Gestational Diabetes Support Group - Page 31 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#901 of 1310 Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh emma I wanted to say congrats on such a great appt. You are so strong with dealing with health professionals! And I have found in my experience that nurses are less open than drs sometimes- and I don't say this light as my mom is a nurse as well as my father and numerous others in my family!
Way to go!
#902 of 1310 Old 04-04-2009, 01:02 PM

fairymom, thanks! I was nervous about it and then it went so well. When I think about why are nurses often more rigid, I realize that the nurses are in a much less powerful position than the doctors, so maybe that makes them more cautious/concerned with following rules? I imagine they can get "in trouble" if they make their own reccs and the doc disagree? Also I know from past experience (mostly not my own, but when I am with a friend or family member getting care) that nurses often do NOT like patients they perceive as "difficult", and someone who is questioning everything is obviously making their job harder or different. I've also had some GREAT interactions with nurses, so it goes both ways.

On another note, last night I had a pretty low-carb dinner (some leftover bean and quinoa chili, and a big huge plate of sauteed asparagus and zucchini with pine nuts and cheese.) WELL, my son and I had purchased an uncharacteristic treat- "so delicious" coconut milk mini ice cream sandwiches. (100 calories, 15g carbs, 2g fiber= 13g carbs). Yum! And my 1-hour post-meal was only 125! Wohoo! And fasting this morning was 85. I am thinking... maybe after being SO GOOD all these past 2 MONTHS I can have a mini fake ice cream sandwich a couple of days a week until baby comes, as long as my numbers stay good?

I tried to schedule a massage with my neighbor (so convenient!) but my pesky DH has been working for some friends now that he's laid off, and his schedule is SO unpredictable. If I'm still preggers when my mom gets here on Thursday, I am going to schedule a massage every 3 days or so until baby comes... I'll need it! I'll try to convince my mom to do it too- I am sure she will really enjoy that little pampering and our neighbor is lovely and charges very reasonable rates.

Anyone been enjoying some special treats lately? (food or non-food related)

dissertating mom to three

#903 of 1310 Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
fairymom, thanks! I was nervous about it and then it went so well. When I think about why are nurses often more rigid, I realize that the nurses are in a much less powerful position than the doctors, so maybe that makes them more cautious/concerned with following rules? I imagine they can get "in trouble" if they make their own reccs and the doc disagree? Also I know from past experience (mostly not my own, but when I am with a friend or family member getting care) that nurses often do NOT like patients they perceive as "difficult", and someone who is questioning everything is obviously making their job harder or different. I've also had some GREAT interactions with nurses, so it goes both ways.

On another note, last night I had a pretty low-carb dinner (some leftover bean and quinoa chili, and a big huge plate of sauteed asparagus and zucchini with pine nuts and cheese.) WELL, my son and I had purchased an uncharacteristic treat- "so delicious" coconut milk mini ice cream sandwiches. (100 calories, 15g carbs, 2g fiber= 13g carbs). Yum! And my 1-hour post-meal was only 125! Wohoo! And fasting this morning was 85. I am thinking... maybe after being SO GOOD all these past 2 weeks I can have a mini fake ice cream sandwich a couple of days a week until baby comes, as long as my numbers stay good?

I tried to schedule a massage with my neighbor (so convenient!) but my pesky DH has been working for some friends now that he's laid off, and his schedule is SO unpredictable. If I'm still preggers when my mom gets here on Thursday, I am going to schedule a massage every 3 days or so until baby comes... I'll need it! I'll try to convince my mom to do it too- I am sure she will really enjoy that little pampering and our neighbor is lovely and charges very reasonable rates.

Anyone been enjoying some special treats lately? (food or non-food related)
Sounds like a great plan! No treats here, I've got too many weeks to keep this thing under control but I do really enjoy the plain yogurt/banana/peanut butter smoothies and they don't do anything to my numbers.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#904 of 1310 Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 PM

I love smoothies! I'm going to go make one for DS and I before we walk to the park- thanks for the inspiration!

#905 of 1310 Old 04-04-2009, 07:09 PM

My ds4 has been really into freezies/icees so I got some popsicles w/ice cream in the middle for him- they're mini style. I was looking at the box and they only have 9 gms of carbs for one- and 2 is a serving w/18 carbs. I've had a 1/2 half serving (so 1) a cuple of times as a treat. Orange cream sicles- yum.
#906 of 1310 Old 04-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Wow this was all the way back on page 5!

