Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting) - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
First ... 3  11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
I'm Pregnant > Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting)
littlemomma's Avatar littlemomma 04:05 PM 01-13-2009
For me, this is the worst.

Anyone else have it? I just spit and spit and spit. Every 10 seconds or so. It is SO GROSS and I feel so lonely and isolated because of it.

I'm researching things to do, but it seems like, as I did last time, I am just going to have to wait it out...

Like a previous poster, I am really wondering what I was smoking to think that I should get pregnant again. =(

guestmama9972's Avatar guestmama9972 04:43 PM 01-13-2009
I just found this thread and am so glad to see it here. I am an HG survivor. I had a fine first pregnancy, a moderate case of HG during my second, and a severe case during my third. I nearly died due to some complications from the resulting medical issues. Thankfully dd and I made it through ok although I am still healing in many ways from the trauma of it all. I had the same thing that many of you have endured or are now experiencing: drastic weight loss, malnutrion, dehydration, many different meds, depression and anxiety, a zofran pump, a picc line, and multiple hospitalizations. All of that led to severe anemia, septicemia, and I had some bad drug reactions to boot.

Will I ever be pregnant again? NEVER.

I haven't read all the posts yet but hope to go over them and read all about your experiences.

Thanks for this safe place to share. It is nice to know that you all understand.
mom2annika's Avatar mom2annika 05:24 PM 01-13-2009
I haven't been back to this thread in awhile since my babe is now three weeks old. She's my second babe, but my first experience with the awful h*ll that was ENV. I could not stop puking. The Zofran was the only thing that gave me any relief (with a semblance of a normal life; like someone else said, the Phenergen made me so sleepy I couldn't get out of bed anyway...so it was a wash.)

I wish I had taken a Zofran the morning I went into labor. I kept puking and finally my MW's insisted on an IV since I couldn't stop and hadn't eaten or drank anything all day (midday after labor started in earnest around 5 am). I had miserable early labor for over a month; my body was so beaten down I seriously don't know how I got through it.

But she's HERE! 9 lbs, 4 oz, at birth and three weeks old now. And I can eat whatever I want, drink whatever I want, and I haven't puked in three weeks!!! :

Like some of the other posters, I don't know if I will ever risk this again. But I'm trying to convince myself there's plenty of time to think about that...later.

to all those still struggling.
Talula Fairie 05:42 PM 01-13-2009
I must have forgotten how awful this is. I've had moderate/mild HG in both previous pregnancies for the first 26 weeks, with #1 it started up again at 36 weeks and continued to the end of the pregnancy.

Now I am pregnant again (closing in on 9 weeks). The only reason I am keeping anything down at all is becuase I'm on Zofran, which helps. I've only kept one meal down in the last two days. I just can't stop vomiting. My house is a pit of filth becuase I can't clean it and my husband won't, I'm very depressed over it all. I'm not being a good mother to my kids and it just feels like the world is crashing in on me.

I AM NEVER GETTING PREGNANT AGAIN.
Azreial's Avatar Azreial 05:47 PM 01-13-2009
Has anyone had the nausea go almost all the way away and start to come back? I had a good month and a half but am back to battling with myself to eat and waking up with nausea. I went 2 weeks with meds but am taking something daily now
Talula Fairie 05:49 PM 01-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
Has anyone had the nausea go almost all the way away and start to come back? I had a good month and a half but am back to battling with myself to eat and waking up with nausea. I went 2 weeks with meds but am taking something daily now
Yes. In my first pregnancy it stopped around week 25 and started up again pretty bad at 36 weeks and didn't go away until I had the baby :/
mom2annika's Avatar mom2annika 12:05 AM 01-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Yes. In my first pregnancy it stopped around week 25 and started up again pretty bad at 36 weeks and didn't go away until I had the baby :/
Me too. Had a few good weeks around 25-30ish but then we got hit with a hurricane and it all came back with a vengeance (sp?) Didn't go away again til after I delivered.
mags's Avatar mags 02:25 AM 01-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
Has anyone had the nausea go almost all the way away and start to come back? I had a good month and a half but am back to battling with myself to eat and waking up with nausea. I went 2 weeks with meds but am taking something daily now
With pregnancy #1, n/v all the way to the end. With pregnancy #2, I had almost a 2 month hiatus from the n/v midway through my 2nd tri and then it came back and didn't go away until I gave birth. Now pg with #3, which has been the most severe case so far and I'm feeling like I'm not going to have it for the entire time.
Lovin' It's Avatar Lovin' It 07:05 PM 01-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
Warning: Venty ranting ahead.

Can I just say... I am so SICK of being SICK. I'm sick of the constant, intense nausea. I'm sick of having to force myself to eat even the tiniest amounts. I'm sick of everything I do manage to force down making me feel worse. I'm frustrated, I'm exhausted and I'm sick and tired of being miserable.

