so I don't think there is much more I can do.

#845 of 1310 Old 03-26-2009, 12:28 AM

fairymom, the diabetes folks monitoring me say that something you just have a weird number, and if its just once in a while like that, not to worry too much.

I just had a MW appt at the hospital practice. I am so glad once again that I am planning the HB (even though I feel acutely weird that I can't tell them-- LOL I was afraid my 4yo would spill the beans since he loves talking about "our birth"... I guess luckily he completely clams up at the medical appts). Turns out that at 40 weeks the protocol is to have an induction at the hospital for all GD moms (and after 40weeks you can't be in the birth center). Interesting that nobody told me this until I asked, and tomorrow I am 36 weeks! There is this ONE doctor who can "make an exception". Ditto for skipping the NSTs... if this Dr. says its okay, then you are "allowed" to. I talked to the MW a bit about it. She agrees with me on many points (that NSTs are not shown to improve outcomes, for example, and that the stats on risks to fetus don't take into account the difference between women with pre-existing undiagnosed type II, which I am very confident i DO NOT have, since I was *totally normal* at a 3hrGTT at 20 weeks, and then borderline high at 28 weeks, or what are the specific risks to fetuses of women with well-controlled GD, with diet-controlled GD, gradations of "control", etc). But the long and short of it is that the docs get to call the shots. I also told her that I will probably decline NSTs before 40 weeks, and that I would certainly decline a routine induction based on an arbitrary number. She said that her belief is that it should be my choice, and that I should be very aware that I can decline ANY intervention in the L&D if I end up birthing there.

B/c my first labor was fast and furious, and at 38 weeks, everyone acts like this will be the case for my second, and the CNMs seem to minimize the whole scenario of like... what if I don't go into labor spontaneously by 40 weeks? Can I even still be their patient?

If I wasn't actually planning my HB I think I'd be feeling really trapped and stressed out right now, so sure I would end up being "risked out" of the birth center and having to fight for non-intervention MW care in the L&D ward. I am so happy to have my numbers good and my HB midwife doing her home visit next week! I am just glad my intuition brought me to this decision early in this pregnancy.

Anyway. Good luck to all you other ladies. Sorry to dump on you all this but sheesh, nobody else really cares all that much...

#846 of 1310 Old 03-26-2009, 06:55 AM

emma- you're not dumping. We need a place to get understanding and have others that understand. I'm w/you. And thank you for the support you have given me. Really and truly if I didn't have this board thru out this pg I'd be soo stressed the whole time.

Update from the high result the night before- all my results yesturday were really good- the highest was after dinner and still was only 101 and the rest were under 90! Had a little treat of ice cream (like 1/2 a serving) sooo goood!

Amy- how many weeks are you? My 1st BBP US showed my lo was 4 lbs. 13oz. at 32 wks.Last week at 36 he was 7 lbs. 10 oz. All these of course are give or take a lb! I still am not being told to do NSTs so I am good w/that. I've only ever had one w/all my other pgs and that was w/#1 when I was 16 and considered hig risk then because of my age! Funny i just realized that in all of my pgs only 2 have ever not been considered high risk and that was w/#s 3 and 4! I've never actually felt "high risk" but normal.
#847 of 1310 Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
fairymom, the diabetes folks monitoring me say that something you just have a weird number, and if its just once in a while like that, not to worry too much.

I just had a MW appt at the hospital practice. I am so glad once again that I am planning the HB (even though I feel acutely weird that I can't tell them-- LOL I was afraid my 4yo would spill the beans since he loves talking about "our birth"... I guess luckily he completely clams up at the medical appts). Turns out that at 40 weeks the protocol is to have an induction at the hospital for all GD moms (and after 40weeks you can't be in the birth center). Interesting that nobody told me this until I asked, and tomorrow I am 36 weeks! There is this ONE doctor who can "make an exception". Ditto for skipping the NSTs... if this Dr. says its okay, then you are "allowed" to. I talked to the MW a bit about it. She agrees with me on many points (that NSTs are not shown to improve outcomes, for example, and that the stats on risks to fetus don't take into account the difference between women with pre-existing undiagnosed type II, which I am very confident i DO NOT have, since I was *totally normal* at a 3hrGTT at 20 weeks, and then borderline high at 28 weeks, or what are the specific risks to fetuses of women with well-controlled GD, with diet-controlled GD, gradations of "control", etc). But the long and short of it is that the docs get to call the shots. I also told her that I will probably decline NSTs before 40 weeks, and that I would certainly decline a routine induction based on an arbitrary number. She said that her belief is that it should be my choice, and that I should be very aware that I can decline ANY intervention in the L&D if I end up birthing there.