So mommas I am almost done- just today and then baby tomarrow! :

My blood sugars have been good all week- I've only had one slightly high result and it was only like 5 over. So feeling good about los blood sugar- but we'll see.

My plan for tomarrow is to eat an egg and toast for breakfast before going to the hospital and making sure I get my am snack. I am getting my pit around 9ish so that'll be about snack time.Hopeing he'll be out shortly after lunch timeish!

It's great to have been here and thank you all for all the support.I'll try to update sun.night or mon. am!
#907 of 1310 Old 04-09-2009, 03:45 PM

Wow- that is so exciting! Good luck tomorrow and I hope it goes quickly and uneventfully. And then, that you can enjoy something delicious (and think about us all).

My blood sugars have been great. I am feeling sick and nauseous and crampy today. Sick? Early labor? We'll see. Can't bring myself to eat anything but my DH is home today (thank goodness) and he and DS said they'd bring me home some lentil soup and see if I can eat that.

#908 of 1310 Old 04-09-2009, 06:36 PM

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you tomorrow!! Hope you have a pleasant and smooth induction.

Be, happy momma to Liberty (12-31-02), Henry (3-17-07) and Prudence (7-02-09)
#909 of 1310 Old 04-09-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
Wow this was all the way back on page 5!

So mommas I am almost done- just today and then baby tomarrow! :

My blood sugars have been good all week- I've only had one slightly high result and it was only like 5 over. So feeling good about los blood sugar- but we'll see.

My plan for tomarrow is to eat an egg and toast for breakfast before going to the hospital and making sure I get my am snack. I am getting my pit around 9ish so that'll be about snack time.Hopeing he'll be out shortly after lunch timeish!

It's great to have been here and thank you all for all the support.I'll try to update sun.night or mon. am!
Thinking of you tomorrow! Enjoy your baby and your treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Wow- that is so exciting! Good luck tomorrow and I hope it goes quickly and uneventfully. And then, that you can enjoy something delicious (and think about us all).

My blood sugars have been great. I am feeling sick and nauseous and crampy today. Sick? Early labor? We'll see. Can't bring myself to eat anything but my DH is home today (thank goodness) and he and DS said they'd bring me home some lentil soup and see if I can eat that.
Hopefully early labor and not sick. Glad things are going well.

Me: Things are going well here, after meal numbers still well under 120, fastings still between 95-100, but they are letting me slide on by. NST this week was great, no issues so I'm just plugging along.

#910 of 1310 Old 04-10-2009, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found out that I could get a free glucometer at the pharmacy and my test strips and lancet came to $35, so I went ahead and bought it. I think there might be a problem here.

Last night I ate dinner (somewhat normal dinner/some extras--company you know) of small wholegrain sub w/veggies and meat, chips and dip and a mini ice cream sandwhich. 2 hours post meal was 143.

This morning I tested and it was 120.

I KNOW the morning one is high and the post meal is high, but I want to make sure I do it correctly, do you test 2 hours after you start the meal or 2 hours after you stop eating?

To have something concrete to bring in, should I just eat normally this weekend or try to cut down the carbs? how many times a day should I test? I have a midwife appt. on Tuesday.

Thanks for your help ladies.
Sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#911 of 1310 Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 AM

Sarah- I was told to test 2 hours after I eat so (not specfic as to what that means) I assumed and test after I've finished eating. But I know emma is sopposed to test 1 hour after the first bite goes inot her mouth. Right emma?

From what you described I figure you probably had too many carbs for you dinner last night. Subs even multi grain/whole grain have tons of carbs (2-3 servings!). I try to stick to just a burger bun usually those only have like 1 carb serving. Then the chips and dip and ice cream. Did you have a snack before bed? When my dinner is high and I am not hungry i skip the bed snack and my fasting is usually normal. If i am hunrgy I avoid all carobs and just have some nuts, cheese- protien snack.

In my OP (but am knida unsure and hope someone will chime in too) I might do Sat and Sun normal and test fasting,and after each meal. And then try reducing carbs Mon and Tues and test the same fasting and after meals.

My diet plan is 1 carb for breakfast, 2 for snacks, and 3 for each meal. If I have a high result after a meal I cut back on the snack carb (so will have only one) make sure there is lots of protien with it all.

