Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting) - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 630 Old 11-05-2008, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
Has anyone successfully treated/prevented HG naturally (As in no Zofran, Phenergan, etc)? If so, what did you do?

I didn't think I'd say this, but I really want another baby now that she's here (we're 6w pp). However, after having to deal with the babe's monthly blood tests (so heartbreaking to see her in pain and crying!) because of some of the stuff I was on during the pregnancy, I'd really like to not take stuff in a future pregnancy.

I perused to protocols on the HER site, but most of the stuff I've seen on there involves taking a bunch of meds.
Well I would suggest getting an h. pylori test. It requires antibiotics and ppi to treat, but you do that before you get pregnant.

Have you tried diclectin (unisom and b6?), it is the only class a drug for pregnancy here.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#242 of 630 Old 11-05-2008, 11:37 AM

I started out treating my HG naturally with herbs and homeopathics. I think I could have managed without any prescription drugs if I just had a little more encouragement. But my OB, my family, my friends just wanted me to take the meds. And of course you know when you're feeling so ill and so desperate it doesn't take much to be pushed!

FWIW my third HG pregnancy has been a lot milder than my second HG pregnancy and even though he isn't born yet, I'm planning to have a fourth (or even fifth!) lol...
#243 of 630 Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 PM

well the hg was doing better but I'm just about back up to the alternating zofran and phenergan every 4 hrs

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#244 of 630 Old 11-07-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
If you can get in touch with Spark (here and at helpher.org) she has a ton of info!! Also, try the pregnancy archives for morning sickness. She had a great regimen that was really helping her.
Thanks!
#245 of 630 Old 11-07-2008, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hugs to all of you mamas. I have one warning, learned through experience. Be sure to brush your teeth thoroughly, especially the backs of your top teeth. I did not do this well enough (since brushing after vomiting made me vomit again due to gagging). My dentist told me that my top teeth have significant erosion behind them causing my veneers to fall off.

So -- I know it's hard, but do your best to get the backs of your top teeth after vomiting.

It's so hard. I had severe hyperemesis with my first daughter from seven weeks until she was born, even vomiting during labor. So hopefully you won't have such a severe case, but be aware.
#246 of 630 Old 11-07-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post
Hugs to all of you mamas. I have one warning, learned through experience. Be sure to brush your teeth thoroughly, especially the backs of your top teeth. I did not do this well enough (since brushing after vomiting made me vomit again due to gagging). My dentist told me that my top teeth have significant erosion behind them causing my veneers to fall off.

So -- I know it's hard, but do your best to get the backs of your top teeth after vomiting.

It's so hard. I had severe hyperemesis with my first daughter from seven weeks until she was born, even vomiting during labor. So hopefully you won't have such a severe case, but be aware.
At the very least, rinse your mouth! I'm going through LOTS and LOTS of dental work right now for the same reason. And I DID brush/rinse!

A friend of mine is getting dentures soon. She's only 26.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#247 of 630 Old 11-07-2008, 02:27 PM

Yeah sometimes it doesn't even matter how much you brush, just the frequent vomiting can really damage the teeth.

#248 of 630 Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 PM

True! I had to have 15 fillings since my last pregnancy!
#249 of 630 Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 PM

i just returned from a three day stay at the hospital. IV and meds directly into my veins. i have to say, it was sweet relief. i was at the point of not being able to even walk to the bathroom to vomit when i realized that i needed help. i feel much better after being in the hospital. my midwives also realized the severity of the situation and have now given me a high rx for zofran (24 mg/day). i also have phenergen in case it gets bad.

whomever asked about non-med relief from HG... i have found some help with acupuncture. i usually come home from an appointment, vomit, then feel better for almost 24 hours. luckily we have a community acupuncture clinic where i live, so it is only $20 to be seen.

i didn't use any meds during my first HG pregnancy, although i lost a lot of weight and was miserable. i was living in rural alaska and they have never seen a case of HG and didn't really know what to do. this time around, as soon as my midwife presented the zofran option, i jumped on it. i'm usually not one to take pharmaceuticals (in fact, i avoid them religiously), but in this case i feel as though they are going to save me. my HG was worse this time (started at 6 weeks; i'm not almost 10) and i wasn't able to care for my three year old at all. i thought it was my only choice.

the ob in the hospital told me that h. pylori could be making the HG much worse--turning normal morning sickness into HG. he also suggested it could be my thyroid. he recommended against treating the h. pylori while pregnant, although he said it could be done. being on so many meds already, i've decided against it.

i just want to say again that it is so nice to know there are people out there who "get" what i'm going through. even the nurse in the hospital said, "have you tried eating crackers before you get out of bed or sipping on ginger ale." ahhh! gotta love 'em.
#250 of 630 Old 11-08-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Girl! I'm glad you're back and doing better!

