Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting) - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 630 Old 09-27-2009, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I spoke a little too soon. It helped a lot but seemed to wear off and hasn't had the same effect when doing it again. I'm at least keeping some things down so, so I guess that's a bonus. Hoping for the best with the acupuncturist on Tuesday.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#602 of 630 Old 09-27-2009, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
I spoke a little too soon. It helped a lot but seemed to wear off and hasn't had the same effect when doing it again. I'm at least keeping some things down so, so I guess that's a bonus. Hoping for the best with the acupuncturist on Tuesday.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#603 of 630 Old 11-01-2009, 01:52 PM

not feeling well today. nauseated.
does the wanting to curl up and cry every time you feel nauseated ever stop?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#604 of 630 Old 11-01-2009, 06:14 PM

Just chiming in -- 10 weeks pregnant with my second HG pregnancy. Was in the ER Friday night and needed 3 bags of IV fluids before I even had the slightest urge to go to the bathroom. I don't think the urge to cry and be alone every time I'm nauseas is stopping soon....sorry JacquelineR. Wanting to leave all responsibilities behind and just sit on the couch until I deliver. Thank gosh the sun is out today and DH took DS out for an adventure. Not easy -- especially when people say eat crackers and be happy. This was definitely an intentional pregnancy yet I've been distressed since I found out the preg test results. PTSD from the last round no doubt..... I cannot even look at baby stuff. How to make peace with this process?
#605 of 630 Old 11-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Just a quick hello to say that I'm happy to see this thread...I did not have HG, but I was nauseated 24/7 for 20 weeks, and threw up 2-3 times a day every day for that time as well. Just found out I'm pregnant with my 2nd and praying to every power that is that, if this baby sticks, it will be different this time around...

...but if it's not, I am glad to see this thread here for support!
#606 of 630 Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
not feeling well today. nauseated.
does the wanting to curl up and cry every time you feel nauseated ever stop?
sorry to say, nope.

do talk to your practioner about your emotional state as well. Sometimes, how you're treated medically is related to the emotional state. I have a hard time coping emotionally w/the hg so this time we treated w/more drugs early on. and still to this day, I have a violent reaction when I see/smell certain foods. I can no longer drink water b/c EVERYTIME I drank so much as a sip of water it would come back x6.

there are things I've never eaten since beeing pg and puking w/dd and she just turned 4.

hope it passes quickly for you.
#607 of 630 Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM

Mommyabroad & JacquelineR,

All I can say is try to find some relief---motion sickness bands, Zofran, reflexology, whatever it takes. The wanting to curl up and cry from the nausea only stopped for me when I got a break from the nausea. Unfortunately, that was a moving target. What worked one day or even one week might not work the next. Even worse, none of it seemed to work by the very end.

: : : Hang in there!!
#608 of 630 Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM

I should clarify that I'm not pregnant anymore but I still feel that way every time I get nauseated. I've become a huge "suck" about feeling sick to the stomach.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#609 of 630 Old 11-02-2009, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Hi. I'm new to hyperemisis. This is my first pregnancy and I've been horribly sick for almost 2 wks now and can't keep anything down w/o anti-nausea meds. Tried phenergen, had a photophobic reaction, plus it's category C for pregnancy and I've already been on way too many cat. C & D medications this pregnancy as I injured my back 4 days after ovulating. Zofran works great and is cat. B, but my ins is refusing to cover more than 60 4mg pills per month in the generic. WHAT?!! That's little more than a 7 day supply, as I'm taking 2 every 6 hrs round the clock. A nurse told me we could try Reglan, but it's not as strong as Zofran. Zofran just barely works...by hour 5, I avoid eating or I'll throw up, and it takes about an hour to really kick in.

I'm wondering if a liquid form rather than a pill would work better, and maybe at a smaller dose. Anyone know? Guess I'll call the nurse again.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#610 of 630 Old 11-02-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabee View Post
Hi. I'm new to hyperemisis. This is my first pregnancy and I've been horribly sick for almost 2 wks now and can't keep anything down w/o anti-nausea meds. Tried phenergen, had a photophobic reaction, plus it's category C for pregnancy and I've already been on way too many cat. C & D medications this pregnancy as I injured my back 4 days after ovulating. Zofran works great and is cat. B, but my ins is refusing to cover more than 60 4mg pills per month in the generic. WHAT?!! That's little more than a 7 day supply, as I'm taking 2 every 6 hrs round the clock. A nurse told me we could try Reglan, but it's not as strong as Zofran. Zofran just barely works...by hour 5, I avoid eating or I'll throw up, and it takes about an hour to really kick in.

