Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 630 Old 09-05-2008, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So much for the GD and HG connection for me - though I'll likely develop GD later on in pregnancy. I just got the results from my 3 hour GTT taken at 13 weeks pg. My numbers were lower than average, with the 3 hour number being a dangerously low 28. So, low blood sugar is an issue for me right now, not high blood sugar.
#62 of 630 Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlby View Post
So much for the GD and HG connection for me - though I'll likely develop GD later on in pregnancy. I just got the results from my 3 hour GTT taken at 13 weeks pg. My numbers were lower than average, with the 3 hour number being a dangerously low 28. So, low blood sugar is an issue for me right now, not high blood sugar.
It might change if you could, oh, I don't know, actually EAT. :

Hopefully nothing goes wrong.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#63 of 630 Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 PM

I had HG and GD with both pregnancies = DS and a DD. I lost about 20 pounds during the first trimester each time. I also lost my gallbladder a few months after giving birth to Ds. I wish we could have another but who would take care of me and two kids (Dh has to support us). I needed full time care for the first 4 months each time. I remember waking up one morning and realizing that there was no way on earth I could make it to the bathroom without fainting. It was awful.

I also remember feeling like I had the flu for 9 months and feeling so good as soon as the baby was out (even with a c-section).

Zofran was also my friend and enemy (constipation).
#64 of 630 Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 PM

I have never had issues with GD...but that might be due to the fact that I can't eat regularly/well.

Puked again this morning. My stomach has that horrible locked down tight feeling (not nausea per se). It just makes me annoyed and tired. I know I have to try to get some food in there and that will help my mood and may even convince my stomach to relax or something. Such a chore.

4 more weeks.
#65 of 630 Old 09-06-2008, 02:39 PM

I just got a positive pregnancy test. I am so excited, but so scared. I hope the h. pylori treatment helps.

I couldn't get the follow up tests for it because it involves ingesting radioactive material, and you can't if you are pg or bf.

I'm mostly worried about getting my daughter to school.

Wish me luck.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#66 of 630 Old 09-06-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I just got a positive pregnancy test. I am so excited, but so scared. I hope the h. pylori treatment helps.

I couldn't get the follow up tests for it because it involves ingesting radioactive material, and you can't if you are pg or bf.

Wish me luck.
Well, congratulations!!!! And

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#67 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 02:56 AM

Have any of you HG ladies had a homebirth? Most of the HGers I've talked to have had highly medicalized births and/or c-sections.

Everyone thinks I'm crazy to do this after the pregnancy I've had, but my HG is pretty much under control (I'm throwing up from time to time, but gaining weight, baby is growing, eating regularly, only taking 25mg of Phenergan a day).
#68 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
Have any of you HG ladies had a homebirth? Most of the HGers I've talked to have had highly medicalized births and/or c-sections.

Everyone thinks I'm crazy to do this after the pregnancy I've had, but my HG is pretty much under control (I'm throwing up from time to time, but gaining weight, baby is growing, eating regularly, only taking 25mg of Phenergan a day).
I have had a hospital birth, a mw-assisted hb, and my youngest was born in November, unassisted.

All 3 were HG pregnancies.

#69 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 AM

I've had a home birth and home birth turned hospital transfer.

#70 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 10:31 AM

Hi all! I am not pregnant nor will I ever be again, because of hyperemesis. I have 3 girls and it just got worse with each pregnancy. I would puke around 20-30 times a day, have nausea all day long, heartburn, the works. I was prescribed phenegren and zantac but the midwives would not prescribe me Zofran. With my first pg my doctor was so condescending and told me that it was totally normal to have morning sickness. Yeah, it's normal to be able to barely function. Thank god that I just had my self to take care of then. With numbers 2 and 3 I had other people to worry about. It was pure survival mode-the house and laundry was neglected, my toddler(s) watched way too much tv while I was just laying on the couch willing my stomach to cooperate with me. I have also broken blood vessels in my face and eyes with the force of vomiting, have had it choke me by coming out my nose and mouth at the same time, have had to pull over while driving to puke in parking lots or on the side of the road, had to puke in the kitchen sink because I couldn't make it to the bathroom. All of this has made my gag reflex incredibly weak, any bad smell or gagging sensation threatens to make me puke.

