Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting) - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
#301 of 632 Old 11-25-2008, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
It's posted in another thread I have going right now if you *really* want to know. I try to avoid specific foods in this thread if at all possible.
Duh what was I thinking. Off to search your posts.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 632 Old 11-29-2008, 01:03 AM

OH, MAN, I bet that "magic craving" is why I've not been able to eat anything except for one particular type of food that has lots of it in most dishes. Off to find more...

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#303 of 632 Old 11-29-2008, 03:16 PM

I look forward to that first meal after labor sooooo much.
#304 of 632 Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 AM

Im am SOOOO very glad to have found you ladies!!

I have survived two HG pregnancies! My 1st pg, I lost 19lbs (DH thought I looked like a skeleton b/c at the lowest point I was 119lbs and he hadnt seen me that way in a while) and with my 2nd pg, I lost 25lbs. Thank goodness HG only lasted from 5 weeks until around 16 weeks for me, which seemed like an eternity!

I had heath insurance with pg 1 so I got to have home health and that helped some and with pg 2, I didnt have health insurance so I couldnt do home health b/c they wanted me to pay up front for it and there was no way that we had that kind of money just sitting around. But I ended up in the hospital on a PICC line for about 2 weeks.

I dont think that Zofran worked for me although DH thinks it helped. I have also had Phenergan, Pepcid, steriods (which has made me grow hair on my chin!!!! aaahhhh!!!), etc.

Its horrible! And Im glad to have found ladies to understand what I went through.

When I was in the hospital with my 2 pg, a nurse asked me if I wanted more kids, I said yes. She was in shock and said even after all of this, you want more? Absolutely, was my answer! She told me that I was not selfish at all then!

I have wanted to have baby #3 for a while now but HG got DH very scared! So he didnt want to have another baby b/c of it but somehow I convinced him and we agreed that #3 would be the last, so here we are now, TTC baby #3. PLEASE, PLEASE pray and cross your fingers for me & us (my husband and children) that HG stays at bay this time around.

Joni

P.S. I havent gotten a chance to read all through 16 pages but I was wondering, what, if anything, has helped you get through your HG pregnancies? I havent try the sea bands (well the strong ones) or acupuncture. Have these worked for any of you? TIA!!
#305 of 632 Old 12-01-2008, 11:43 AM

of all the things I've tried (HG x 3, only one mild) what helps the most:

zofran. brand name, IV even better
enlyten electrolyte strips
protein drinks
#306 of 632 Old 12-01-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniTate View Post
Im am SOOOO very glad to have found you ladies!!
I'm glad you found us, too! I saw your post and was going to link you here but Jacqueline beat me to it!

Quote:
I have survived two HG pregnancies! My 1st pg, I lost 19lbs (DH thought I looked like a skeleton b/c at the lowest point I was 119lbs and he hadnt seen me that way in a while) and with my 2nd pg, I lost 25lbs. Thank goodness HG only lasted from 5 weeks until around 16 weeks for me, which seemed like an eternity!
I had similar experience. I lost about 20 lbs w/ my first 2 pregnancies. First one I had HG till about 16 wks. The 2nd one I had it till around 20-ish wks, I think. I went down to 122 and was alarmed. I gasped when I got on the scale at the MW's house and she immediately picked up on it, asking, "Were you expecting something different?" Uh, yeah. Last time I weighed myself (few wks before I realized I was preg) I was in the 135-140 range. She was unfamiliar with HG, but willing to learn and we kind of muddled through it together.

My last pregnancy was the only one I got an official diagnosis with. I went to the ER for fluids twice and definitely felt much better afterwards. Unfortunately, because we're uninsured (self employed), I couldn't afford medication beyond the minimal script for phenergan. I never filled my Zofran script because it was too much money. I got through on the phenergan, unisom & b6, and benadryl. That was VERY hard because my kids were 5 and 7 and I was in bed almost all day long. My dh took care of EVERYTHING and we lived on McDonald's because he was worn out after a long day of work and I was next to useless due to the HG.