I'm wondering if a liquid form rather than a pill would work better, and maybe at a smaller dose. Anyone know? Guess I'll call the nurse again.
please check the hyperemesis.org site for info about the free Zofran program.. from what i understand, it's easy to qualify. i'll look for the link to it in a sec here.

link to that info

#611 of 630 Old 11-02-2009, 01:26 PM

Have you tried Zofran ODT? It's orally-dissolvable and took care of the problems I had hoping to keep it down before I had to throw up. Also, Costco has some decent prices on Zofran in its pharmacy.

We ended up arguing with our insurance company about Zofran for 12 weeks before they finally agreed to stop hassling us.

JacquelineR--yes and no. I've always hated feeling nauseated, so I dread getting stomach bugs in general. But, I kept some of my phenergen from last pregnancy on hand and I usually take a dose after 12 hours of throwing up. I'm amazed at how well it works when I'm not pregnant! (It was ok, but not great last pregnancy.) Now that I'm pregnant again and through 1st tri, I'm trying to be very zen about it every day. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've heard a lot of people have PSTD from it though. I think the only difference is that I so hated stomach bugs before my first pregnancy that having HG was about the worst thing that could have happened.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#612 of 630 Old 11-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
please check the hyperemesis.org site for info about the free Zofran program.. from what i understand, it's easy to qualify. i'll look for the link to it in a sec here.

link to that info
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I am having the nurse fill out and mail me the forms for that program. Since I'm bedridden and housebound it's going to take a few days to get the paperwork all signed/filled out/mailed, etc. DH is not going to be home for a couple days and I don't really have anyone who can dig through our finances & make copies and run errands for me. Well, I could ask my cleaning lady tmw but I don't know her well enough to have her going through our financial stuff. In the meantime we're going to try a liquid form of Reglan. I asked for liquid b/c sometimes I have absorption issues with things. Hopefully it will work.

Realrellim, thanks for the tip but we don't have Costco in my area.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#613 of 630 Old 11-02-2009, 06:57 PM

I am happy to hear there is a program for free Zofran! I am always so sad about those who have to suffer because they can't afford it. I don't take it b/c it gives terrible migraines, but it works like a miracle for some people.

If you end up not qualifying for that program, you can always petition your ins. for more medicine. It is a pretty quick process; just call them and find out their procedure.

Good luck. Oh, I also want to note that I am using hypnosis for my nausea. It works pretty well. Not perfect, but better than anything I have tried, and the only thing I haven't tried is marijuana. Here is a link to an mp3. I think it is $15. It made me want to use hypnobabies for my birth, so I think it is pretty good. http://www.hypnobabies.com/mylink.php?id=4058#nausea

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#614 of 630 Old 12-16-2009, 01:55 AM

I just need to vent/cry somewhere where people will understand. I am 22 weeks pregnant, and even though things are finally starting to slow down (i'm only throwing up twice a day vs the 10+ of the previous 4 months), I am just so tired of being so sick and tired. I just want to be the good mom and fun wife I was. I want to be able to help my husband with housework, i want to be able to keep on weight, i want to be able to play with my kids on the floor. But I can't, and I feel like the sympathetic stage is ending, and people expect me just to get over it already. I am just so, so tired of feeling this way, physically and emotionally. I am scared that my PPD will be worse this time because I am already so raw. I just want to be better.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#615 of 630 Old 12-16-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
I just need to vent/cry somewhere where people will understand. I am 22 weeks pregnant, and even though things are finally starting to slow down (i'm only throwing up twice a day vs the 10+ of the previous 4 months), I am just so tired of being so sick and tired. I just want to be the good mom and fun wife I was. I want to be able to help my husband with housework, i want to be able to keep on weight, i want to be able to play with my kids on the floor. But I can't, and I feel like the sympathetic stage is ending, and people expect me just to get over it already. I am just so, so tired of feeling this way, physically and emotionally. I am scared that my PPD will be worse this time because I am already so raw. I just want to be better.

