Mothering Forum banner

Gestational Diabetes Support Group

99K views 1K replies 168 participants last post by  janenedalrymple 
#1 ·

Well this is a thread/group for anyone dealing with GD on any level. Newly Dx'd, had it before, have it again or lookign at the possibility of dealign with it. Whoever you are - regardless of whether you HAVE GD or support someone (mother, sister, Daughter, Client) with it. This (I hope) can be a place for you to vent, bitch, whine, complain, share, support, give hope to, give suggestions to or whatever for whoever/whenever/whatever issue you might have that is related to GD and it's complications and concerns.

Be blessed.

This spawns from my recent Dx of early onset GD (I'm 11w2d) and was Dx'd two weeks ago when I failed my GTT with a number of 188.

See less See more
#1,077 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaidinsgirl View Post
Wow, I just spent 3 days off and on reading this whole thread. I learned a lot and wanted to thank everyone for all of the very helpful information.

With my ds, I was borderline and they didn't do anything, but when I hit around 32 weeks they freaked and had me scared because of his size. He ended up being 8 lbs 13 ounces at 38 weeks.

This time they wanted me tested earlier and I failed the 3 hour, the same as Amy, passed the fasting and 3 hour, but failed the 1 and 2 hours. They have me testing 4 times a day, but didn't give me any real guidelines except no white breads or sugar. I got a lot of ideas from these posts though. I go back in 2 weeks with my log and they will decide if they want me to see the high risk drs they are associated with. I do not want that to happen, mostly because I love my dr.

I was just able to get my meter last night and my after dinner (2 hour) number was 99 but my fasting this morning was 109. I could cry. I guess I need to find something that will work for a late snack.
Yes, I've learned more from this thread than anywhere else. Sorry we seem to be in the same boat.

I talked it over with my DH last night, and we decided to hold off on getting the supplies until I see the doctor in a few days, since I don't have any idea what she'll want me to do and I could spend a bunch of money and go to a bunch of trouble just to be told that I did it wrong and it doesn't count. I am, however, following the diet as best as I can in the meantime (since they didn't give me an actual plan). I've taken the most common recommendations that I've seen and am mostly using them....I may need to adjust once I see the doctor and get the monitoring stuff, but at least it's a start.
I'm using 15g as 1 carb serving and allowing 1 for breakfast, 2 for lunch, 2 for dinner, and 1-2 for snacks. That's probably a little strict but I'd rather be on the safe side for now unless there's something I'm missing. I'm not counting milk as a carb unless they tell me otherwise (I know there seems to be some debate on that), but I'm not drinking a ton of it either. I don't eat white pasta or bread, so that's no problem. I do miss my glass of juice in the morning.

Are there any fruits that are generally safe? I'm having a hard time with snacks....I got some nuts and a block of cheddar today, but nuts don't really fill me up and as much as I love cheese, there's only so much of it I can eat plain. I usually have a granola or fruit bar (real fruit, not HFCS), but now I'm worried that they might have too much sugar. It's only 1 1/2 carb servings, but most of it is from sugar....I'm guessing that's not really a great idea?
I did have one yesterday since they're easy and there wasn't much else. Also, I didn't really have any carbs with dinner....is it okay to redistribute to some extent?

#1,078 ·
Quote:

I am going to try to get some exercise in later this evening and if my number isn't better in the morning, I am going to try the snack in the middle of the night. I am disappointed about the fasting number because that was one of the ones I did good on for the 3 hour gtt.
Sorry about your fasting number....I was thinking that mine would probably be okay too since it was so good on the 3 hour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
I was told to test one hour after the start of my meals. Does this seem like a short amount of time? Feeding a toddler, my meals often take 30-40 minutes.

On another note, I just read a bunch of research from my ND about Vitamin D3 and Gestational Diabetes. She has me taking 5000iu a day along with 1000mg of DHA with each meal, and I have to say, for lunch and dinner so far (when I take the supplements), I can eat almost anything and my numbers are great. Might just be a coincidence.

I have heard of one hour after the start, but 2 hours after finishing seems to be more common. I said the same thing to DH the other day....I'm a slow eater to begin with, and then feeding DS sometimes takes an hour or more, so I don't know how people do that.

