Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting) - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 630 Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never been on any of the medications (except for the 3 days I was in for hydration), but I do know that a lot of the ladies on HER have problems with Zofran losing it's effect because of reflux. You might consider adding a reflux med for a while to rule it out.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#482 of 630 Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned

I can't seem to find a rhyme or reason to my vomiting. This is the worst pregnancy I've ever had by far, and at this point I am not even sure if the Zofran is helping or not. I'll go days without vomiting, and then all of a sudden I'll vomit several times a day for several days straight.
#483 of 630 Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I can't seem to find a rhyme or reason to my vomiting. This is the worst pregnancy I've ever had by far, and at this point I am not even sure if the Zofran is helping or not. I'll go days without vomiting, and then all of a sudden I'll vomit several times a day for several days straight.
Same here! One day I'll feel okay and manage to eat decently (even though the nausea never fully goes away), then the next I'm puking again...it's a vicious circle.

Please know that there are others that feel your pain.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#484 of 630 Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina W View Post
Hi!

I had hyperemesis in my first pregnancy, and it doesn't seem better this time unfortunately. I'm nine weeks and really pretty miserable. I have a quick question, between puking sessions, and I'm sorry if this has been discussed before in this thread. I just don't have time to read a whole lot in these short breaks...

Is there a medicine that is OK to take while breastfeeding? Last time I took Phenergan, but from what I read it's not ok while breastfeeding, and weaning is not an option right now, not while I'm feeling like this. (Although breastfeeding is not exactly great right now either, dealing with a big project like weaning is just not going to happen...)
I took Zofran from weeks 7-28 with my first pregnancy and weeks 7-22 with my second. I nursed DD1 throughout the entire pregnancy with #2. I am taking Zofran again and still nursing DD2. Both girls are completely healthy. I would love to find a more natural alternative, but it's hard to do the research and try new things when you're in the midst of the nausea/vomiting. Hang in there, mama!
#485 of 630 Old 03-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

Well, my question about whether the Zofran works has been answered

I'm out (getting refilled today, I really need to plan in advance for these things!) and I'm vomiting again. I hate it when you eat all the right foods and vomit anyway. That just pisses me off. It was the last of the rice cakes and wonton soup, too.

I had a good couple of days leading up to this, thankfully. My oldest DD is on the mend from her flu, but the younger one appears to be coming down with it. I swear, if I get a flu on top of this I will stab myself in the eye.
#486 of 630 Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinky View Post
I took Zofran from weeks 7-28 with my first pregnancy and weeks 7-22 with my second. I nursed DD1 throughout the entire pregnancy with #2. I am taking Zofran again and still nursing DD2. Both girls are completely healthy. I would love to find a more natural alternative, but it's hard to do the research and try new things when you're in the midst of the nausea/vomiting. Hang in there, mama!
Thank you for your input! I will look into Zofran.

Finn's mom since 2007, and expecting baby #2 in the fall (due Oct 1st)
#487 of 630 Old 03-06-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I've never been on any of the medications (except for the 3 days I was in for hydration), but I do know that a lot of the ladies on HER have problems with Zofran losing it's effect because of reflux. You might consider adding a reflux med for a while to rule it out.
Not sure if this is relevant or not. I was having a time getting Zofran down. I haven't had luck with any form except the ODT. The taste, however, was causing the nausea to worsen and possibly causing some reflux. I read on the HER forums about taking it vaginally. So I tried it. So far, so good. Can anyone think of a reason NOT to continue to do this? Obviously, it's not been suggested by my male OB, but he didn't even realize there was a generic Zofran.
#488 of 630 Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Not sure if this is relevant or not. I was having a time getting Zofran down. I haven't had luck with any form except the ODT. The taste, however, was causing the nausea to worsen and possibly causing some reflux. I read on the HER forums about taking it vaginally. So I tried it. So far, so good. Can anyone think of a reason NOT to continue to do this? Obviously, it's not been suggested by my male OB, but he didn't even realize there was a generic Zofran.
I heard that not only does, "hooching" it work better, but that it eliminates a lot of the constipation issues. I would say that if it works for you, just stick with it. You can only, "hooch" it with the dissolvable zofran though, not the regular pill. I'm glad you found something that is working for you. I too heard that the dissolvable tastes really nasty.