I test 4 times daily- fasting, and 2 hours after each meal- breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I hope things work out for you and keep coming here for support. I am being induced today but w/o this thread I've had it much harder- at first I was really unsure and now have the confidence to be able to say what has worked for me and hopefully help others. Good luck!
#912 of 1310 Old 04-10-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoady View Post
I found out that I could get a free glucometer at the pharmacy and my test strips and lancet came to $35, so I went ahead and bought it. I think there might be a problem here.

Last night I ate dinner (somewhat normal dinner/some extras--company you know) of small wholegrain sub w/veggies and meat, chips and dip and a mini ice cream sandwhich. 2 hours post meal was 143.

This morning I tested and it was 120.

I KNOW the morning one is high and the post meal is high, but I want to make sure I do it correctly, do you test 2 hours after you start the meal or 2 hours after you stop eating?

To have something concrete to bring in, should I just eat normally this weekend or try to cut down the carbs? how many times a day should I test? I have a midwife appt. on Tuesday.

Thanks for your help ladies.
Sarah
I test 2 hours after I finish eating but I know that is a looser guideline than a lot of doctors allow. It should be under 120 after the two hours. Fasting should be under 90 or 95 depending on your provider so yes it does sound like you have something going on and might want to start the GD diet.

#913 of 1310 Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 PM

Fairymom- I am impressed you are posting all that info before going to the hospital to have your baby! This is a nice group of women on here.

Mamatoady, I found this website I keep mentioning really helpful for explaining what "normal" blood sugars and like and how to start trying to normalize your sugar through diet and how to do your own testing. Its NOT about GD but still it is way more useful than most of the advice for diabetics I've seen out there. http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

I have a stricter regimen than many people. I am supposed to test 1 hour after I START eating, and I am supposed to be under 130. If I can't test then, they want my 2-hour to be under 120. I set an alarm or a timer b/c I always forget. My fastings are supposed to be under 90, but some people are supposed to be under 95 or under 100. I think if you can get your fastings under 100 and your 1-hour under 140, you should feel like you are doing fine.

Exercise can really help too. I was surprised to see how DRAMATIC the effect of a 20-minute brisk walk is on my BS. Much more than a 40-minute low-impact aerobics DVD, for example.

And yeah, your numbers sound a bit high but diet DOES affect them. You can start by trying to reduce your carb intake and seeing what your post-meals are like then. So that is mostly anything from grains- try radically reducing your serving size or simply eliminating if you have to. (so, in that dinner you mentioned- the bread, the chips, possibly the dip, depending on what it was, and the ice cream sandwich!). And, of course, anything sweetened- regardless of with what. Fruit juices, and watch the serving sizes of your fruits (and what fruits they are matters too... berries have a much less effect on BS). And cows milk is also high in sugar and affects some people a lot. And starchy veggies like potatoes and beets. Also, we all are supposed to eat more frequently and smaller amounts. The idea is to keep our blood sugar more even through the day. The good part is that, at least for me, it really helps control cravings and I am not really (usually) tempted to overindulge. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks. A snack for me is usually one fruit and one protein (so, an apple with PB, or a pear and 2 oz of cheese, a tangerine and a couple handfuls of almonds, etc). You could substitute a glass of milk for a fruit, or a smallish piece of whole-grain bread.

The good news is that (despite the standard diet advice) fat is AOK! Even the dietician giving us our "class" said- off the record- that "healthy fats" can be unrestricted. I'll eat this for breakfast: 2 eggs cooked in butter with herbs and salsa, 1/2 an avocado, 8 strawberries, 1/2 c cooked artichoke hearts with cheese on top. (My one-hour blood sugar will be around 110.) As much cheese, nuts, PB, sour cream as you want (I am a vegetarian, the range would be bigger with meat in there). And lest you worry you will become huge eating like that- for the first month and a half of following a low-carb diet while pregnant I was LOSING weight. Go figure. I've finally stabilized and gained back a couple of pounds but I am 38 weeks today and my total weight gain is about 17lbs.

If I was you, I'd play around for a few days testing more frequently, then when you see what is working, you can probably just test fasting and after one meal a day (mix it up which meal it is) and save yourself $$ on those test strips. And if you are really concerned and are seeing high numbers despite modifications, you might want to discuss with your HCP. Having a high-risk label is not a good thing, but if you actually have a significant problem, it might be worth looking at treatment options.