Quote:
P.S. I havent gotten a chance to read all through 16 pages but I was wondering, what, if anything, has helped you get through your HG pregnancies? I havent try the sea bands (well the strong ones) or acupuncture. Have these worked for any of you? TIA!!
Never tried the acupuncture, but the Sea Bands were useless.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#307 of 632 Old 12-01-2008, 03:19 PM

Anybody have any ideas about HG and long, miserable prodromal labor? I've been having wicked contractions for 5 days now, but they always do something wonky and never seem to produce much "progress." (EDD 12-15.) I never got an official diagnosis of HG, but I've been dependent on the Zofran for most of this pregnancy and completely wiped out...no energy, kid watching videos and living off fast food...you mommas know the story.

I swear, I'm not a wimp. I'm also not imagining this. I had natural childbirth with my 3 y.o. DD and experienced contractions for a couple weeks before the actual birth. They weren't pleasant, but I could still walk and talk. These have me doubled over. I *thought* I knew my body. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe it's because I've been so beaten down by all the vomiting that I'm experiencing the Braxton-Hicks as about 1,000x more painful than before.

Has anybody else experienced this?
#308 of 632 Old 12-02-2008, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2annika View Post
Anybody have any ideas about HG and long, miserable prodromal labor? I've been having wicked contractions for 5 days now, but they always do something wonky and never seem to produce much "progress." (EDD 12-15.) I never got an official diagnosis of HG, but I've been dependent on the Zofran for most of this pregnancy and completely wiped out...no energy, kid watching videos and living off fast food...you mommas know the story.

I swear, I'm not a wimp. I'm also not imagining this. I had natural childbirth with my 3 y.o. DD and experienced contractions for a couple weeks before the actual birth. They weren't pleasant, but I could still walk and talk. These have me doubled over. I *thought* I knew my body. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe it's because I've been so beaten down by all the vomiting that I'm experiencing the Braxton-Hicks as about 1,000x more painful than before.

Has anybody else experienced this?
yup. wk 36 alllll the waaaaayyyyyy to wk 43. And a day.

My first 2 labors and births were much faster. 14 hrs, 9 hrs. But then came that 43w 1d pregnancy. Good News: the actual "ok, this is HAPPENING" moments were 4.5 hrs.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#309 of 632 Old 12-03-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Anybody have any ideas about HG and long, miserable prodromal labor?
oh did I ever. you can probably still find my drama on the UC forum and May 08 DDC. 2 weeks of on/off labor, dilation, blah blah blah. ended up ambulance to the hospital at 9 cm PLEADING and BEGGING For a c-section.

I had a homebirth before. I'm not a wimp. I pushed out twins. this was HELL.
#310 of 632 Old 12-03-2008, 01:36 AM

I had HG twice and no prodomal labour either time, but my first labour was over 40 hours.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#311 of 632 Old 12-06-2008, 04:22 PM

No one has done acupuncture before???????
#312 of 632 Old 12-06-2008, 09:06 PM

Does anyone else have experience with a Zofran pump? I'm on day 10 and feeling MUCH better,but the infusion sites in my legs and belly really hurt! I have baseball sized welts all over
#313 of 632 Old 12-07-2008, 01:18 AM

I was digestively challenged for all 38.5 weeks of my daughter's pregnancy. It was trying, maddening, depressing, but very doable. It is so beyond cliche to say that pregnancy/breastfeeding is a marathon - but it truly is...I'm still breastfeeding & my daughter is 11 months old. I think I may be pregnant again & have already had mini panic attacks about another year of "the sickness" - Zofran is awful & I found no relief. Does anyone have suggestions beyond the small meals, crackers, protein/complex carbs, exercise, etc.? Is there a tea or non-ginger supplemental secret? I can't keep down Raspberry Leaf tea during pregnancy...In it for the long haul....
#314 of 632 Old 12-07-2008, 01:23 AM