B/c my first labor was fast and furious, and at 38 weeks, everyone acts like this will be the case for my second, and the CNMs seem to minimize the whole scenario of like... what if I don't go into labor spontaneously by 40 weeks? Can I even still be their patient?

If I wasn't actually planning my HB I think I'd be feeling really trapped and stressed out right now, so sure I would end up being "risked out" of the birth center and having to fight for non-intervention MW care in the L&D ward. I am so happy to have my numbers good and my HB midwife doing her home visit next week! I am just glad my intuition brought me to this decision early in this pregnancy.

Anyway. Good luck to all you other ladies. Sorry to dump on you all this but sheesh, nobody else really cares all that much...
You are not dumping you are getting your feelings out! That's what we are here for. I'm so grateful for this thread as most on MDC don't support us GD moms.

Quote:
emma- you're not dumping. We need a place to get understanding and have others that understand. I'm w/you. And thank you for the support you have given me. Really and truly if I didn't have this board thru out this pg I'd be soo stressed the whole time.

Update from the high result the night before- all my results yesturday were really good- the highest was after dinner and still was only 101 and the rest were under 90! Had a little treat of ice cream (like 1/2 a serving) sooo goood!

Amy- how many weeks are you? My 1st BBP US showed my lo was 4 lbs. 13oz. at 32 wks.Last week at 36 he was 7 lbs. 10 oz. All these of course are give or take a lb! I still am not being told to do NSTs so I am good w/that. I've only ever had one w/all my other pgs and that was w/#1 when I was 16 and considered hig risk then because of my age! Funny i just realized that in all of my pgs only 2 have ever not been considered high risk and that was w/#s 3 and 4! I've never actually felt "high risk" but normal.
I'm 32 weeks. I'll have another ultrasound at 36 weeks. I'm having the NST's every week, but b/c my baby isn't a huge mover (DS1 wasn't either, or at least the huge movements they are looking for) I think they are going to have a hard time getting the results they need unless he just happens to decide to have a moving period right during that test. Hopefully eating food will help next week so I don't have to sit there for an hour again. Basically it just picked up his heartbeat and a few braxton hicks last time with a couple of movements big enough to satisfy them. They don't let you go past 40 weeks here either, DS1 did come at 38 weeks so I'm hoping this little guy will too.

#848 of 1310 Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amydoula View Post
Hopefully eating food will help next week so I don't have to sit there for an hour again. Basically it just picked up his heartbeat and a few braxton hicks last time with a couple of movements big enough to satisfy them. They don't let you go past 40 weeks here either, DS1 did come at 38 weeks so I'm hoping this little guy will too.
Amy, try having a warm cup of tea. When I drink something warm, or set a warm bowl on the top of my belly the baby objects and does lots of movement. Maybe that will help during your NSTs?

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#849 of 1310 Old 03-26-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amydoula View Post
You are not dumping you are getting your feelings out! That's what we are here for. I'm so grateful for this thread as most on MDC don't support us GD moms.
Its weird, eh? Its like the "natural" crowd doesn't think GD is real (or they think its somehow caused by eating too much junk food, sigh), and then other folks make it out to be this HUGE disaster waiting to happen. Anyway, its been quite instructive for me to deal with this condition- hopefully only temporarily!- I think just a reality check for me when I think about other people that have manageable but not negligible health issues.