What an ordeal.

I really need to look into H. Pylori stuff for myself. Not that I'm having any more babies, mind you!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#251 of 630 Old 11-08-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirlbl View Post
i just want to say again that it is so nice to know there are people out there who "get" what i'm going through. even the nurse in the hospital said, "have you tried eating crackers before you get out of bed or sipping on ginger ale." ahhh! gotta love 'em.
"No, I just decided I liked the hospital so much that I *had* to come and visit for an IV cocktail before the baby was born. I figured the best way to do that was to puke my brains out for a while. Maybe I'll try crackers before rising when I get home now that I've been here." :
People can be so dense.
I'm glad you're back.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#252 of 630 Old 11-08-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaingirlbl View Post
whomever asked about non-med relief from HG... i have found some help with acupuncture. i usually come home from an appointment, vomit, then feel better for almost 24 hours. luckily we have a community acupuncture clinic where i live, so it is only $20 to be seen.
Thanks!

I know I may still wind up taking meds and know that sometimes the benefits outweigh possible consequences... I just think that I didn't really try much in the way of natural remedies this time. I trusted my OB blindly and pumped myself full of meds.
#253 of 630 Old 11-09-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Yeah sometimes it doesn't even matter how much you brush, just the frequent vomiting can really damage the teeth.
very true! my doc and midwife this past time told me to chew a tums (any kind I could get down) after each vomit to neutralize my mouth. it REALLY helped. I have far less damage this time than the past 2 times. The chocolate tums and tropical tums worked the best in terms of taste.
#254 of 630 Old 11-10-2008, 03:21 PM

Hi,
So just wanting to know if I'm realy strange or this is the norm. If I'm sitting down and being still I only feel mildly queasy but as soon as I get up to walk elsewhere in the house I immediatly am overwhelmed with nausea and just have time to run to the bathroom and be sick. Then I get about 10min of grace where I can do whatever it was I got up for but if I'm not back on that sofa then I'm back in throwing up again. So is it normal for the vomitting to be triggered by movement?
MEl
#255 of 630 Old 11-10-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulagrl View Post
Hi,
So just wanting to know if I'm realy strange or this is the norm. If I'm sitting down and being still I only feel mildly queasy but as soon as I get up to walk elsewhere in the house I immediatly am overwhelmed with nausea and just have time to run to the bathroom and be sick. Then I get about 10min of grace where I can do whatever it was I got up for but if I'm not back on that sofa then I'm back in throwing up again. So is it normal for the vomitting to be triggered by movement?
MEl
In a nutshell, yes it is for HG.
Many women (from what I've read) have "motion sickness" only when they're suffering from HG.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#256 of 630 Old 11-10-2008, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Do you have an ear infection or excess fluid? I'd wonder about that, too, and probably have a doc look at my ears.

#257 of 630 Old 11-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Hi,
MEl
Yeah I get sick by motion too. Forget running, even walking triggers it. Sex is also a motion trigger for me.

#258 of 630 Old 11-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Hi,
MEl
I wasn't really motion triggered, but I know a lot of women on the HER message boards were. A couple times car rides did it for me though.
#259 of 630 Old 11-10-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Yeah I get sick by motion too. Forget running, even walking triggers it. Sex is also a motion trigger for me.
Yep- I had the same issues

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#260 of 630 Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 PM

This just reminded me of one time when I was pregnant with my first and tried to drive my husband an hour away to work, so I coudl use the car that day. Oh man. Worst day of my life, hands down. I threw up so much on the side of teh road. We didn't make it, and a 2 hour round trip turned into a 8 hour trip with all the puking stops.

#261 of 630 Old 11-10-2008, 07:09 PM

Mine started with an 8-hour car trip. Miserable!!!

I suspect that my neck was messed up though. Chiropractic got it back in alignment but didn't stop the puking. It did stop the spinning-in-3D sensation.
#262 of 630 Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 PM

Yikes mamas. I know my situation is a joke compared to many of you, but MAN, some days I wonder if I'm going to make it all the way through this pregnancy w/o going crazy or starving to death. The only break I get is when I'm not conscious, and although I'm not puking (thankfully), I always am right on the verge, which sometimes in my haze feels worse than when I dream of puking and getting it over with so I'd feel better. But I know I wouldn't feel better, I'd feel worse.

I thought it was bad that the constant nausea started at 6 weeks last time, but this time it was 3... which was basically the instant it implanted probably. I'm managing better this time with a constant supply of ginger in many forms, but I'm requiring more and more potent doses already (I'm only 6 weeks today).