#914 of 1310 Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 PM

thank you ladies,
I talked to my midwife today and she wants me to test my morning fasting #'s and also two hours post meal (one meal a day) and bring the weekend chart in to my appt.

Tonight for dinner I had steak, broccoli, and then a brownie (wasn't going to because I wanted a low carb reading, but it was made for my belated birthday) and my 2 hour post meal was 140.

Just out of curiosity, what might a NORMAL range be directly after eating a high carb meal? I had a pretty high carb lunch and had a 10 minute post meal reading of 201, but I wondered if that might be normal.

Sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#915 of 1310 Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
thank you ladies,
I talked to my midwife today and she wants me to test my morning fasting #'s and also two hours post meal (one meal a day) and bring the weekend chart in to my appt.

Tonight for dinner I had steak, broccoli, and then a brownie (wasn't going to because I wanted a low carb reading, but it was made for my belated birthday) and my 2 hour post meal was 140.

Just out of curiosity, what might a NORMAL range be directly after eating a high carb meal? I had a pretty high carb lunch and had a 10 minute post meal reading of 201, but I wondered if that might be normal.

Sarah
I don't know about immediately afterwards, I've only tested fasting and 2 hours after. I do know that the 140 is definitely high.

#916 of 1310 Old 04-11-2009, 12:32 AM

Sounds like your MW has a good way to get started and if she thinks there is a problem I am sure she'll work on a plan with you. It can be very overwhelming at first but it gets much better.

I've never heard of people testing 10m after they eat. I think the reason you test either 1 hour or 2 hours after a meal is b/c it takes some time for your body to release the insulin and start processing glucose, so a reading immediately following eating isn't that meaningful. You want to find out how you are processing the glucose. The problem is if you are not efficiently processing it, and its hanging around your bloodstream for any length of time. People with impaired insulin function, diabetes, insulin resistance, etc, blood glucose levels rise a lot higher and then are STAYING elevated and that is the cause of the stress (and eventual damage, if the condition is chronic or severe) on your organs, your circulatory system, and if you are pregnant, on the same but developing systems in your fetus.

Really that website I mentioned has tons of info on what is "normal" which I'd never heard before. Apparently normal people's blood sugar levels return quickly to fasting levels in between meals.

If you *have* some sort of problem processing glucose, the point of eating low-carb is to avoid that hyperglycemia all together. Its not punishment because eating carbs or sugar gave you the diabetes. Many people eat tons of sugar and carbs, and they don't have high blood sugar. (That doesn't mean its good for them!) I always feel like reminding myself and others that we are NOT to blame for this!

FYI, "treats" like real ice cream, full-fat pudding, whipped cream, and very dark chocolate are probably much easier on your blood sugar than cake, brownies, cookies, etc. (in moderate servings, of course). But I am already planning to have some birthday cake the day my baby is born though! I haven't eaten anything like a cookie, a brownie, a muffin, or a piece of cake in over 2 months!

#917 of 1310 Old 04-11-2009, 08:35 AM

Thank you..

What is the key to getting a low morning fasting #?

Does it make a difference what you eat if it's 9 or 10:00 at night? or 6 at night?

What a pain...I'm visiting family right now and all the GOOOOOD treats come out when the kids go to bed

I'm going to try and eat zero carbs after dinner tonight and see if that effects my morning #'s....this morning it was 129

Sarah

#918 of 1310 Old 04-11-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you..

What is the key to getting a low morning fasting #?

Does it make a difference what you eat if it's 9 or 10:00 at night? or 6 at night?

What a pain...I'm visiting family right now and all the GOOOOOD treats come out when the kids go to bed

I'm going to try and eat zero carbs after dinner tonight and see if that effects my morning #'s....this morning it was 129

Sarah
That's the other thing, don't go totally in the other direction and eat no carbs b/c you will get ketones in your urine and that's not good for the baby. I had one night this week I actually slept through the night and didn't eat my 3am snack and it was the first and only time I had ketones (freaked me out seeing that red pee stick in the morning). I eat dinner at 530pm, then a snack of one carb and one high protein food (usually a half a graham cracker and a small bowl of cottage cheese) at 930-10pm, then I get up at 3am and have a half a cup of whole organic milk and 4 almonds. I test around 615-630am and I get a number in the 90's (which is the best I personally can do and they are allowing me those numbers). I've been able to keep it under 100 with the middle of the night snack. Today I got a 90 which is a very good number for me and I was doing a dance. Emma is also right that say ice cream is a much better treat than cake,etc. b/c of the fat and protein. I've still got too long on this journey to go before allowing myself treats but I'd definitely do ice cream over a simple sugar like cake, cookies, brownies,etc. Don't fret too much this is all such a learning process. When I first got diagnosed at 28 weeks (I'm 34.5 now) I spent HOURS on the internet researching this stuff.

