Gestational Diabetes Support Group - Page 44 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1291 of 1310 Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Diabetes SUCKS, I just want to send hugs your way. I don't have anything constructive to say but wanted to send you some love hug.gif
Diabetes SUCKS likes this.
#1292 of 1310 Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM

I'm just angry about it today. This is my third child. Never had GD before. Numbers were barely over the high mark and now I'm making all these

changes that truly just suck! Had my 29 week appointment today and the doc said my numbers looked good for the past 3 days, but that I may

still have to go on some kind of medication after the next week and that 6 weeks after I have the baby I have to go for a 2 hour glucose test that

will either tell me I'm in the all clear or if I'm a diabetic for the rest of my life. I don't want to hear that kind of crap right now, really I don't. I'm very

angry at my doctor today and I usually really, really like him. He was good to make me feel like it was nothing I did, its not my fault, etc, etc. but if

that test comes back at the 6 week appointment that I'm a diabetic then I'm going to be truly devastated. This is a horrible condition to have to deal

with when your pregnant because all of the hormones and emotions as it is. Anyone out there also feeling really annoyed, angry, sad, etc???

#1293 of 1310 Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 PM

I'm so sorry. I was devastated when I was diagnosed. I am one of the unlucky ones whose numbers never went back to normal. I was really upset at first, but now I'm grateful that I found put before it got really bad. The thing is that carbs are actually really bad in general. I was ready the other day that there is evidence that Alzheimer's may be caused by excessive blood sugar spikes. So who knows? Maybe we are all lucky for getting our diets under control!
But in all reality, if your numbers are just borderline, you probably won't get diabetes II any time soon. Your sugars need to be over 200 for a diabetes diagnosis. The numbers are much lower for GD

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#1294 of 1310 Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 AM

What do your providers use for your fasting blood sugar cutoff in terms of when they recommend medications/insulin during pregnancy or any additional testing (u/s, NST, etc)?

This is pregnancy #3 for me, I am 31 weeks.  We are planning a homebirth with a CNM and live about 15 minute from the hospital.  My weight gain has been much more than with my other 2, but is still within the normal range for those starting out with normal BMI.  With my first 2 I did the glucola testing (failed 1 hour with #1, but all normal values on 3 hour) and passed 1 hour well within range with #2.  This pregnancy, my midwife did not recommend the glucola, and instead checked a 1 hour sugar after my normal meal, which was about 96.  So she didn't recommend additional testing (other than watching for sugar in the urine, which has been negative).  I am measuring fine, but this baby feels bigger at this stage.  (My others were 7#6oz and 8#3oz at 38 and 39 weeks respectively).  So out of curiosity, I got a glucometer and started checking my sugars.  My post-prandials are completely fine--my highest 1hr was 119, but several below 100, my 2hr are 65-89).  But my fastings are 96-100, with nothing lower.  I have seen that several organizations are now advocating a cutoff of 90 or 95 for fasting numbers.  I have experimented with different bedtime snacks for about a week and it doesn't seem to change things.  I checked a 3am BG once and it was not low.

Obviously, I will discuss with my midwife at our next visit, but I am curious what you mamas think.  What would you do?  Continued monitoring?  See an ob and consider medication?  Just relax and not worry about it since my post-prandials are completely fine?  I appreciate any input!

#1295 of 1310 Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 PM

I was diagnosed by logging my sugars for 1 week.  They used a cutoff of <95 for me, and though all my fasting values were 90-104 with only about half above 95 they made the diagnosis and started me on nighttime insulin.  For what it's worth, I also had some post-meal values that were too high so this may not be your situation.

#1296 of 1310 Old 07-24-2013, 05:59 AM

I have type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed nearly 17 years ago. This is my first pregnancy (due 27 Nov), and I use an insulin pump. For what it's worth, I'd be happy to answer any questions from a patient's point of view. Diabetes can be a pain in the butt to manage, but I feel confident you can to do it!! 