:

Can't even really type. I'm getting so depressed.
lil_miss_understood's Avatar lil_miss_understood 02:00 AM 01-16-2009
I went to my mw appt today and got admitted to hospital for hydration and vitamins. They did an u/s to rule out gall stones, kidney and liver problems (no results back yet- I'm seriously doubting anything will show up) and are saying they're going to keep me for 2 or 3 days.
I'm more annoyed than anything. I want to be at home. I'm worried that my "baby" is going to give DH a hard time (he still nurses to sleep) and I'm worried about what they're going to be eating. DH brought me the laptop so I'm not completely bored out of my head but I hate navigating the net with no mouse.
Silly as it is, I almost feel *worse* now that I'm getting hydrated. My nausea isn't much better (I'm not gagging/retching) but my head is killing me. On the upside, my mouth isn't "sticky" feeling anymore and my eyes tear when I yawn (which they normally do but weren't for about a week). And hopefully DH will actually start taking me a little more seriously when I say that I feel wretched.
They've offered Zofran to me, but I'm on no food or drink until noon tomorrow so I'm not sure I see the point. Now that I'm being hydrated, I'm so incredibly tired too.
MomtoXane's Avatar MomtoXane 01:15 PM 01-16-2009
Did anyone beg to be induced? I started throwing up at 3w5d, so this pregnancy seems to have gone on forever! Thankfully I'm not nearly as sick as I was in the beginning, but I'm really anxious to just be over and done with it all.
mom2annika's Avatar mom2annika 03:19 PM 01-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
They've offered Zofran to me, but I'm on no food or drink until noon tomorrow so I'm not sure I see the point. Now that I'm being hydrated, I'm so incredibly tired too.
Why not rest, then, and try the Zofran? It was the only thing that worked for me. It *might* stop the nausea for you. I remember when I first took it I actually felt hungry for the first time in months, so DD1 and I went out to breakfast to celebrate! If the Zofran works it might keep you out of the hospital again. GL!
mom2annika's Avatar mom2annika 03:21 PM 01-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoXane View Post
Did anyone beg to be induced? I started throwing up at 3w5d, so this pregnancy seems to have gone on forever! Thankfully I'm not nearly as sick as I was in the beginning, but I'm really anxious to just be over and done with it all.
Yes. If I had been with a regular OB practice instead of MWs I definitely would have taken an induction, even a c-section, drugs and all. I was glad I had set it up so it wouldn't be offered (by using MWs)---but by the end I was completely miserable.

I understand. It really won't go on for-ev-er.
lil_miss_understood's Avatar lil_miss_understood 03:30 PM 01-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2annika View Post
Why not rest, then, and try the Zofran? It was the only thing that worked for me. It *might* stop the nausea for you. I remember when I first took it I actually felt hungry for the first time in months, so DD1 and I went out to breakfast to celebrate! If the Zofran works it might keep you out of the hospital again. GL!
Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to try the Zofran today. I'm just so stubborn and still half-convinced I'm just being a big baby and just need to "suck it up". Right. Because that's not how I ended up in the hospital, right?
I hope this post doesn't offend anyone. I'm not as harsh with other people as I am with myself, fwiw.
christibale's Avatar christibale 03:35 PM 01-16-2009
Hugs to everyone that is having these problems.

We will get through it. I am feeling a little better these days, which is a plus!
LavenderMae's Avatar LavenderMae 04:35 PM 01-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemomma View Post
For me, this is the worst.

Anyone else have it? I just spit and spit and spit. Every 10 seconds or so. It is SO GROSS and I feel so lonely and isolated because of it.

I'm researching things to do, but it seems like, as I did last time, I am just going to have to wait it out...

Like a previous poster, I am really wondering what I was smoking to think that I should get pregnant again. =(

I had the excessive saliva 2 out of 3 pregs, it was so bad last time I had to carry a cup (so so sorry for the grossness). It truly sucked. Huge to you because I know how serioulsy crappy it is.

And 's to all of you and as much as it sucks right now you will get through it and at the end of it you get a really cute , yummy smelling baby. (don't shoot me I know that might not be so helpful right now)
holyhelianthus's Avatar holyhelianthus 10:01 PM 01-16-2009
Went to the ER on Monday and got fluid and such. Felt so much better and haven't puked since. :

But I am still really weak (she put me on bed rest for 4 to 6 weeks) so the doc sent me for an ultrasound. Turns out we are having twins.

I'm not sure what my HG is doing or what is going on with that. The Phenogren has been a total life saver which is great because it never worked before.

I wish all of the mamas here the best!!!! It is so so hard, I know.
lil_miss_understood's Avatar lil_miss_understood 02:13 AM 01-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Went to the ER on Monday and got fluid and such. Felt so much better and haven't puked since. :

But I am still really weak (she put me on bed rest for 4 to 6 weeks) so the doc sent me for an ultrasound. Turns out we are having twins.