Its so helpful to hear what other people are doing, and just to know there are other people out there. Makes me feel a lot less panicked about it all. I'm really glad for this thread.

#850 of 1310 Old 03-26-2009, 04:09 PM

Well I went to the dr yesterday...I really wish I had more options for an ob but because of miliary insurance I'm stuck.

They didn't seem at all concerned about my low sugars. Actually the dr told me I could quit testing except for fbs. So I was cleaning today & felt crappy, checked & it's 53 not even 2 hours after I had spaghetti & meatballs for lunch.

Maybe I'll just keep checking it to be safe, I'm home alone so I feel kinda weirded out about the unexpected lows.

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#851 of 1310 Old 03-26-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Amy, try having a warm cup of tea. When I drink something warm, or set a warm bowl on the top of my belly the baby objects and does lots of movement. Maybe that will help during your NSTs?
Thanks for the tip! It's definitely worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaC View Post
Well I went to the dr yesterday...I really wish I had more options for an ob but because of miliary insurance I'm stuck.

They didn't seem at all concerned about my low sugars. Actually the dr told me I could quit testing except for fbs. So I was cleaning today & felt crappy, checked & it's 53 not even 2 hours after I had spaghetti & meatballs for lunch.

Maybe I'll just keep checking it to be safe, I'm home alone so I feel kinda weirded out about the unexpected lows.
That's weird that they aren't concerned. Anything under 60 and they told me it was not good, not that I've ever come close mind you since I've got the other problem. Just keep eating as much as you can as often as you can.

#852 of 1310 Old 03-26-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
BHappy, it seems weird to me that they are testing so early. My understanding is that early in pregnancy what they would find is pre-existing (non-pregnancy related) insulin resistance or type II diabetes, b/c before the placenta matures its not affecting your body enough to throw off your blood sugar metabolism. Do they plan to test again later in pregnancy if you are normal? What happens if you refuse? You should ask if you self-monitor whether they will automatically classify you as GD (thats what they would have done with the medical practice I am seeing for co-care).

And, as I am sure you already know, the 1-hour test has a high rate of false positives.
After reading some of the pamphlets I received from Kaiser, it appears they do the glucose test early for some women, and the week 24-28 test for all women. I'm going to ask at my next appointment why they wanted to test me so early. I'm guessing because I am 41. Sheesh.

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

#853 of 1310 Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 PM

BHappy, I bet you are right. They are probably treating you as "high risk" in general, and also trying to rule out pre-existing typeII? Sounds like it wouldn't really be a big deal if you skipped the earlier test.

I had a 3hrGTT earlier than normal (20 weeks) because I have a strong family history of type II, and b/c we suspect my mom had GD with me. I was totally normal at that test. The good thing that came out of it is that I am quite sure I really do have GD and not just underlying diabetes. One thing at least not to worry about.

#854 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 07:33 AM

On the topic of not really feeling that other's here not supporting GD moms Or thinking it (GD) is not real I totoally agree w/you guys. It really scares me to watch others (w/o GD) tell new moms not to to the GD test. I know there are different ways to do the test and if you have a really low risk factor then sure MAYBE opt out but they just don't seem to realize how bad untreated GD can be for both mom and babe. It's a test I've done w/all my pgs w/no bad reactions (sure a small stomach ache but really in reality that's nothing comapred to the effects that could happen). This is pg #6 for me and I've never had a false positive. Or even had to redo the test because they thought it may be false.

Whenever I hear a mom asking about it its like what really is it going to hurt to do this test? I too am glad I did this test and to a point have GD (not on a daily basis or would wish it on anyone) because I don't have to worry about what I am feeding us, have a greater will power to say no to things that arre unhealthy and am not worrying about gaining too much weight (and having to lose that weight after pg). And I've been able to help my family become more aware of the food they eat- what's a proper portion, good food choices and show them how to be creative with your diet! For kids nowa days this is hard and they too are at increased risks just like I am so the earlier the better!