Crissy

#1297 of 1310 Old 09-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I failed the one hour GD test. I had a blood sugar of 189 when it is supposed to be under 130. Boo! Now I have to take the 3 hour fasting test. I haven't fasted for 10 hours this pregnancy. I often wake up and eat a nighttime snack greensad.gif With twins I always seem to be hungry.

Can anyone tell me why "3 days of normal eating" is important for the 3 hour test? I mean the test can't retroactively determine if I had high sugars the day before if I am fasting for the required 10 hours before hand.

I am bummed because I have hardly eaten much with sugar this entire pregnancy because it gives me terrible heartburn so I figured I would pass the 1 hour test.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#1298 of 1310 Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 PM

I am bummed because the results came back that I had four elevated blood sugars. My fasting was 96 when the cut off is 94, then at one hour it was 205 and the cut off was 179, then at at two hours it was 245 when the cut off was 154, then at three hours it was 162 when the cut off was 139. I cried a bunch this afternoon because I hate needles and having to do blood sugar measures several times a day is not something I look forward to.

The ultrasound showed that one baby is head down and the other is breech. Hopefully the breech baby will go back to head down. They are 2 pounds 13oz and 2 pounds 10 oz at 28 weeks.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#1299 of 1310 Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 AM

Did my diabetes education yesterday. The only "earth shattering news" was that for gestational diabetes, I am not supposed to eat fruit or drink juice or milk at breakfast. I guess that is when pregnancy hormones mess the most with insulin. Basically they said eat dinner for breakfast. Carb counting is the other big thing, but I had been doing that already. 15 grams of carbohydrate is one carb exchange and my dietician gave me how many carb exchanges I am supposed to eat at each meal and snack. Learning how to take my blood sugar was a trying experience. It is a tiny needle of which I am thankful, but it still hurts. Thankfully my fasting blood sugar was well below the max value this morning it was an 86 when it is supposed to be less than 95. When I did my test for gestational diabetes, I had a fasting blood sugar of 96. Having to report twice weekly for the rest of the pregnancy is just an annoyance. Like I need another thing on my plate. That and I have to do my blood sugar fasting and one hour after breakfast, lunch, and supper.

#1300 of 1310 Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 PM

Saw the dietician and diabetes nurse today - thanks to 30 minutes of exercise every day, I am able to stay away from insulin, for now. Stress can really screw it up. If I end up on insulin, then I have to see my OB twice a week! Um, no, I don't have time for that, but I do have time for exercise. I will do whatever it takes to keep away from insulin.

#1301 of 1310 Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 PM

Hi everyone. I just discovered that drinking applecider vinegar (mixed with crystal light) lowered by blood sugar by 50pts! I'm so excited because I really want my homebirth! I'm going to keep it up and see what happens....

#1302 of 1310 Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 PM

Hum interesting.

#1303 of 1310 Old 02-18-2014, 10:30 AM

Hi, My sister has gestational diabetes and she is a huge fan of : http://gestationaldiabetesblog.com/gestational-diabetes-recipes/ ! Is this link provides healthy recipes ?

#1304 of 1310 Old 03-10-2014, 02:44 PM

Thank you for this link! Almost everything I eat (even the healthy stuff) makes my blood sugar high or borderline. I feel like I am starving myself. I am so hungry! Even turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread raises my blood sugar!!! UGH!

#1305 of 1310 Old 03-14-2014, 01:36 PM

Hello all!  Guess I should join here.  I had undiagnosed GD with babies #5 and #6 (wanted home water births so refused testing and then gave birth to big babies) and quite severe GD with #7 and ended up on insulin and really suffering.  Had to be induced at 36 weeks as an emergency because the risks were just too high.

Anyway, pregnant again and am facing the very real possibility of having GD again and looking for a/. idea's on how I may be able to hold it off and b/ support from others who understand how frustrating and demoralising it can be.

I'm looking forward to chatting with you all and getting to know everyone!