It sounds impossible, but the only thing that got me through "the sickness" and a 25 hour natural childbirth was making my sick self go to the gym at least 5 days a week until the night my membranes released. Bench press, puke, elliptical trainer, felt a bit better, water, yoga...the effect lasted a good 10 hours of minimal stomach problems. I believe exercise helped me overcome...and prepared my body for a very rough journey. Plus, I lost all pregnancy weight & beyond within 10 days of giving birth & still had muscle tone in my abs...it's a miracle - it's endorphins!
#315 of 632 Old 12-07-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandmore View Post
I look forward to that first meal after labor sooooo much.
Preorder your first meal or bring it in - my room at our birthing center had a refrigerator & microwave. I ordered a huge chicken dinner with all the fixings & cake & at it all the hour after birth & didn't feel a tinge of stomach upset. It was a proper miracle! Pick your fantasy feast & have it there waiting...enjoy!
#316 of 632 Old 12-07-2008, 02:21 AM

I know marijuana has been mentioned in this thread and in desperation I tried it. I was hesitant, but a single hit killed my nausea for 6 hours. Just a heads up for those that may be at the end of what they can handle
#317 of 632 Old 12-07-2008, 02:24 AM

soumi-sofia, milk thistle is something many use for HG naturally speaking.

that first meal..ooh boy!! I actually wasn't hungry RIGHT away. I was terribly thirsty and drank 2 large jugs of ice water asap. About an hour later I got hungry and had a salad, veggies with dip, yogurt, milk and fruit. Then I sent DH home and he brought me 2 hot dogs, lemon meringue pie, cookies and some protein drinks to boot. And then I ate more at midnight! LOL
#318 of 632 Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 PM

I think I'm over the hump of it. I'm still having vomiting fits, major food aversions but there are finally things that I WANT to eat :

How do you get yourself back to eating what you should instead of what just sounds good for the moment?

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#319 of 632 Old 12-08-2008, 09:31 AM

I've been feeling like a total freak lately. Thank you ladies for sharing.

After 40+ hours of not keeping anything down (while on a presc) I switched to Zofran and had my first day in six weeks without vomit last Saturday. I'm 11 wks along and 20 pounds lighter.

And if anyone says ginger or crackers to me in the next 24 hours I might run them over with my car.

The physical stuff is bad, but the losing of my mind is worse. On top of that I think my 3 yo dd is about to go shopping for a new mom.

It is so much worse than before and I thought that was bad. My dream of 3 has changed and this will be the last time I'm pregnant. I know this sounds horrible, but if I had known it would be like this I would be filling out adoption papers instead of getting ready for our homebirth.
#320 of 632 Old 12-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Happy you're feeling relatively better! Zofran is great, but make sure you're prepared for the wicked constipation ><;;

Also, if you do start vomitting again, please don't let it go that long! Once you're THAT dehydrated, it's a really vicious cycle and hard to dig out of, even with IV fluids.
#321 of 632 Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOMI-SOFIA View Post
I was digestively challenged for all 38.5 weeks of my daughter's pregnancy. It was trying, maddening, depressing, but very doable. It is so beyond cliche to say that pregnancy/breastfeeding is a marathon - but it truly is...I'm still breastfeeding & my daughter is 11 months old. I think I may be pregnant again & have already had mini panic attacks about another year of "the sickness" - Zofran is awful & I found no relief. Does anyone have suggestions beyond the small meals, crackers, protein/complex carbs, exercise, etc.? Is there a tea or non-ginger supplemental secret? I can't keep down Raspberry Leaf tea during pregnancy...In it for the long haul....
Well, congratulations!!!! :

And sorry, no advice. Go into Stasis for 9 months?