I hope this helps someone who may be lurking feel more comfortable about their decision and the fact it maybe different than most here on MDC. Every body is different and yes a positive GD result feels like poop and there is a lot of stress in the first few weeks to months and feelings of disappoinment/failure in yoursefl and body BUT really this is something that happens and we have no control over it but can learn from it and help others with the experience- I wish they'd come up w/GD support groups IRL kinda like LLL meetings. I think those would be invaluable!
#855 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 08:33 AM

Hmmm anyone else have their ob or mw tell them their fbs only needed to be below 105 to stay off meds?

Between that & his complete indifference to my lows I'm feeling pretty shaky about that particular dr(there are 4 at the office I go to).

#856 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
On the topic of not really feeling that other's here not supporting GD moms Or thinking it (GD) is not real I totoally agree w/you guys. It really scares me to watch others (w/o GD) tell new moms not to to the GD test. I know there are different ways to do the test and if you have a really low risk factor then sure MAYBE opt out but they just don't seem to realize how bad untreated GD can be for both mom and babe. It's a test I've done w/all my pgs w/no bad reactions (sure a small stomach ache but really in reality that's nothing comapred to the effects that could happen). This is pg #6 for me and I've never had a false positive. Or even had to redo the test because they thought it may be false.

Whenever I hear a mom asking about it its like what really is it going to hurt to do this test? I too am glad I did this test and to a point have GD (not on a daily basis or would wish it on anyone) because I don't have to worry about what I am feeding us, have a greater will power to say no to things that arre unhealthy and am not worrying about gaining too much weight (and having to lose that weight after pg). And I've been able to help my family become more aware of the food they eat- what's a proper portion, good food choices and show them how to be creative with your diet! For kids nowa days this is hard and they too are at increased risks just like I am so the earlier the better!

I hope this helps someone who may be lurking feel more comfortable about their decision and the fact it maybe different than most here on MDC. Every body is different and yes a positive GD result feels like poop and there is a lot of stress in the first few weeks to months and feelings of disappoinment/failure in yoursefl and body BUT really this is something that happens and we have no control over it but can learn from it and help others with the experience- I wish they'd come up w/GD support groups IRL kinda like LLL meetings. I think those would be invaluable!
I COMPLETELY agree with everything you've said!! I'm clapping in my head

Quote:
Hmmm anyone else have their ob or mw tell them their fbs only needed to be below 105 to stay off meds?

Between that & his complete indifference to my lows I'm feeling pretty shaky about that particular dr(there are 4 at the office I go to).
They are keeping me off meds as long as I keep my fastings under 105 but that is only b/c I'm wicked healthy to begin with. (low blood pressure, thin, no swelling or other health issues, I eat VERY healthy anyway,etc.) There normal standards are below 90. Plus I have never had an after meals number even close to the 120 cut off, it's just the darn fastings.

#857 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 11:09 AM

KarlaC, can you try to see a different OB in the practice? Or is there a diabetes specialist you can see? Can they refer you to someone OTHER than an OB?

The practice I am seeing wants fasting under 90. But I've also heard other practices follow different guidelines. And like Amy says, they look at the whole picture (or, they should). My HB midwife says she wouldn't be stressing me to say inside such tight parameters. However, she has mentioned that she is concerned about low blood sugars (she didn't like seeing 1-hour post-meal in the 80s) and I am sure if she saw lows like you have she would want me eating complex (healthy) carbs to bring them back up immediately, and probably have me eating much more frequently to prevent those crashes.

Good luck.

I exercised last night after dinner (plus about 2miles walking in the AM...) It definitely felt hard to motivate my big huge self to do that. BUT, my fasting BS was 82. (rather than the high 80s/low 90s I have had for the past week). So, I guess that is really what I have to do to keep fasting #s safely below 90. It does feel like GD manages to make late pregnancy just THAT MUCH more exhausting. Its enough to start me wanting to have another 38-week pregnancy even though I have SO MUCH I want to accomplish before this baby is born- even 2-3 more weeks would feel like a lot!