I've only actually been pregnant for 3 weeks and I'm already huddled on the floor in my living room while I try to appease my 2.5 yr old. I wanted to send out some s to those of you who are in the same boat, or the many of you who are worse off. I hate to complain since at least I'm not actively puking my brains out, but this isn't a way to live either.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#263 of 630 Old 11-11-2008, 12:59 AM

Vortexing,
I used ginger in the beginning too. The only constant with this has been change; I have to switch tactics every few days.

FWIW, my 3.5 yo DD has watched waaay too many educational DVD's these past several months. Thank goodness for the public library.

Hang in there!
#264 of 630 Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 AM

At least they're educational. I can't even get to the library and its closed by the time DH is home. My four year old has been living on Disney movies and Spiderman.
Mel
#265 of 630 Old 11-11-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortexing View Post
Yikes mamas. I know my situation is a joke compared to many of you, but MAN, some days I wonder if I'm going to make it all the way through this pregnancy w/o going crazy or starving to death.
I felt this way so many times! Hang in there! You mentioned another child so I know you know it is worth it, but it always helped me to hear it.
#266 of 630 Old 11-11-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
At least they're educational. I can't even get to the library and its closed by the time DH is home. My four year old has been living on Disney movies and Spiderman.
Mel
Hey, don't feel too bad. DD's new favorite is "Spongebob" (which I can't stand and don't normally allow). When she manages to find it she comes into the room where I'm crashed and says in a singsong taunt, "Mooooommmmy, I watching Sponge-bob!" And runs out giggling like it's the best joke ever. LOL
#267 of 630 Old 11-11-2008, 04:50 PM

during my 2nd pregnancy my older son lived off of cereal bars, fast food and cartoons. I felt SO bad for him! I still feel guilty over it! I for some reason thought I wouldn't get as sick so I didn't prepare well.

this time? I was right in the middle of moving!! I was packing boxes and all sorts of things. my grandiose plans to cook like mad the first few weeks so I would have a freezer full were smashed. can't haul that many frozen meals around for hours while moving anyhow. *sigh* it hits me at 6 weeks so I only have 2 weeks of very little nausea before it hit full blast.

I HOPE next time I am able to stock the freezer with healthy meals and all sorts of grand things. thankfully i have a husband who can cook and a nearby church brought us several meals while I was very ill. now I'm a bit better so I fend for myself, but it's never complicated meals. just quick meals. lots of sandwiches and eggs. we don't eat out much b/c my daughter and i are celiac... it gets complicated.

and my kids watch way too many videos. that is the part i hate the most. *sigh*

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#268 of 630 Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
I felt this way so many times! Hang in there! You mentioned another child so I know you know it is worth it, but it always helped me to hear it.
Yeah, that's what my DH keeps telling me. I've been sort of hesitant to get too excited about this baby since it's so early and our chances of m/c are still lurking (though I'm 1 for 1, so I'm not at any increased risk), which I think makes this worse for me. Last time it seemed like as soon as I decided we were out of the woods wrt m/c, my nausea got a lot better... Irrational, I know, but a lot of pregnancy for me seems to be irrational.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#269 of 630 Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 PM

ugh. not good memories for sure. My kids had to have a crash course in cooking because I *could not* set foot in the kitchen. They (8 at first, then 9) learned how to cook oatmeal, burritos, PBJ, boil eggs, etc. It was sink or swim for them. DH had to do all the rest of the cooking when I'd been THE sole cook in the family pretty much forever (Dh occasionally made things, but only his signature dishes). We ate a lot we wouldn't otherwise and the pizza delivery people weren't strangers.

The kids pretty much became wolves too. They knew full well I couldn't do anything more than holler at them from my bed. The house was regularly decimated, crayons/paper everywhere, books all over, etc. Though eventually I couldn't even make it to the library once a month with them.

I'm very, very glad to be done with that and not sad at all that I won't go through all THAT again. I grieve over not being able to have another child, but not the pregnancy part.
#270 of 630 Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 AM

HennyPenny,
My son and I are Celiacs as well. It was diagnosed during my last pregnancy and I naively thought since I stopped puking when I went gluten free (within 48hrs) that it was the root of my HG and since all of my other health problems cleared up in the last 18 months that I would be fine this pregnancy - WRONG I did manage to fill a freezer full of food. I didn't even know/suspect I was pregnant but was suddenly overcome with the urge to do once a month cooking, which I hadn't done in over 5yrs. I filled the freezer full of food and a week later got a positive pregnancy test. Two weeks later I was in full blown HG. It is hard cooking because not only are my son and I not able to have wheat, I'm sensitive to corn and my younger son is in the process of outgrowing dairy and tomato sensitivities. We get realy creative around here when it comes to food
Melody

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page