#322 of 632 Old 12-08-2008, 06:16 PM

I am happy to announce that it's been two whole weeks without any morning sickness! About time, I'm 30wks pg...
#323 of 632 Old 12-08-2008, 07:51 PM

It seems my reprieve may be ending soon. My "magic bullet" craving is no longer a craving and my nausea is returning, though is not yet nearly what it was- no vomiting beyond once in the morning.
DH (not ds1's bio-dad and we were separated for most of ds2's pregnancy) had the brainstorm of telling me yesterday "Boy, you really slim out when you get pregnant." :

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#324 of 632 Old 12-09-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniTate View Post
No one has done acupuncture before???????
Yes, I was receiving treatments two to three times a week at one point. I found that it did indeed provide relief, but usually not until the next day. Typically, I would vomit immediately after the treatment then feel great 12 hours later.

I'm now avoiding it because of that vomiting when I return. My HG has hit a place that if I start to vomit, I can't seem to stop.
#325 of 632 Old 12-09-2008, 05:58 PM

Hey Mamas,
I have been out of the loop for...err...how long and am logging back in today for moral support. I am beginning to feel that I am at the end of my rope. I feel like I'm beginning to lose it mentally. You all know how it is... my 3 yo DD watches movies all day (we didn't even have television until this preg) and eats mac and cheese five days a week. I am 14 weeks yesterday and don't feel any relief. My HG lasted until about 6 months with preg #1.

Much of the time, I have trouble remembering why this is worth it. It's like I forget that I'm pregnant or something and start to think I'm terminally ill. Then I realize I'm not terminally ill but wonder if I would ever be able to handle it if I were (being that I'm so terrible at this).

I just went through and read the posts I've missed over the last 2...3...4 weeks (???) and it made me cry to read the posts about the meal after labor. OMG, the thought of being nausea free is truly blissful. Of course, I usually cannot actually imagine this. But, in theory, it would be good.

So...I think I'm done venting. Now I have a question about Zofran. Haha. Sometimes I wonder if it's helping me or not. But I'm scared to stop taking it and see what happens to me. So far during this pregnancy, the vomiting has been much less than the first but the nausea has been far worse. I don't know if the reduction in vomiting is due to the Zofran or just a different HG pregnancy. And I definitely don't want to be taking all this medication if I don't need it. Any suggestions? If I do start vomiting, it is often hard for me to stop and just that thought makes me anxious.

Okay, question two: what about sex? My poor husband has been denied for months now. Have any of you ladies been able to DTD? And if so, what got you through it? Haha. My husband insists it might distract me from the nausea. I insist that just him rolling over in the bed at night makes my stomach turn. I'd love to hear y'alls thoughts on this.

Blessings-
#326 of 632 Old 12-09-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirlbl View Post
So...I think I'm done venting. Now I have a question about Zofran. Haha. Sometimes I wonder if it's helping me or not. But I'm scared to stop taking it and see what happens to me. So far during this pregnancy, the vomiting has been much less than the first but the nausea has been far worse. I don't know if the reduction in vomiting is due to the Zofran or just a different HG pregnancy. And I definitely don't want to be taking all this medication if I don't need it. Any suggestions? If I do start vomiting, it is often hard for me to stop and just that thought makes me anxious.

Okay, question two: what about sex? My poor husband has been denied for months now. Have any of you ladies been able to DTD? And if so, what got you through it? Haha. My husband insists it might distract me from the nausea. I insist that just him rolling over in the bed at night makes my stomach turn. I'd love to hear y'alls thoughts on this.

Blessings-

On the first count: sometimes I can make it without the Zofran. Some mornings I just kinda "test" to see if I can get out of bed, sit in the kitchen to read the paper, etc. But other mornings (like recently) all it takes is the MENTION of food to set me off. For example, 3 y.o. DD came into our bedroom and said, "Scrambled eggs? Scrambled eggs?" I knew immediately I needed to get to the Zofran or I'd be very sick. Which is sad cause I majorly craved eggs while pg with DD. I haven't craved anything this time.