With my third it was so bad I really thought I was going to shrivel up and die. I also enjoyed those first meals after giving birth, to me it was the best food I had ever ate, even pretty gross hospital food. My hg pregnancies never ended in c-section, thank God, but my first was a horrible induction. Second was light years better still at a hospital but i had a midwife and it was super short. The last birth was the one that healed the trauma of the first. It was also at a hospital with a midwife, but I was in charge this time, had nothing attached to me, was free to move about, etc. It was wonderful.

Anyway, because of all this we decided no more kids and dh got a vas when our youngest dd was 1. I really wanted 4 kids and still feel like I'm missing out on something but rationally I know that being pregnant is determental to my physical and mental health.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#71 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post

Wish me luck.
Congratulations!!!!!! I really hope the h. pylori is the answer for you and the treatment worked. Here's to a HG free pregnancy!!!

Quote:

I've had an unplanned UC, hosptial birth (wanted homebirth insurance wouldn't pay) and a Planned UC.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#72 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama! View Post
Anyway, because of all this we decided no more kids and dh got a vas when our youngest dd was 1. I really wanted 4 kids and still feel like I'm missing out on something but rationally I know that being pregnant is determental to my physical and mental health.
I want more children I just never want to be pregnant again.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#73 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:

First one was at a birth center, and the second at a hospital.

I'm glad the phenergan is working for you!
#74 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj View Post
I'm glad the phenergan is working for you!
It didn't at first. I was on a combo of Phenergan, Zofran, Reglan and Pepcid at the beginning of the pregnancy and home IV care. Slowly over the pregnancy I weaned myself off most the meds. Phenergan is the last nausea med that I haven't been able to go off completely. I take 25mg at night before bed (helps me sleep too)... if I forget the next day is horrible.

Also, good to know from so many of you that I'm not "crazy" for having a home birth.
#75 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I really wanted 4 kids and still feel like I'm missing out on something but rationally I know that being pregnant is determental to my physical and mental health.
Right there with you! I love kids, but I love being able to live and see them grow even more. YK?

We've got a vasectomy on our minds, also.

#76 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 04:34 PM

I'm a survivor, yay. I also have strong pregnancy amnesia, so I want a third, even though logically... I know there's no way I can put my family through it again. But I don't feel our family is complete yet, either.

FWIW I found out the hard way that I'm allergic to Phergen AND Reglan, and Zofran ODT did NOTHING for me. For some ODD reason, the intravenous Zofran did work, so after they hooked me up with a Zofran pump it did wonders. It sucked having to stick myself every day, but I was able to function (nominally) for the first tri. For my third tri with DD I was pretty much a fluffy, which adds to my pg amnesia. I think, "if I was that well off, maybe my next pg would be good too."
#77 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 04:39 PM

I'll also chime in on the fact that I had a birth center birth and a planned UC. They did try to scare me into all sorts of "you have abcd xyz wrong with you" in my last tri, everything from too much amniotic fluid to slow gestational growth to too FAST gestational growth, to yada. I went with my gut and UC'd the babe and she was healthy as a... healthy baby. :
#78 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Right there with you! I love kids, but I love being able to live and see them grow even more. YK?

We've got a vasectomy on our minds, also.
Yeah, I feel like if I am pregnant one more time it will kill me. My mom begged me not to get pg after my second because she couldn't bear to see me suffer so much.

#79 of 630 Old 09-07-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I feel like if I am pregnant one more time it will kill me. My mom begged me not to get pg after my second because she couldn't bear to see me suffer so much.
My parents had no idea I was as sick as I was until further in the pregnancy when I briefly mentioned being in the hospital. (We live several state apart.)

My mom still gets kind of horrified when we talk about it. And now, my sil, who lives w/ my parents, appears to be just as sick. I gave my bro a list of all the meds and what to tell the doc at her next appt so hopefully she'll get some help.

She's a former junkie, though, so I don't know if the doc will believe them or listen.

#80 of 630 Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Bump

#81 of 630 Old 09-12-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoXane View Post
Ok this may be a completely irrational fear. After my last pregnancy with HG I gained weight after the baby was born. I'm concerned that I'm going to deal with pregnancy weight and pp weight again too. Did any of you find it difficult to have an appropriate relationship with food/diet after dealing with HG?

