Is there a book everyone reads called "What to say to a pregnant woman"? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 64 Old 09-16-2008, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarootoo View Post
i just stared at her until she got uncomfortable enough to qualify with "it's just that it's all right there in the front."
You know...I think that may very well be the best method ever for dealing with rude statements...just stare at 'em until they realize how awful they sound. I especially like it because it doesn't require me to fight against the pregnancy brain by thinking quickly on my feet for a witty retort.

The other day I was being introduced to a bunch of people and one said to me "I always expect to see a chubbo!"

He was 7 years old.

His mom tried to explain that I had a baby in my belly and he said, quite incredulously, "I don't see any baby boppin' around in there!"

I felt bad for his mom because I think she was embarrassed. But I totally understand that some children just lack a filter between their brain and their mouth. Besides, it was too funny to be offensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 64 Old 09-16-2008, 09:57 PM

"I can tell you're having a boy, because your butt is getting huge."

Someone in my very close family said she was "heartbroken" when she found out I was having another boy, because my older son is such a "handful." Sorry SHE can't handle my son, but *I* sure can and that's why God gave him to me! He is such a sweet, loving boy - and every time we go out with our children, a complete stranger comes up and compliments us or even THANKS us for having such well-behaved, polite children. Her comment really hurt my feelings...I can tolerate "your butt is getting big," but once people start to attack my children, I can't handle it.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#63 of 64 Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post
Someone in my very close family said she was "heartbroken" when she found out I was having another boy, because my older son is such a "handful."
Her comment really hurt my feelings...I can tolerate "your butt is getting big," but once people start to attack my children, I can't handle it.
Does she have children of her own? That sounds like the sort of thing only someone with no children or someone very delusional could say. Either way, that's an awful thing for someone to say. You DS sounds wonderful to me.
#64 of 64 Old 09-17-2008, 03:59 PM

"get out the wide lens"
" now i can finally say you look fat! "
"When are the triplets due??? "
"you look like you ate a few cheeseburgers!"
my 15 year old brother in law said "you look the opposite of Ed (my DH) , your fat"
"I bet you would win at a chicken wing contest"
..... I seriously could go on and on with all the rude... shocking.. and mean comments I have gotten this pregnancy... my husband and I just look at eachother with amazement.. i have decided to go into hiding!!!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page