An update on me, I am still taking 8mg of zofran a day (by mouth, lol), BUT instead of an entire unisom pill at night, I've weaned down to 1/2 a unisom! : I think the severity of my n/v is starting to decrease a little bit. I still vomit at least once a day, but I'm hoping that now that I am 20 wks, maybe things will ease off a little bit. My big u/s is on Tuesday and I'm excited, yet nervous! I've also finally started to gain wt, I'm up a lb!
#489 of 630 Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

Ok, I have the "severe constipation" from Zofran I think. I feel tons of pressure...I thought it was just normal pregnancy stuff but this feels different. I CANNOT poop at all. I've taken 3 colace today, 2 a few hours ago and 1 like an hour or so ago. At what point should I call the doctor? I'm pretty miserable
#490 of 630 Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I CANNOT poop at all.
Can you do an OTC enema? I'd do that before taking additional meds. Constipation sucks! :

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#491 of 630 Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 AM

Ok, here's my experience...

What I've had to do since the colace wasn't cutting it, was add a dose of Miralax every morning (once things started moving along smoothly I cut it down to 1/2 dose). I take it in my hot chocolate, which in and of itself seems to help me move things along. I haven't had any more problems since starting it, which is bliss, because the pain was unbearable before. I'm able to go without straining, my hemmerhoids have cleared up and I feel normal again.

But, if you're in pain and haven't been able to go for days, don't wait for relief to just happen from Colace or Miralax. It probably won't. If things are already too backed up then those most likely won't help, it'll just add to the pressure building up behind the "blockage." Not that I would stop taking them, mind you, you want things to run smoothly after you deal with the immediate issue! I would try a glycerin suppository first. Personally I wouldn't bother with the doctor yet, they're just going to tell you to try a suppository or an enema if it's that bad and personally I know I feel a whole lot better doing that in the privacy of my own home/bathroom.

The colace does take a while to kick in and if you're dehydrated already from n/v it might not work at all. Miralax is really gentle, it's what was recommended for my baby when she was constipated.

I also added a lot of high fiber foods, which has helped, but if you're still having a hard time eating then that's not as helpful. Someone recommended the Fiber One bars and those are really good! I've also been eating a high fiber cereal every morning.

I really hope this helps. It's such an intensely awful feeling!

ETA: I also added in a good probiotic and I think that's helping, too!
#492 of 630 Old 03-13-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I was having a time getting Zofran down.
DD was prescribed the liquid Zofran a year or so ago (to take along w/ antibiotics) and I saved it. Anyhoo, I tried it yesterday when my evening nausea hit and it's wonderful. It's flavored (by the pharmacy) like orange and it went down perfectly- no aversion at all. Just thought I'd mention that if vaginally doesn't work, there's always the liquid Zofran.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#493 of 630 Old 03-13-2009, 12:32 PM

Ohhh, I would be a little careful with Miralax. Although it's over the counter, it's class c, and my doc recommended Phillips before that....

Also, Phillips works wayyyy quicker (hourse instead of days). If you can manage to get it down, go with the milk of magnesia. Just make sure you have a bathroom nearby...

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#494 of 630 Old 03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Banned

I pooped! :

Thank heaven. I was like DYING. It was a looooooooooong night. I couldn't go out and buy anything becuase my husband works nights. Well, I feel better now.

Although, after a week of no vomiting and little nausea, that seems to be showing up again. I threw up my lasagna last night and I'm queasy this morning. If it's not one thing it's another. *sigh*

My fiber intake is actually pretty good. I eat whole wheat bread every day, whole wheat waffles, apples, ect. And before the Zofran, even when I didn't get a lot of fiber I didn't have problems with constipation. This stuff binds you up something awful!
#495 of 630 Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Well, I'm 20 wks along (found out its a boy and feeling kind of resentful about it, b/c I really wanted a girl, I already have two boys and this is our last baby), and thought my n/v was getting better. So, I tried to wean myself off of the zofran. No go. I feel really awful again and have been throwing up. So, I guess I am still stuck with zofran/unisom.

TF- I hope you get some relief from the constipation. If you have to, do an enema for some immediate relief and then do the miralax/colace/high fiber diet after that as as preventive measure.
#496 of 630 Old 03-13-2009, 03:36 PM

Be careful with the colace! Even if you think it's not working, it can kick in hours or sometimes DAYS later. (I speak from very humiliating experience!)