#858 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 12:06 PM

FWIW, I'm following this thread even though I haven't been labelled GD yet. I failed the 1 hr at 12w by 1 pt above the cut off and asked not to do the 3 hr because at that point in time anything sugar would make be gag and come perilously close to puking. My doc okayed me to repeat the 1 hr test a week later, suggesting that my fasting of sugar for the previous 13 weeks (yes prior to pregnancy) could have been the reason I failed. He asked me to carb load before the test and then fast (FAST - which I hadn't done the first time through) before the test. FWIW as well, we tested me early because my BMI was over 30 at the start of pregnancy, my mum was diagnosed with Type II within the last 5 yrs and I'm over the magical age of 35 - so there were risk factors. We're repeating the test in just under 3 weeks (at 24w) as usual too and I'm fretting because I know in my mind there is a really good chance I will fail it.

Maybe I'm different than others around MDC, in that I don't discount the possibility of GD, and I do take the testing really seriously. I thought about totally skipping the testing earlier in pregnancy and just following a GD diet anyway - I picked up a couple GD specific books and they have a little info on the diet to follow. Anyway I guess the reason I'm posting is to say that there are still some of us out there that may not technically have GD but are conscious enough of it. Oh heck I think I'm on the border and have contemplated getting myself a monitor just to be sure.

Anyway I applaud you all for the straightforward answers and while I don't have it (yet), I'm still following and learning a bunch from you... and you've made me a least a little more conscious of what I'm feeding us! (baby #4 here!)

Grumpy72 ::
M 6/2001, S 12/2005, E 6/2009 (31wkr) & birth-mum to H 9/2003
#859 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy72_ga View Post
FWIW, I'm following this thread even though I haven't been labelled GD yet. I failed the 1 hr at 12w by 1 pt above the cut off and asked not to do the 3 hr because at that point in time anything sugar would make be gag and come perilously close to puking. My doc okayed me to repeat the 1 hr test a week later, suggesting that my fasting of sugar for the previous 13 weeks (yes prior to pregnancy) could have been the reason I failed. He asked me to carb load before the test and then fast (FAST - which I hadn't done the first time through) before the test. FWIW as well, we tested me early because my BMI was over 30 at the start of pregnancy, my mum was diagnosed with Type II within the last 5 yrs and I'm over the magical age of 35 - so there were risk factors. We're repeating the test in just under 3 weeks (at 24w) as usual too and I'm fretting because I know in my mind there is a really good chance I will fail it.

Maybe I'm different than others around MDC, in that I don't discount the possibility of GD, and I do take the testing really seriously. I thought about totally skipping the testing earlier in pregnancy and just following a GD diet anyway - I picked up a couple GD specific books and they have a little info on the diet to follow. Anyway I guess the reason I'm posting is to say that there are still some of us out there that may not technically have GD but are conscious enough of it. Oh heck I think I'm on the border and have contemplated getting myself a monitor just to be sure.

Anyway I applaud you all for the straightforward answers and while I don't have it (yet), I'm still following and learning a bunch from you... and you've made me a least a little more conscious of what I'm feeding us! (baby #4 here!)
Thank you for your support! It is nice to know there are supportive lurkers out there

Me: I'm back from the diabetes RN, she has bought me another 3 weeks until my next appointment with her. She says she usually doesn't keep seeing people but "I make her nervous" since I'm so borderline but b/c I'm still so healthy I get to keep going without meds/insulin. I'll be 35 weeks when I go back so I"m hoping by that point it will be easier to keep under control. It's gorgeous here today so I'm going for a nice walk longer walk this afternoon. I've got my baby shower tomorrow and while I will eat no naughty foods I know I will eat more food than I normally would so want to stay on top of it.

