Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  15  ... Last
I'm Pregnant > Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting)
NatureMama3's Avatar NatureMama3 03:20 PM 10-06-2008
if you have numbness get a blood test done to check for deficiencies. B-1 is especially common for those of us with HG and can be life threatening if not treated.

forest~mama's Avatar forest~mama 10:56 PM 10-06-2008
Where was this tribe when I was pg with my DD?!!! I have found comfort in reading all of your stories. I was never diagnosed, but I lost weight in the first trimester, and was terribly sick 24 hours a day from 5 weeks until month 7, then sick part of the day until birth. I just wanted to say that it's great you have all joined this tribe
We will be thinking of adding another member to our family sometime soon, and I'm terrified of having a similar pregnancy or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirlbl View Post
It's funny that, despite how sick I was, I can't remember when the vomiting began. I am only four weeks now (conceiving after a m/c) and wondering when I should be ready for this to begin. I'm a student, so I'm wondering if I should work ahead on some of my work. With my last pregnancy, the HG was so bad, I had to drop out of school.
I barely made it through an online term during my early pregnancy. If I were you I would get as much done asap as possible. I was also so bad with my last pregnancy that I also had to take terms off.
forest~mama's Avatar forest~mama 09:47 PM 10-07-2008
Did anyone else not take (or are not taking) prenatal vitamins? I tried for about 2 weeks, but could not keep them down. Seems like I even tried some that were supposed to stay down better, and they didn't. Anyone else have this happen?
seeing_stars's Avatar seeing_stars 12:39 AM 10-08-2008
Maybe this is an odd question, but what do you do about brushing your teeth? I try every morning and often times it triggers vomiting. If I don't brush I have a terrible taste in my mouth. I desperately want to brush my tongue to freshen up, but I *know* that will send me over the edge.
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 12:59 AM 10-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~lioneyes~ View Post
Did anyone else not take (or are not taking) prenatal vitamins? I tried for about 2 weeks, but could not keep them down. Seems like I even tried some that were supposed to stay down better, and they didn't. Anyone else have this happen?
With my 1st pregnancy I took them at night, but w/ my 2nd and 4th pregnancies I couldn't take them at all. (3rd pregnancy was 12 wks, no HG, lost baby.)
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 01:00 AM 10-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeing_stars View Post
Maybe this is an odd question, but what do you do about brushing your teeth? I try every morning and often times it triggers vomiting. If I don't brush I have a terrible taste in my mouth. I desperately want to brush my tongue to freshen up, but I *know* that will send me over the edge.
I never actually had that problem, but I know several women who did.

I also know that MANY of us, able to brush or not, have to deal w/ follow up dental issues. I've already dropped $5K on my mouth and we're not done yet.
TzippityDoulah's Avatar TzippityDoulah 02:01 AM 10-08-2008
Quote:
oh my this gets me too!! I brush AFTER I have eaten and have a happier stomach. I use fennel toothpaste b/c mint makes me vomit. and I don't brush if I'm really feeling sick. oh well, I gargle with water or something.
Hey Mama!'s Avatar Hey Mama! 10:32 AM 10-08-2008
I did not take prenatal vitamins with any of my pregnancies. I tried each time but they always immediately made me puke. As for brushing teeth, I would wait for a time when I wasn't too terribly pukey and just do it really quick. I have tons of cavities in my wisdom teeth now and they all need to be pulled. They were fine until I started having kids.
NatureMama3's Avatar NatureMama3 11:09 AM 10-08-2008
I couldn't brush my teeth most of the pregnancy. On a doc's advice I chewed a tums after each vomit episode to neutralize the acid for my teeth and keep decay from happening. It actually worked pretty well and I had less tooth damage this PG than others.

Tums wise the tropical fruits and chocolate ones worked best.

As far as vitamins go, I couldn't do it. I couldn't even do the cherry-flavored kids liquid ones. I got cereals with 100% RDA and tried to have one bowl a day (didn't sometimes, but tried).
MomtoXane's Avatar MomtoXane 11:57 AM 10-08-2008
Vitamins - last pregnancy I couldn't keep any down until the last trimester. I am really happy I was able to take my Omegas and EPO to help with delivery. This time I'm using Nature's Plus liquid prenatal with good success. It tastes like a fruit smoothie.

Teethbrushing - I had a severe gag reflex and costant vomiting last time and couldn't even manage to rinse with plain water. As a result I needed several thousand dollars worth of post-pregnancy dental work. This pregnancy I figured out that non-foaming toothpaste was less of a trigger, I'm using Vita-myr orange flavor. My teeth are in much better shape.

Two things I learned recently - flouride toothpaste and mouthwash can actually harm your enamel if they are used after episodes of vomiting. Plain water or better still is salt water because it restores the natural acidic balance and prevents cavities.