I do every once in awhile have a string of 2 or even 3 good days where I feel pretty good and don't seem to need the meds. I have to be careful not to overdo it while I feel good, though, cause then I wind up paying for it later. Rescue Remedy sometimes helps, too.

On the second count: I have no advice to give here! My DH has a weak stomach and so keeps his distance, LOL.

I am 39 wks, 1 day today and praying that I will feel as good as some of the other mommas have said they felt after delivery.
#327 of 632 Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I tried accupuncture, but only once or twice. I was so nauseous during the procedure that all I could think about was trying not to vomit there on the table. It was very hard to get out of the house and get treatment without throwing up in the car. For me, with the level of severity I experienced, it was not worth the effort.

You will feel so good when it is suddenly over and you have that baby in your arms! It was like having a terrible stomach bug for over six months and then suddenly, no more vomiting and the most beautiful baby girl in the world in my arms. It was hard to tell why I was euphoric -- our new daughter or freedom from nausea.
#328 of 632 Old 12-10-2008, 01:49 PM

s: mountaingirlbl--very normal feelings. not much does good for the nausea, sadly. but don't stop as the vomiting is a lot worse on your health overall an the zofran does prevent that.

Quote:
It's like I forget that I'm pregnant or something and start to think I'm terminally ill.
very normal. truly. I still feel that way some days (I'm only 6 months into recovery--they say 2 months per 1 month you had HG so I have a ways to go).

on the second question, I didn't find sex to be nauseating. in fact it was one of 2 things that made me happy (sleep being the other) so we did plenty. DH was so thrilled that the less-attractive parts of HG apparently didn't bother him (unbrushed teeth, vomit smell, etc).
#329 of 632 Old 12-11-2008, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirlbl View Post

Much of the time, I have trouble remembering why this is worth it. It's like I forget that I'm pregnant or something and start to think I'm terminally ill.
TOTALLY. ITA. I've cried those words so many times over the past 6 mos.

Anyway, just thought I would introduce myself, as I can't remember if I have yet or if I have just been lurking

I am 28.5 weeks (been sick since 6 weeks) and have never been diagnosed with HG (nor would I diagnose myself, I am a midwife) but I definetly have ENV. After trying every natural option under the sun (god am I sick of the "have you tried...."), I've been trying the local medical options here that my OB recommended...even a pre-dehydration IV, but they haven't helped a ton-- some, but not enough. SO yesterday I went in sobbing (he didn't even look at me, doctors ....how am I gonna do this for another 3 months....there must be something stronger....have you heard of zofran....do you have that here in Malaysia?......So today I started zofran and unless this is just a fluke and I'll be back to retching tomorrow, I feel great. Not even a dry heave yet and it's 2pm. I am usually much better in the afternoon anyway.

I am planning an illegal homebirth here...flying in my friend and midwife at 40 weeks. If baby comes sooner I will go to the hospital. Anyone else feel like they totally don't have the strength to labor and push this baby out? I am seriously doubting myself and my abilities after feeling so nutritionally and emotionally depleted with this sickness.

Thanks for this tribe-- I feel less alone

Love,
Vanessa

Miles (December 2005) Pascual (March 2009). P's was my beautiful home waterbirth that healed me from my M's birth. natural birth, midwifery, postpartum depression, babywearing, breastfeeding.
#330 of 632 Old 12-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Anyone else feel like they totally don't have the strength to labor and push this baby out? I am seriously doubting myself and my abilities after feeling so nutritionally and emotionally depleted with this sickness.
oh yes. right up to the very end when I was being transported to the hospital via ambulence begging for a c-section because I truly believed I couldn't do it. Luckily for me, I guess, the tiny hospital here was having a busy memorial day weekend and 2 other births and wasn't in any position to accomodate my desire for c-section and the doctor I got said I could do it and had better start pushing. what my body didn't have the energy for was the placenta and that took manual extraction with a lot of pitocin to stop the hemorrhaging.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page