#919 of 1310 Old 04-11-2009, 09:00 AM

There is no one "key" to having low morning fasting numbers. It can be different for everyone, and it can change as your body becomes use to one thing and as your pregnancy progresses.

Things that can effect morning fasting levels. When you have your nighttime snack (during my last pregnancy this time got later and later, the last few weeks I was having a snack at 2-3am when I got up to pee). What you have for your nighttime snack generally a protein and a carb (handful of nuts and a piece or half a piece of fruit, cheese and fruit, I often have a spoonful of peanut butter and a glass of milk). Also your diet in general, the fasting number can reflect just how well or how poorly your body is metabolizing the food you are eating. Exercise in the evening and lots of water can help lower fasting numbers. How well you've slept can effect fasting numbers. . .WHen in the moring you take your level can effect your fasting number (most find taking it immediately upon waking is best, some find that if they have a waking spike that being up for 15-20 minutes lowers the number).

#920 of 1310 Old 04-11-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you..
Oh poor you, that would be HARD for me.

Exercise before bed lowers my morning numbers. Maybe since you are visiting family you can go out for a walk after the kids are in bed? And thus avoid some of the sweets temptation? And then maybe you can fix yourself something a little decadent but not sweet? Nuts, good cheese, sugarfree pudding (I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners, but maybe this is a time where its the lesser evil?), an unsweetened yogurt-berry smoothie, etc. I sometimes make myself a bowl of frozen berries with milk and some diced nuts or coconut- its slushy, sweet, and not at all bad on carbs. Apples with PB. I don't know, its not going to be as good as the sweets sitting around but at least eating something might help you resist. I make myself cocoa with unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, 2 drops of liquid stevia mixed into boiling water, and then some milk and/or cream (like the amount for light coffee). Sounds weird but I like it and it hits the chocolate spot, its warm and tasty.

I don't have a big problem with fasting numbers myself, so I haven't fooled around with it, but just reading this thread I have learned that like bemommy says, there is no one magic bullet.

#921 of 1310 Old 04-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Hey ladies,
Just reading and wondering the same as you guys what a "normal" insulin response is like, so I went looking for some info. Looks like blood sugar levels should peak sometimes between eaating and 30 minutes after eating your carb load, then drop off again. The curves shown in this article are similar, the insulin impaired group just has a higher curve. They did not test before 30 minutes.

THIS page has a nice, easy to read graph that shows blood glucose levels after a 75g load of carbs. According to this, a reading of 160 at one hour is within the "normal-maximum" limits but is showing some signs of insulin resistance. An extremely healthy individual should have a 1hr reading of about 105.

And for whomever it was that was struggling with the highs and then mid-meal lows, check the graph for hypoglycemia.... did you ever do the testing I suggested? I would bet that it follows that graph pretty closely. Did you ever get your doctors on-board? Sorry I can't recall who it was!

As for me, I'm still puttering along, doing pretty well with my readings, only testing once or twice a day and rarely having any high numbers (I test when I've been "bad" and eaten something where I think I've had too many carbs). My weight gain has stayed down, baby is super active and the midwives are happy with everything. 35weeks yesterday.

Mamatoady: I seem to recall that you are borrowing a glucometer while you are visiting the relatives? I would take advantage of the fact that you have it at your disposal and check after ALL your meals and keep a food diary. That way, if you are having high readings you will have more information available to you to discuss with your midwife and a plan of attack may be easier to come by. It's better to have too much info than not enough, IMO! Also, given that you are already seeing that you are having some high readings, I'm sorry to say but, cut out the treats and snacks now. If you think you are going to have to, you may as well start now, it's never good for you or your baby to stress your body with the extra sugar. Please don't be like my SIL and eat like crap right up until you get a diagnosis if you are sure you're going to get one anyways. Start eating right now, it's just better for you. (And I mean that in the kindest way possible, but I don't think there is a way to say it that doesn't sound harsh!)