I had a prenatal dental appointment last week and they put a big foam tray in my mouth without even telling me they were going to do it. I immediately started gagging and it was awful! They said I need three fillings, but it's not safe to do them all at once because I'm pregnant and it would be too much anesthesia. They are very small cavities on the front of my teeth, not root canals or anything. Did anyone else have dental work while pregnant? I'm going to try to get my OB to give me the OK to have them all done at once. I can't get a babysitter and go through all the anxiety and discomfort of three seperate dental visits!
kitkatsmama's Avatar kitkatsmama 01:35 PM 10-08-2008
Quote:
I bought all natural mouthwash, and would gargle instead...
kitkatsmama's Avatar kitkatsmama 02:28 PM 10-08-2008
Oh my GOSH!!! I wish I had known about this tribe MONTHS ago! I, too have had the "why did I do this again? whay does my body hate being pregnant?, etc etc feelings" I am certain that I had some HG with my first pregnancy, and I know I had it with my second- the problem was, I still gained weight, despite the vomiting (like due to fluid retention in my tissues, which seems counter-indicated, who knows). Anyhow, this time, I had MW care straight from the start (first was all OB care, second was OB/doula for 30 weeks, then OB/MW), and bless her, we tried EVERYTHING. I was lucky in that I only ended up in the ER for fluids once, but honestly, I probably should have been in more often, I just couldn't bear the idea of what would happen to the rest of my family if I was hospitalized. I, too, feel like I'm being forced into "this has to be my last baby, I can't do this again". Honestly, has anyoine else found themselves in a total financial wreck due to their HG?
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 04:31 PM 10-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatsmama View Post
Honestly, has anyoine else found themselves in a total financial wreck due to their HG?
Yes! :

I'm also Carrie.
My4Monkeys's Avatar My4Monkeys 04:45 PM 10-08-2008
Almost 9 weeks pg here with DC5 and dealing with hyperemesis for the first time. I don't have it as bad as some of you ladies (my heart goes out to all of you!), but have most of the tell-tale signs. It was wreaking havoc on my ability to care for my kids, to eat, just to function normally. I'm currently on Zofran, which has helped SO much. I'm hoping that having it treated early will keep me from some of the more severe aspects like weight loss and hospitalization. I'll let you know how it goes...
mom2annika's Avatar mom2annika 04:45 PM 10-08-2008
O-M-G, I should have signed on here months ago! Still puking at 30 weeks, and this morning I didn't get to the Zofran in time. It completely saps my energy. It wasn't like this with DD1. I kept hoping it would get better, after we moved, after we got settled, etc., etc. But then we got hit with a hurricane (Ike), and I feel like I'm barely keeping my head above water here. (No damage from Ike, just a major setback in terms of money, time, energy...the house is an absolute wreck.)

Thanks for the tip about the flouride.
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 05:01 PM 10-08-2008
PSA:

If you're taking Zofran...

Make sure you take a stool softener, too. You DO NOT want constipation!!!
mountaingirlbl's Avatar mountaingirlbl 05:09 PM 10-08-2008
I am now four weeks and so far, no vomiting or nausea. I feel a little dizzy now and then and wonder when it's coming on. I've starting doing as much work for my classes as possible right now (with a three year old, haha) in preparation for the HG. I still can't remember when the vomiting set in during my last pregnancy. 6 weeks? 8? I remember wondering where it was and slightly hoping it would come, just to give me a sign that all was progressing as expected. I guess I got what I asked for. Haha.

One of my favorite and most-trusted herbalists says that wild yam tincture can help with HG. I have found that taking it now has helped ease the slight nausea.

Has anyone had HG for one pregnancy and then go on to not have it again? I hear this is rare, but I'm clinging to the possibility.

Blessings-
mountaingirlbl's Avatar mountaingirlbl 05:17 PM 10-08-2008
i forgot to mention...the only thing i could brush my teeth with was fennel toothpaste. who knows why... but it was the only thing that i could brush with without vomiting.

i also did a lot of rinsing; some days i just couldn't get the brush in my mouth. i had my only cavity develop when i was pregnant and probably because i couldn't brush three times a day. no way!
kohlby's Avatar kohlby 05:20 PM 10-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~lioneyes~ View Post
My drs took me off all vitamins except for folic acid when I had hyperemesis. When I was pg with DS, I don't know if it was really hyperemesis - I couldn't function but I managed without meds, which was a different story for three definite HG pgs. I was taken off vitamins when pg with him as well. My DD and DS were born perfectly healthy and still are today! I did just folic acid when I was sick. Later on, I did chlorophyll for iron at the end. My OB and RE said this was fine. When pg with DD, I found I could tolerate the gummy children's multi-vitamins. So, I managed to take those despite hyperemesis. I do take extra folic acid once again. I have trouble with adult vitamins when not pg, so I wasn't about to try prenatals even when I'm past the sick stage.
kohlby's Avatar kohlby 05:22 PM 10-08-2008
Quote:
i forgot to mention...the only thing i could brush my teeth with was fennel toothpaste. who knows why... but it was the only thing that i could brush with without vomiting.

i also did a lot of rinsing; some days i just couldn't get the brush in my mouth. i had my only cavity develop when i was pregnant and probably because i couldn't brush three times a day. no way!
I found I was able to brush with mentadent toothpaste - but there's no way I could have handled Tom's of Maine or Crest or most of the other toothpastes. Rinsing would have actually been harder for me. The meds made it possible for me to eat, but still feel sick. But drinking or even having liquids in my mouth was quite difficult.