Hot baths sometimes helped me.
#497 of 630 Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Well, I'm 20 wks along (found out its a boy and feeling kind of resentful about it, b/c I really wanted a girl, I already have two boys and this is our last baby), and thought my n/v was getting better. So, I tried to wean myself off of the zofran. No go. I feel really awful again and have been throwing up. So, I guess I am still stuck with zofran/unisom.
I think that's a pretty normal reaction when you really want a girl, especially if you're not having anymore. Just like it's normal for those who're having trouble TTC to feel a little resentful towards pregnant women. I know you're a great mama and will be to the new baby too, regardless of it's gender.
I hope the Zofran kicks back in quickly and you're feeling better soon.

Talula Fairie- I'm glad you got a little relief from one discomfort and I'm sorry to hear the other has returned. Hoping that something will happen to find you some comfort from both.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#498 of 630 Old 03-14-2009, 09:52 AM

Ugh, I have a feeling I need to be here... I'm only 5 weeks and the nausea and wretching over the toilet is coming on full force. I had HG with my last pregnancy and ended up in the hospital with an IV and zofran but we don't have health insurance this time so I guess that's out. The only thing that helped me last time was eating constantly so my blood sugar never dropped and at one point keeping a preggy pop in my mouth at all times (like I literally couldn't take it out or waves of nausea would overcome me). And now I'm pregnant and nursing a toddler so the blood sugar issue is even more an issue. I haven't found a midwife yet so I don't have anyone to call about this so I look forward to reading this thread for help! So glad to have found you!
#499 of 630 Old 03-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cash View Post
Ugh, I have a feeling I need to be here... I'm only 5 weeks and the nausea and wretching over the toilet is coming on full force. I had HG with my last pregnancy and ended up in the hospital with an IV and zofran but we don't have health insurance this time so I guess that's out. The only thing that helped me last time was eating constantly so my blood sugar never dropped and at one point keeping a preggy pop in my mouth at all times (like I literally couldn't take it out or waves of nausea would overcome me). And now I'm pregnant and nursing a toddler so the blood sugar issue is even more an issue. I haven't found a midwife yet so I don't have anyone to call about this so I look forward to reading this thread for help! So glad to have found you!
You're going to need some kind of treatment if HG hits again, especially if you had it as bad as you say. Some areas have special state/county insurance just for pregnant women, you may want to look into that. This can be a serious health issue, if you vomit so much you can't get good nutrition, that puts you at risk for preeclamsia and a host of other issues. Plus just the dehydration factor from the vomiting itself. It's recommended that women with HG start on Zofran right away for the best results, too.

I hope you get it sorted out soon. If nothing else, do try to get a Zofran script if you can afford it and take yourself to the ER if things get really really bad.
#500 of 630 Old 03-14-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I hope you get it sorted out soon. If nothing else, do try to get a Zofran script if you can afford it and take yourself to the ER if things get really really bad.
Check this out from HER also. It's about a program which will help you to get Zofran if you have a HCP willing to fill out the form (and you're willing as well) for a minimal cost (possibly even no cost).

#501 of 630 Old 03-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

That's great that there is a way for people to get Zofran if they can't afford it.

Man I am so miserable. I didn't vomit for a week and I was all excited, thinking the worst was over. Now I can barely keep anything down at all and I'm back to vomiting several times a day and being queasy all the time.

Well, back to the couch to watch Sex and the City episodes back to back. Maybe it will cheer me up. I can't move anyway without wretching so I'd better watch something entertaining.
#502 of 630 Old 03-15-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Girls, check this thread!!!
I wanted to tell you that I looked at this thread and couldn't help but laugh. The ladies over in the Allergies forum have been researching liver detox recently and the only thing I *hadn't* connected to my liver not detoxing properly was HG... until you posted that thread.
Thanks.