Mad Mum of many

DS1 (13), DS2 (12), DS3 (10), DS4 (8), DD1 (6), DD2 (5), DS5 (4)
Pregnant with miracle baby #8 (DD3) coming November 2014
#1306 of 1310 Old 03-16-2014, 12:54 PM

SevenFromHeaven, are you able to follow a GD diet and get daily exercise? I was basically eating tiny meals every two hours all day long and swimming for 30 minutes every day to keep my GD under control. I didn't gain any weight after I started the GD diet and I was 4 pounds under my prepregnancy weight at 4 days PP. My twins sucked everything out of me.

#1307 of 1310 Old 03-17-2014, 02:20 AM

Honestly, I can't remember what a GD diet consists of anymore.  I'm trying to find the info online but it's so variable I'm a bit lost.

I do exercise daily as I have to take my dog out for walks so that's something...  I'm not supposed to be exercising too much as I have torn the cartilage in my knee and am undergoing physiotherapy but the dogs gotta be walked!  :P  LOL  He's a big boy so I don't have the option of not walking him!  LOL

Mad Mum of many

DS1 (13), DS2 (12), DS3 (10), DS4 (8), DD1 (6), DD2 (5), DS5 (4)
Pregnant with miracle baby #8 (DD3) coming November 2014
#1308 of 1310 Old 03-18-2014, 07:15 AM

The carbs depend on your weight. I was 270 pounds when I was diagnosed. I ate 2 carbs at 6 a.m., 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. then I had 4 carbs for lunch at noon, then 2 carbs at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. then 4 carbs at 6 p.m. and a 2 carb snack at 9 p.m. before I went to sleep. Each carb exchange is equal to 15 grams of carbohydrate in each food I ate.

#1309 of 1310 Old 04-29-2014, 03:10 PM

(Also posted in November 2014 DDC)

A question for all moms who have had GD with a previous pregnancy. At what point during your subsequent pregnancy(ies) were you tested?  I should mention before my vent below that as soon as I delivered my DD through the present day I show no signs of diabetes whatsoever!

Vent time-

The RN I met with at my first apt at 8 weeks wanted me to do it then.  I refused as they didn't inform me ahead of time and didn't have an extra hour to wait at the office with my screaming 19 month old. Yesterday at my 12 week apt the diabetes nurse old me I had to have the test before my apt, despite the fact that for the previous 4 days I had done 4 pricks a day and all my numbers were well within the parameters! She very snottily told me that if that's true than I will have no problem passing the test which they say I have to take in the next two weeks.  I am absolutely furious with her!  I am VERY conscious about my own health and the health of my baby and if my numbers were high I wouldn't have any problems taking the test. They also refused to issue me more lancets and test strips so I could continue monitoring my numbers at home. I don't drink/eat sugar in the amounts that are in that awful sugar drink in my diet anyhow and I know I will fail that 1 hour test as they have once again lowered the number you can be at without having to do the three hour test.  

Both of the Diabetes Nurses were horrible people the last time around, treating me like a child and shammed me telling me it was something I did to cause my GD, are the same 2 who are unfortunately s t i l l around.  The one told me yesterday that it doesn't matter that I've been testing and my numbers are fine, that they have to have proof from "their" test!!  Seriously?!?!  I will not unfortunately be able to change practices at this time and I like my OB who is very laid back and doesn't get worked up about stuff.  It's the diabetes nurses that are so awful! I also refused the test yesterday as I had thrown up everything I had drank/eaten in the past 24 hours about 20 minutes before the appointment and I knew if I drank that awful drink I would throw it up and have to do it again! I was also thankfully put on Zofran yesterday after almost 2 months of 24/7 debilitating nausea and two weeks of excessive vomiting.  

How do I tell them that this is ridiculous and they need to stop treating me like I cannot monitor my own health. I would like to refuse this test until at least 22-24 weeks or until I notice my numbers going funky!  I have a feeling they won't allow that! My husband was at the appointment and was furious also!  The diabetes nurse wouldn't even listen to either of us!  

Advice?

#1310 of 1310 Old 05-05-2014, 10:45 AM

Hey mamasings,

Not sure how active this group still is, as I see your post is the most recent and the ones before look like they were posted in March. But I just wanted to give you some additional info from my doctors to battle your frustration.