#1,079 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by amydiane View Post
Are there any fruits that are generally safe? I'm having a hard time with snacks....I got some nuts and a block of cheddar today, but nuts don't really fill me up and as much as I love cheese, there's only so much of it I can eat plain. I usually have a granola or fruit bar (real fruit, not HFCS), but now I'm worried that they might have too much sugar. It's only 1 1/2 carb servings, but most of it is from sugar....I'm guessing that's not really a great idea?
I did have one yesterday since they're easy and there wasn't much else. Also, I didn't really have any carbs with dinner....is it okay to redistribute to some extent?
Generally I can tolerate a few strawberries really well & that's about all I've found as far as fruit. Snack wise, there are puddings(pre-made) that have about 15g of carbs I do well with(you could make them up yourself too I suppose, I'm just getting lazy), hummus is pretty awesome with some celery or a handful of carrot sticks, salsa is a darn near free food too.

Tomatoes are pretty good, I found some really low carb english muffins, put a tomato slice on it & sprinkle with mozzarella then heat it under the broiler. It's about 15 carbs. Polenar makes some nice low carb preserves too that are tasty on an english muffin for a snack.

I like a slice of brick cheese & some type of deli meat(I've never been told not to eat it & I've had no problems so ymmv there) for an earlier morning low carb snack too.

That's all I can think of atm, I know there's more but my brain is on vacation.

#1,080 ·
I have been eating fruit and my numbers stay good as long as I eat protein with it. I have cottage cheese and pineapple for my mid morning snack. I usually have plain yogurt with strawberries and blueberries and nuts for my afternoon snack. My after lunch and dinner numbers have been in the high 90's.

#1,081 ·
Well, I got it down to 97 fasting with the late exercise, but obvioulsy that is still bad. Tonight I will try a handful of almonds or something in the middle of the night. I feel good to have gotten it from 109 to 97 at least though. I'm headed in the right direction I guess.

#1,082 ·
Quote:

Well, I got it down to 97 fasting with the late exercise, but obvioulsy that is still bad. Tonight I will try a handful of almonds or something in the middle of the night. I feel good to have gotten it from 109 to 97 at least though. I'm headed in the right direction I guess.
i kept my fastings under 105, mostly under 100 and had a 6lb7oz baby with no issues, i wouldn't stress the 97 if your after meal numbers are good

#1,083 ·
So, apparently no matter how great your numbers have been, a Popsicle is still not a good idea. I have been testing in the 90's after meals for days, no matter what I eat really. So it is 96 here today and DS was eating a Popsicle, the kind made of just fruit. I decided to splurge right after lunch, and my number was 150!!! Holy heck! I can't believe that made sooo much difference.

#1,084 ·
Quote:

So, apparently no matter how great your numbers have been, a Popsicle is still not a good idea. I have been testing in the 90's after meals for days, no matter what I eat really. So it is 96 here today and DS was eating a Popsicle, the kind made of just fruit. I decided to splurge right after lunch, and my number was 150!!! Holy heck! I can't believe that made sooo much difference.

oh goodness! Those are so good too. It might have been better if it was just a regular popsicle and now a real juice one. Those are better though lol.

#1,085 ·
Quote:

I was told to test one hour after the start of my meals. Does this seem like a short amount of time? Feeding a toddler, my meals often take 30-40 minutes.

On another note, I just read a bunch of research from my ND about Vitamin D3 and Gestational Diabetes. She has me taking 5000iu a day along with 1000mg of DHA with each meal, and I have to say, for lunch and dinner so far (when I take the supplements), I can eat almost anything and my numbers are great. Might just be a coincidence.

I was supposed to test 1 hour after the start of a meal. By 2 hours usually my numbers had dropped- so the 1-hour testing did get me eating really differently (I had to eat fewer carbs and choose them more judiciously than the diet plan suggested). My HB MW also had me upping my DHA and vitamin D (not quite to those levels though!).

My 3hr GTT results were similar to Amydoula and some of the rest of you, where I spiked high and dropped back down. Its supposed to actually be a good sign that you'll be able to do well with the diet-control. Your body IS processing the glucose, just a little slower than normal.

Being in the 90s at 2-hours post-meal is what a normal person's blood sugar looks like and shouldn't be a problem for you. Like Amy said, it basically shows that your diet is working. Being in the 70s or something shows you are heading for hypoglycemia and should eat something, or should be eating more frequently or something.