#860 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 PM

hey Amy, have fun at your shower. Even if you aren't going to eat "naughty" foods maybe you can have something special? A long while back I posted a coconut-flour muffin recipe in the recipe/meal thread I started. They aren't nearly as good as cakes or anything, but they sort of satisfy in that same way. And they seem to do zilch to my blood sugar. And the chocolate-tofu pie I made earlier this week was also quite yummy and didn't seem too bad for blood sugar. Another sweet type thing that you might be able to eat is a very lightly sweetened egg-and-cream custard (you can use fructose instead of sugar and cut the amount down). I also imagine that a chocolate roll-cake (like a bouche-de-noel style cake... otherwise has been called by my husband "a huge devil dog") could be made very low sugar (usually I make a flourless cake and fill with sweetened whipped cream- you could sweeten VERY lightly or with a mix of stevia and agave). as for a non-sweet special food... I think egg-and-veggie soufflé could be good, or a "roulade" (sort of a rolled souffle with a cheese-herb filling).

speaking of which-- if I can get my butt organized to finish some work this morning maybe I'll make some of those coconut flour muffins with my son. They are handy to have and for some reason he LOVES them (he'll say things like, "I am really hungry, but the only thing I am hungry for are those muffins that are just for you").

#861 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
KarlaC, can you try to see a different OB in the practice? Or is there a diabetes specialist you can see? Can they refer you to someone OTHER than an OB?

The practice I am seeing wants fasting under 90. But I've also heard other practices follow different guidelines. And like Amy says, they look at the whole picture (or, they should). My HB midwife says she wouldn't be stressing me to say inside such tight parameters. However, she has mentioned that she is concerned about low blood sugars (she didn't like seeing 1-hour post-meal in the 80s) and I am sure if she saw lows like you have she would want me eating complex (healthy) carbs to bring them back up immediately, and probably have me eating much more frequently to prevent those crashes.

Good luck.
Well now that I've actually seen all 4 dr's at least once I can pick the one I want to see. My next appt I chose the one guy who didn't seem like such an airhead. I plan on hitting him up about a dietician at the very least, he was the only one who wasn't completely opposed to any kind of intervention for my anxiety disorder so I'm hoping he will keep an open mind on getting me in to see someone who can help me a little more.

My appetite has returned & I'm back to eating every 2 hours but my sugars are still staying low & borderline hypoglycemic even at one hour so idk. I've been working hard at eating plenty of good carbs but not being able to go sweep & mop without crashing is getting old.

#862 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
My appetite has returned & I'm back to eating every 2 hours but my sugars are still staying low & borderline hypoglycemic even at one hour so idk. I've been working hard at eating plenty of good carbs but not being able to go sweep & mop without crashing is getting old.
Karla, you should ask your doctor if it's possibe that you have reactive hypoglycemia and not gestational diabetes. And, if so, what the implications are to you and baby and what to do about it. I'm concerned that the ladies here tell you to eat MORE carbs is actually the wrong thing for you to be doing, you are just compounding the problem. Try eating very low carb snacks/meals very frequently for a few days and see if your sugars staabilize? Just a suggestion, I'm certainly no medical expert, but your doctors are obviously not being much help! If this helps, then maybe eat a higher carb meal (not too high though!) and test your sugars at 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 and 120 minutes (yeah, ouch on the fingers!) to show what your blood sugar is actually doing. That might be a reality check for your doctor.

#863 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I think there is a big difference between telling moms not to test and telling moms to be aware of what they are consenting to and how it affects the outcome of thier pregnancy. There is very little data (none?) out there showing more beneficial outcomes when treating GD moms with insulin vs not treating them. (Check www.plus-size-pregnancy.org, it's the most comprehensive place for GD info that I have seen, studies are linked at the bottom of each page.)
Quote:
"The available data provide no evidence to support the wide recommendation that all pregnant women should be screened for 'gestational diabetes', let alone that they should be treated with insulin. Until the risks of minor elevations of glucose during pregnancy have been established in appropriately conducted trials, therapy based on this diagnosis must be critically reviewed. The use of injectable therapy on the basis of the available data is highly contentious, and in many other fields of medical practice such aggressive therapy without proven benefit would be considered unethical." Enkin, Murray et al. A Guide to Effective Care in Pregnancy and Childbirth. Second Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press (Oxford Medical Publications), 1995.
There are people who should be tested, there are lots of us here, but there are those of us that shouldn't be tested and who should and can follow a personal testing protocol and simply be aware of what is ok and what is not. I could care less if I pass or fail the test. As a scientist, I find the test flawed, given that it has absolutely NO standardization. However, I also have a realization that not everyone has the benefit of my education I think, more important than taking the test or not is helping moms be aware that there are other options, that there is more than one treatment for GD, there are different gradations of GD, etc. I think part of why I recommend to other moms to think twice about the GD test is because my SIL takes the test, is diagnosed with GD, has done NO research on anything, starts taking insulin and rather than taking enough insulin to deal with the foods she is eating, eats food to counter-act the insulin she is taking. (does that make sense?) She doesn't seem to realize that by controlling her diet and exercise that she may not even NEED insulin (or she may...) and the doctors in her area certainly aren't going to tell her.