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#922 of 1310 Old 04-12-2009, 01:58 AM

thanks for those links.

I still wish I could find one on whats normal in pregnancy. But I don't think I'll be pregnant much longer (I'm 38 weeks as of yesterday), so I guess I should be looking at whats normal normal soon anyway.

#923 of 1310 Old 04-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Mamatoady: I seem to recall that you are borrowing a glucometer while you are visiting the relatives? I would take advantage of the fact that you have it at your disposal and check after ALL your meals and keep a food diary. That way, if you are having high readings you will have more information available to you to discuss with your midwife and a plan of attack may be easier to come by. It's better to have too much info than not enough, IMO! Also, given that you are already seeing that you are having some high readings, I'm sorry to say but, cut out the treats and snacks now. If you think you are going to have to, you may as well start now, it's never good for you or your baby to stress your body with the extra sugar. Please don't be like my SIL and eat like crap right up until you get a diagnosis if you are sure you're going to get one anyways. Start eating right now, it's just better for you. (And I mean that in the kindest way possible, but I don't think there is a way to say it that doesn't sound harsh!)

I totally agree. Last night for dinner we had chicken/cheese chili and I didn't have any bread or anything and then for a snack before bed I had a cheese stick and some almonds. This morning my fasting reading was 131. Which for some reason is higher than my 2 hour post egg/cheese/meat breakfast of 111. I guess I don't understand why my morning readings are so high when they've had such a good amount of time to go down.

QUESTION...what is the purpose of eating in the middle of the night? If eating is going to make your numbers rise and you never have a problem of being too low, then why eat at night?

Sarah

#924 of 1310 Old 04-12-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I totally agree. Last night for dinner we had chicken/cheese chili and I didn't have any bread or anything and then for a snack before bed I had a cheese stick and some almonds. This morning my fasting reading was 131. Which for some reason is higher than my 2 hour post egg/cheese/meat breakfast of 111. I guess I don't understand why my morning readings are so high when they've had such a good amount of time to go down.

QUESTION...what is the purpose of eating in the middle of the night? If eating is going to make your numbers rise and you never have a problem of being too low, then why eat at night?

Sarah
You eat in the night to keep things more stable. People like me cannot go 10 hours without spiking in the middle of the night leading to very high morning numbers so I eat at 3am to combat that. It's called the Dawn Phenomenon. You can get a lot of info on it by doing a google search.

#925 of 1310 Old 04-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Yes, what Amy said, the Dawn effect. Basically, your body goes too long without food and starts making sugars (and ketones) and your blood sugar goes up. (Same thing will happen if you don't eat enough carbs, it's a delicate and often frustrating battle.)

If your family makes chili like mine does then it was probably heavy on the beans, which are high in carbs.

Also, a slice of toast for breakfast for me is WAY different than that same slice of toast for lunch or dinner. I DON'T get up to eat in the middle of the night, so breakfast is my biggest struggle, even a small amount of carbs makes my sugars spike. (That said, like Emma, I have stricter numbers than some, self-imposed though. I prefer to not have any 1hr readings over 125-130 or I feel icky.)

OH, also, I find that if I do something dumb like eat a bunch of sugary crap, it can take a few days for my sugars to stabilize properly again. So, it could be that what you ate was jut fine, but your body is still trying to recover from the treats the few days before.

#926 of 1310 Old 04-12-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
OH, also, I find that if I do something dumb like eat a bunch of sugary crap, it can take a few days for my sugars to stabilize properly again. So, it could be that what you ate was jut fine, but your body is still trying to recover from the treats the few days before.
Totally agree with the above. If I treat myself too much it can take a few days for my sugars to normalize.

I just wanted to do a small vent. . .I've been pregnant 3 times through Thanksgiving and Christmas (not necessarily GD, but watching my carb intake none-the-less). But this is the first time I've been pregnant for Easter and I find it much more difficult to abstain.

#927 of 1310 Old 04-12-2009, 03:38 PM

ok...thank you so much everyone for your help already--I'm learning soooo much. I allowed myself my crispy chocolate easter bunny and now I'm committing to my GD diet. I think I have enough evidence (3 days worth) to show my midwife that I'm not doing well eating normally.

I'm making a list of EASY, kid friendly (cause I ain't making 2 meals every day for everyone), snacks and meals that will help me. I've been looking online, but wondered if you all had some great ideas or good links. I know not to fully avoid high fat foods, but seriously, I'm overweight so I think lower fat options might be good too.