Quote:

I couldn't eat things like granola or fruit bars. My understanding is that any added sugar is or concentrated fruit sugars (juice, dried fruit) is going to be a lot harder on your system than plain fruit. Berries are usually a good bet, as is cantelope. They are pretty "low glycemic". You can look at the low-carb diet plans (just look in the bookstore or something, no need to buy those books) and see what fruits they suggest. For some of the time (until things got better in the last month) I ate less carbs at meals than the plan said to keep my numbers on target. Monitoring lets you tailor your diet to what works for you. My snack was usually fresh fruit and a protein- usually a fatty one.

#1,086 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amydoula View Post
i kept my fastings under 105, mostly under 100 and had a 6lb7oz baby with no issues, i wouldn't stress the 97 if your after meal numbers are good
Thanks for sharing that. I can't help but worry about it because I know its not what my OB wants. She wants it under 90 and I am not getting close. Today it was 100. I have tried the exercise and the mid-night snack, so I am at a loss. I am going to go back through this thread and get some more evening snack ideas. It is just frustrating because I don't see how I can control this number, since I am sleeping. All of my after meal numbers but one have been in the 90's and only one was at 116.

#1,087 ·
Quote:

Thanks for sharing that. I can't help but worry about it because I know its not what my OB wants. She wants it under 90 and I am not getting close. Today it was 100. I have tried the exercise and the mid-night snack, so I am at a loss. I am going to go back through this thread and get some more evening snack ideas. It is just frustrating because I don't see how I can control this number, since I am sleeping. All of my after meal numbers but one have been in the 90's and only one was at 116.
Under 90? That's pretty tight imo. Have you tried testing before you even get out of bed in the a.m.? I hear it can make a difference. How long have you been doing the midnight snack thing again? It can take a week or for your body to get used to a change sometimes.

I got used to getting up at 5 a.m.(ish), testing & having a small carb free meal then 2 hours later having a true 'breakfast' worked out a lot better for me at first too.

#1,088 ·
I know for me getting my morning fasting number can be challenging. I have a big rush at wake-up time but seem to quickly even out. Basically I have to either test my blood while still in bed and half asleep or (and this has been working for me, but may not work for others) I have to get up and be up for 10-20 minutes and then test.

#1,089 ·
Hi, ladies! I've spent the last few days reading through this thread every chance I got. Started at page 40, I think. Whew!

I have never yet been officially smacked with the gestational diabetes label, but... I will be. I know it. It's coming. Here's why: first pregnancy I took the 1 hour GTT and my nurse midwife said I passed, but if I remember right my number was 150-something. That'd be a fail. I think she didn't know what she was doing. My diet was HORRIBLE. Pathetic. Awful. My daughter was 8 pounds, 5 ounces at almost 40 weeks, and had low blood sugar issues. My second pregnancy I was on my own, so no testing, and while my diet was better in general, my favorite foods the last couple of months were popcorn and root beer floats.
My son was 10 pounds, 13 ounces, and was utterly stuck. My next pregnancy the nurse midwives were worried about GD, but I weaseled out of the icky test by agreeing to monitor at home. My fasting sugars were generally in the 90s, sometimes in the 100-110 range, and sometimes even higher. No one apparently knew that was a problem. That son was 9 pounds, 10 ounces, and was stuck for almost 2 minutes. The pregnancy after that ended at 23 weeks, but I was already monitoring my fasting blood sugars, and they were usually 85-105. Post-meal numbers are always fabulous.

This time even before I got pregnant my fasting sugars were generally 100-110. Soooo... yeah... I'm so gonna be labeled.

I'm not too upset about it, as it's really the kick in the pants I need to just stop eating the carb-age that I know I don't need. I aspire to a Paleo way of eating, since that fits with my food allergies anyway. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around low-carb eating without eggs, dairy, coconut, or soy. I'm gluten-sensitive, too, but that's pure carb, so no problem. But... I do NOT like savory foods for breakfast. I want toast! I can't have any of the official low-carb breakfast foods... yogurt, smoothies, eggs, coconut muffins... *sigh*

Anyway, that's my intro. I've already taken some notes from what I've read here. Hope to get my butt moving on some walks soon, even though summer is here.

