Herbal infusions & Prenatal Vitamins - Too much vitamins?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-09-2008, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm been taking Rainbow Light complete everyday, but just started making herbal infusions of RRL, Nettle, Alfalfa with a hint of Rosehips, Dandelion, Oatstraw. After doing some research, I found these herbs are high in vitamins, and I feel like I might be overdoing it.
#2 of 10 Old 08-09-2008, 01:24 AM

I think the main vitamin you need to watch for is Vitamin A, except for in beta carotene form. It was the only one that sprang to mind, reading your thread, but there are other vitamins that can cause issues. But some simply get flushed out -- the body only takes what it needs.

Which vitamins are the herbs high in?

Here's a site with vitamin OD/toxicity in pregnancy information:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...inoverdose.htm

And here are some recommendations for daily vitamin intake during pregnancy:

http://pregnancy.health-info.org/vit...pregnancy.html

Hope some of that helps!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 10 Old 08-09-2008, 01:38 AM

In my opinion, you can't overdue infusions. Just as you can't overdo lettuce and green beans. Mostly, your body will flush out extras it doesn't need, everything in infusions is in a readily absorbable sort.

I've also been trying, but not doing as well with my infusion as I should. Good for you!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#4 of 10 Old 08-09-2008, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

According to Susun Weed's Childbearing Year book, she states "Vitamins A, C, D and K, calcium potassium, phosphorus, iron, and sulfur are particularly abundant in Nettles". Vitamin A was what I was concerned about. I will look into your links nighten.
#5 of 10 Old 08-09-2008, 02:04 AM

If the Vitamin A in your prenatal is in beta carotene form then I wouldn't worry about it too much, honestly, unless you're really going to town with the herbal (or prenatal) supplements beyond the recommended amount. While it's true herbs are considered a food source, they are also a concentrate and/or are ingested as a concentrated form of the nutrients/vitamins/etc., so I think you're being very smart to consider all the potential effects of using these as supplements.

You can OD on a food-sourced iron supplement just like you can a mineral-based one. Water is healthy/natural too, but you can overdo it and it can have serious effects. Just because something is an herb, or a plant, or natural, doesn't mean it's innocuous.

So, that said, I don't think you're really exposing yourself to harmful levels of vitamins here from the sounds of it, but it's never bad to double check just to make sure, especially when pregnant, and especially with Vitamin A, which has been shown to cause issues in pregnancy.

Good luck, mama!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#6 of 10 Old 08-09-2008, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

The vit a is 50% beta-carotene and 50% Palmitate and 62% DV. I feel better. I'll also run it by my midwife.

Thanks
#7 of 10 Old 08-09-2008, 12:01 PM

Personally I don't like vitamin A palmitate as it is synthetic. The WAPF inf I read indicated to me that the problems with A were related to the synthetic.

I'm taking vitamins and infusions and believe it is safe.
#8 of 10 Old 08-09-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

What's WAPF and what vitamins do you take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiechild View Post
Personally I don't like vitamin A palmitate as it is synthetic. The WAPF inf I read indicated to me that the problems with A were related to the synthetic.

I'm taking vitamins and infusions and believe it is safe.
#9 of 10 Old 08-09-2008, 03:37 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#10 of 10 Old 08-09-2008, 04:25 PM

I take the Now Prenatal. Here is a link...

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails....1&pid=759&at=0

I like it because the A, D, and E are natural source instead of synthetic.

I know this because beta-carotene is natural, plant sourced A. Cholecalciferol is natural D, versus the synthetic form ergocalciferol. And if I recall correctly, the d form of E is natural versus the dl form which is synthetic.

I also like the iron as it is non-constipating. It also has calcium and magnesium in it which saves a lot of money.

It doesn't have DHA or greens, but I take fish oil and will start a green supplement soon.

The price is great too...$16.78 for a two month supply.

It took me a long time to narrow it down to this one, very few vitamins are this natural.

Plus, this is a capsule versus a tablet, so I feel it is much more likely to dissolve and absorb, also it doesn't require as many nasty fillers.

the down side is that it has iron and calcium in the same pill which means they (iron and calcium) don't absorb quite as well, at least theoretically. With so many other positives, I didn't let that hold me back. I'm looking forward to seeing what my iron levels are.

WAPF = Weston A Price Foundation

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page