Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting) - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I checked out this thread because I am constantly sick--not vomiting, but SICK. This is my third pregnancy, I am 6 weeks along, and I have been sick with both of my previous pregnancies, but not like this. I can hardly eat anything, everything smells totally dreadful, and none of the traditional remedies (ginger chews, crackers, lemon, B vitamins) seem to be working. I feel mildly nauseated in the AM when I wake up, and it just gets progressively worse throughout the day. By 3PM or so I can barely do anything, I just have to lay on the couch and groan . As soon as I get my kids in bed I go to bed just to escape the nausea. But it's not just nausea, I feel sick. I'm dizzy, queasy if I drink too much liquid at a time, my head hurts, and I feel so weak. But, I also feel really hungry. My stomach growls and feels awful, but I can only eat a tiny bit at a time, and can only eat certain foods--mostly carbs. How do I know if this is not just really bad MS that will pass after the first trimester? Do I just have to wait until after that and see if I still feel like I have the plague? Any advice would be very welcome.

JacquelineR: I have a 5 year old named Aristotle! I have never known of another one until I saw your son's name in your signature. Glad to know there's another one out there!

Brin, wife to my best friend , mother of three . and now homeschooling!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 PM

I think there are actually a couple more Aristotles floating around on the board... Yours is the first one I actually know of besides my own, as well. It's the #1 name in Greece though, so if you ever visit there.

Here is where I was sent by someone on this board when I wasn't sure that I had HG (which I still question sometimes- I consider my case to be borderline, though borderline with HG is still hellish).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the support ladies you don't know how good it feel to be validated even online.

I am able to stay hydrated just fine it's just food. Basically nothing sounds/tastes/smells good and after I eat the nausea gets far worse debilitating for some time and if I try and eat any protein meat/nuts I am in agony for days. Small frequent meals makes my condition so so so much worse. Just being around food makes me ill thinking about food makes me ill. I feel so hopeless and sick all the time is consumes me completely. My poor dh and kids are really paying a price as well and my guilt is huge. I had no idea something like this could start after several normal pregnancies.

I am going to talk to my midwife this week with my dh with me for support and try and get a scrip for something. I was under the impression the meds were just for vomiting not for nausea. I'm willing to take just about anything at this point as I truly believe my body is on the verge of a mega break down.

Sorry to be so wordy I'm just at a breaking point.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Zofran really helped with my nausea. Everyone's experience is different. For some it helps, for some it doesn't.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

You girls worry about being borderline. I didn't get hospitalization or meds for my first 2 pregnancies. Only w/ my 3rd. And I couldn't afford to have them refilled.

Just because you don't go to the hospital or get meds doesn't mean it doesn't suck! You are welcome here. Never worry about that. Constant nausea, in my experience, was just as debilitating as the vomiting was.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
You girls worry about being borderline. I didn't get hospitalization or meds for my first 2 pregnancies. Only w/ my 3rd. And I couldn't afford to have them refilled.

Just because you don't go to the hospital or get meds doesn't mean it doesn't suck! You are welcome here. Never worry about that. Constant nausea, in my experience, was just as debilitating as the vomiting was.
Have I told you lately that I you?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Have I told you lately that I you?
Me too. I figure though I spent 3 weeks on the living room floor in the fetal position every night, as long as I wasn't hospitalized or losing weight, I figured I didn't really HAVE HG. It seems like it downplays the problems so many mamas have here that are so much worse than mine. But I agree, even borderline totally sucks. : I still am waiting for a day that I'm not a little nauseous (at 20 weeks).

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 AM

I would never *ever* downplay PICC lines or TPN, or at home IV hydration, or being on so many meds that it makes a pharmacy look homey. I would never say that borderline HG is "as bad as" puking so much, so hard and for so long that every blood vessel in your face has burst (as I know for a fact a friend did).
Does it suck? Yes. Is there help? For those of us who are only borderline, thankfully that answer is definitely yes. For those with severe HG, unfortunately there may be some help, but no *real* relief, from what I understand.
I'm pretty sure that those who do have/did have severe HG would agree with me though in being thankful that there *is* a spectrum and that not every woman who has HG "has to" have severe HG. And I'm grateful every day to the mamas who have had or do have severe HG. Without them, there would be so many of us who were left crying over a toilet/crying helplessly on the couch wondering why we couldn't just "suck it up" like a good little pregnant girl.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:25 PM

Oh my gosh, thank you thank you thank you! No one really believed me either, except DH, who's been with me ten years and knows that I would soldier on with a broken leg if no one called me on it. It's really hard to get a grip on reality when your reality is the four walls of the bathroom all day, every day.

