Gestational Diabetes Support Group - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1310 Old 09-25-2008, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the restrictive 90 fasting goal. I am feeling more & more distressed about this. It doesn't seem to be improving. I have NOT once been under 90.

I seem to have been given a stricter diet outline then what a lot of you are stating. Altogether my carbs for the day work out to 135 or 9 choices. Definitely never more than 3 at a meal.

I've noticed a lot of dairy in some people's meal suggestions. Are you not counting dairy as a carb?

I SO just want this to be over. I'm finding I'm on the edge of tears from stress over this most of my day.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#182 of 1310 Old 09-25-2008, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was given a fasting goal of under 100, but when my fasting numbers are in the mid to upper 90s, the perinatologist increases my insulin dose. I started at 10 units at bedtime, then 14 units, and last week it was increased to 18 units. My diet seems to have no effect on my morning fasting levels. I never expected to be on insulin, but here I am. On 18 units, my fasting bs was an amazing 75 this morning!

As for milk...I sort of count it as half a carb. My dietician says it's not really a carb choice because it has protein to balance out the carbs. She actually gave me separate allowances for milk at meals. I hardly ever have straight milk, usually yogurt.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#183 of 1310 Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 AM

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to up my insulin. I'm taking 10 in the morning & 5 at night but really haven't seen an improvement over the glyburide I was previously taking. I am supposed to e-mail my numbers to the endocrinologist after a week but I think if I continue with these readings I'm going to contact him today. I'm really scared I'm too out of control.

#184 of 1310 Old 09-25-2008, 12:03 PM

count most dairy as half a carb. But Greek yogurt and an icelandic product called skyr are dairy products with tons of protein in them and don't need to be counted as carbs. Some cheeses might not either, but I don't know how to figure that out. I mostly don't worry about dairy as carbs or veggies except for a few as carbs. (otoh I just can't eat beets at all)
#185 of 1310 Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 PM

i didn't mention this last night because i thought it would be resolved by dinner. my little peanut wasn't moving hardly at all yesterday, which really bugged me because they upped my glyburide the night before. we had to go into the hospital last night for 5 hours! everything SEEMS ok but the amniotic fluid is low. not dangerously low right now, but low. i am going for a better ultrasound tomorrow. have any of you had this problem before?
#186 of 1310 Old 09-25-2008, 06:16 PM

Jealous of you, Nica! I'm supposed to be at 90 or under for fasting, too. Last time it was no problem, but this time I just can't seem to manage it. I'm trying different combinations of snacks before bedtime, but just when I think I've figured it out, my bs is high again.

It seems that lack of sleep contributes to a high fasting number, but there's absolutely nothing I can do to control that unless I lock my toddler in his room and ignore him. (i.e. not gonna happen, though I occasionally fantasize about it on particularly bad nights)

I'm just terrified that my doctor is going to make me take drugs. My numbers are fine throughout the day - they're only high first thing in the morning.

Anyone have tricks for getting fasting numbers lower?

lifeguard, I know how you feel. I did everything I could to avoid it this time, and I feel like my body has betrayed me. I hate eating only at set times and having to wait to test before I can have a snack, no matter how hungry I am. I'm afraid I'm starving my baby. When my numbers are high even when I've been good, it makes me really upset. I get mad at meat and vegetables and eggs because I don't want to eat them.

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
#187 of 1310 Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 PM

let's just be clear - eggs are the devil.

you have to test before snacks? are you eating enough total food? especially at night?
#188 of 1310 Old 09-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Susanna, really if you are hungry, test, and then eat something! Just mark that sugar as one taken early. Please eat if you are hungry, it won't help your blood sugar anyway to be overly hungry when you eat.

Fasting numbers are sometimes lower if you either eat some protein in the middle of the night, or the other way around if you don't eat anything quite as late at night. Sleep really really affects fasting numbers. Try changing when you take it, if you usually take it when you finally wake up for the day, after say toddler wakes you at 5 am and then you go back to sleep til 7, try taking it at five not at 7.

