HONEST thoughts re: the name “Fiona”! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is it... My 1st official post on MDC—I have NO clue what took me so long! Ive been following along for a little while now, and have come to value not only your opinions, but also the kindness/respect extended toward others on the site (as compared to other parenting boards Ive visited!)

On to my question! DH REALLY likes “Fiona” for our Christmas baby (I do too). However, I find myself still struggling w/ the idea of naming our daughter the same as an ogre (think Shrek)- Princess or not! I told DH that most pubescent girls typically have enough self-esteem problems w/o being teased about having the same name as a chubby, green cartoon character. He thinks by the time the teasing could potentially affect our little chica, the movie will be forgotten.

I know, I know, kids can find anything to tease about! But, do you think the Shrek reference would be too easy of a target???

Honest opinions, please! Am I way over-thinking this (ie. go ahead and use a name we both love), or do you (especially those w/ grade school-aged kids) think the name should be scrapped to avoid name-calling?

Thanks so much for your help!
-BB
#2 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Well, I don't think I would use it because of the Shrek reference. Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid were out when I was a teenager, and they're still very popular among the preschool set. I would imagine Shrek would have a similar shelf-life.

My objections, though, aren't so much about teasing worries. Fiona was a sympathetic character, and she was also a beautiful princess, not just an Ogre. I don't think that ogre-related teasing would be a problem.

I just don't like being associated with the marketing aspects of those movies. I wouldn't name a child Ariel or Belle, either.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#3 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 PM

Welcome!

I like the name Fiona a lot, and I agree w/ your husband that Shrek will probably be forgotten by the time the little one is old enough to be teased. I say go for it.
#4 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 PM

I didn't even think of Shrek when I saw the name Fiona. And I know that I'm not a pubescent little girl, but I agree with your husband. I don't think that by that time it will be a big deal. Kids' interests and entertainment changes so much that in 10 years most kids won't even know what Shrek is!

My husband doesn't want to name our baby Luke (if it's a boy) because of the Star Wars reference. I was like, "Babe, I wasn't even born when Star Wars came out! Do you really think a child born in 2010 will be all that familiar with Star Wars or even care?!"

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)
knit.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gif Surprise! pos.gif #5 due 12/16/13 2ndtri.gif

#5 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 12:31 PM

I think it's a pretty name, regardless of it's Shrek association. I would use it. However... I think I am probably in the minority on this.

Shrek will probably have a very long shelf life, most of those movies do.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#6 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Shrek, Shrek, and more Shrek. that's all I can possibly think of. I severely doubt these movies will be forgotten within the next two decades- I wouldn't be surpised if there were 4th and 5th ones.

jmho.

Quote:
I just don't like being associated with the marketing aspects of those movies. I wouldn't name a child Ariel or Belle, either.
exactly.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#7 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 12:34 PM

I love the name.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#8 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 PM

Shrek is only a secondary thought for me. I think of all the lovely friends I've had named Fiona (it is a popular name through the UK and Australia). That being said, Fiona (in shrek) is a lovely character...who values more than skin deep beauty...not a bad legacy for a child to grow up with.
#9 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 12:53 PM

I admit I did think of Shrek movies first but we've watched all three in the past month. (DD calls Fiona "Ona".) I know lots of Fionas most of which came about well before the movie. According to social security name tracker it came into the top 1000 in 1990 and has been slowly gaining popularity ever since. It was ranked 352 last year.

Remember that Shrek came from Dreamworks not Disney and Fiona is somewhat of a anti-princess Princess. I love her and would happily name a daughter Fiona.
#10 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 12:55 PM

I didn't think of Shrek. I love the name Fiona. :
#11 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 PM

I love the name Fiona, I didn't think of Shrek til you mentioned it, I think little girls think Fiona is cool no matter what the color of her skin and wouldn't tease based on that unless they were really hunting for something to pick on. And well, if kids are really looking for something they are going to find it no matter what.