#1,090 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
I still wish I could find one on whats normal in pregnancy. But I don't think I'll be pregnant much longer (I'm 38 weeks as of yesterday), so I guess I should be looking at whats normal normal soon anyway.
This is from over a month ago, but as I was reading through the thread I really wanted to respond to this. I, too, really want to know what is normal for blood sugars in pregnancy. Why, if insulin resistance (to some degree) is NORMAL in pregnancy... if it's a NORMAL effect of the placenta's hormones... then WHY are we expected to have even lower blood sugars while pregnant than when not pregnant? That doesn't make sense. And yet, that's what the doctors want. No diabetes doctor expects their patients to have fasting sugars under 90. Yes, the argument could be made that it would be better if the patient could get that low, but it's not the standard of treatment. So why do they stress us out when we're pregnant? Everyone agrees stress isn't good during pregnancy. And yet my OB is literally holding a scalpel over my head. If I don't manage my blood sugars with diet alone... if I don't somehow grow a baby smaller than 4500 grams... I'll be sliced open.

I fought against the GD label so hard in previous pregnancies because I thought it was mostly bunk. I still think that. In my case, yes I know I have insulin resistance (I have the classic body shape- all my fat is on my tummy). But the "science" behind the disease is sooooo sketchy! Somebody somewhere seriously needs to study this accurately. I remember reading something on the Brewer Diet website (the Blue Ribbon Baby people, with the diet to prevent pre-eclampsia) about how properly-nourished mothers naturally have higher blood sugar levels. That makes sense. They weren't talking dangerously-high levels... but perhaps higher than 90 fasting.

And what on earth is with that darn fasting number, anyway?!?! That's my trouble number. I've yet to read anything that really made sense about why it happens. I've tested my sugar in the middle of the night... it's never low and then spiking high as a reaction. I don't have ketones. So why is it high? And since it never does get too low, I don't think a snack in the wee hours would help. But I haven't tried that... so maybe it will. I just like to know the WHY behind things. I'm rather pathological in that regard.

Ok, I'm sorry... my rant is over. I've had this stewing in my head for the last few days (or last few years, rather) and wanted to get it out here, where y'all might understand/sympathize. Now it's time to re-educate myself on what a carb serving looks like. *sigh*

#1,091 ·
You have a lot of the questions I do. Middle of the night snack hasn't worked for me so far, but I just started that, so I don't know. My daily numbers are great. I am actually shocked by it. My appt is on the 28th and I am curious about what my OB will say about it. I just don't see how I will be getting it below 90.

#1,092 ·
I need to come back when I have more time to reply to some individual posts, but I'm not at home right now and I need to vent and hopefully get some advice.

Quick refresher, I was diagnosed last week and my MWs at the birthing center set up a consult with an OB for this Wednesday. My understanding was that they were optimistic that I could be diet controlled, and as long as that was the case, I would stay with them but see the OB for GD stuff like diet plan, etc. In the meantime, I've been trying to follow the most common recommendations I've seen online since my insurance won't cover the testing equipment until I get a prescription and no one has given me a specific diet plan.

Well one of the MWs from the OB's office just called and threw me for a loop. She said that the OB had reviewed my records and felt like I am "too high risk" to stay with the birthing center. She was talking about insulin and whatnot already. I said wait a minute, I was told that I could try diet controlled and that as long as that worked, I was fine to deliver at the BC. She basically said that the BC isn't equipped to work with me on the GD issue, so I'd need an OB to co-manage, which is what I thought they were going to do, but apparently they're not willing. She also said that my numbers were "very high," (which is not what my MW said or what I've read) and implied that I'm going to end up on insulin anyway. She said that coming for the consult on Wednesday would basically be a waste unless I wanted to transfer completely to them, which I don't....even if I did, they're just too far away and there are plenty of OBs near here that deliver at closer and/or better hospitals.

It was after hours, so I can't call the BC right now, but I plan to in the morning. I also have an appointment there in the afternoon.

I'm not even sure what my options are right now....I feel comfortable staying with the BC and they are comfortable with me as long as I'm diet controlled, but I need someone to write a script for the equipment and to tell me what I need to do. I definitely do not want to transfer to an OB....I don't even know who would take me at 30 weeks.

#1,093 ·
I have a question for anyone about fasting blood sugar. I don't usually fast, I always eat something in the middle of the night - usually something like half of a Boost drink, to get me through. But yesterday the dietician said that on the days I test (supposed to test once per week 4x per day; I haven't been diagnosed with GD, but I'm on metformin for pcos; passed the one hour gtt), I should have a snack at bedtime (which I often do anyway), and then try to make it through the night without eating so that when I test in the morning it's a true fasting number. Well, a couple things happened. Yesterday I didn't take my metformin extended release, just late picking up the refill from the pharmacy. And then at bedtime, when I was quite hungry, for my snack I had half of a Boost drink, but it was my first time trying the glucose control variety (usually I drink Boost Plus which of course has loads of carbs, though she did say if I'm only having half, it would be ok for a snack). And then I didn't eat anything overnight. This morning, the kids woke me up fighting but I still managed to test within 5 minutes or so of getting out of bed. My fasting was 133! I was shocked.