I'm not sure what my HG is doing or what is going on with that. The Phenogren has been a total life saver which is great because it never worked before.

I wish all of the mamas here the best!!!! It is so so hard, I know.
: Congrats mama!

I took a shot of Zofran this morning after I posted and I can't *believe* how much better I feel. Of course, because of the expense, they are prescribing Phenergan (sp?) for when I'm released tomorrow. I'm supposed to be on it presently but I don't know when they're supposed to administer it.
I managed to eat and drink everything they put in front of me today- although I hadn't eaten anything in 42 hours by the time I was allowed to eat, so between that, the 2 bags of vitamin water and 2-3 bags of "plain" fluids and the Zofran probably did it- and I'm honestly still kind of hungry but I'm scared to ask for more.
Also feeling really stupid. My mw apparently told me the last time I saw her to call her and let her know if the Unisom didn't help and she'd prescribe Phenergan. I honestly forgot and I feel *really* stupid- how could I forget she said that?! I think she's a little upset with me- she kept referring to the hospital as "hotel <hospital name>"- "We don't want to have to readmit you to "hotel <hospital name>" every couple of weeks."- I felt slapped in the face by that. I felt like she was saying I came here for a vacation (she also seems convinced that most of my problem is just stress). Blah.
Anyway, that's what's up here. Basically feeling really dumb, a little hurt and really hoping I can get released tomorrow, although I'm concerned about that too since I know that DH still doesn't really *get* how sick I am- and I am *so bad* for advocating for myself.
Talula Fairie 09:56 PM 01-17-2009
Since yesterday:

meals thrown up: 3

meals kept down: 0

someone put me out of my misery!
lil_miss_understood's Avatar lil_miss_understood 10:00 PM 01-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Since yesterday:

meals thrown up: 3

meals kept down: 0

someone put me out of my misery!
I can't put you out of your misery, but I can say I'm sorry you're feeling so bad and I've been there.
Hang in, mama. One less day to go.
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 08:06 PM 01-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Went to the ER on Monday and got fluid and such. Felt so much better and haven't puked since. :

But I am still really weak (she put me on bed rest for 4 to 6 weeks) so the doc sent me for an ultrasound. Turns out we are having twins.

I'm not sure what my HG is doing or what is going on with that. The Phenogren has been a total life saver which is great because it never worked before.

I wish all of the mamas here the best!!!! It is so so hard, I know.


:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :
mags's Avatar mags 10:48 PM 01-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Went to the ER on Monday and got fluid and such. Felt so much better and haven't puked since. :

But I am still really weak (she put me on bed rest for 4 to 6 weeks) so the doc sent me for an ultrasound. Turns out we are having twins.

I'm not sure what my HG is doing or what is going on with that. The Phenogren has been a total life saver which is great because it never worked before.

I wish all of the mamas here the best!!!! It is so so hard, I know.
Wow! Congrats! I'm glad you feel better too. That must be such a great feeling!

I landed myself at the hospital today, but for different reasons. I had such severe urinary retention, had to get straight cathed (I could not pee at all) and now I am stuck with a foley catheter with one of those annoying leg urine bags. My ob thinks it is b/c my uterus is still sitting down low and blocking my ureter, so that is why I can't empty my bladder (they drained 1300cc, I was in so much pain). I keep wondering if it's a side effect from the Zofran. He doesn't think it is, but I have not had this issue with my other pregnancies, and this is the only one where I have been really big on using Zofran. I got by mostly on phenergan with my last pregnancy and with my first pregnancy, I was too afraid to take anything for my n/v. I will go back to the hospital on Tuesday to see if I can void on my own completely, if not, I get to get another foley again.
chrissy's Avatar chrissy 08:19 PM 01-27-2009
hi mamas,

i'm not sure if i really belong here, but i have a question i thought some of you could answer. do any of you take unisom/b6 during the day, or only at night?

i am 14 weeks pregnant and still miserable. i am taking 1/2 unisom and b6 at night and i do feel better in the mornings. it doesn't make me feel 100%, but it helps. but in the late afternoons, early evenings, i am totally miserable again. i was thinking of trying the unisom/b6 but i'm not sure if it will knock me out- i have 3 other kids.

help.
lil_miss_understood's Avatar lil_miss_understood 08:29 PM 01-27-2009
I took Unisom for a while- the B6 made me sick. I still had "breakthrough" days on Unisom. Anyway.
I did take it during the day- only 1/4 tab at a time but it still knocked me on my butt. Very tired, but now I'm wondering if that's not just part of HG/NVP.
All I can say is try it and see if it works for you. Just remember that you cannot take more than 80mgs per day- a regular Unisom is 25mgs.
mags's Avatar mags 09:23 PM 01-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
hi mamas,

i'm not sure if i really belong here, but i have a question i thought some of you could answer. do any of you take unisom/b6 during the day, or only at night?