#616 of 630 Old 12-16-2009, 01:44 PM

Popping in to say hello & bleahhhhhhh.

I'm just past 10 weeks with my 3rd pregnancy. My first pregnancy ended in m/c at 12 weeks, and I was sick from 6 weeks until 12 weeks. My second pregnancy resulted in a wonderful DD, but I was sick until 22 weeks. I was desperately hoping this time around would be different! But no, all I want to do is curl up and hide while chanting "oh please oh please oh please oh please" to the universe.

I don't think I technically have HG - I have not yet thrown up more than 3 times in one day. But I would say I have extreme nausea/vomiting, with ever-present, 24/7 nausea. Unisom helps, Zofran makes me feel like death warmed over. I have tried acupuncture, wrist bands, every food/drink "remedy" ever suggested, and got my first B6 shot a couple days ago. If the B6 has not started helping by tomorrow, I will go in for IV fluids.

I work full time, and am very lucky to have a wonderful DH who is a SAHD and is now shouldering the load of having a useless wife!

Anyways - just saying howdy. Misery loves company, eh?
#617 of 630 Old 12-16-2009, 04:59 PM

The IV fluids were really helpful to me with both pregnancies. It always felt like a fresh start.

And do the SeaBands really work for anyone with HG? Maybe for regular morning sickness but I put mine on at six weeks and take them off for showers -- other than that, I see them solely as a fashion accessory I've had them on with both pregnancies -- my bands of honor. LOL.

So now I'm at 16 weeks -- and went to see my GP who used to deliver babies. She gave me a prescription for Premesis which is a prenatal vitamin with nothing but folic acid, B 6, B12, and calcium -- none of the other typical vitamin stuff. I can't believe I can keep it down. That, in combination with Zofran and 1/2 Unisom at night and tons of protein meals seems to have actually stopped the vomitting. I haven't puked in a few days and my energy is better. I know it's not "over" though because if I miss or am late on the zofran or skip the unisom, I feel awful. Regular B6 didn't do much - but in the vitamin, it seems to help.
#618 of 630 Old 12-17-2009, 06:16 PM

I am about 11 weeks. This is my second pregnancy with HG. I had forgotton how awful this is. Nobody understands. I feel so alone. I feel so sorry for my almost 3yo dd. She is just watching tv all day long. I never wanted to be this kind of parent but I am hopeless. Last pregnancy Zofran worked like a miracle. This time it makes me feel worse. Unisom was helping for a few days but seems to have lost its charm. I can't keep anything down. I am down 11 lbs. I feel weak and I just want to curl up in a ball and tell the world to go to hell. I don't know what to do. I can't take this for months and months. No way. Sorry bout the incoherent rant, but I am just at my wits end and I have nobody in real life to talk to about it.

married to DH for eleven years Mama to dd1 1/30/07 and dd2 7/12/10
#619 of 630 Old 12-17-2009, 10:50 PM

With my first few pregnancies I was sick as a dog pretty much from day 1. This pregnancy though I had some slight bouts of nausea, but wasn't even vomiting.

Last night though.. All of a sudden vomiting onset that barely gave me time to breath in between. Incredibly violent and painful. It last from about 6:45 to about 11:30 and then I had about two bouts an hour until about 1:30 am. I barely crawled out of bed and am just sore EVERY WHERE- my throat, my sides, my stomach. I would have stayed in bed all day except it is finals week and my grades are due tomorrow.
#620 of 630 Old 12-24-2009, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quick bump for anyone else who may need the support.

How are you doing through the holidays, ladies?

I hope everyone is managing alright. Thinking of you all!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#621 of 630 Old 12-24-2009, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just wanted to say I totally know how you feel. I had HG with DS at 5 weeks, lost 25 lbs during 1st trimester, & got dumped by my midwife. Allergic to Zofran, tried everything (B6, reglan, acupuncture, you name it). Hospitalized 8 times for dehydration. HG started at week 4 w/ DD (actually started puking BEFORE I realized I was pg. Same problem, although a lot more IV fluid meant fewer overnight stays in the hospital. Had my tubes tied after DD, so I would never go through it again.