Quote:
Has anyone had HG for one pregnancy and then go on to not have it again? I hear this is rare, but I'm clinging to the possibility.
My mum had HG with my older brother but not while pg with me nor my younger brother.
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 10:21 PM 10-08-2008
Quote:

Blessings-
Yes, but, sadly, I lost that one at 12 wks.
the_lissa's Avatar the_lissa 11:13 PM 10-08-2008
I had HG with my first two, but not this pregnancy. I was nauseous for two weeks, but now I am better.
MomtoXane's Avatar MomtoXane 10:56 AM 10-09-2008
My first HG pregnancy was very mild, my second HG pregnancy was enough that I never wanted to do that again! This is my third HG pregnancy and although I had a couple really bad weeks, I'm willing to try for a fourth...
seeing_stars's Avatar seeing_stars 07:03 PM 10-09-2008
The Zofran wasn't working great for me (8mg 3x/day) so I tried it in combination with the phenergan but the drowsiness is insane, I can't keep my eyes open for more than a few minutes. UGH. I would love to have a childcare option while I am feeling so sick,I feel guilty that I turn on cartoons,set them up with snacks and drinks then go back into my world of sickness, it doesn't seem fair for them
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 07:50 PM 10-09-2008
Quote:
The Zofran wasn't working great for me (8mg 3x/day) so I tried it in combination with the phenergan but the drowsiness is insane, I can't keep my eyes open for more than a few minutes. UGH. I would love to have a childcare option while I am feeling so sick,I feel guilty that I turn on cartoons,set them up with snacks and drinks then go back into my world of sickness, it doesn't seem fair for them
I know the feeling. My kids did ok, I know that, but I felt like such a lousy bad mom.
Azreial's Avatar Azreial 05:56 PM 10-10-2008
Anyone have "normal" pg's then end up with HG on a later one? This is pg #4 for me, with #1 I had quite a bit of m/s but it was over by 9-10wks; very little with #2 and none NONE with twins #3&4; but this pg hg

I'm 14 weeks and have been in 2x since last Friday for fluids. I'm on zofran 8mg and phenergan suppositories : alternating every 4 hours and ns is still kicking my butt. Thankfully the vomitting is down to "just" 3-4x/day mostly......

I just went in yesterday for fluids, 2 bags, and I'm starting to feel dehydrated again already I was really dehydrated yesterday though, so bad that they had to run the iv through a butterfly needle so maybe I needed more than 2 bags of fluids? I dunno

I'm down about 25 pounds from my pre-preg weight. My hair is coming out in chunks, I'm so tired all the time, and cranky, dh is all but fed up with it. I break down in tears regularry lately because I feel like its going to kill me.

How do you get through this? How do you not resent the baby or get angry at your body?
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 04:19 PM 10-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreial View Post
Anyone have "normal" pg's then end up with HG on a later one? This is pg #4 for me, with #1 I had quite a bit of m/s but it was over by 9-10wks; very little with #2 and none NONE with twins #3&4; but this pg hg
My mom did. Of 5 pregnancies, her 4th and 5th were extreme NV/HG. No dx, but based on her descriptions, I would lean toward it having been HG. My grandma had 8 kids and her 7th was HG.
NatureMama3's Avatar NatureMama3 07:37 PM 10-12-2008
The only way I got through it this last time was with my DH's loving support. If it hadn't been for him...... I really don't know what I would have done. I'm still weak as a kitten 4 1/2 months after baby was born.
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 01:09 PM 10-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
The only way I got through it this last time was with my DH's loving support. If it hadn't been for him...... I really don't know what I would have done. I'm still weak as a kitten 4 1/2 months after baby was born.
Mine was SO helpful. He did EVERYTHING!!!
forest~mama's Avatar forest~mama 07:31 PM 10-14-2008
I didn't brush my teeth much during my pregnancy-I know it's gross, but I would throw up no matter when I tried to do it. It took me a year after birth to get to where I could brush them without majorly gagging.

I was on Phenergan, and tried cutting the dose so that I could function. It didn't make the sickness go away, but I could sometimes keep food down. I hated that I used this during most of my pregnancy, but after a threat to go to the hospital for fluids, I gave in.

Whoever mentioned the prenatals that taste like a fruit smoothie-bless you! I will for sure be looking for those next time.

And to the question about financial issue due to pregnancy, I sort of had/have this. I thought I would be able to continue my online classes while pregnant, but couldn't. I had to take a year off total for pregnancy and baby (mostly pregnancy). Now I am trying to hold off on getting pg again until after school is finished because I fear that with a dd and the possibility of another hg pg, I would have to stop again. This puts my working and earning some income for the family even further out.
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  15  ... Last

Up