To the poster that said her MW didn't seem to be taking it seriously: don't wait! The longer the nausea and vomiting go on, the harder it will be to get it stopped. Zofran was a godsend for me at first; I was HUNGRY for the first time in months! And there was no more nausea. It didn't last though. By the end of the pregnancy I was begging for drugs, for a c-section, for anything to make it stop. I'm glad I set it up where interventions and painkilling drugs wouldn't be available, but it was still miserable. I don't think my MWs knew quite what to make of it--not having had that many births at their center so as to draw from previous experience, plus limiting by the fact that fewer women choose MW-attended deliveries to begin with.

Keep trying the different remedies, including whatever prescription(s) might be suggested, until you find something that gives you some relief.

If it helps at all, my babe from the miserable pg is 8 weeks old, beautiful and healthy. I never expected such a bad experience since my first was a piece of cake compared to the second...but both girls are here and healthy! I felt fine as soon as I delivered.

GL! Hang in there!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:39 PM

JacquelineR: thanks for the info, it was helpful to read the differences. I think I'm probably in a grey area between MS and HG. I'm not debilitated by it, but it is hugely affecting my life. My DH has had to do just about everything around the house since it started, and has to listen to me whimpering about it all the time. Before work this morning I broke down and just started sobbing because I am so worn down by this feeling all the time. I can still manage to eat small meals of certain foods, and drink enough water to stay hydrated, luckily, but I feel so demoralized. I want to be happy and feel good because I have been wanting this pregnancy and this baby for a very long time, but it's so hard to feel anything but sick and miserable right now. Luckily I have been able to work, still, since I just sit in front of a computer all day, but it's very hard. I truly hope this sickness ends soon and that I can stop feeling so pathetic all the time. Sorry for the rant, but I'm glad to be able to vent a bit. I feel so bad complaining to my DH because I know how hard it must be for him, too. I don't want to add insult to injury, IYKWIM?

Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 PM

Just need to vent for a minute...

I took my first Zofran yesterday. I'm only seven weeks. This being my fourth time with HG, I know it will last until I deliver. Within a few weeks I'll be taking a Zofran every four hours, around the clock. I'll be setting an alarm to get up at midnight and again at 4 a.m. to take a pill, just so I can get out of bed in the morning. And I'll still be puking 7 or 8 times a day, and I'll be constantly nauseated. With my daughter I had a PICC line to give myself injections of Zofran from 22 weeks on, and I was still sick all day long.

This time, I'm hoping I got started on meds soon enough that I won't have to go that route again. I met with my midwife last night for the first time, and she brought me a brochure on dealing with "morning sickness." You know the one...eat crackers before you get out of bed, take deep breaths and get fresh air, etc. We had to have a sort of "come to jesus" talk that what I have is NOT morning sickness and that I'm going to need her to support my NEED for medical drugs. She seemed to understand after that, but I get tired of having to explain to people that this is not "in my head" or "caused by stress." It gets old. And I am SO TIRED of hearing, "I know you're sick now, but it will be worth it in the end!" AAGGGHHH!!! SHUT.UP!!!

Ugh. Sorry. It's one of those days. Thanks for letting me rant. 33 weeks to go!

Jen...wife to Shawn...Radically Unschooling Mommy to Connor (4/03), Autumn (1/07) Aiden (1/08) and Ella (10/14/09) Just had the of our dreams!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenners26 View Post
We had to have a sort of "come to jesus" talk that what I have is NOT morning sickness and that I'm going to need her to support my NEED for medical drugs.
I actually laughed out loud when I read "come to Jesus." :

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 02-21-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:

I took my first Zofran yesterday. I'm only seven weeks. This being my fourth time with HG, I know it will last until I deliver. Within a few weeks I'll be taking a Zofran every four hours, around the clock. I'll be setting an alarm to get up at midnight and again at 4 a.m. to take a pill, just so I can get out of bed in the morning. And I'll still be puking 7 or 8 times a day, and I'll be constantly nauseated. With my daughter I had a PICC line to give myself injections of Zofran from 22 weeks on, and I was still sick all day long.