He can't MAKE you take drugs, he can strongly suggest it and play the "dead baby card" and make you feel awful but he can't make you take anything, and honestly for slightly elevated fastings and no high numbers through the day I would insist on a "wait and see" attitude about taking drugs and or insulin. You can always do NST's to see how the baby is doing if he's stressing you out.

I haven't had that problem Brandy but I have heard that upping your fluid intake can really help.
#189 of 1310 Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflippy View Post
When my numbers are high even when I've been good, it makes me really upset. I get mad at meat and vegetables and eggs because I don't want to eat them.
Me too - it feels like I'm on an emotional rollercoaster that boards 4x daily.

I have to laugh at the thought of someone standing with the fridge door open telling the meat & veggies off!!!

Why are eggs the devil? Or do I want to know. They are definitely a staple of my very limited diet.

I sent my endo my readings today & he is having me increase my insulin doses. Hopefully that will show an approvement. I have to check in with him again on Saturday to see if we need to further tweak it.

#190 of 1310 Old 09-26-2008, 12:15 AM

eggs are the devil because you can only eat so many before you go crazy

they got my followup ultrasound today instead of tomorrow. last night my fluid volume was 7cm (really low but not an emergency). today it was 13cm - at the bottom of the acceptable range. the baby measured right on target (so no big baby talk from anyone for at least 3 weeks).

of course all the measurements are subject to the normal hard to measure etc (and truthfully anything above 5 CAN be normal). but it was pretty clear that baby was unhappy yesterday. right now it appears its at least mostly due to fluids. i think the fluids were a side effect of the medicine. i was totally fine and baby was super active until my pill dosage got increased.
#191 of 1310 Old 09-26-2008, 12:57 AM

Glad to hear its back to "low normal" brandy, I do wonder if dehydration is a symptom of the meds, its certainly possible. Drink drink drink. I'm glad you were paying attention.

My "growth scan" is tomorrow.
#192 of 1310 Old 09-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Brandy--glad to hear everything is ok. Hard to drink enough fluids. Hope baby continues to feel better and more active.

#193 of 1310 Old 09-26-2008, 05:19 PM

I just picked up my blood test results from yesterday. It looks like my glucose meter is off by almost 15% (reading too high). If I factor that into all my previous readings things look much better but still not ideal. I'm really irritated by this not only because of the stress I've gone through over the last month because of trying to get the readings right but also because I bought the monitor & $300 worth of test strips in Canada & now can't return them. I'm going to try to contact the company & see if they will somehow send me a new one here. $300 is a lot of money to throw away.

#194 of 1310 Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 PM

baby was more active yesterday and definitely back to normal today. i am so relieved.

home glucometers regularly different than plasma readings. the numbers that they give you (keep fastings under X, PPs under Y) are meant for home glucometers. they also have a variable range of about 10 pts. so don't get too freaked out/discouraged about that.
#195 of 1310 Old 09-27-2008, 06:02 PM

I'm so seriously discouraged. I'm eating perfectly according to the nutritionist's guidelines - that's made zero difference in my readings. We switched to insulin - no difference. Upped the dose - still no difference. Some days, if anything, it seems my numbers are getting worse.

I e-mailed the endo today with my last 2 days results as he requested & he said he was going to call me 3 hours ago but he hasn't called or responded to my e-mail.

DH is frustrated & doesn't want to discuss it anymore & everyone keeps telling me not to worry. How could I possibly not worry when the thing the doctors keep focussing on are these numbers which seem impossible to get under control?

It all just seems to futile & hopeless right now. I'm worried about the baby. And I'm worried about me - I REALLY don't want a c-section nor do I want this to be a permanent condition (the diabetes that it). I feel so guilty for thinking about me at all, but I do.

I just don't know what else I can do.