If anyone made you believe it's your fault you have GD, they are simply wrong. GD happens because the baby is big enough to start creating and secreting their own hormones back into your body - thus disrupting your body's normal ability to absorb those sugars. It was the first thing the doctor, nurse and dietician all told me - repeatedly! It's nothing you've done, it's just something that sometimes happens. It's why they usually don't test for it until the third tri and why they are aggressive about treatment because as baby grows so does that output of interfering hormones making the condition worsen quickly. In fact, the last thing my doctor told me was I was doing great, doing all the right things and now it was time for the doctors to do theirs. ;)

I'm still learning... a lot, but here's a few things I have learned that are new to me:

1) The key numbers and times when baby gains weight is in the 2 hour window after eating. These are the numbers that generally should be between 80-120. 

2) Paying attention to your how your body works and learning key numbers at key times is critical. Journaling it is even more helpful, especially in working with your health professionals.

3) Not stressing is just as important as balancing diet and exercise. And pregnancy is not the right time to implement extreme lifestyle and diet changes. 

4) There are multiple medical treatment options to help. It's not just insulin anymore.

My first learning curve was finding out that the GD nurse and dietician were not on the same page as my doctor. That's my first piece of advice to anyone going through this the first time. Doctors are all different, make sure yours is getting what they want/expect from that source of help. The dietician and nurses also have their own opinions and theories. For example, my dietician told me not to worry about calorie intake, just my carbs. My doctor was most unhappy with that saying watching my caloric intake was just as important for baby's health and my sustaining patterns in my pregnancy. Additionally, my dietician said test three times a day without a big stress on the day time reading's time after eating. My doctor explained the danger time for baby's growth is two hours after eating when sugars can spike, so he directed me to test 2 hours after meals plus the fasting and night (5 times a day which gives the most accurate picture of what's happening). This gave him the right information to know what medication to start and where to help me. Glyburide is one of two drugs he mentioned in pill form, both of which are safe during pregnancy. Glyburide works through the pancreas, the other through the liver. Insulin is also an option. He told me Glyburide goes as high as 20-30 mg if needed. 

I'm still learning to balance things. I'm 33 weeks this week and I've been on 5 mg of glyburide a day for a week now. My only problem has been some sugar dives before meals. I have to be vigilant about snacking smart between meals, but the numbers after meals are now in check. We'll see what my doctor has to say at today's visit, I'm sure he won't be pleased with some of those low numbers - which I should add, he didn't ask me to check for, I just did it for my own knowledge because I could feel a difference. Glad I did, so I have the accurate information to share at today's appointment.

On that note, learning what your body does is super helpful! When I did my first glucose tolerance test, I didn't do anything to counter or use those sugars. I took the drink, put my feet up (darn swelling!), and then went to the appointment. I missed it by about 20 points. (Looking back, if I'd done some exercise I'd probably have passed but I wouldn't count that as successful now because the things I've learned since are really important and helpful! It's not about beating GD, it's about understanding it.)The 3 hour test I took some initiative to do some exercise between readings. The first and last readings were acceptable, but my two middle numbers spiked. Interestingly enough, my last reading dropped 118 points in one hour with just some walking around the park a few times. This told me my body can do what it needs, it just took longer and needed some exercise help. What I learned later, was it was those spikes after eating that cause the problem, not how my body still can manage sugars with enough time. This information has helped me monitor things with medication too. Like I said, I wasn't told to check any readings before eating, but given my history of drops with more time I felt it a smart thing to do and good thing too because I've had a 50 and 54 reading in the past week.

Finally, journaling, in detail has really helped me not only understand myself but also get my doctor on board and supportive of me because he see's my effort and has responded so well! It truly transformed my experience from a patient/doctor experience to that of a team. No one knows your body like you do. Information and advice will often conflict: keep your feet up to reduce swelling but make sure you get plenty of walks and exercise in, keep your calorie intake consistent and within your goal while dropping your sugar/carb intake, and my favorite: listen to your body and eat when you feel hungry but make sure not to mess up the critical timing for testing sugars of 2 hours without eating! Good thing it's all worth it eh? :)

Hugs,

Holly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page