So here's my question - what's the point of doing the true fasting level if that's not how I eat on a regular basis? I will check tomorrow, but I assume that if I eat something in the middle of the night as usual (usual for me during pregnancy and breastfeeding only), my blood sugar on awakening will be lower (not that I understand why that is, but that's another story). I thought the point of testing at home is to see what my blood sugar is really doing, not under some "false" conditions. Thoughts??

Thanks for any thoughts anyone might have. I'm really surprised by the reading I got this morning. I guess I'm planning to have tomorrow be my "test day" (have to fax the results to the OB) since I'll be back on my metformin (yesterday was a rare event). And clearly I have to get a handle on what my diet is going to be - though I want to test before I make any changes though to see what it's been doing.

#1,094 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
This is from over a month ago, but as I was reading through the thread I really wanted to respond to this. I, too, really want to know what is normal for blood sugars in pregnancy. Why, if insulin resistance (to some degree) is NORMAL in pregnancy... if it's a NORMAL effect of the placenta's hormones... then WHY are we expected to have even lower blood sugars while pregnant than when not pregnant? That doesn't make sense. And yet, that's what the doctors want. No diabetes doctor expects their patients to have fasting sugars under 90. Yes, the argument could be made that it would be better if the patient could get that low, but it's not the standard of treatment. So why do they stress us out when we're pregnant? Everyone agrees stress isn't good during pregnancy. And yet my OB is literally holding a scalpel over my head. If I don't manage my blood sugars with diet alone... if I don't somehow grow a baby smaller than 4500 grams... I'll be sliced open.

I fought against the GD label so hard in previous pregnancies because I thought it was mostly bunk. I still think that. In my case, yes I know I have insulin resistance (I have the classic body shape- all my fat is on my tummy). But the "science" behind the disease is sooooo sketchy! Somebody somewhere seriously needs to study this accurately. I remember reading something on the Brewer Diet website (the Blue Ribbon Baby people, with the diet to prevent pre-eclampsia) about how properly-nourished mothers naturally have higher blood sugar levels. That makes sense. They weren't talking dangerously-high levels... but perhaps higher than 90 fasting.

And what on earth is with that darn fasting number, anyway?!?! That's my trouble number. I've yet to read anything that really made sense about why it happens. I've tested my sugar in the middle of the night... it's never low and then spiking high as a reaction. I don't have ketones. So why is it high? And since it never does get too low, I don't think a snack in the wee hours would help. But I haven't tried that... so maybe it will. I just like to know the WHY behind things. I'm rather pathological in that regard.

Ok, I'm sorry... my rant is over. I've had this stewing in my head for the last few days (or last few years, rather) and wanted to get it out here, where y'all might understand/sympathize. Now it's time to re-educate myself on what a carb serving looks like. *sigh*
:

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, which drives me nuts. I have heard the argument that a regular diabetic doesn't have another life to think about, so it's stricter during pregnancy to protect the baby, but I also don't know how they can really believe that without knowing what's actually normal.

I am also extremely stressed about this whole thing, and have not been sleeping well....I am hopeful that I can keep my numbers where everyone's happy through diet and exercise, but I am very concerned about the implications this new label will have on my care. I am not being threatened with a c-section yet, but I may not be able to stay with my midwives if we can't find an OB who is willing to co-manage, and I don't have a lot of time left to find an OB that I would be comfortable transferring to.

#1,095 ·
Well I did in fact get dropped by my MWs....I posted about it in a new thread if anyone wants details.

I decided to go ahead and get the monitor and strips because who knows when I'll be able to get a prescription. I tested last night after dinner just to try the thing out and make sure I was doing it right. It was less than an hour after I started eating and about 20 minutes after I finished, so I expected it to be high, but I wasn't going to be up for another couple hours and I really just wanted to have a trial run. Anyway, it was 85, which was quite a bit lower than I expected given the time frame. This morning, my fasting was 82 and my 2 hour PP was 81. So I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but aren't those pretty darn good? Like almost too good?