This time, I'm hoping I got started on meds soon enough that I won't have to go that route again. I met with my midwife last night for the first time, and she brought me a brochure on dealing with "morning sickness." You know the one...eat crackers before you get out of bed, take deep breaths and get fresh air, etc. We had to have a sort of "come to jesus" talk that what I have is NOT morning sickness and that I'm going to need her to support my NEED for medical drugs. She seemed to understand after that, but I get tired of having to explain to people that this is not "in my head" or "caused by stress." It gets old. And I am SO TIRED of hearing, "I know you're sick now, but it will be worth it in the end!" AAGGGHHH!!! SHUT.UP!!!

OMG How dismissive. I would strangle her.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinalicious View Post
JacquelineR: thanks for the info, it was helpful to read the differences. I think I'm probably in a grey area between MS and HG. I'm not debilitated by it, but it is hugely affecting my life. My DH has had to do just about everything around the house since it started, and has to listen to me whimpering about it all the time. Before work this morning I broke down and just started sobbing because I am so worn down by this feeling all the time. I can still manage to eat small meals of certain foods, and drink enough water to stay hydrated, luckily, but I feel so demoralized. I want to be happy and feel good because I have been wanting this pregnancy and this baby for a very long time, but it's so hard to feel anything but sick and miserable right now. Luckily I have been able to work, still, since I just sit in front of a computer all day, but it's very hard. I truly hope this sickness ends soon and that I can stop feeling so pathetic all the time. Sorry for the rant, but I'm glad to be able to vent a bit. I feel so bad complaining to my DH because I know how hard it must be for him, too. I don't want to add insult to injury, IYKWIM?
Yes, it is very hard on our husbands. I know what you mean about that. So long as!! He actually acknowledges that you are *sick* (I have to say it because it's an issue in our house , I can understand feeling bad for complaining to him. I felt that way for the first little while until I realized my DH wasn't taking me seriously AT ALL... Then I got MAD. He'd be upset that he came home and supper wasn't being made- so I'd start making supper, sitting on a chair and puking into a bucket as I went... I'm still not entirely sure how that said I was "okay" to him. Either way, he didn't really "get it" until I was hospitalized for IV hydration (and then, maybe because of the hydration?, I went into an upswing).

Old 02-21-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:

I hope you caught it early enough too.
I understand about the mw... I have one that's the same, although that one still doesn't get it even after the other one had a "come to Jesus" meeting with her.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:34 PM

When I called my PCP the first time this pregnancy for a zofran prescription (after spending an evening in the ER getting fluids, a zofran injection and a couple pills to get me through until I could call my PCP), they called me back and reminded me that I should try eating a cracker before I get out of bed. I LOST it! I had lost about 20 pounds at that point, it's my 3rd pregnancy with HG (which NO ONE has ever diagnosed because I'm a little overweight, even though each time I lost well over 10% of my body weight, required meds and IV fluids and had to take a leave of absence from my job - but I guess since I could "stand to lose it" that malnutrition isn't a worry? and they're recommending I eat a frickin' CRACKER???

ARRGGHHHH the whole thing irritates the heck out of me! Being "crackered" and being dismissed simply because I don't "look" like an anorexic is horrible!

I'm glad your midwife was willing to listen and be understanding. I hope you're able to get all the meds and help you need and that you're starting early enough to keep you from getting too bad. Maybe you can send her to the HER website so she can get a better medical understanding of it?

You sound like you have it WAY worse than I do and I've already decided I will not get pregnant again, I just can't take it anymore. I'm amazed that you're willing to go through it again. I'm impressed!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 AM

I finally got my prescription for Zofran...took my first Saturday...omg why did I wait so long (i.e. it took me losing 10 lbs for me to realize I needed help). Life-changing. Ate a full meal for the first time in weeks. God bless you, creator of Zofran!!!!!!