Its not a totally uncommon name anyway, she may not be the only one in her school...the name is very popular in great britain and usually names that are wind their way up the charts here a little more slowly but still get there.

ETA if you like Fiona but want something unshreky and a little more uncommon (well not so much more uncommon...its around the same in the popularity list, but no major movie characters) Phoebe has a similar sound as does Leona. (different sounds but both similar in their way to Fiona)
#12 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM

I didn't think of Shrek, but I'm also not a 10 year old so kids in her generation might think differently

My first thoughts of Fiona were of a friend's cat with that name, and then the girl on Burn Notice. What about nicknames... is FiFi a possibility, and is it a good or a bad thing if it is?

If you've got awhile, you can let it simmer in your head how you feel about the name. My DH proposed a name in February thats taken me months to warm up to it but I feel good about it now. See how you feel about it a little while from now?
#13 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 01:04 PM

I loved it before stupid Shrek ruined it. I totally would have named a DD Fiona if it weren't for that movie. I pretty much planned on it for lots of years...
#14 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 PM

It was on our short list for the 1st baby-- I like it
#15 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 PM

I love it. Our last name begins with an F, so it never was a real contender for us, but we definitely thought about it.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#16 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 02:41 PM

Love it too. Never saw the movie. Fiona is a great name.
#17 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 02:45 PM

My name is Wendie. I grew up in the wake of Peter Pan and just as Wendy's was getting big in fast food. It never really bothered me. I even liked to play up the resturnat bit by telling people my dad's name is Dave (it really is).

If you both love he name, go for it. Yes, the movie is still going to be relavent, but like a PP said, Fiona is kinda the anti-princess. And I usually don't think of the shrek character as an orger anymore than i think of "donkey" as a donkey, it is all about the personality that shines through.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#18 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I probably wouldn't because of the Shrek thing. I'm not into having too much in common with the popular culture crowd.
#19 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzylou View Post
I think it's a pretty name, regardless of it's Shrek association. I would use it. However... I think I am probably in the minority on this.

Shrek will probably have a very long shelf life, most of those movies do.
: I love Fiona...it would have been our list but Dh didn't care for it. I'd use it!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#20 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 02:48 PM

I know adults named Fiona - beautiful name, they report no problems.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#21 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 02:53 PM

I think of shrek
#22 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 02:55 PM

I don't like it at all for a baby. It would be cute for a dog or cat though.

Mom to 4, & a Baby Girl in Heaven 01/2009. Missing my New Angel 12/2009
#23 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 02:59 PM

I really liked Fiona if we had a girl and dh liked it too but said he'd always think of Shrek,so it was taken off the list but we had a boy,so it didn't matter
#24 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 03:01 PM

i first think of fiona apple, the singer, then of the shrek character, but whatever. it's a cool name!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#25 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 03:12 PM

whenever i hear the name fiona i think of the little girl in the movie the secret of rhone inish. after i saw that movie i wanted to name a daughter fiona. i think it is a lovely name and i know so many little girls named fiona who have no issues with the srek movie i doubt that would come up.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#26 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 PM

I know a fiona who was a chubby girl at the time the movie Shrek came out, and she didn't have any issues with it. I wouldn't worry.

Fiona is a pretty name.
#27 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 03:15 PM

Didn't even know that was the princess' name! Pretty name, but too popular for my taste.

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#28 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 03:25 PM

Shrek is my favourite princess movie and the only one my kids watch regularly..I promote the theme of princesses being strong, independant and more than just pretty faces.

Plus I LOVE Mike Myers so if he's in it I have it.

I also know two of the sweetest little girls named Fiona and a grown friend named Fiona...they are wonderful and I only have good feelings about the name!

Go for it!
#29 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Just wanted to add, a similar name (which I LOVE) is Fionnula.
#30 of 64 Old 08-18-2008, 03:54 PM

Our generation won't necessarily think of Shrek/ogres, but our children's generation will, and that's where the issue is. There are so many beautiful names to pick from, that I'd personally keep looking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page