i am 14 weeks pregnant and still miserable. i am taking 1/2 unisom and b6 at night and i do feel better in the mornings. it doesn't make me feel 100%, but it helps. but in the late afternoons, early evenings, i am totally miserable again. i was thinking of trying the unisom/b6 but i'm not sure if it will knock me out- i have 3 other kids.

help.
Chrissy, have you talked to your MW or doctor about Zofran? When I was just trying to manage my n/v on my own with the Unisom/B6, it just wasn't cutting it. Now I am on Zofran. I should increase my Zofran dosage, but I'm afraid that it will make the constipation worse (which I somehow feel was related to my urinary retention episode I posted about on the July 09 DDC last wk). The zofran does help. It doesn't take away a lot of the nausea feeling, BUT it helped decrease the amt of vomiting. Another drug that you might want to try is pherghan. I used this with my last pregnancy, BUT the side effect is drowsiness and after using it for a little bit, it stopped working for me. I say that if the unisom is not cutting it, you need to speak to your HCP about something else to help you get through this.
Talula Fairie 10:04 PM 01-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
hi mamas,

i'm not sure if i really belong here, but i have a question i thought some of you could answer. do any of you take unisom/b6 during the day, or only at night?

i am 14 weeks pregnant and still miserable. i am taking 1/2 unisom and b6 at night and i do feel better in the mornings. it doesn't make me feel 100%, but it helps. but in the late afternoons, early evenings, i am totally miserable again. i was thinking of trying the unisom/b6 but i'm not sure if it will knock me out- i have 3 other kids.

help.
zofran is a miracle drug. and it doesn't make me drowsy.

no, it doesn't work all the time and i still vomit sometimes or get queasy, but it helps a whole lot.
the_lissa's Avatar the_lissa 11:20 PM 01-27-2009
I take 4 diclectin a day, but have taken up to 8. One diclectin has the equivalent of 1/2 a unisom and 10 mg of b6.

I take two before bed and one twice daily.
jordanac's Avatar jordanac 11:29 PM 01-27-2009
Hi All - I'm in recovery from HG - my 4th pregnancy - it's been a LONG road that began the 1st of Nov.

HUGS to all of you still walking the long difficult road - the end of the sickness WILL COME - even if it doesn't seem like it will - hang in there!

Just wanted to say that I took a drug this time that worked amazingly well - it's called Kytril. My insurance wouldn't approve Zofran but would approve this chemo drug because it is FDA approved safe in pregnancy. I never had success with Zofran but Kytril made a difference immediately in my nausea/vomitting. Unfortunately, I didn't start taking it until I had lost 20 some odd pounds, but it kept me from getting worse and helped me stop vomitting mulitple times a day.

I hope that maybe someone can find the same relief from that drug that I did. I'll be happy to talk further with anyone walking through HG right now and also more about Kytril.

Hang in there!
mags's Avatar mags 11:34 PM 01-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanac View Post

Just wanted to say that I took a drug this time that worked amazingly well - it's called Kytril. My insurance wouldn't approve Zofran but would approve this chemo drug because it is FDA approved safe in pregnancy. I never had success with Zofran but Kytril made a difference immediately in my nausea/vomitting. Unfortunately, I didn't start taking it until I had lost 20 some odd pounds, but it kept me from getting worse and helped me stop vomitting mulitple times a day.

I hope that maybe someone can find the same relief from that drug that I did. I'll be happy to talk further with anyone walking through HG right now and also more about Kytril.

Hang in there!
Do you mind if I ask what the dosing is like for Kytril? I may ask my ob about it at my next appt. The zofran only helps me with the vomiting, but not the nausea part.
Talula Fairie 01:20 AM 01-30-2009
Woke up last night at 2 am and started the barf o rama. It was like every hour until I finally called Kaiser at 8 and went in at 10:50 (my midwife said I did the right thing). The lady who did my IV totally messed it up, couldn't get the vain and was trying FOREVER, and then went a little further down in the same useless vain.

Then because she wanted to go to lunch she put the IV wiiiiide open. Like I finished the bag in about 15 minutes (brrrr!). Towards the end it lost the vain (OUCH). So needless to say, my arm really freaking hurts. The Zofran injection helped, but I have been totally useless today, trying to get food down one bite at a time, laying on the couch willing myself not to throw up again.

Oh and to top it all off? I had an appointment to get the nightguard for my TMJ, we finally got our tax return...I had stuff to do! Instead I laid on the couch all day wanting to die while my family went out and had fun.

Now my tmj and my head hurts something awful from clenching my jaw from being queasy.

Can't this just be over soon?

11 weeks now.
First ... 3  11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up