#1,096 ·
Those numbers sound good to me! I don't really know what is good though for sure. I am still trying to decide how mine are. I have been testing for a week now and so far my 2 hour numbers are all under 120, actually they are mostly in the 90's with a couple around 107 and a few in the upper 80's. My fasting numbers are still around 100. I am anxious to go to the OB Thursday to find out what they say.

#1,097 ·
All of my post meal numbers have been great. Under 130 1 hr post, and usually close to 100. However, after one week on the diet half of my fasting numbers were in the low 90's. My office wants it under 90. The ones that went over, were like 92 and 93. They are giving me ONE WEEK to get them under 90 or they say I have to go on medication! Can you believe that!

#1,098 ·
Quote:

All of my post meal numbers have been great. Under 130 1 hr post, and usually close to 100. However, after one week on the diet half of my fasting numbers were in the low 90's. My office wants it under 90. The ones that went over, were like 92 and 93. They are giving me ONE WEEK to get them under 90 or they say I have to go on medication! Can you believe that!
Wow, that sounds really harsh.

#1,099 ·
Quote:

That is harsh. What do they expect it to be? If my dr says that to me about my fasting numbers, I will have to tell her to do what she has to do because I have spent a week trying to get that fasting number under control and I just can't. Snacks, exercise, middle of the night snacks, sleeping less, sleeping more.. nothing changes it.

#1,100 ·
Quote:

Well I did in fact get dropped by my MWs....I posted about it in a new thread if anyone wants details.

I decided to go ahead and get the monitor and strips because who knows when I'll be able to get a prescription. I tested last night after dinner just to try the thing out and make sure I was doing it right. It was less than an hour after I started eating and about 20 minutes after I finished, so I expected it to be high, but I wasn't going to be up for another couple hours and I really just wanted to have a trial run. Anyway, it was 85, which was quite a bit lower than I expected given the time frame. This morning, my fasting was 82 and my 2 hour PP was 81. So I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but aren't those pretty darn good? Like almost too good?

What kind of meter did you get? I know they are ALL considered to be "off" by 10-15%. At least, they can be. But, if I remember right, it's not supposed to be a consistent thing. It's simply supposed to explain rogue numbers. But assuming yours has been wrong three times in a row, and your sugar was actually 15% higher than it said, those numbers still aren't bad at all.

Maybe you don't really have GD?! Could you ask the midwives to reconsider? To test you again? Lab tests are more accurate. However, you *seem* to react to stress with higher blood sugars, so the stress of retesting could make the retest screw up. This stuff is so darn complicated...

About a year and a half ago I had a lab test for fasting and post-prandial. Wasn't pregnant, but the doctors were, as usual, convinced I'd recently had GD or was maybe full-fledged diabetic. I have a meter of my own, thanks to my diabetic mother, so I tested as I was waiting in the lab waiting room, I think about 5 minutes before I got called back for the fasting sugar. My meter said something like 110. Then I tested myself again as I was waiting after I'd eaten, and I think that reading was something like 95. (My post-prandial numbers are always really good, it's that stupid fasting number that gets me.) Well, when the lab results came back, they said my fasting was 95-ish (can't remember exactly) and my post-meal was 87 or something like that. SIGNIFICANT difference on the fasting! And I seriously doubt, no matter how hungry I was, that my blood sugar would drop 15 points in 5 minutes. I think my meter is wrong. And if it's consistently wrong (no realistic way to find out), then I never had GD (my sugars weren't that high while pregnant.)
:

I've heard the OneTouch Ultra, in all it's types, is the most-accurate. I want to get my paws on the Ultra 2.

I'm only 7 weeks pregnant, but my fasting sugars are already around 110. Even if I knock off the 15 points that it's possibly off by, that's still 95. I'm sooooo gonna be on insulin...

#1,101 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
What kind of meter did you get? I know they are ALL considered to be "off" by 10-15%. At least, they can be.
I've heard the OneTouch Ultra, in all it's types, is the most-accurate. I want to get my paws on the Ultra 2.

I'm only 7 weeks pregnant, but my fasting sugars are already around 110. Even if I knock off the 15 points that it's possibly off by, that's still 95. I'm sooooo gonna be on insulin...
Meters can, according to the FDA approval they get, be off by as much as 20%, so I'd say your fasting of 110 is excellent. I've also heard that the One Touch is quite accurate, but lately I've been using both the One Touch and the Freestyle Lite and I haven't noticed a difference. My son is Type 1 and we check him around 8 to 10 times per day, so I'd notice a real variance in the meters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.