So, down from my soapbox, I applaude the ladies here because you ARE aware of what your options are, or at least that there ARE other options besides just jumping on the insulin bandwagon and that you are taking an active role in your health and that of your babies. And there is nothing better than being informed!

#864 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 01:39 PM

I have no idea what "reactive hypoglycemia" is (is it big spikes and big crashes? I'll follow that link) but I agree that testing yourself frequently through a day or two might give you more info to go on with your health care providers. And, if its just for a day or two your fingers will survive (use the lowest setting you can on your lancet!)

#865 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 02:25 PM

I think there are problems galore with the test- esp the 1hr one. But, I know why they don't do the 3hr test on everyone, and I also can see why they don't want to closely monitor everyone over a period of time to see where they are at with their blood sugar regulation, since it affects such a small number of women. I also (as you can tell by my tirades recently!) do not like what the "high risk" label means in terms of how women are treated by health care practitioners and the greatly increased rates of interventions that it leads to.

BUT... I do know for me- I was totally normal at my 20wk 3hr test and was NOT normal at my 28wk one. I am glad to have the information to keep my blood sugar normalized through diet and exercise and self-monitoring. After reading some for myself (I am not a scientist but I am still an intelligent and educated person!) I do think there is actually enough evidence for better outcomes (esp better LONG TERM outcomes regarding the risk of developing type II diabetes later in life) for my child if s/he is not exposed to intra-uterine hyperglycemia to make me glad I am controlling it. I am concerned about the effect on my body and on the fetus in my body of several months of elevated blood sugar. My understanding is that there is pretty good evidence that elevated blood sugars (even below the diabetic range, but above normal) cause stress and/or damage to my pancreas, and this is not good for me over my lifetime.

Personally I am not at all stressed out about having a "big baby"... I've always assumed I would for genetic reasons anyway (my husband is 6'2" and I was 9lbs8oz at birth, though I'm pretty much average size now I was always as a kid in the 90th+ percentile for size). I find the fat-phobic ways that people talk about "GD babies" really distasteful and uninformed, as with many of the discussions on "how to grow a small baby". There is a lot of confusion out there (exacerbated, unfortunately, by risk-averse OBs) between large-normal babies (of course there are going to be people at the top range of normal-- that is what it is, a RANGE of normal) and abnormally large babies.

Lots of people eat a crap diet when pregnant or not. I don't think its good for them. But boy am I sick of reading posts like, "I don't eat a lot of sugar anyway so I am not at risk for GD". My blood sugars were quite abnormally high after eating a breakfast of usweetened, home-made steel-cut oatmeal, a half a fresh fruit and an egg, or a dinner of brown rice and miso soup with lots of fresh lightly cooked greens and tofu. I never would have guessed that w/out monitoring myself. When I am not pregnant, I imagine my blood sugars don't rise dramatically from eating that sort of food (though I will be checking periodically after I give birth). Because its not about eating "a lot of sugar" but about having a glucose metabolism that is really thrown out of whack for reasons we just don't control, and I *do* wish more people understood that, politics and practical problems with testing regimes and labeling aside.