Bottom line: ladies, only you know exactly how you feel and how sick you are. Don't wait until the worst to get help!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm on Facebook (so are several family members) and yesterday I joined a couple of HG groups. My aunt messaged me and asked, "Why did you join hyperemesis groups? Did you have it too?"

OMG SHE GETS IT!!! : She told me one that she had been super sick through her pregnancies. So this has opened up a whole new world of conversation for my aunt and I.

On top of that: She's an RN. She's not going to cracker anyone!

It makes me wonder if there's a familial aspect, not just through the mother's line. This aunt that had HG is my dad's sister.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 PM

I second the "enough with the crackers!!!!!!!!!!!"

As I puked in the restroom at a restaurant yesterday, some older lady leaned over against the door and was like, "are you okay?"

Me- "Yes, ma'am. Just really bad morning sickness." (didn't feel like getting into the whole hyperemisis dicussion)
Her- "Poor thing. Let me get you some crackers"

UGHHHHHHHHHHHH enought with the crackers!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 02-23-2009, 02:03 PM

OMG, I LMAO about having to do the, "come to jesus" talk with the MW. That would have pissed me off too. I am lucky that my ob is very willing to prescribe meds for nausea. I finally broke down the day after Christmas, after trying unisom and it not cutting, I called the nurse, who was very willing to call and ask for zofran. Her main concern was that she didn't want me to end up in the hospital, so I have been lucky to deal with some HCP who, "get it." As for being in the grey area, I fall under that category as well. I am not bad enough that I get hospitalized, BUT I believe that with my current pregnancy (this is my third pregnancy and my n/v is by far the most severe this time, although it was pretty bad the other times two times too), if I had not gotten on the zofran when I did, I probably would have ended up in the hospital and maybe then have been diagnosed with full blown HG. I did post at the helpher.org board saying that I didn't really think I had HG and several women pointed out that I DO have HG, even if it isn't severe enough to warrant hospitalization or a PICC line.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM

If you can laugh (or cry) from reading the "you know you have HG" threads over on helpher.... you know you have HG.

Justthatgirl: my mom never got sick like this, nor anyone on my dad's side that I know of. However, my MIL said she was "sick like that" when pregnant with my SIL... This is the MIL who came over to "help" after I got out of the hospital and watched tv all day despite me asking her to do things (Ie take the laundry down the stairs to the laundry room).

Old 02-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

LOL @ enough with the crackers!! They don't help me either. :

Zofran IS awesome. It doesn't stop my vomiting but it does help a whole lot.

14 weeks and still going strong. *sigh* Been throwing up every day pretty much. I'm so sick of it.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned

I have to rant for a minute to someone who understands.

I AM SO SICK OF BEING NAUSEOUS AND VOMITING! I haven't left the house in forever, I spend most days just trying to keep my stomach settled, laying on the couch and wanting to die. The few times I've actually made an effort to cook something (I love to cook) I threw it up. I'm sick of rice cakes and crackers and bland boring food. I'm sick of having to eat little tiny amounts of food all the freaking time just to avoid vomiting. I'm sick of not being able to take vitamins becuase I throw those up too. I'm sick of being sick!

I'm not even halfway done and I'm already just SICK OF IT ALL.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I have to rant for a minute to someone who understands.

I AM SO SICK OF BEING NAUSEOUS AND VOMITING! I haven't left the house in forever, I spend most days just trying to keep my stomach settled, laying on the couch and wanting to die. The few times I've actually made an effort to cook something (I love to cook) I threw it up. I'm sick of rice cakes and crackers and bland boring food. I'm sick of having to eat little tiny amounts of food all the freaking time just to avoid vomiting. I'm sick of not being able to take vitamins becuase I throw those up too. I'm sick of being sick!

I'm not even halfway done and I'm already just SICK OF IT ALL.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I had the worst day yesterday, felt nauseated all day long, and then it was oppressively bad last night. After throwing up the few bites of noodles that I had eaten, I finally went to bed around 7:30PM. I woke up to eat a popsicle, which I asked my DH to get from the store, and went right back to bed. I just cried and cried all evening long cause I felt so bad.