I completely did! I had severe m/s the entire pregnancy, but i had HG for the first 3 months... i lost 30 lbs within those first three months. once i was finally able to eat agin about 13 weeks I started gaining. then by the time I was due I had agained back that 30 and gained another 65!! in ONE month (5th month) I had gaind 25 lbs!!! my body felt like it wasn't my own at all. I was NEVER overweight before then. I was quite thin actually. ever since I have had a problem with my weight. with my second it happened again. I lost 25, gained it back and then gained 45.

I'm praying it doesn't happen this time. I've had good sucess in combating my HG with liver supplements, and unisom. I haven't lost but maybe 2 lbs. I just felt terrible all of the time, but no super dehydration yet. I am 8.5 weeks and that is usually the worst of it for me. in the past I didn't hold ANYTHING down until atleast 13 weeks. not a drop of water even. it was sovery painful. Is till have that painful feeling, that achy all over feeling mixed with that stomach ache that never leaves and makes you dizzy. but like I said, so far it's a lot better. my biggest problem this time is constipation-ugh!!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#82 of 630 Old 09-12-2008, 09:19 AM

I only gained weight after a pregnancy with my last baby, which was the worst in terms of hg. It got progressively worse each pregnancy. I am overweight to begin with and gained 30 lbs after having dd #3. I didn't get it off until almost 3 years later. I'm now at my normal weight, and working on taking off some more.

I got to witness my best friend giving birth on Monday. : The emotions surrounding that have really overwhelmed me. I thought I was at peace with not being able to have another baby but when she put the baby to her breast it took all I had not to lose it. I did have to leave rather abruptly because I started bawling and couldn't contain it anymore. I am processing all these emotions that I have been denying myself since dh got the vas done. I went to visit her at home yesterday and it went much better.

#83 of 630 Old 09-12-2008, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I only gained weight after a pregnancy with my last baby, which was the worst in terms of hg. It got progressively worse each pregnancy. I am overweight to begin with and gained 30 lbs after having dd #3. I didn't get it off until almost 3 years later. I'm now at my normal weight, and working on taking off some more.

I got to witness my best friend giving birth on Monday. : The emotions surrounding that have really overwhelmed me. I thought I was at peace with not being able to have another baby but when she put the baby to her breast it took all I had not to lose it. I did have to leave rather abruptly because I started bawling and couldn't contain it anymore. I am processing all these emotions that I have been denying myself since dh got the vas done. I went to visit her at home yesterday and it went much better.
Wow. What an outstanding experience!! I witnessed another HG friend's birth in July and it was amazing.

I didn't get the feeling of "Oh, I need to have more!" though. Thankfully.

I have been mentioning vasectomy to dh. I think, honestly, that it should be ME to undergo surgery because *I* am the one who can not have more babies (and what if I die and dh remarries and his new wife wants kids?), but I also can't mess w/ my hormones. They're already screwy.

#84 of 630 Old 09-15-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

bump

#85 of 630 Old 09-15-2008, 07:18 PM

I got really bad hives yesterday and had to take a bunch of antihistamines. I know that since they make you sleepy you shouldn't take other drugs that make you sleepy. So I decided to skip my nightly Phenergan dose and I've been fine all day. Figures at 40+2 I finally am able to ween.
#86 of 630 Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I got really bad hives yesterday and had to take a bunch of antihistamines. I know that since they make you sleepy you shouldn't take other drugs that make you sleepy. So I decided to skip my nightly Phenergan dose and I've been fine all day. Figures at 40+2 I finally am able to ween.
Bah! It figures!

I found that benadryl worked sometimes, too.

#87 of 630 Old 09-21-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

How's everyone feeling?

#88 of 630 Old 09-21-2008, 10:38 PM

I'm 41+1 today. Puked last night. Sooo ready to be done!
#89 of 630 Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 PM

I am almost 7 weeks now. I haven't thrown up. I have some low grade nausea. By this time in my previous pregnancies, I was throwing up 12+ times a day. I am torn between being happy that the h. pylori treatment seems to have worked and being horribly anxious and afraid that it is going to hit any day.

#90 of 630 Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 PM

I'm 19wks and off my meds!! Unfortunately I had a case of actual food poisoning this weekend, but I'm feeling much better now. I'm so grateful that full fledged HG no longer applies to me

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page