#196 of 1310 Old 09-27-2008, 06:40 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the baby unless your numbers are super high. They do try to control GD completely but honestly not a lot of benefit has been shown for controlling mild GD, its only in the super high numbers that they worry, and you are so close to due at this point that if your child isn't already experiencing growth problems its unlikely that they will have severe ones. If you can't control it you might need to have some additional checks on the baby but it should NOT mean an automatic C-section and don't let them scare you into one.

Would you like to put your diet and numbers down here? We might be able to help sometimes nutritionists really are not so good at Diabetes. List what you eat for a meal and what your numbers look like after for a whole day and maybe we can find some holes. Very often the amount of carbs they advise are actually too high to eat at one meal, or the kind of carbs they are considering acceptable, or sometimes there is a "trigger" food that should be ok that just isn't, and its possible you have one and are not noticing it.

As far as worrying about you afterwards, you definitely have more resources at your disposal once the baby isn't in there, there are medications you can take and such, but also while GD is often a sign of later onset Type II diabetes it isn't automatic, some people have no problem in the future and its something you have a lot of control over in terms of your lifestyle choices.
#197 of 1310 Old 09-27-2008, 11:57 PM

Gd does get harder to control as the pregnancy progresses--try not to get too discouraged and take it personally. How often are you changing your insulin dose? I've noticed it usually takes my body about 4 days to register a new dose. Until then, the new dose has no noticible effect.

#198 of 1310 Old 09-28-2008, 12:14 AM

lifeguard - i am pretty sure we have all been there. i read some of your blog and here's what i think.... eat AS MUCH protein as you possibly want. Want the chicken breast? Eat the whole thing! Want gobs of cream cheese? Eat it. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I am eating more fat (and certainly more protein) than I have ever in my entire life. Eat a salad with lots of regular dressing, a big hunk of meat, and then your carb choice. Also cut back your carb choices to 30g of carbs but try upping how frequently you eat. In order to get my numbers under control I had to very very deliberately ignore most everything the nutritionist told me.

BTW, I eat little milk, except for SF pudding after dinner. Take calcium supplements or eat cheese for your calcium intake. Milk has a lot of carbs/sugar and unless you actively like milk, you'd probably rather spend your carbs on something else! I eat a lot of cottage cheese and fage (greek) yogurt. They have much less carbs than milk.

I just eat the whole apple. I avoid fruit in the morning unless it is a 15g carb fruit cup. And then only for snack - NOT for breakfast.

BTW, my numbers weren't responsive when I was first diagnosed either. I think it took getting it under control first off and then my body became more sensitive to different amts/types of carbs.
#199 of 1310 Old 09-28-2008, 03:51 AM

Thank you everyone for your support. I go back & forth between feeling like it will be ok & I can get it under control to being overwelmed with guilt & hopelessness.

We have been trying to get the numbers under control for over a month now. I did just start the insulin this week however. I didn't realize it could take so long for it to "kick in" so to speak. Hopefully I will see an improvement soon. I am little irritated that the doc didn't call today after specifically telling me he would.

I have been pretty much ignoring the protein suggestions of the dietician as they seem rather ridiculous to me. Especially as I have long been on a high protein diet - that is a drastic cutback if I were to follow her plan. The dairy situation is a little frustrating here. Cottage cheese is crazy expensive 'cause it's brought in from the states & the yogurt is liquid - yuck! I was drinking more milk than usual mainly 'cause it was something I thought was a smarter choice. Now I've been pretty much exclusively drinking water (which has always been a struggle for me) & occassionally diet gingerale - I know the aspartame is not ideal but I just need something with some flavour at least some of the time.

What is consider Really high for a reading? I was told under 5.0 (90) for fasting & 6.6 (120) for post-meal but I'm rarely under those numbers. More like 7 or 8 something - which seems way too high to me - but on the other hand most of my numbers are still in an acceptable range for "normal" diabetes (according to the Canadian Diabetes Association).