Thanks,
Sarah

#928 of 1310 Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
ok...thank you so much everyone for your help already--I'm learning soooo much. I allowed myself my crispy chocolate easter bunny and now I'm committing to my GD diet. I think I have enough evidence (3 days worth) to show my midwife that I'm not doing well eating normally.

I'm making a list of EASY, kid friendly (cause I ain't making 2 meals every day for everyone), snacks and meals that will help me. I've been looking online, but wondered if you all had some great ideas or good links. I know not to fully avoid high fat foods, but seriously, I'm overweight so I think lower fat options might be good too.

Thanks,
Sarah
I'm thin so I have to eat everything high fat to not lose weight but you could eat the low fat versions of some of my favorite GD friendly things.
~plain yogurt
~any and all kinds of cheese
~natural peanut butter and almond butter
~low carb wraps
~all kinds of veggies and dip
~apples, strawberries and pears (lower carb fruits)
~fish, chicken, turkey and ham (not a beef person)
~cottage cheese
~milk
~veggie stir fries, just don't use bottle sauces which are loaded with sugar
~nuts
~high fiber crackers
I do absolutely no rice, pasta, bread, potatoes or desserts
Key is to have your carbs with your proteins and to eat often.
My favorite "treat" is 1 C. whole milk plain organic yogurt, 1/2 banana, 2tbsp. all natural peanut butter and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Use a hand blender to whip it all up. Doesn't affect my numbers personally. I eat this for lunch a lot.

#929 of 1310 Old 04-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemommy View Post
I just wanted to do a small vent. . .I've been pregnant 3 times through Thanksgiving and Christmas (not necessarily GD, but watching my carb intake none-the-less). But this is the first time I've been pregnant for Easter and I find it much more difficult to abstain.
I was due in May last time too, and I agree, Easter is the WORST holiday to abstain through in terms of treats. AAGH! Luckily my blood sugars have been much much better this time than with DD so I've been able to have a few things here and there. I finished the last Robin's Egg this morning, so that should help... I've been steadily snacking on them for about 4 days.

MamatoAdy - I've been known to eat most of a smoked chicken for dinner... so I'm probably not the best to ask about easy snacks! However, it makes a huge difference if you eat meat or not. I assume yes since you mentioned chicken in your chili. So here's what I snack on:

- cheese (hard cheeses like cheddar though, not cottage cheese!)
- nuts
- wholegrain crackers with peanut butter
- ham (we buy a big ham and cut it into 1" cubes for me and DD)
- yogurt (watch what kind, some are higher in sugar than others)

As for meals:
- 1/2cup of (dry) pasta mixed with a low-carb sauce (some tomato sauces have a LOT of sugar added, Classico tends to be fairly low, Prego is high, cream sauces are generally low, though will be higher in fat) and some sort of meat. I add ground beef to tomato sauces and chicken to cream/cheese sauces. Add a salad.
- 1/2 a medium potato with meat/veggies
- 1/2 cup (cooked) rice with meat/veggies

Really, you need to learn two things, firstly, how do certain starches affect your blood sugar. I can eat pasta, my dad, with full-blown type II diabetes can eat potatoes but not vice-versa. Then, you need to learn what a real serving looks like. Use a measuring cup for the next few meals and figure out what 50g of carbs looks like. Start there, test your sugars, then cut back to 35g if necessary. Most of North America has NO idea what a real serving is supposed to be any more. Read labels and see where your carbohydrates are coming from, you may very well be surprised how much sugar is added to stuff. As a Canadian that often cross-border shops for groceries, I am astounded how much extra sugar is added to certain products in the US compared to the same brand in Canada.

And for everyone: Granulated sugar is about 700kg/m^3 (10.5g per tablespoon). I dare you to measure out the amout of carbs in a meal in tablespoons of sugar once you've determined how many real servings of carbs you were probaby eating before you got pregnant!

#930 of 1310 Old 04-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Kristen, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I though it was difficult to get through the winter holidays. . but I guess my real temptations is the sugars. I will admit I've have a few small bites of chocolate (I've followed each bite with a spoonful of nut butter). For dessert with the Easter meal I bought a coconut custard pie and had a small slice. Seemed to do ok with that. . .I think the protein carb balance wasn't too off with that (it was very eggy)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page