#503 of 630 Old 03-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned

My midwife told me that it's often that the liver cannot handle the extra hormones of pregnancy that is the underlying cause of HG. Makes sense. When I went to Kaiser to be put on fluids my billirubin level was up. My midwife recommends dandelion for your liver, but uh...ime, good luck keeping it down if you have HG.
#504 of 630 Old 03-15-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
My midwife told me that it's often that the liver cannot handle the extra hormones of pregnancy that is the underlying cause of HG. Makes sense. When I went to Kaiser to be put on fluids my billirubin level was up. My midwife recommends dandelion for your liver, but uh...ime, good luck keeping it down if you have HG.
Which is probably why the thread she posted was about preventing/reducing HG rather than what to do while you're dealing with an active case of it.
If you can get your liver detoxing better pre-conception, as the thread starts off discussing, I think you stand a better chance of continuing with the regimen as the pregnancy progresses and preventing HG. Medication is also mentioned, it's not like she said "This will keep you from taking meds for HG."
I know it's no help for those of you in current HG hell but for those who are considering conceiving again, it is something to look at.

#505 of 630 Old 03-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Banned

Oh I wasn't saying that I didn't like that thread or disagreeing with anything they said, I think the thread is awesome! I wish I had seen it beforehand.

Lately I can't keep any herbs down at all not a thing forget it. I can barely keep my Zofran down This was a surprise pregnancy, we'd given up TTC and were going to wait until I felt healthier (I was having problems with my TMJ and other issues), so I didn't have time to prepare.
#506 of 630 Old 03-15-2009, 03:22 PM

TF.
I know you're miserable right now. I'm sorry.
I used to have problems with TMJ... I still do occasionally, but at least my jaw doesn't "lock" like it used to do. I don't know what changed it but... I'm not going to complain about it.
I wish I could pop over and help around your place a bit. I know how it feels to have everything falling apart around you while you're feeling terrible and to have not been expecting a new LO on top of it (regardless of how wanted).

#507 of 630 Old 03-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Banned

Thanks for the hug

Yeah, my TMJ was very very bad and extremely painful. I was taking painkillers for the really bad flares for a good year (not consistently, of course, only when the pain was unbearable) so I am sure my liver wasn't very happy with me in the first place. Which is probably why this is the worst pregnancy I've ever had HG wise. I did everything I could think of for the TMJ...chiropractor, physical therapy, meditation, yoga, you name it I tried it.

I finally managed to get to a TMJ specialist (it was a nightmare getting that referral out of Kaiser, let me tell you), but the specialist is in my old hometown two hours away. He fitted me for a nightguard the day before I found out I was pregnant. After that, I was too sick to make the drive. So at some point, I have to go down and pick the thing up The good news is that pregnancy hormones (relaxin) make my TMJ way way better, so I'm not in pain to varying degrees every day. It just occasionally hurts and I've only had one TMJ migraine the whole pregnancy.

My bipolar was flaring up too pretty bad...I had just switched meds when I got pregnant. I had to go off everything, which has been ok since pregnancy also makes my bipolar better, but I've been pretty grumpy with everyone. Probably becuase I don't feel good.

I wrote a novel!

I am hoping that by week 20-25 things will improve like they did with my other pregnancies, but I'm starting to wonder if they will since by this point in the other pregnancies I wasn't nearly this queasy anymore, and I rarely threw up.
#508 of 630 Old 03-15-2009, 06:32 PM

Wow an HG thread!!

My first pg with dd was severe HG - starting at 5 weeks till the bitter end. Started at 125 lbs and lost 22. Net gain was 2 lbs. PICC line, numerous inpatient stays, Zofran, Phenergan, Reglan, Nexcium. Severe PPD and PTSD post partum.

This pg HG is moderate. 18 lb weight loss - have gained back 5 lbs. Same protocol with meds - we have switched in and out between Phenergan and Meclizine. I'm 27 weeks tomorrow and the vomiting is probably sitting around 5-7 times a day but that's so much better than the 30+ times a day a few weeks ago. I look forward to getting to know you all!

Beth, Mama to my two nurslings, DD 2.22.07 and DS 6.20.09 Worn, Intact, CD, Unvaxed, Born at Home!
#509 of 630 Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 PM

Welcome to MDC and the thread, BethandLC. Sorry you can join us on this particular thread but I'm glad you've found us.
I've been slacking off around the house this weekend and really need to get cracking but wanted you to know you're welcome.

#510 of 630 Old 03-27-2009, 04:16 PM

Been feeling sick lately in the mornings. Reflux is coming on pretty badly... wakes me up multiple times a night. Puked this morning. Terrified I'll relapse.
Only 8 weeks left.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page