I think the 4x daily testing is what is making things so hard. It makes it impossible for me to forget about it for any period of time.

#200 of 1310 Old 09-28-2008, 10:45 AM

I'm having trouble with my fastings now too, just in the last week...I got sick and everything went haywire. If its not under control in a few days I'm going to have to try insulin I think which just makes me upset since I've been so able to control with diet from the beginning. I can try playing with what I'm doing but I do know that sometimes no matter what you do the hormones get to be too much.

Lifeguard, I wouldn't worry too much about some "7's" but 8 is getting fairly high if I'm understanding the canadian numbers.

You can make your own greek style yogurt out of that thin yougurt if you want...Just get a very fine metal mesh strainer or use some cheesecloth. Let it sit in the strainer overnight. It will strain out a good deal of the milk sugar and liquid and leave the more proteiny part of the yogurt.

Unfortunately aspertame might be affecting your other sugars...there is some evidence that drinking artificial sweetners can trick your body into increasing insulin resistance. How about unsweetened ice tea for flavor? Or what I do sometimes is put an ounce of juice into 8-10 ounces of sodawater if I'm really craving a sweet drink.

More protein and more leafy greens seems to help me, though even that isn't doing the trick at the moment.
#201 of 1310 Old 09-28-2008, 02:00 PM

Now I'm going to whine. The perfect breakfast I have been eating for the past 2 weeks made my BS high today. Actually only 6 pts higher than normal but it doesn't feel good. Waaaaaaaaah. I just popped a cheese stick to see if that helps but waaaaah. I'm considering switching over to insulin because I think increasing the glyburide any more at this point is bad, especially considering last week.

I guess it is normal for the BS to start going out of control this stage of pregnancy but things have been going mostly well. Poop.

Well, I am busy today prepping the house for the in-laws' visit. they arrive wednesday night, i leave thursday morning, back on monday night late. then they are here for another week!! Mostly I am just doing laundry and DH has a list of things he is doing (like cleaning the bathroom). I actually never have to clean. He's the best.
#202 of 1310 Old 09-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Can anyone explain this to me?

My typical breakfast is one slice ww bread, an egg and slice of cheese. It always raises my fasting blood sugar to a normal level.

However when I eat a low carb yogurt and a fiber 1 bar, it either lowers it slightly or barely raises it above my fasting reading????? And fiber 1 bars have more carbs then the ww bread and it has sugar in it. I don't get it.
#203 of 1310 Old 09-28-2008, 05:01 PM

Caden's Mom - I wonder if it's not the cheese? My nutritionist has me counting ALL dairy as a carb because of the lactose in it. Just an idea.

Brandyk - I was really (perhaps unreasonably so) scared/worried about going on the insulin. Giving the needles is certainly not the highlight of my day but for the most part it hurts less than the finger pricks.

My doctor FINALLY got back to me & I am going in to see him tomorrow. I think he is planning on adding another type of insulin to my dosages. I just feel better when we are working on a plan. When there is no plan to try to improve things I get kind of antsy!

#204 of 1310 Old 09-29-2008, 04:05 PM

Brandy, I don't have to test before snacks. It's just that I'm testing 2 hrs. after each meal, so if I misjudge and don't eat enough at that meal, I have to wait until I've tested before I can eat my snack. Otherwise, I throw off the numbers.

This whole scheduled eating thing has been hard for me, since I was used to just eating a series of hearty snacks through the middle of the day instead of one large midday meal.

I'm still having trouble with my morning fasting numbers, so I'm doing an experiment to see if I can figure out where things are going wrong. Last night and for the next couple nights I'm testing every time I wake up in the middle of the night. (Only counting when I'm fully awake enough to walk to the bathroom and test, going back to sleep if that seems like too much effort.) I'm hoping to pinpoint when my blood sugar is low and when it's going back up again. I usually wake up 2-3 times a night due to toddler, insomnia, and restless legs.