My favorite was when the blood vessels around my eyes would start breaking from all the vomiting.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#622 of 630 Old 12-25-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperRose View Post
Quick bump for anyone else who may need the support.

How are you doing through the holidays, ladies?

I hope everyone is managing alright. Thinking of you all!
Thanks for bumping this - it has really helped me to read through these pages this morning. I have felt pretty alone and like a lot of my symptoms/feelings/emotional response to HG were just in my head!

This is my 4th pregnancy but 1st experience with the HG monster. In previous pregnancies, I have been nauseated but didn't have the constant throwing up. I have lost 36.5 lbs so far at 18 weeks. I keep hoping that today will be the day that I will finally be able to feel human again and not just lay in bed, clutching my stomach and rocking back and forth.

Once again, thanks for bumping this thread.

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
#623 of 630 Old 12-26-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostinkinhappy View Post
Thanks for bumping this - it has really helped me to read through these pages this morning. I have felt pretty alone and like a lot of my symptoms/feelings/emotional response to HG were just in my head!

This is my 4th pregnancy but 1st experience with the HG monster. In previous pregnancies, I have been nauseated but didn't have the constant throwing up. I have lost 36.5 lbs so far at 18 weeks. I keep hoping that today will be the day that I will finally be able to feel human again and not just lay in bed, clutching my stomach and rocking back and forth.

Once again, thanks for bumping this thread.

Oh, honey. I'm so sorry.

Are you on meds?

#624 of 630 Old 12-27-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulrossdixie View Post
for those of you that have done it multiple times, how did you decide to have more children after how traumatic the pregnancies are? I feel like I have PTSD from my pregnancy with DD (she's 17 months now and I was just so miserable the entire pregnancy, back and forth to the ER etc, etc, I thought I was going to go off the deep end and felt like the worst mom on the planet to poor DS, who's 3.5 now). Also, I'm really scared of the depression and anxiety cycle that the Hg (and hormones) caused during pregnancy.

are there supplements that I can take beforehand to 'build up' stores of b-vitamins or something that will even help (with the Hg or the depression/anxiety)?
I preface this by saying that I am very blessed to have 100% insurance and rx coverage. I know that this would be impossible without it.

I chose to have more children so my HG wouldnt win. I refused to let it. I respond well to bullheaded challenges like that (not a good thing most of the time... ) so it worked for me. However, like Talula, I was never as sick in my subsequent pregnancies as in my first. Now I treat it before I get it. With my first I had NO idea what was going on, my Dr's were dismissing me as being overdramatic and silly. It took til 10 weeks, 23 lbs and presenting to the ER vomiting bloody mucus that they took me seriously. I had early kidney failure, spent 1 month admitted and another 4 months on bedrest with a PICC line and a EKG monitor because my heart suffered permanent damage due to the stress.

Obviously, that was something I didnt really want again. So, when I did IVF for my next pregnancy, I started on zofran. At 4 weeks pregnant. It still hit badly, I still had HG. But nothing, nothing like the first time. I was regularly getting IV rehydration, I was admitted overnight a couple of times, but I made it. I ate out, and I watched TV and I could listen to things (a lot of my triggers in my first pregnancy were sounds and colors).

I know this sounds unbelievable, but I dont think I even had HG in my third pregnancy. I had bad NVP, but not HG. My fourth pregnancy was as bad as the second, but still not as bad as the first. I am 6 weeks now and once again have been preparing for the onslaught for a few weeks. I threw up for my first time this morning.

Please dont take my "I wouldn't let it win" line as a judgment or an accusation that someone who chooses not to have anymore IS letting it win. And there were times during my first pregnancy where I not only didnt want anymore children, but I didnt want the one I was pregnant with. In fact, I didn't really want to live anymore. But as the years went by it just turned from a fear to an anger.

I really do wish you all the best of luck.