Today I finally called my CNM's office to get some help. The nurse said, "have you tried taking B6? Have you tried ginger?" "Yes," I said, "I've tried ginger tea, ginger chews, B vitamins, lemons, crackers, everything. I've tried everything I can!" So, I have an appointment this afternoon with another Dr. in the practice. I'm really hoping everything goes well and that I can get some help.

I almost never throw up, but I get EXTREME nausea. It's so bad I can't do anything. The only way I can escape it is to go to sleep. I'm so sick of feeling sick.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

I feel you, Brin. I don't vomit as much as some women, although I go through vomiting sprees occasionally and need fluids. I lost 10 lbs in my first trimester both of my previous pregnancies (this time I have Zofran so I've stayed about the same or gained a pound or two). Most of the time, I probably throw up every few days. Sometimes it's every day. But I'm queasy all the time. And I feel this way long past when you're supposed to "feel better." Both previous pregnancies I was sick until about 25 + weeks, with #1 it started in again at 36 weeks.

Blah.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 PM

Before this pregnancy, I hardly ever vomitted... *maybe* once a week for the first trimester. The nausea and food aversions were terrible though while pregnant with ds2 and he's my leading loss pregnancy (lost 30 lbs with him by 27 weeks and was still down 15 lbs the day he was born). With ds1, I'd basically class it as bad "morning" sickness... It lasted all day, I had a couple of aversions, puked maybe twice, but ate and drank like a hog (trying to make my stomach "settle down").
This one, despite having less weight loss, was actually the worst for other symptoms. I attribute the lack of weight loss to the fact that I couldn't drag my carcass off the couch (or some sitting position) without possibly gagging (and maybe puking)... So I didn't.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned

I didn't think of that Jacqueline, I bet I haven't lost becuase I literally have barely moved. This pregnancy is actually worse in terms of nausea than the other two were
Old 02-24-2009, 06:29 PM

Ok, so despite my best efforts at keeping the constipation at bay, it has hit. HARD. I've been taking benefiber, miralax, eating as much fiber-y foods as I can stomach (admittedly not much), but unfortunately I'm in severe pain right now.

I've been trying to go since last night and it literally feels like I have a bowling ball sitting right inside my rectum. Add to this the fact that I am prone to rectal prolapse from the constant constipation and hemorrhoids from the last 2 pregnancies and the whole thing is kind of terrifying. Every time I sit on the toilet I feel like I'm going to be split in half. I'm talking crying, screaming pain, so bad that when I finally just have to get up since I'm not even going anyway, I can't sit down comfortably anywhere else because it's pushing so bad.

It was desperate enough that I got out the rubber gloves to try to extract some manually, but I couldn't get much and it didn't help, and I'm totally freaked out by the prolapsing and worried that I'm going to damage myself further.

Let me also say that going anywhere for help is the LAST thing I want to do, I think I'd die of embarrassment (if I could even sit in the car to drive anywhere).

Has anyone used a Dulcolax suppository to loosen up the worst of it? I'm sure I'm even more uncomfortable because there's "normal" poop sitting above the hard part - if I could just get the worst out I'd be fine. I was thinking of just getting the kids version, since it's a lower dose and hopefully that would be enough. I don't know, I just feel a bit paranoid that it's going to give me contractions or something. It's bad enough though that when I'm sitting on the toilet trying to push it out, I'm worried that I'm going to have a uterine prolapse, too.

Why, oh why did I get pregnant again?? I love this baby so much but I can't frickin' handle any more! First the HG, then the zofran to control the HG, now the intensely painful constipation...I just don't know how much more I can take.

ETA: I also took 2 colace this am.

And to add insult to injury, I just discovered that this is causing me to wet myself. Someone please put me out of my misery.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 PM

I have no immediate help, treehugger, I'm sorry.
I have heard of some women using Colace to help with the Zofran-induced constipation. Maybe that's something you could try?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Banned

OMG treehugger that sounds awful!!

I'd probably go to the doctor at the point you're at. It almost sounds like a bowel obstruction at this point. I've had some bad constipation too but nothing quite that bad.

Zofran causes constipation? THIS EXPLAINS SO MUCH. I am usually not that constipated in pregnancy but it's been horrible lately.

User Tag List