One final thing that's changed recently: I was diagnosed with low thyroid levels. My doctor put me on a synthetic thyroid hormone, and in just the 3 days since I started taking it I've noticed that my after-meal levels are lower (unfortunately, no change to fasting levels). She said hypothyroidism is a complication that sometimes goes along with GD, and the symptoms can be hard to notice because they're a lot like regular pregnancy symptoms (e.g. fatigue, weight gain).

#205 of 1310 Old 09-29-2008, 04:20 PM

Yesterday was awful. My PPs were just totally out of control. I felt like crap all day long. I have no idea what was going on. I am hoping today will be better. i had dinner last night and my # would just NOT go down. it was like that all day yesterday actually. really annoying. i think i probably didn't eat enough fat yesterday.

superflip - can you ask your dr about testing after 1 hr after meals? esp at night if i haven't eaten too much during the day i am ready to eat again almost immediately after i do my 1 hr test. most days i definitely do not wait another hour to eat. i would find that really difficult too. actually even during the day sometimes i spread snacks out too. a shot of cheese, some carbs, another shot of protein, etc. i am a nibbler!

i actually want to switch over to insulin (or a combo of pill+shot). right now i think the glyburide helps with the fasting but not the postprandials. like there is only so much insulin it can get my body to produce on its own or something. i see my NP on tues but I doubt they'll switch me over this week. i'm flying out on thurs, coming back monday night.

caden's mom - i bet it's all the fiber. WW bread actually doesn't have that much fiber for the carbs in it.
#206 of 1310 Old 09-29-2008, 05:34 PM

Brandy - I can understand the frustration when the numbers won't come down & you can't pinpoint why.

I just got back from the endo. We upped my insulin again. Plus he added a fast acting insulin before every meal. That is 9 pokes a day now - I feel so broken.

He also has me now totally panicky as he said he thought they may need to admit me to the hospital a couple of days before they induce me (doesn't look like there is a chance they'll let me go to term) & put me on iv to ensure my levels remain absolutely constant. He also seemed very doubtful they would even let me do a trial labour. I'm so disappointed & sad right now. My biggest birth fear is c-section & now it looks like I'm facing it head on.

#207 of 1310 Old 09-29-2008, 05:58 PM

{{lifeguard}}

Even if you're facing an induction, there are still things you can do to get your body ready for labor.

Since I had GD last time, I suspected I might not be allowed to go past my due date. I tried all the "safe" things I could to bring on labor in the weeks just before my due date (pedicure, sex, red raspberry leaf tea, evening primrose oil, going for walks). I was worried because babies run very late in my family.

I ended up being induced the day after my due date for reasons that had nothing to do with GD, and it went smoothly. I'll tell you, I was terrified of being induced because I had so many friends with induction/emergency c-section horror stories. But if you go into it prepared, knowledgeable, and calm, it can be all right. Look around the forums here, I've seen several threads on how to have a positive induced birth.

#208 of 1310 Old 10-01-2008, 12:47 AM

I am feeling more positive about things today. My cervix is already quite ripe & from the reading I've been doing it seems that bodes well for an induction turning out more positively. I see the OB next week & DH said he is definitely going to come along. He is being so supportive & wants to be there to ask questions about all this as well. Once we have a more positive date of when they would like to induce then I'll know when to start working hard at the natural induction methods & see if I can beat them to the punch!

I think my biggest frustration is that even though we keep upping the insulin & my diet is tight I'm not seeing any improvement at all. There is absolutely NO trends in what foods affect my blood glucose in what way. If anything my average numbers are getting worse. It just makes it seem like we're going down the wrong track. I keep trying to hard to have faith that if we keep doing the "right" things it'll improve.

What was interesting at this last appointment was that it seemed obviously that he finally believed me that my diet was "under control". I guess the fact that I didn't gain an ounce, had upped the insulin a couple times by his orders & had been testing reliably & there was no change made him take it more seriously that something is NOT working out right in my body. This was the first time he flat out said it was not my fault (not that he had previously said it was before - I just got that feeling from him).