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#625 of 630 Old 01-02-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Bump

#626 of 630 Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 PM

I am bumping this for other mamas as well.
I am currently 12 weeks pregnant and it seems my HG has gotten worse the further along I have gotten. So far I have lost 8-10lbs which isn't too bad considering I am overweight. I wonder though even with me being overweight, when is it time to become concerned about weight loss. Also have any of you had no outward signs of dehydration but been dehydrated? I am peeing regularly but I also have had a pretty bad cased of chapped lips for the past 2 weeks and am wondering if I should go to the ER to receive IV fluids just in case.
#627 of 630 Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyKeen View Post
I am bumping this for other mamas as well.
I am currently 12 weeks pregnant and it seems my HG has gotten worse the further along I have gotten. So far I have lost 8-10lbs which isn't too bad considering I am overweight. I wonder though even with me being overweight, when is it time to become concerned about weight loss. Also have any of you had no outward signs of dehydration but been dehydrated? I am peeing regularly but I also have had a pretty bad cased of chapped lips for the past 2 weeks and am wondering if I should go to the ER to receive IV fluids just in case.
I would. The more dehydrated you get, the more likely it is that your judgment is impaired. IMO, if you have to ask "should I go for hydration?", you should be going. The more dehydrated you become, the worse your symptoms are likely to get as well.
It doesn't matter if you're overweight. Pregnancy is not the time to lose weight. I believe the "rule" is worry when you lose 10% of your body weight but i'm so befuddled atm (thyroid problems) you might want to look that up on HER
Hoping you go for hydration and that it helps (if only a little)

#628 of 630 Old 02-04-2010, 09:07 PM

Im so scared I am heading for HG again... I had it with DS but not with DD... and the past two days I can hardly keep even tiny meals down

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#629 of 630 Old 05-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Oh my goodness, I am so happy to see this tribe even though it doesn't look very active at the moment. To everyone else who has written, it has been so helpful to read your stories.

I tried the B6/Unisom, sea bands, ginger, peppermint, crackers, deep breathing, stopped the prenatals, eating regularly etc...

I am an about to be midwife, 8wks pregnant with my first. I was/am over the moon, but the N/V/dry heaves started two weeks ago and it was such a shock. Emotionally it's been a roller coaster. The first week my friends in the know were basically telling me it was all normal, but it didn't seem like it. I was constantly going back to bed, to lie flat, I couldn't eat or drink and any visual or noise stimulus seems to set it off. I wasn't vomiting too much at first, but I was dry heaving like crazy. In retrospect, I am sad that my peers didn't take that aspect seriously for the quality of life impact. I went into my MW's office asking for Zofran and she laughed it off. Before leaving, I pushed myself to ask again and she obligingly gave me the Rx. I am so so grateful for it. Even with the Zofran on a regular basis, I am throwing up about 3x a day now, and I've lost about 8lbs. There is no doubt in my mind that I have HG.

To get something in me, I have been drinking boost shakes, and making my own smoothies with yogurt and fruit. Solid meals only happen about 2 to 3 times a week. Thankfully, so far I've been managing to adjust my activity level and and force liquids orally, so I don't think I'm getting dehydrated.

#630 of 630 Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 AM

I wasn't officially diagnosed, but all things considered, I'm smack dab in the middle of my healthy for height BMI and lost 12-15 pounds in the first trimester.  Sick all the time.  Morning, night.  I'm about 16/17 weeks now, and it is better than it was, but I'm still sick several times a day.  If I ate, I puked, if I didn't eat, I puked. 

The weight loss has stopped at least (though I have had more than one comment about how lucky I am to lose weight while pregnant...idiots).  I couldn't get anything prescribed, my docs for whatever reason, haven't been all that concerned.  It's my first pregnancy too, maybe I haven't been assertive enough, and there are a lot of people who brush it off a normal and act like you should just suck it up.  I don't like admitting that I'm uncomfortable, that I don't feel well, so in hindsight, I kind of deflect when they ask me how I feel.  As excited I am with my impending little one, I don't think I've ever felt as miserable as I have the past couple months.  It is better than it was, but I'm still not myself.  It's so hard to keep up with work, be a functioning human being, and feel this way.  I try not to let it impact my mood too much, at least not around other people, but I've decided that is a battle that I will ultimately loss.  Pregnancy doesn't last forever.  My new mantra!

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page