#866 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Karla, you should ask your doctor if it's possibe that you have reactive hypoglycemia and not gestational diabetes. And, if so, what the implications are to you and baby and what to do about it. I'm concerned that the ladies here tell you to eat MORE carbs is actually the wrong thing for you to be doing, you are just compounding the problem. Try eating very low carb snacks/meals very frequently for a few days and see if your sugars staabilize? Just a suggestion, I'm certainly no medical expert, but your doctors are obviously not being much help! If this helps, then maybe eat a higher carb meal (not too high though!) and test your sugars at 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 and 120 minutes (yeah, ouch on the fingers!) to show what your blood sugar is actually doing. That might be a reality check for your doctor.
Wow thank you for the info! I will try the higher amt of testing at those times too just to see what I can see & show the dr. Not worried about the amt of finger sticks, I'm a pretty tough old broad Much appreciated.

~K.

#867 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Lots of people eat a crap diet when pregnant or not. I don't think its good for them. But boy am I sick of reading posts like, "I don't eat a lot of sugar anyway so I am not at risk for GD". My blood sugars were quite abnormally high after eating a breakfast of usweetened, home-made steel-cut oatmeal, a half a fresh fruit and an egg, or a dinner of brown rice and miso soup with lots of fresh lightly cooked greens and tofu. I never would have guessed that w/out monitoring myself. When I am not pregnant, I imagine my blood sugars don't rise dramatically from eating that sort of food (though I will be checking periodically after I give birth). Because its not about eating "a lot of sugar" but about having a glucose metabolism that is really thrown out of whack for reasons we just don't control, and I *do* wish more people understood that, politics and practical problems with testing regimes and labeling aside.
:
AND, people who don't eat a lot of refined sugars still often eat far more grains than they should and don't understand, or choose to ignore, that carbohydrates are carbohydrates! I am constantly astounded by the amount of sugar added to packaged food products not to mention the amount of naturally occuring sugars in fruits and vegetables.

#868 of 1310 Old 03-27-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
:
AND, people who don't eat a lot of refined sugars still often eat far more grains than they should and don't understand, or choose to ignore, that carbohydrates are carbohydrates! I am constantly astounded by the amount of sugar added to packaged food products not to mention the amount of naturally occuring sugars in fruits and vegetables.
yk, I think I was probably eating a lot more grains than was good for me- minimally processed, whole grains, but still, probably more than my body needs. I actually LOST quite a bit of weight (while pregnant) when I cut out almost all grains after starting the self-monitoring. While I am aware (and also astounded!) at the amount of sugar and sugar-by-other-names in packaged/prepared foods, I think I did have this mindset that fruit and whole grains are "healthy" so I should eat as much as I want. Limiting my intake of them has been really interesting and made me rethink my meals. I do hope its something I can find middle ground on after I am not pregnant anymore- I plan to add grains back into my diet, but at a much more moderate level. I mean- gosh, I look at my mom, who has type II diabetes- if she ate the USDA recommended amount of grains per day (what is it, 6-12 servings??) she'd be on huge doses of insulin to control her blood sugar.

#869 of 1310 Old 03-28-2009, 09:32 AM

I think you guys are having a very interesting discussion, I don't have a lot to add right now as my brain is pretty fried, but I have been following along. I also got up to a 98 today so I was pleased Today is my baby shower! There will be a lot of protein foods so that is nice that they are accommodating my crazy food needs. It will be sad not to have the cake or beautiful lemon punch but oh well. Have a great day!

#870 of 1310 Old 03-28-2009, 06:48 PM

Amy- have a fun shower!

Yesterday after dinner I did my one-hour test and got 146 (seemed high for what I had eaten). I tested again and got 106, which seemed low. So, I tested AGAIN and got 106 a second time. Went with that. (different finger each time...) This morning I was 78 fasting. I think my numbers are just going down? I am 36 weeks. I've actually been dropping down to or just below 80 between meals- recently decided to test on a couple of occasions when I felt really at the end of my rope. (well, I know its normal to return to fasting levels before meals but I actually still have never gotten a clear picture of what is normal in late pregnancy... as opposed to non-pregnant people).

I'm still eating relatively low carb, but adding a little more fruit and even some TINY little servings of other starchy foods at meals.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page