#209 of 1310 Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 AM

I'm really concerned with all the "my doctor won't allow". Ladies please do some research, even with true diabetes there is often no reason to induce early and certainly your doctor has no right to "not allow" you to go past your due date, this is your body, your baby and your birth. I think there are always valid reasons to allow some medical intervention, but it should be with informed consent, not just because doctor said so. Especially since very few of these interventions have been shown by studies to be reliably beneficial. Remember, there still is NO evidence that controlling for mild diabetes increases positive outcomes at all, so while we theoretically assume that doing all this is helping our babies based on studied that looked at true diabetes in pregnancy and severe GD, the evidence isn't there, and no doctor can say that it is.

Lifeguard, I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble, it isn't your fault, this does happen sometimes and its hormones due to pregnancy, and there isn't anything you can do always to control it. However, there is no evidence that greater control of mild GD actually does anything for a birth and there is usually no reason that your sugar needs to be so incredibly tightly controlled before birth I feel your doctor is being very alarmist and perhaps setting you up for a c-section, unless your sugars are usually way over say 200? I'm glad your doctor seems to be listening to you now and that you have help managing this, but don't let them frighten you with scare stories ok?

Superflippy, you might do the research and choose to go with an induction after reading the risks of holding on and waiting for labor or inducing. My personal feeling is that induction is the less safe of the two, but I certainly wouldn't judge if you made the other decision, for different reasons I chose to be induced with my last birth. I know having had one good induction you might be inclined just to go with that again, and I don't think that is a bad choice necessarily. However, its YOUR decision, not your doctor's don't let yourself be medically bullied. Find out the true risk levels of either course of action and decide based on that. If you are concerned about placental deterioration (what docs usually worry about with insulin dependent diabetes) you can ask your doctor to do more frequent NST's after your due date.

Brandy, are you getting sick? Your sugar levels will be high if you have a cold or something. If its just a cold and it lasts only a day or two than its not even a worry, just note in your log that you were ill that day. I'm having a real problem with this though, I got sick and my numbers went way up. They seem to be coming down but not very quickly and I'm quite worried that they just aren't going to go down enough, plus after a week of this its been more than a few days of high numbers. Since they are going down I'm waiting to see what happens over the rest of this week, but if not Im going to have to go on insulin I think, and that's with already taking medication, and very good diet control since I've been doing it for four years now...sometimes the hormonal stuff just overwhelms your body and its not anyone's fault. Crossing my fingers that it does go down though, for various reasons I really want a low risk birth and I'm really dissappointed that all my hard work might be for nothing.

to everyone. Really I'm not trying to fault your own decisions, I think you are smart people who will make good choices, but especially with GD it really bothers me how many doctors railroad their patients into a high risk medicalized birth when it isn't even proven beneficial and how often they do it by putting all this pressure on the mom that she is going to "kill her baby"
#210 of 1310 Old 10-01-2008, 02:05 PM

Avivaelona - I hope your numbers do come down. The feeling of having done all the work for nothing is hard to cope with sometimes. I worked very hard beforehand & during my pregnancy to try to avoid this situation.

And thank you for your concerns. I personally have done a lot of research & although I do not necessarily feel railroaded by my doctors I am worried that I will be spending the bulk of my labouring advocating for myself - not really how I want to spend that time. My DH is fabulous & when I told him about the last appointment he said he is coming with me to the OB's next week so he can ask lots of questions too.

Unfortunately my GD is no longer in the mild category & it is pretty out of control despite our best efforts. Most information out there is reassuring that mild, in control GD is pretty low risk - but I'm not in that category & so it feels like things are a little bit more of a jackpot.

There is nothing more difficult than to try to discern when the doctors are being alarmist & when they really have a very valid concern when you know things are not going the way they should.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page